mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » Tyre Tracks & Broken Hearts

View Poll Results: Do you like how the F word is used in Like A Rose?
Yes 43 81.13%
No 4 7.55%
I dont like the song. I couldn't care less 6 11.32%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 18 Oct 2010, 00:28   #101
Pudding
I'm A Prize Fight Lover...
 
Join Date: 22.10.2003
Location:  New Zealand
Posts: 5,532
Default

I have no problem with the word f*ck, I use it often. I find issue with people who find it unacceptable normally but suddenly acceptable when Meat Loaf uses it and any other profanity....WTF?
Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2010, 00:33   #102
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!
 
Join Date: 18.01.2004
Location:  Northamptonshire
Posts: 7,085
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudding View Post
I have no problem with the word f*ck, I use it often. I find issue with people who find it unacceptable normally but suddenly acceptable when Meat Loaf uses it and any other profanity....WTF?
Well some claim it's artistic I guess. I don't see it. The Paradise endings I like though I really thought some of the swearing before Objects on the 3 Bats tour was over the top actually and not necessary. It's really not the type of song you should do that before imo. It kind of destroys the mood with the piano playing the Objects intro chords.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2010, 01:09   #103
Pudding
I'm A Prize Fight Lover...
 
Join Date: 22.10.2003
Location:  New Zealand
Posts: 5,532
Default

I should have pointed out that although I don't mind the word f*ck, I don't like to hear it in songs and on stage.
Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2010, 06:51   #104
Elijah's way
Soul Auctioneer
 
Join Date: 26.06.2005
Location:  Muscle Shoals, AL
Posts: 1,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Well some claim it's artistic I guess. I don't see it. The Paradise endings I like though I really thought some of the swearing before Objects on the 3 Bats tour was over the top actually and not necessary. It's really not the type of song you should do that before imo. It kind of destroys the mood with the piano playing the Objects intro chords.
I completely agree with you there. I wish he wouldn't cuss before songs like that.
Elijah's way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2010, 07:00   #105
Sarge
Mega Loafer
 
Join Date: 08.05.2008
Posts: 3,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieq View Post
I think you may have been taken advantage of...those versions suck you may want to file a complaint to whoever robbed you of your coin.
I don't know what you're talking about. There is nothing wrong with the Brantley CDs. I like his music and I neither feel "robbed of my coin" nor the urge to "file a complaint". I prefer his arrangements of Peace On Earth and Living On The Outside to Meat's (I like Meat's versions of Madness and PFLSA better than Brantley's though).
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2010, 08:35   #106
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!
 
Join Date: 18.01.2004
Location:  Northamptonshire
Posts: 7,085
Default

Is there any song left on HCTB which hasn't appeared elsewhere?

I know some people think the Jim Steinman thing was the same but I'm not so sure it is. With the songs appearing in all such random places I was especially surprised to hear that live band rendition of Like a Rose and the audience knowing all the words back in August 2009. I definitely thought Peace on Earth was a Meat only one, knew PFL wasn't (though Brantley rendition's sucks ass compared to Meat's majestical one).
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2010, 09:38   #107
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...
 
Join Date: 05.01.2007
Location:  Masculine, Pennsylvania
Posts: 9,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Is there any song left on HCTB which hasn't appeared elsewhere?
IICHY, California, and Lesbian Love
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2010, 19:19   #108
allrevvedup
"Most things that i worry about, never happen anyway"
 
Join Date: 29.11.2003
Location:  Liverpool
Posts: 5,362
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Something that's available on the market for money is a release, in my opinion, regardless of whether it's a single, an EP or a LP.
and I hope you stand by that opinion when my album comes out



Firstly...that 5 pages of madness to read through.

Secondly...I personally don't think the song needs the 'f-bomb' and it feels like it's just there to say 'Hey, this is not a Bat of Hell album and we can do what we want'

It's a decent song it's catchy and if Meat's complaint (found in an interview a couple of months back) that the record company dropped the ball by not pushing this as a series single release then maybe you can understand why as it's a lot safer and profitable to release songs that are radio friendly rather than songs that have 'explicit content'

yes eminem has made his career over that and he's done it so much now that i don't believe anyone notices the masking of the profanity and i'm off the belief that if you want to curse on a track, fair enough but don't try to insult people's intelligence by masking it or asking people to get on board with as a single because automatically you're changing your target audience dramatically.

