|
|
#1326 |
|
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.
![]() Join Date: 06.08.2002
Location:
Posts: 16,104
|
I read Insomnia recently, and it mentions many of the places and people from It, so it made me a little homesick for it |
|
|
|
|
|
#1327 |
|
Los Angeloser
![]() Join Date: 02.04.2010
Location:
Posts: 1,072
|
Out of Oz the last book in the wicked year series by Gregory Maguire
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1328 |
|
mszee's Mistress with sexy goddess boots
![]() Join Date: 13.07.2005
Location:
Posts: 7,686
|
Still struggling through The Catcher in The Rye, but it's been elbowed out temporarily by The Psychopath Test, by Jon Ronson, the man who wrote The Men Who Stare At Goats - so far, quite an amusing read!
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1329 |
|
Mega Loafer
![]() Join Date: 12.04.2002
Location:
Posts: 2,564
|
Tales Of The City - Armistead Maupin
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1330 |
|
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.
![]() Join Date: 06.08.2002
Location:
Posts: 16,104
|
Fitting enough, I was given it for xmas by my brother I'm about half way through at the moment, but just for japes I thought i'd look up a couple of reviews. One review said that "Ben Elton fails as a history teacher" while the next review says that there was too much history included which slowed the story and obscured the characters So there's either too much history, or not enough. I suppose when you've got people saying both at the same time you must be somewhere near the middle, which is pretty much the ballpark you want to be in. I'm not finding it a bad read so far. It's not the best book i've ever read, but the premise of the book is interesting enough. In Berlin in 1920 a young woman gives birth to twins, but one in stillborn. The doctor tells her of a child who has been born the same day, but whose mother died in delivery. The doctor asks if she would consider taking the other baby as one of her twins had died. You mind find that a little shocking, but you've got to remember the state of Germany at the time. With the war, the flu epidemic, and the constant political fighting (we're talking gunfire in the streets here) practical solutions were much more sought after than what could be classed as sentimentality. So the baby is born, and the boys are brought up as twins. But one is Jewish, and one is a Gentile. With the growth of the nazi party, and as Europe is once more plunged into war, the two brothers find themselves fighting on opposite sides. But i'm halfway through, and they are not on opposite sides, they're still in Berlin, still brothers, and there's still no indication of anything changing in the near future. Oh, they're both in love with the same girl. That's caused a few fisticuffs, but no big split. The story bounces a lot between the 20s/30s and 1956, where one of the brothers in embroilled in a cold war storyline, in which he receives a letter from the girl who both he and his brother were in love with, and who is now apparntly a member of the East German Secret Police. It's also been revelaled that the other brother served with the Waffen SS and was killed in action in 1943 (or was it 41?) So we've yet to get to the point where the brothers are forced apart, and there's still going to be a lot of things to be resolved in 1956. The brothers being on opposite sides of the war "premise" is losing pages here, and i'm not sure there is going to be much room to tell this part the tale which is supposed to be the hook I'm enjoying the book well enough, don't get me wrong, but there is some baggage that could have been lost without losing anything in the book. For instance, there is a story at one point about how their musician father, Wolfgang, finds himself becoming attracted to a woman who used to date his boss. There is a lot of talk about Jazz in general that really could have been thrown overboard with no great loss. He likes Jazz, we get it. There is supposed to be a great friendship between the boys, Dagmar (She's the one they're both in love. She's the jewish daughter of a wealthy shop owner, and has been taking music lessons from Wolfgang), and Silke (her mother worked as the maid for Wolfgang and his wife, until her mum's new nazi boyfriend made her leave her employment because he didn't want her working for Jews). But the common Silke is constantly jealous of upper class and aloof Dagmar because the boys like her better. She doesn't seem to like Dagmar at all, and now she's gone off into the BDM (Bund der Deutcher Madel - Nazi orginization for girls) it seems that the friendship isn't going to get much closer in the forseeable future As a group of faithful and devoted friends, it seems terribly flawed and conflicted (but perhaps that's the point?) Some of the language seems a little flawed. The way that Ben writes the diolouge of the West Indies lover of one of the brothers is particularly out of place. Never would I have thought i'd read the words "reefer" and "mon" in a story of Jewish persecution But the language of the Germans also sounds wrong to my mind. It sounds too American or British in it's form and use of slang. I've read enough books set during the war, and I can't say i've ever felt that way about how German characters speak. It sounds like I don't like this book at all doesn't it? I'm sticking with it though. The tale in itself is interesting enough to hold attention, and even the unneccersary sub stories (like Wolfgang's infatuation with the Jazz babe) are not too offensive (as long as you don't expect them to add anything to the plot, or perhaps it will later). I just hope the pay off is worth it. Prediction................ |
|
|
|
|
|
#1331 |
|
mszee's Mistress with sexy goddess boots
![]() Join Date: 13.07.2005
Location:
Posts: 7,686
|
After a conversation with Cathie the other week, I'm re-reading Dreamcatcher, by Stephen King.
|
|
|
|
| 1 User Likes This Post. |
|
|
#1332 | |
|
Spirit in the Night
![]() Join Date: 23.07.2008
Location:
Posts: 1,559
|
Quote:
I just finished the new Springsteen bio, "Bruce" by Peter Ames Carlin. I thought it wasn't bad- I learned a few things I didn't know, but it's very heavy on the early years and skims through the later ones. I'm almost embarrassed to say I'm reading "Fifty Shades Darker" (You know, the "Mommy porn" series? |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1333 | ||
|
mszee's Mistress with sexy goddess boots
![]() Join Date: 13.07.2005
Location:
Posts: 7,686
|
Quote:
Quote:
I'm reading Dreamcatcher, by Stephen King. |
||
|
|
|
|
|
#1334 |
|
Promoted to Wario's spellchecker
![]() Join Date: 17.09.2005
Location:
Posts: 12,947
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1335 | |
|
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.
