mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » Tyre Tracks & Broken Hearts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11 May 2012, 09:28   #1
White of High
Nature's Siegfried
 
Join Date: 27.05.2002
Location:  Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 2,930
Default 116. Mad Mad World (The Good God Is A Woman And She Don't Like Ugly)

This is the START OUT OF HELL & ARRIVE TO HEAVEN topic.
Let's Go to Rock 'n' Roll!!!!!!!

Mad Mad World (The Good God Is A Woman And She Don't Like Ugly) (4)

C'mon! C'mon! C'mon!

Melody of Mad Mad World would be one of the best on the album, but lyrics is flat. Rap in a rock song is always dumb to me. I hated Aerosmith ft. Run DMC, so this song won't be my favorite either. I hope this isn't the new way Meat wanted to find...

My score: 4
White of High is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Dislike This Post.
Old 11 May 2012, 09:34   #2
Mr. Happy
The Happy?
 
Join Date: 13.02.2010
Location:  Australia
Posts: 733
Default

I'd give it a 4, too. It's an interesting song, but rap's just not my thing, even if it has Meat Loaf on it. Sorry
Mr. Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2012, 10:28   #3
RSG
Mega Loafer
 
Join Date: 27.07.2003
Location:  Canada
Posts: 3,237
Default

Fantastic track! Real modern, clear and advanced! Great on the album, it's alot of fun and in alot ways it reminds me of how I got into Meat Loaf in the first place. Vibrant colours of sound and creativity!
RSG is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 11 May 2012, 12:08   #4
Adje
trying to be realistic
 
Join Date: 28.09.2007
Location:  
Posts: 1,873
Default

The song would have gotten a 4 or 5 without the rap/hiphop crap. But that just makes it unbearable for me to listen to

2
Adje is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Dislike This Post.
Old 11 May 2012, 12:38   #5
DJLeen
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 27.04.2011
Location:  Vlimmeren , Belgium
Posts: 212
Default

Oh come on, it's a great song the rap thing fits in it perfectly !! Don't understand me wrong...i don't like rap or any kind of that style...but in Mad Mad World, it fits perfectly... So...

A 10 !!!!!!!!!
DJLeen is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 11 May 2012, 12:48   #6
CarylB
Mega Loafer
 
Join Date: 16.04.2003
Location: Sheffield UK
Posts: 5,888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSG View Post
Fantastic track! Real modern, clear and advanced! Great on the album, it's a lot of fun and in a lot ways it reminds me of how I got into Meat Loaf in the first place. Vibrant colours of sound and creativity!
I'd agree with so much of that. Such a strong track which to me stands as the crescendo of all the frustration and concern that is at the heart of the album.

I've always said rap isn't my cup of tea, but largely from a position of ignorance as it's something I don't listen to' haven't tried to understand, and tend to avoid. But I also find little to interest me in so much churned out pop, am left unmoved by quite a bit of rock music, and would never describe myself as a follower of country .. yet there are some country singers or country songs that have grabbed me, some pop songs which do the same. Some of the latter just come across as pretty featureless, whereas much rap comes across as insistent and angry, so I don't bother with them, have never worked to understand them, and to be honest may never do.

But I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Lil John's segment on SITS, and at how well the various styles came together, so I trusted Meat's ability to see how this could be done and to bring it off successfully, and listened to HIAH with an open mind. How glad I am that I did. Hearing some brilliant rap integrated perfectly into a powerful track from Meat has given me a new found respect for a musical style I have always eschewed, when delivered at its best, by one of the best, in a context that seems wholly appropriate, rather than pumping out of huge speakers in a passing car

To me (although I may never get really into the rap genre because the anger, frustration and dismissiveness that seem to me to be so much at its heart don't appeal to me most of the time), Chuck D's contribution is perfect, and brings the frustrated anger of MMW into sharp relief with a stroke of genius.

To me this isn't Meat trying to crowbar something "modern" into his work, but that he is interested exploring and getting to understand other forms of music. Nor is it a new style he has adopted; he is also intelligent enough musically not to attempt it himself, but to bring in someone who IS that style. Rather I see this as his musically intuitive understanding that it is exactly what was required to give the track a core strength that could only be achieved this way, and the wisdom to bring in the perfect exponent of the musical form who then delivered something quite exceptional. I can only imagine how Meat and Paul's jaws must have dropped when they received the tape, and they have integrated it brilliantly. For all these reasons it is a stand-out track which gets a solid and thoroughly impressed 10 from me.