I appreciate Meat wants to go a different direction then previous albums and to be honest, I'm not that bothered about Patrick nor of the belief that this was the running plan all along for the album but hey if it can be used as a way to get extra copy in the reviews or interviews then fair enough because there's very few artists that can still command a review in the major music/entertainment press nowadays.

The whole Monday Night Raw thing was a key to the difficulty Meat was having with selling the product to the masses since I remember he had to stop himself while trying to sing the chorus to California isn't Big Enough. The WWE has moved on from the days of 'Attitude' and 't & a' into a kid friendly product which limits the use of 'd***' obviously.

As an album track it doesn't bother me what lyrics he uses for the album but with 'Nipplegate' still fresh in television executives' minds trying to push an album with profanity into the mainstream is more difficult than ever.
allrevvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2010, 20:26   #109
olblueeyes
Senior Loafer
 
Join Date: 05.04.2010
Location:  Kirkcaldy, Scotland
Posts: 146
Default

Gotta say, I really don't find anything wrong with it, regardless of context. If Frank Sinatra had used words like that then sure, I could understand people being shocked - it wouldn't have fit with his type of music. Although I there's a performance where he can be heard saying to the band off mic after performing Strangers In the Night "That's the worst f***in song I ever heard".

Meat is a rock star though and I don't have a problem with him swearing, whether it's just cussing as in "shove it up your ass" or if it's explicitly about sex. I don't imagine there was this shock when Jack Black released F*** Her Gently with Tenacious D.
olblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2010, 20:42   #110
allrevvedup
"Most things that i worry about, never happen anyway"
 
Join Date: 29.11.2003
Location:  Liverpool
Posts: 5,362
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblueeyes View Post
Meat is a rock star though and I don't have a problem with him swearing, whether it's just cussing as in "shove it up your ass" or if it's explicitly about sex. I don't imagine there was this shock when Jack Black released F*** Her Gently with Tenacious D.

but, audiences that know of Meat Loaf, more recently from 1993-2006, know of the 'kinder, gentler' Anything for love Loaf that sings ballads and duets and so to throw a song with profanity out there will definitely be a shock to the system. Sometimes that works brilliantly and sometimes it falls flat because people will not accept the change; no matter how much you try to convince them it is right.
allrevvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2010, 21:24   #111
Drumbum
Senior Loafer
 
Join Date: 14.04.2010
Location:  Galway
Posts: 122
Default

Meh, cursing is very much a part of the culture around where I live, even in a sexual sense.
Drumbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2010, 22:00   #112
24K
Mega Loafer
 
Join Date: 20.10.2003
Location:  WAY UP NORTH
Posts: 1,923
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Why did I pay money for Rick Brantley's CDs then? Why are they available in online stores?
I have Rick Branteys cd, his last one, i like it a lot, i don't feel i was robbed either and have no complaints.

I really don't have a problem with Meat saying fu,ck in a song, personally i believe if you don't like it, then don't listen to it. A simple matter of choice imo.

However i do believe that people have a right and choice to state that they do not like the word fuc,k in LAR and why.

Just as those that do like it have the same option.

Thats the fuc,king last you will fuc,king hear from me on the fuc,king matterLOL......

Last edited by 24K; 18 Oct 2010 at 22:07. Reason: Fuc,k !
24K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2010, 05:46   #113
Pudding
I'm A Prize Fight Lover...
 
