PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages

Old 24 Oct 2004, 21:40   #1
griff4276
Rookie

Default local newspaper.

This is a review from my local newspaper,don't worry she has already had some well chosen words from me.

Meat Loaf Bat out of Hell Live with the Melborne Symphony orchestra.
Question:How do you remake a masterpiece?
Answer: You don't.This remake of the 1977 masterpiece using a full orchestra is Meat Loaf without the meat,a vegetarian lasagne that leaves a sour taste in the gullet.The original album,which charted for more than 400 weeks,was frenetic hard rock played at breakneck speed,but this latest release is unlikely to appeal to the audience to which it is aimed.
They were weaned on the real Meat,and this soya substitute leaves an emptiness which few will be able to stomach.
Amanda Franklin.
news_room@mrn.co.uk

I know she is wrong i have the cd and i think it's great ,she would not know good music if it bit her.
I have put her straight on a few things please feel free to do the same.
you would not want to know what my son called her after reading her review and he is only 11.
griff4276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2004, 23:30   #2
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

That is possibly the worst review ever.

This woman deserves a good slap, make that a beating with a basebal bat.

The songs one the new release are played at the same break neck speed as far as I can hear. To have a 90 piece orchestra jam along Meat's great current band was amazing and I hope it won't be the last time.
Maybe that horrible woman had the original Bat out of hell playing at 78 and thought it should go faster? She sure sounds stupid enough to do so. These kind of people should be used as toilet paper if you ask me.

Obviously no-one should pay attention to this horrible woman, who can only turn art into a joke and not even write a serious review that will be read by lots of people. Maybe she should be on the same panel as that horrible pop idol carry on. Get paid to put kids to tears. Great stuff woman, keep it going. (you horrible rat!)

BBC thinks the release is awesome as I am sure most people would do:

In 1976, when Meat Loaf and Jim Steinman were recording the seven epic songs with Todd Rundgren that would eventually turn out to be the Bat Out Of Hell album, they toyed with the notion of using an orchestra to bring the songs to life. Due to budget and sceduling constraints, however, the idea never came to fruition and they had to make do with Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band.

When the finished album hit the shelves in 1977 the impact was immense. Spending a massive 395 weeks in the UK chart alone and shifting an unbelievable 30 million units worldwide it would have seemed as though recording the album with an orchestra was only around the corner.

Unfortunately, for whatever reasons, that corner turned out to be 27 years large. In fact, in Meat's more than thirty year recording career it seems unfathomable that he never actually recorded with any orchestra. Thankfully though, earlier this year he put that ghost to rest and hooked up with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra and recorded Bat Out Of Hell in its full entirety under the guidance of conductor Keith Levenson.

From the opening sequence of the title track you can just see Meat throwing bricks at his head, for these songs just scream out orchestral accompaniment. And from the off the 'tra are cookin' with their highlights being the disco break of 'Paradise by The Dashboard Light' and the beautiful arrangement of 'For Crying Out Loud'.

The 'rock band' too are in great shape. The bass playing on 'All Revved Up With No Place To Go' must have turned a fair few of the virtuosos' heads. But the stealer of the show has to be the main man himself. The Loaf's singing is awesome throughout.

So you can forget your Tommy's and your Rocky Horror's. This is proper Rock Opera and Meat is a real character who is almost larger than life, but with the extra tracks I can't help but wonder, 'What Meat? You'd do anything for love but what? What is it you won't do?'

Cormac Heron
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2004, 18:14   #3
Weissheim
Junior Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman2424

Maybe that horrible woman had the original Bat out of hell playing at 78 and thought it should go faster? She sure sounds stupid enough to do so. These kind of people should be used as toilet paper if you ask me.

Obviously no-one should pay attention to this horrible woman, who can only turn art into a joke and not even write a serious review that will be read by lots of people. Maybe she should be on the same panel as that horrible pop idol carry on. Get paid to put kids to tears. Great stuff woman, keep it going. (you horrible rat!)
Your comments are ill-judged and in very poor taste. I'm sure you've read far worse reviews than that one.

