Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages

Old 16 Jan 2011, 14:55   #101
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
However when Cheryl Cole gets nominated for a Brit for best single you know that all hope is lost for the record industry. Sure they can make songs sound slick and catchy these days
Yes, reminds me of the Simpsons' parody (and parody is so popular at the moment) when they feed the caterwauling voices of Bart and his friends through a sound machine that makes them sound like 'N Sync! Today they frequently peddle the art of recording technology rather than the artist.

Quote:
but stand in front of experienced artists performing such as Meat or Springsteen.... there is a BIG difference in my opinion! Not seen a young artist perform anywhere near those two. Most young artists I've seen on stage or on TV seem to miss the heart, the passion, the life experience to make the words sound convincing.
Much of the time they simply mime .. but again, at many of these shows I doubt anyone could hear them over the screaming, even if they were singing!

Quote:
On top of this almost everyone who auditions for daft shows like Idol or X Factor seem to want the celebrity status before they actually want to do the work. It's , the world doesn't owe these guys anything.
And Simon Cowell flashes his impossibly white laminates and laughs all the way to the bank!

Caryl
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2011, 15:03   #102
Vickip
Mega Loafer

Thanks for the information Meat. I'm sorry to hear that they treated you that way ... hopefully the record labels will get their acts together and do a better job supporting you once the new CD comes out

The new CD sounds exciting ... I can't wait to hear that duet with Patti
Vickip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2011, 15:36   #103
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Because youth=sex and sex sells. However when Cheryl Cole gets nominated for a Brit for best single you know that all hope is lost for the record industry. Sure they can make songs sound slick and catchy these days but stand in front of experienced artists performing such as Meat or Springsteen.... there is a BIG difference in my opinion! Not seen a young artist perform anywhere near those two. Most young artists I've seen on stage or on TV seem to miss the heart, the passion, the life experience to make the words sound convincing. On top of this almost everyone who auditions for daft shows like Idol or X Factor seem to want the celebrity status before they actually want to do the work. It's , the world doesn't owe these guys anything.
The problem with X Factor, Idol and the like is that they usually don't produce artists who are creative on their own. What do they do on those shows most of the time? They sing covers. They don't give young talents enough time to grow, there's gonna be another show next year that has to produce another "star".

A 68-year-old Carole King or 76-year-old Leonard Cohen impress me more than any talent show winner. What good are youth, good looks and perfect singing if neither the singer nor the song touches your heart?

As for youth and sex: I think Bruce Springsteen is more sexy than most of the young male singers that are popular these days.

P.S.: I'd watch Celebrity Apprentice, if Meat Meat and Dionne Warwick sang a duet on the show.
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2011, 16:14   #104
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
The problem with X Factor, Idol and the like is that they usually don't produce artists who are creative on their own. What do they do on those shows most of the time? They sing covers. They don't give young talents enough time to grow, there's gonna be another show next year that has to produce another "star".
And those who might have some small spark of creativity, or at least ideas as to the direction they want to move in, seem to have these squashed. They may even get dropped with their contracts ended if they don't co-operate/agree with a company who just want a quick repeat of the previous formula whilst they get ready, as you say, to cash in on the next one, because the attendant publicity and exposure the show will give will ensure enough sales (arguably from people who aren't that interested in music as such) for them to make a profit.

Quote:
What good are youth, good looks and perfect singing if neither the singer nor the song touches your heart?
None imo. That's why so many of us are Meat Loaf fans

Quote:
As for youth and sex: I think Bruce Springsteen is more sexy than most of the young male singers that are popular these days.
I'd agree with that .. as is Meat imo Passion IS sexy. And both passion and sex are still alive and kicking even in old people of forty and beyond But like the fashion industry, they'll be chucking embryos on stage before we know it!

Caryl
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2011, 19:14   #105
LisaT
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
I want to try " Love somebody" on AC over here. Why not , if the record co will do it.
M
Excellent, I LOVE that song!
LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2011, 19:17   #106
LisaT
Super Loafer

Quote:
No one knows she even did it, it was the last song on some TV show album. You wouldn't know it was the same song. It never went to Radio as a single.
M
I, for one, had never heard it before HCTB. And your version is so much better than hers imo.
LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2011, 19:28   #107
meatfanforlife
Banned

Not sure if this has been suggested before or not Meat, but why not record and promote a new CD yourself? You have more than enough talent around you to do it, and put it out yourself as an indie label? Artists like Toby Keith have done it with amazing success. That way, you dont have to deal with horrid record labels and you can have the freedom to do what you want and promote the hell out of a record.