Caryl

Last edited by CarylB; 11 May 2012 at 13:03.
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2012, 13:46   #7
Meat Loaf_fan
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 01.03.2008
Location:  Gdańsk (Poland)
Posts: 303
Default

Hmmm ... I don't know ... Although rap is just not my thing I should give it (to this song) justice:
- first - Meat is singing main parts and, what's more, he is singing by most of the time,
- second - Chuck D is, maybe not the best but still, quite good singer.
How to sum up? Perhaps in this way: 6,5/10.



PS. I like collaboration between Aerosmith and Run DMC. It is exception (for me) ... but it is.
Meat Loaf_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Dislikes This Post.
Old 11 May 2012, 14:06   #8
White of High
Nature's Siegfried
 
Join Date: 27.05.2002
Location:  Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 2,930
Default

Meat could sing 'The Good God Is A Woman' part of the song but he recorded rap by Chuck D. Why? What's the point? The main point is marketing, album selling.

Rap in Meat's music cannot be more than a marketing thing. Lil John and Chuck D are mainstream rappers. They are on the album to open to another audience and sell the album. How many Chuck D or Lil John fans have bought HIAHB because of their idol? How many Meat fans have bought the Ted Nugent album because of our idol?

The same story was Hugh Laurie, Jack Black or Jennifer Hudson. It's no problem just I keep funny when people want to explain how a rap suit a Meat song or Meat's new style...

I don't know a lot about rap but I think 'The Goog God Is A Woman' is not good rap at all...
White of High is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Users Dislike This Post.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 11 May 2012, 14:11   #9
The Flying Mouse
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.
 
Join Date: 06.08.2002
Location:  In the middle of nowhere near the end of the line.
Posts: 16,104
Default

Needs less rap.
The Flying Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Dislikes This Post.
Old 11 May 2012, 16:11   #10
mtaylor315
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 12.02.2010
Location:  Dundee, Scotland
Posts: 261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by White of High View Post
I don't know a lot about rap but I think 'The Goog God Is A Woman' is not good rap at all...
I disagree. I listen to rap music very often and I think this particular one is very good.

And 10 from me. The whole song is just perfect x
mtaylor315 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Dislikes This Post.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 11 May 2012, 16:35   #11
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night
 
Join Date: 23.07.2008
Location:  On the edge of town (in the Darkness...)
Posts: 1,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by White of High View Post
Rap in Meat's music cannot be more than a marketing thing. Lil John and Chuck D are mainstream rappers. They are on the album to open to another audience and sell the album. How many Chuck D or Lil John fans have bought HIAHB because of their idol? How many Meat fans have bought the Ted Nugent album because of our idol?
It's definitely true that often genre "crossover' is used to sell records, but I don't think it's a huge factor in this case. It's impossible to know without marketing figures, but my guess is that probably not many Chuck D or Lil John fans bought HIAHB because of their contributions, especially nowadays when people can easily buy just one track from iTunes without having to purchase the whole album. I can't speak for anyone else, but I have "Free-For-All" because I like Ted Nugent.

Personally, I like "Mad, Mad, World" a lot- it's probably one of my favorite songs on the album. I really don't listen to rap either, but it's more because of the content than the style for me. In this song, I think it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Mouse
Needs less rap.
And more cowbell.
Julie in the rv mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2012, 16:48   #12
Sarge
Mega Loafer
 
Join Date: 08.05.2008
Posts: 3,562
Default

I'm tired of the guest vocalists* on recent Meat Loaf albums, I can't stand Stand In The Storm**, incl. the Lil' Jon rap (not only because I'm not interested in those DT show folks at all) but I like the Chuck D part that was added to the Cochrane song. Mad Mad World itself lacks variety, Chuck D saves it from sounding mediocre.


* I.e. those I fail to see what kind of musical relationship they have to him.
** The only good thing about it were Meat Loaf's vocals on the original version. Haven't heard the new one.

Last edited by Sarge; 11 May 2012 at 17:35.
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Dislike This Post.
Old 11 May 2012, 17:47   #13
CarylB
Mega Loafer
 
Join Date: 16.04.2003
Location: Sheffield UK
Posts: 5,888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by White of High View Post
Meat could sing 'The Good God Is A Woman' part of the song but he recorded rap by Chuck D. Why? What's the point? The main point is marketing, album selling.