FWIW, Classic Rock magazine gives the CD a 2-star review in the current issue. It's reviewed by Geoff Barton, a very well-respected rock journalist.
Weissheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2004, 18:54   #4
Di
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weissheim
Quote:

Your comments are ill-judged and in very poor taste. I'm sure you've read far worse reviews than that one.

FWIW, Classic Rock magazine gives the CD a 2-star review in the current issue. It's reviewed by Geoff Barton, a very well-respected rock journalist.
You know what? I like the CD fine and am enjoying it very much. It reminds me of many live concert recordings… it is not meant to sound like the original or people would just go out and buy it. I love the music and am a fan, so of course I am going to listen with kind ears in my case…

Now the DVD is an entirely different story for me. When you add the visuals, the performances, commentary, and the added songs from CHSIB that just ROCK live, I am at a factor of 12 on a scale of 10 in enjoyment, happiness, and rapture.

In the end a review is just that, a review and someone’s opinion. Everyone has different tastes in the world, that is why there is such a wide and vast variety of music and entertainment.

…And hey, she spelled his name right. Start to worry when they stop reviewing his work I would think… and besides, bet some readers found out about the CD from the review who didn’t know about the release. Fans are fans no matter what a journalist says. :)

Hope everyone is still enjoying the gifts dropped in our laps.

Nice to see you again Weissheim,

Di
Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2004, 21:07   #5
evil nickname

Quote:
Comments like this should not be tollerated.
evil nickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2004, 09:54   #6
Pixie
The Mad Scientist

No, you're right, the comments were a bit strong, but then so was the negative review - an immediate response to that no doubt, with emotions running high.

I've sent a (pretty sensible) reply to the newsdesk identified, but I agree we probably shouldn't react too strongly, as her review flies in the face of the fact that the CD/DVD charted so well, and the fact that we all KNOW that the orchestral production (as well as Meat and the NLE's performance) was pretty much a masterpiece...
Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2004, 11:02   #7
evil nickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie
No, you're right, the comments were a bit strong, but then so was the negative review - an immediate response to that no doubt, with emotions running high.

I've sent a (pretty sensible) reply to the newsdesk identified, but I agree we probably shouldn't react too strongly, as her review flies in the face of the fact that the CD/DVD charted so well, and the fact that we all KNOW that the orchestral production (as well as Meat and the NLE's performance) was pretty much a masterpiece...
That's all fine and dandy, but at the end of the day, it is still the reviewers opinion. And because she doesn't like BOOH live with the MSO (the CD), doesn't make her opinion any less valid than the fanboy/-girl "OMG! This is teh r0x0r!!11!!1 The best thing since the big bang!" style of reviews. Liking something that anonther person does not, does not justify beating said person up.
In fact, then you may suggest I need a tap on the head too, since while I like the DVD a lot, the CD version still does nothing for me.

Bottom line being: suggesting that someone should be beaten with a baseball bat is way off the mark and such statements should not be tollerated by anyone. Coming up with a lame-ass defence is about just as bad, in my opinion.
Old 28 Oct 2004, 11:39   #8
Weissheim
Junior Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Di
Nice to see you again Weissheim,

Di
Thanks Di - nice to see your sensible viewpoint on things too!

It's only a review. Considering the world we live in, there's a lot worse things to get worked up about.
Weissheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2004, 14:30   #9
Di
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil nickname
That's all fine and dandy, but at the end of the day, it is still the reviewers opinion. And because she doesn't like BOOH live with the MSO (the CD), doesn't make her opinion any less valid than the fanboy/-girl "OMG! This is teh r0x0r!!11!!1 The best thing since the big bang!" style of reviews. Liking something that anonther person does not, does not justify beating said person up.
In fact, then you may suggest I need a tap on the head too, since while I like the DVD a lot, the CD version still does nothing for me.

Bottom line being: suggesting that someone should be beaten with a baseball bat is way off the mark and such statements should not be tollerated by anyone. Coming up with a lame-ass defence is about just as bad, in my opinion.
There is another bottom line as well....