Just keep doin what you do, because we all love it!
meatfanforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2011, 22:24   #108
The Flying Mouse
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.

Quote:
Screamed when they wouldn't put out a real single . They said we don't do that!!! I said yes you do , named the artists , they came back with , well we don't for artist like you. meaning old.
Thank you
So not putting out a single was not your game plan, but the record companies?
I was going nutso that there was no single, but I remember there being a feeling of "Meat knows best" going around.
Meat did know best.
He wanted a single
Validation feels good

Quote:
It makes me want to pull my hair out. I go out and work hard for them just hoping it will make them want to do more . They don't. They don't want to work anymore. Used to be they would listen and follow through on some of my ideas. , now they have an excuse for why they can't do any of my ideas. They only want to do it their way . The way they do every band . I'm not every band. To them I am nothing but another a can of soup.

Can't you get someone with a little more get up and go?
No offence here Meat, but I imagine that there is a train of thought in the music industry that you're only as good as your last battle (in sales, not how it sounds) and if you don't get multi platinum on this album, they're not going to spend the promo money on the next.

That means sales suffer again on the next album, prompting them to spend even less.
At that rate you'll be lucky to end your amazing career getting a silver record and a $5 off any purchase voucher at Starbucks.

Couldn't Have Said It Better, Bat III, HCTB, none of them have had the impact they could have had with the right people behind them.

Quote:
If it doesn't have "Hell" in the title they don't want to work it.
I honestly do sympathise with you about that.
It's what got Bela Lugosi bad on drugs.How the hell do you do any relevent work when everything is measured by the fact you played Dracula in 1931?

Quote:
and PATRICK is no where around. LOL
He got some leave huh?

Quote:
I CALL EVERYONE DUDE NOW, I think I'm still in the 80's.
You ain't the only one , but I believe the word is going to come back into usage, and in a big way
The Flying Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2011, 02:15   #109
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:
True. Although, I have been happy to see the last few seasons on Idol, anyway, contestants being allowed to play instruments and show a bit more originality. It's even mentioned if they write their own songs. While the "best" contestant doesn't necesarily win, at least the others get some exposure, which I think is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge
Oh, HELL yes!

Getting back also to AndrewG's comments, a while back, I saw Beyonce perform with Tina Turner on some awards show. Now, Beyonce is a beautiful girl, and very talented, but IMO, Tina blew her off the stage (in spike heels, no less!).
Julie in the rv mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2011, 02:28   #110
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie in the rv mirror View Post
Getting back also to AndrewG's comments, a while back, I saw Beyonce perform with Tina Turner on some awards show. Now, Beyonce is a beautiful girl, and very talented, but IMO, Tina blew her off the stage (in spike heels, no less!).
Another obvious example I always thought was with Joss Stone and Melissa Etheridge when they performed Cry Baby and Piece of My Heart as a tribute to Janis Joplin at the Grammys in 2005.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_j3TDhc8vY
Take a look right. At the start it seems Joss Stone isn't too bad at the Cry Baby song, decent enough entertainment you would think, but then when Melissa starts singing Piece of my Heart, on a completely different level in my opinion.
AND here Melissa is not long after recovering from chemotherapy from her cancer! I don't think I've ever heard anyone other than Janis herself sing that song any better. Stunning!! She lives the words, feels them, owns them. Listen to that scream at 4.50. Sorry but Joss should have staid home that evening.

Last edited by AndrewG; 17 Jan 2011 at 02:35.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2011, 02:39   #111
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie in the rv mirror View Post
Reminds me of a Rolling Stones concert I watched recently. Mick Jagger singing a duet with Justin Timberlake. Jagger was so much cooler, sang better, even danced better than Timberlake. I thought: "Justin, you still got a lot to learn."
Old 17 Jan 2011, 02:43   #112
snider22

Quote:
Another obvious example I always thought was with Joss Stone and Melissa Etheridge when they performed Cry Baby and Piece of My Heart as a tribute to Janis Joplin at the Grammys in 2005.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_j3TDhc8vY
Take a look right. At the start it seems Joss Stone isn't too bad at the Cry Baby song, decent enough entertainment you would think, but then when Melissa starts singing Piece of my Heart, on a completely different level in my opinion.
AND here Melissa is not long after recovering from chemotherapy from her cancer! I don't think I've ever heard anyone other than Janis herself sing that song any better. Stunning!! She lives the words, feels them, owns them. Listen to that scream at 4.50. Sorry but Joss should have staid home that evening.
Gotta say that I agree with you on this. Joss did ok with Cry Baby, But Melissa justs has so much more stage presence than Joss. Melissa should have been on stage by alone for Piece of My Heart because quite frankly she left Joss in the dust.
snider22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2011, 02:54   #113
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Wow, that was amazing! I think Melissa is great.