![]() Join Date: 06.08.2002
Location:
Posts: 16,104
|
I don't even think i've still got a copy. One thing I really like about SK is how he often references his other works. Place names and characters often crop up, but not intrusivly. The mention of The Losers Club for instance. I'm trying to remember, is it a trucking yard that's mentioned in Dreamcatcher? And if so is it the Trackers Brothers? When I was re-reading It recently it mentioned the window that the boys would peek through, and I remember reading that in Dreamcatcher. Like Mr M, I thought the film was pretty good. Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1336 |
|
Relentless
![]() Join Date: 21.11.2003
Location:
Posts: 18,694
|
Yeah I like that, there are some great references to his other books in 11.22.63, probably more than I realise as I've not read all his books.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1337 |
|
The Monster Is Luce
![]() Join Date: 14.04.2002
Location:
Posts: 7,547
|
Yeah he's so good at that! I was reading Misery and it referenced the hotel from The Shining - scared me to death as I started to think it was all real!
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1338 | |
|
Biggles
![]() Join Date: 15.02.2011
Location:
Posts: 2,030
|
Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stanley_Hotel |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1339 |
|
The Monster Is Luce
![]() Join Date: 14.04.2002
Location:
Posts: 7,547
|
Ooohhh we are going there Andy!!!
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1340 | |
|
mszee's Mistress with sexy goddess boots
![]() Join Date: 13.07.2005
Location:
Posts: 7,686
|
Quote:
I've never seen the film, will look out for it tho' :0) |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1341 | |||
|
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.
![]() Join Date: 06.08.2002
Location:
Posts: 16,104
|
Quote:
Quote:
I wonder if it would make a good thread to post links from SK works? I know there's a few SK fans amongst us. Quote:
I remember it being pretty good. Think i'll watch it again sometime in the next couple of days |
|||
|
|
|
| 1 User Likes This Post. |
|
|
#1342 |
|
Relentless
![]() Join Date: 21.11.2003
Location:
Posts: 18,694
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1343 |
|
The Monster Is Luce
![]() Join Date: 14.04.2002
Location:
Posts: 7,547
|
I'm just coming to the end of Harry Potter and the Goblet Of Fire....a year since I started at the first book! I miss having time to read!
Can't decide whether to carry on to the next Harry Potter book or take a break from them and head to 11.22.63 |
|
|
|
|
|
#1344 | |
|
Spirit in the Night
![]() Join Date: 23.07.2008
Location:
Posts: 1,559
|
Quote:
I used to like Stephen King, but then I got grossed out for some reason when I started re-reading "The Stand" several years ago, and so I haven't read him anymore. My favorite author is Michael Crichton- pity he's passed away now. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1345 |
|
Biggles
![]() Join Date: 15.02.2011
Location:
Posts: 2,030
|
All quiet on the Western Front. Been on my list for too long!
Very tempted to read some Sherlock Holmes as they're all free on Amazon. |
|
|
|
|
|
#1346 | |
|
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.
![]() Join Date: 06.08.2002
Location:
Posts: 16,104
|
Quote:
I can't remember how faithful it is to the book because it's so long I read it. I'm pretty sure it deviates quite a lot in places. I won't post any spoliers, but i'd say that the alternate ending on the DVD is better than the one they went with. But that's just personal opinion |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1347 | |
|
Mega Loafer
![]() Join Date: 17.09.2011
Posts: 1,811
|
Quote:
I have never been a prolific reader, but Miss Rowling has ignited this old codger into action. I am currently on the third phase of the Hunger Games trilogy. I also have Seb Coe's autobiograhy to begin. In an unashamed effort to plug a new book, may I suggest "Sunlight and Slumber" by Katie Stuart. She is a local High Wycombe lass who has very recently released her first novel on Amazon under the e-books kindle thing. I only know her as a shop customer, but the few reviews available of her book seem like it's worth a try. Mrs. Chairboys has downloaded it for me, but I fear it may be quite some time before I get round to reading it. So, if any of you speedy readers can spare a day or two ( and a couple of quid!) to let me know if we are possibly the ones to kick-start a global phenomenom, I'd be very grateful. If you didn't catch it initially then let me repeat - SUNLIGHT AND SLUMBER! Last edited by chairboys; 26 Jan 2013 at 19:36. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1348 |
|
mszee's Mistress with sexy goddess boots
![]() Join Date: 13.07.2005
Location:
Posts: 7,686
|
Finished Dreamcatcher, moved on to Bag of Bones, as I saw the adaptation over Christmas...
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1349 |
|
Los Angeloser
![]() Join Date: 02.04.2010
Location:
Posts: 1,072
|
Still trying to get through the last Wizard if Oz book I'm finding it a real struggle to find time to read it and I'm a really fast reader!
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1350 |
|
mszee's Mistress with sexy goddess boots
![]() Join Date: 13.07.2005
Location:
Posts: 7,686
|
Have you ready the Gregory Maguire books? Wicked and Son if a Witch being the ones I can remember? I loved the way he turned my perception of the Wicked Witch of the West completely upside down!
|
|
|
|