Rap in Meat's music cannot be more than a marketing thing. Lil John and Chuck D are mainstream rappers. They are on the album to open to another audience and sell the album. How many Chuck D or Lil John fans have bought HIAHB because of their idol? How many Meat fans have bought the Ted Nugent album because of our idol?
Again you present your view as if it were fact. I disagree entirely with your view that Meat includes such things to sell more albums. In my view he is collaborative, creative, and constantly open to new ideas, new genres.

Lil John was an integral part of the Backbone team, so the four artists collaborated on a song to raise money for their charities. Meat then wanted to include a track he was proud of and which fitted the overall concept/meaning of the album. These are facts.

Quote:
The same story was Hugh Laurie, Jack Black or Jennifer Hudson.
He was working with Hugh Laurie, knew he is a great piano player, and wanted to collaborate. He knows Jack Black and wanted to do the same. I do not know if anyone pushed Jennifer Hudson (nor do you of course) but again, she has a great voice, and Meat enjoys collaborating.

Quote:
It's no problem just I keep funny when people want to explain how a rap suit a Meat song or Meat's new style...
You may find it amusing. I find it interesting to hear people's views, all of which are just as valid as your view .. perhaps even a bit more open-minded.

Quote:
I don't know a lot about rap but I think 'The Goog God Is A Woman' is not good rap at all...
An odd platform on which to base judgement, but at least this is presented as your thought. I don't know how typical of the genre this rap is. I do know Chuck D is held to be one of the best. If it's atypical perhaps that's why I liked it so much more than much of the rap I hear and pass on. Or perhaps it's because he IS the best? Whatever, the hard, angry sound emphasises the message in MMW brilliantly in my view, and is integrated perfectly.

Caryl
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 11 May 2012, 17:56   #14
Evil One
Mega Loafer
 
Join Date: 15.01.2007
Posts: 5,128
Default

2
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Dislike This Post.
Old 11 May 2012, 21:11   #15
Dave
Mega Loafer
 
Join Date: 12.04.2002
Location:  Southern Ohio - United States of America
Posts: 2,564
Default

I stand by my comments on the review I wrote for my website...

Quote:
Good classic southern rock track that has a surprisingly amazing and fitting rap interlude by another music legend, Chuck D of Public Enemy. There has been much criticism of Meat Loaf including the rap genre on this album, but as with all good storytelling, sometimes you must have the right “voice” to get the message across. The album, Hell In A Handbasket, really needs to push the listener into uncomfortable areas to adequately convey the message. Kudos for bringing Chuck D into the mix for the song!
Chuck D's contribution was brilliant and no...it could not have been performed by Meat Loaf. There is no way that even had Meat Loaf been presented with those lyrics that he would have delivered them like Chuck D did. There is an anger in the voice of a true rap artist that cannot be denied, there is an anger in the voice of America that cannot be denied...Meat Loaf wanted to illustrate the world is going to Hell In A Handbasket and this was the perfect way to do so.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Users Like This Post.
Old 11 May 2012, 21:55   #16
White of High
Nature's Siegfried
 
Join Date: 27.05.2002
Location:  Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 2,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarylB View Post
Again you present your view as if it were fact. I disagree entirely with your view that Meat includes such things to sell more albums. In my view he is collaborative, creative, and constantly open to new ideas, new genres.
That's naive. It's 2012 when you have to do a lot to sell yourself. In my view Meat has never been collaborative before, it's full of marketing now. Dennis Quaid is a friend of Meat, he has a rock band and they have never cooperated. Why? Because Dennis Quiad is not trendy.

Hugh Laurie as Dr. House is trendy, Jack Black is very trendy. Rap is ace as well. That's my view...
White of High is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Dislike This Post.
Old 11 May 2012, 22:13   #17
CarylB
Mega Loafer
 
Join Date: 16.04.2003
Location: Sheffield UK
Posts: 5,888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by White of High View Post
That's naive.
And that's somewhat impertinent. After all, I don't describe your opinions as bitterly resentful that Meat has moved on from Steinman.