I ran a high profile fan campaign for four years. During that time I was in the LA Times (in fact look for me in it again November 14th in a follow up story) USA Today, The Express, BBC Radio, The Wall Street Journal, and a slew of other periodicals and magazines. And I will say this, it does absolutely no good whatsoever to be rude to any member of the press, when they are offended they have the power to take it out on the celebrity and his fans in the written word. It merely makes the fan look like a fanatic, and will not change the opinion at all of the reviewer, and in fact can turn them even more negative.

Positive support is always best. Fair treatment, respect of others, and concern for just who it is you are standing up for and how you may reflect on them.

Waiting 24 hours to respond when aggravated never hurts either.... boy have I regretted it in the past when I did not do that.

One other thing I would like to say... There are many varying level of fans here in the over 1000 who are members of this board. There is no way you are ever going to get an agreement between everyone, just as you will not in life. Acceptance of other's opinions goes a long way towards communication. Is the goal to make everyone agree on every issue?

Debate can be stimulating, fun, enlightening, beneficial, and even entertaining... but when it is used with personal attacks it loses it's thrust... and can become arguing and mean spirited for no good reason that I can see.

Sorry to soapbox...

Everyone have a good day today,

Di
Old 28 Oct 2004, 20:55   #10
Pudding
I'm A Prize Fight Lover...

Pot "Hi is that the kettle"
Kettle "Why yes it is!"
Pot "Well you're black!!"

A review is a review as an opinion is an opinion, they're all personal and not to be taken personally. If Meat Loaf entered the UK charts at No #14 then obviously somebody's got it wrong.

I personally would give the MSO CD 7/10 because there's so many live recordings of Meat Loaf out there this is just another one just to add to the pile. IMO

Pud
Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2004, 21:22   #11
AndrewG

Default Re: local newspaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griff4276
This is a review from my local newspaper,don't worry she has already had some well chosen words from me.

Meat Loaf Bat out of Hell Live with the Melborne Symphony orchestra.
Question:How do you remake a masterpiece?
Answer: You don't.This remake of the 1977 masterpiece using a full orchestra is Meat Loaf without the meat,a vegetarian lasagne that leaves a sour taste in the gullet.The original album,which charted for more than 400 weeks,was frenetic hard rock played at breakneck speed,but this latest release is unlikely to appeal to the audience to which it is aimed.
They were weaned on the real Meat,and this soya substitute leaves an emptiness which few will be able to stomach.
Amanda Franklin.
news_room@mrn.co.uk
First off sorry for the comments but...

For people who thought my JOKE (and yes I DO NOT hit people with baseball bats usually dont worry) was too serious, can you please read again what this woman is saying about Meat Loaf? She is turning the review into a joke by using food etc. I personally feel it is a very weak review because of that. So what if my opinion was harse? Indeed it was. I would be interested to see what Fireball's would be. If she can make a joke, why can't I?
I think most professional reviewers should expect that kind of backlash from hardcore fans if they write jokes like that in their reviews.

Meat Loaf without the Meat" simply does not justify his latest CD which I rank amongst his best. He probably does himself also. Sure everyone is entitled to an opinion but I would feel bad if her review put some people off just giving his cd a go
It's not as if it is easy for Meat Loaf to sell his music. Radio stations mostly only play pop stuff these days. And indeed Justin Timberlake for example seems to be such a high profile artist that already we can see biographies etc. It's all becoming less about the music and more about the looks I feel.
With the way the music industry is going I am glad Meat is still with us to show how performances should and can be done, at least that is MY OPINION. So as he says: we need positive, we like positive!
Old 28 Oct 2004, 21:53   #12
evil nickname

Quote:
(and yes I DO NOT hit people with baseball bats usually dont worry)
You don't usually hit people with a baseball bat? You save that for special occasions?