Join Date: 22.10.2003
Location:  New Zealand
Posts: 5,532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24K View Post
I really don't have a problem with Meat saying fu,ck in a song, personally i believe if you don't like it, then don't listen to it. A simple matter of choice imo.
So people shouldn't listen to a whole song because they find the use of the word fu.ck unnecessary?
Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2010, 07:32   #114
Elijah's way
Soul Auctioneer
 
Join Date: 26.06.2005
Location:  Muscle Shoals, AL
Posts: 1,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudding View Post
So people shouldn't listen to a whole song because they find the use of the word fu.ck unnecessary?
pretty much
Elijah's way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2010, 15:18   #115
Sue K
Mega Loafer
 
Join Date: 20.04.2003
Posts: 13,041
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudding View Post
So people shouldn't listen to a whole song because they find the use of the word fu.ck unnecessary?
Now, there's a poll worth a go, maybe ? Who here skips LAR due to the use of the word fukc ?
Sue K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2010, 15:25   #116
Steve6
Batman
 
Join Date: 28.11.2005
Location:  Ireland
Posts: 1,690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink View Post
Now, there's a poll worth a go, maybe ? Who here skips LAR due to the use of the word fukc ?
I think that's pretty silly, it's not as if the word is going to jump out and hit the person. All songs played on the radio have the F word beeped out or else changed. I wouldn't buy an album if I was going to skip through all the swearing.
Steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2010, 15:43   #117
Elijah's way
Soul Auctioneer
 
Join Date: 26.06.2005
Location:  Muscle Shoals, AL
Posts: 1,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink View Post
Now, there's a poll worth a go, maybe ? Who here skips LAR due to the use of the word fukc ?
not me!! I skip it because I think it SUCKS!!
Elijah's way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2010, 15:49   #118
Sue K
Mega Loafer
 
Join Date: 20.04.2003
Posts: 13,041
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah's way View Post
not me!! I skip it because I think it SUCKS!!
Welp, my intention wasn't to open THAT door ... ... Just for the record, I let the album play straight through skipping nothing.
Sue K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2010, 18:13   #119
CarylB
Mega Loafer
 
Join Date: 16.04.2003
Location: Sheffield UK
Posts: 5,910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink View Post
Welp, my intention wasn't to open THAT door ... ... Just for the record, I let the album play straight through skipping nothing.
Me too

And also for the record I don't think your idea is "silly" at all, and not as daft as many polls here that get started!

Caryl
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2010, 23:51   #120
Pudding
I'm A Prize Fight Lover...
 
Join Date: 22.10.2003
Location:  New Zealand
Posts: 5,532
Default

I agree with Caryl the idea of a poll to see if people skip LAR because of the word fcuk in it is less silly than the plethora of polls we've had recently.
Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2010, 00:25   #121
Steve6
Batman
 
Join Date: 28.11.2005
Location:  Ireland
Posts: 1,690
Default

Does anyone have an idea what word he could have substituted the F word with? Only the people that were offended by the F word should answer this question.
Steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2010, 00:54   #122
carole
Mega Loafer
 
Join Date: 20.10.2007
Location:  Gold Coast
Posts: 2,286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarylB View Post
Me too

And also for the record I don't think your idea is "silly" at all, and not as daft as many polls here that get started!

Caryl
Same here, I don't skip any tracks on it either. The only tracks I ever skip on any of Meat's CD's are the 'non-songs' like the ridiculous Wasted Youth speech, the Fiesta de whatever and 45 seconds of ecstacy. And I don't think the poll idea was silly either.

Carole
carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2010, 01:04   #123
Pudding
I'm A Prize Fight Lover...
 
Join Date: 22.10.2003
Location:  New Zealand
Posts: 5,532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve6 View Post
Only the people that were offended by the F word should answer this question.
Some people might not be offended by the word but find the use of it completely unnecessary. Personally I find the whole chorus ass-backwards and all over the place. But they could've of used the word 'screw'.
Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2010, 01:09   #124
carole
Mega Loafer
 
Join Date: 20.10.2007
Location:  Gold Coast
Posts: 2,286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve6 View Post
Does anyone have an idea what word he could have substituted the F word with? Only the people that were offended by the F word should answer this question.
Well I'm not offended by the word, but I'm going to answer anyway. I don't think any other word would work or have the same impact.

Carole
carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2010, 01:12   #125
Pudding
I'm A Prize Fight Lover...
 
Join Date: 22.10.2003
Location:  New Zealand
Posts: 5,532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carole View Post
I don't think any other word would work or have the same impact.
What impact would that be then?
The beauty about Steinman is he used clever innuendo's without bordering vulgarity and he managed to get an impact.
Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:23.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - mlukfc.com
Made by R.

Page generated in 0.08545 seconds with 14 queries.