Quote:
It's 2012 when you have to do a lot to sell yourself. In my view Meat has never been collaborative before, it's full of marketing now. ...
Your view. One with which I do not accord. In my view Meat is motivated by other things than selling and marketing himself. Dave summed it up well I think when he said "There is an anger in the voice of a true rap artist that cannot be denied"

In my view that's why Meat felt he wanted a rap artist, and this followed his exploring the genre after meeting Lil John. Paul suggested ChuckD.

Caryl
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Like This Post.
Old 11 May 2012, 22:24   #18
White of High
Nature's Siegfried
 
Join Date: 27.05.2002
Location:  Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 2,930
Default

Sorry, in Hungarian naive is not a bad word. But I keep my opinion. Rap and Meat cannot be more, only marketing...
White of High is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Dislikes This Post.
Old 11 May 2012, 22:59   #19
RSG
Mega Loafer
 
Join Date: 27.07.2003
Location:  Canada
Posts: 3,237
Default

Marion Raven sounded like marketing to me. Because she had a solo career on the rise and to work with Meat she had opportunities to be on more TV and touring the world. Something I'm sure would have taken a little more time without Meat, imo.

As for Mr. Laurie, we've heard Meat say that he slipped Hugh a note asking him about recording a song. Hugh agreed. I don't see it anymore than that. Same applies with Jack, I see them both as enthusiastic artists who wanted to play a song together.

In reguards to the hip hop, its rather surprising to hear on the new ML album. But I see it lesser marketing and more a collaborative effort. It was experimental and to me it was successful.
RSG is offline   Reply With Quote
6 Users Like This Post.
Old 12 May 2012, 01:02   #20
Elijah's way
Soul Auctioneer
 
Join Date: 26.06.2005
Location:  Muscle Shoals, AL
Posts: 1,529
Default

4
Elijah's way is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Dislikes This Post.
Old 12 May 2012, 16:05   #21
CarylB
Mega Loafer
 
Join Date: 16.04.2003
Location: Sheffield UK
Posts: 5,888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSG View Post
Marion Raven sounded like marketing to me. Because she had a solo career on the rise and to work with Meat she had opportunities to be on more TV and touring the world. Something I'm sure would have taken a little more time without Meat, imo.
Oh I agree with that .. although imo this came from the record company who wanted to promote her career, rather than Meat wanting to sell more albums which seems to be the burden of WoH's song. It was to push another artist's career rather than sell significant additional copies of Bat3.

Caryl
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 13 May 2012, 04:17   #22
LisaT
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 10.02.2006
Location:  Southampton, UK
Posts: 661
Default

Have never been a fan of rap and am never likely to be! However, Chuck D's part in this song works really well imo. One of my favourites on the album. My score: 10
LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 14 May 2012, 10:52   #23
olblueeyes
Senior Loafer
 
Join Date: 05.04.2010
Location:  Kirkcaldy, Scotland
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by White of High

Dennis Quaid is a friend of Meat, he has a rock band and they have never cooperated. Why? Because Dennis Quiad is not trendy.
Yes they have. Perhaps not on record but if you saw the In Search Of Paradise documentary you'll recall he had DQ come out and do a song with him on the Canadian leg of the 3 Bats tour in 2007. The opportunity presented itself and Meat took it, much like the story of Hugh Laurie.

On topic, MMW gets an 8.5 from me. I don't really like rap but I don't hate it either. The Chuck D part works great and I live the transition from the rap part back into MMW. A great moment on an album littered with great moments.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
olblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2012, 09:56   #24
RSG
Mega Loafer
 
Join Date: 27.07.2003
Location:  Canada
Posts: 3,237
Default

I would just like to say a few words about Chuck's piece. In rap, diamonds and jewellery is a common theme in this artform. Many have real large and expensive bling. After much repetition (sp?) from rap artists in the mainstream Chuck brings a different light about the jewellery which is pretty neat. real unique spin on the subject. Hell In A Handbasket is more pleasing each day I play it. Always in full.
RSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2012, 22:24   #25
RSG
Mega Loafer
 
Join Date: 27.07.2003
Location:  Canada
Posts: 3,237
Default

After reading the lyrics I see the diamonds may actually be the songs. Anybody else see it? My above post was written at 4 am when i should have been sleeping!!
Anybody see anything different? Similar?
RSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:59.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - mlukfc.com
Made by R.

Page generated in 0.09378 seconds with 13 queries.