I know I have a strange sense of humour, but I still can't find anything remotely funny in your post. But if that's your idea of a joke, maybe I just don't get it.
Old 28 Oct 2004, 21:57   #13
Di
Super Loafer

Quote:

For people who thought my joke was too serious, can you please read again what this woman is saying about Meat Loaf? She is turning the review into a joke by using food etc. I personally feel it is a very weak review because of that. So what my opinion was harse? Indeed it was. I would be interested to see what Fireball's would be. If she can make a joke, why can't I?

I don't write for a newspaper and if I did I would research the topic better than what she did and write a more interesting report. "Meat Loaf without the Meat" simply does not justify his latest CD which I rank amongst his best. He probably does himself also. Sure everyone is entitled to an opinion but I would feel bad if her review put some people off just giving his cd a go
Any publicity is good publicity.

You can't control a reviewer. If you make them mad they may get even harsher with the next project that comes out. Why not just present the positive reasons that you feel the CD is great when you send a rebuttal? Facts and figures, the strong fan base, sales and chart position, information about the production... Attacking their opinion is just attacking their opinion. It doesn't really mean much except that a fan may have flown a bit off the handle and confronted a member of the press about what their tastes and likes are, and they are supposed to be an expert. Skip the reviewer entirely perhaps and send a well written letter to the editor, you will get a lot more from that if it is published and a chance to state your side of the issue publicly.

Not many celebrities escape the negativity that the media can be. It is all part of the industry and angry responses won't do much to help. Not sure how many people are swayed by bad reviews anyway... certainly not by a few isolated ones I would think. People that are fans of the music will buy the CD regardless, and perhaps word of mouth can overcome bad reviews if the product appeals to the public?

I just wish there was more promotion over here in the US. I think the DVD especially is a fantastic product, and it certainly could entertain more than just the main fan base.

I just introduced a good friend to the music very recently. She absolutely loved it. She had never listened before because she had never been exposed to it. And my teenage son watched it the other night and seemed pretty entertained, won't tell you his favorite parts, but it had something to do with short skirts, no skirts, and more skirts. Oh.... and he did like the music as well. Of course in the past few years he has been a bit bombarded at times so he better.

It is a shame... I just hope when Bat III comes out, there is a team in place to promote it and give it more visibility than Meat's last few projects.

Well, it was a good debate after all? Was nice to have something to talk about in the Meat world anyway, was very enjoyable.

Take care,

Di
Old 28 Oct 2004, 23:34   #14
AndrewG

Well suppose I have been really harsh since I have had a lot of negative confrontation at my work. Got a new job tho so positive, positive.

In any case I totally love the man's music. I really respect him a lot for what he has done and tried to do. I know he was ill and this and that the past year but I rather see a man give it a good go than to take an easy way out, which he easily could have done. Thats what I love about the MSO recording, no expense has been spared. That reminds me of a movie... In my eyes: "the jurassic park of rock and roll recordings"

Dont ya think that intro to Couldnt have said it better is just awesome?!!
Old 29 Oct 2004, 02:13   #15
Deb
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Well suppose I have been really harsh since I have had a lot of negative confrontation at my work. Got a new job tho so positive, positive.

In any case I totally love the man's music. I really respect him a lot for what he has done and tried to do. I know he was ill and this and that the past year but I rather see a man give it a good go than to take an easy way out, which he easily could have done. Thats what I love about the MSO recording, no expense has been spared. That reminds me of a movie... In my eyes: "the jurassic park of rock and roll recordings"

Dont ya think that intro to Couldnt have said it better is just awesome?!!
Yep That drum solo is amazing!!!

Deb
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2004, 00:25   #16
GeoffM2
Junior Loafer

Sadly I will have to wait til Christmas for this (put in on my list). But I already have ML on CD with a live orchestra so I already know it will be fabulous! He recorded about 4 years ago on Nokia Night of the Proms - and I was there! Full orchestra, full choir, 3 songs back to back in one spectacular 45 minute finale to the show (No Matter What/Home By Now, Paradise, and BOOH - my 3 favourite songs). The energy that man has is amazing.

Geoff M.
GeoffM2 is offline   Reply With Quote