I could only find audio (with still pictures) of Beyonce and Tina, but it's still cool to hear. Tina looks unbelievable for 69 (or so- at the time)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoVrUx1sts8
Julie in the rv mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2011, 02:58   #114
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Another obvious example I always thought was with Joss Stone and Melissa Etheridge when they performed Cry Baby and Piece of My Heart as a tribute to Janis Joplin at the Grammys in 2005. [...] Take a look right. At the start it seems Joss Stone isn't too bad at the Cry Baby song, decent enough entertainment you would think, but then when Melissa starts singing Piece of my Heart, on a completely different level in my opinion. [...] I don't think I've ever heard anyone other than Janis herself sing that song any better. Stunning!! She lives the words, feels them, owns them. Listen to that scream at 4.50. Sorry but Joss should have staid home that evening.
Melissa rocks! That woman has something that many other singers lack these days - true passion. One of the greatest live performers ever. I travelled God knows where and slept at railway stations just to see her on stage. I'm sure Janis Joplin would have liked that performance. Joss Stone wasn't that bad but her voice wasn't powerful enough for that song.
Old 17 Jan 2011, 03:39   #115
Vickip
Mega Loafer

Maybe now would the perfect time to release a DVD of the tour (if one was filmed), when Meat is going to be appearing on Celebrity Apprentice.

If they promoted it properly, (even tying it in with his appearance on the show somehow) it could make people more interested in hearing HCTB after having seen him perform somes of the songs live. It would also let people know how great Meat is doing right now, and get them even more excited about the possibility of another new CD.
Vickip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2011, 10:29   #116
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...

Quote:
Did it in 83 as well with Tim Curry, In the old days SNL would count for 50,000 records it just doesn't sell much anymore. I would have done it for sure. You need a hot record to get on and we just didn't get enough radio. Not giving up though. I want to try " Love somebody" on AC over here. Why not , if the record co will do it.
M
Ive been thinking about that sentiment a bit lately, Why in holy mother of hell did SNL decide to sniff you during 1993? Id consider AFL and Bat 2 a hot record. There's no reason what-so-ever we have no Anything for Love SNL performance. Which is really quite sad.

plus in 1993 Chris Farley was in the cast. They could've had a field day with the script that night, being as you two looked alike (more so then you Jack Black).
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2011, 00:57   #117
lorenzoduke
Mega Loafer

Quote:
No one knows she even did it, it was the last song on some TV show album. You wouldn't know it was the same song. It never went to Radio as a single.
M
That's the one song from the album that everyone I've played it for - even people who aren't remotely into your thing, absolutely loves. It seems to me like a godsend to all the record companies who've been trying to market you to the single market with ballads for years. Mainstream enough to be a hit, passionate enough not to alienate longtime fans. A missed opportunity if it doesn't get sent to radio, but a damn good song imo.

Thanks for making another one of my favorite albums of all time. Hang Cool might not be for everyone, but I love it as much if not more than anything you've ever done. I'm sure that puts me in the idiot category with some people around here, but ~~~~ it, I know what I like. And yes, that includes the Patrick story.

Last edited by lorenzoduke; 18 Jan 2011 at 01:02.
lorenzoduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2011, 03:06   #118
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoduke View Post
That's the one song from the album that everyone I've played it for - even people who aren't remotely into your thing, absolutely loves. [...] And yes, that includes the Patrick story.
That song and Patrick are two of the three things that almost made me hate HCTB although I like most of the songs on that album. Meat's singing on DYELS is awesome, I would have liked to hear it on a more distinctive, outstanding ballad. The song itself does nothing for me. It doesn't touch me emotionally at all and it sounds too much like stuff I've heard a thousand times before. It might appeal to a number of people, maybe it could even become a hit but I have to skip it every time I listen to the album. Having to hear it right after the fantastic Song Of Madness is kind of a letdown.
Old 18 Jan 2011, 04:20   #119
suzieq
Mega Loafer

Quote:
That song and Patrick are two of the three things that almost made me hate HCTB although I like most of the songs on that album. Meat's singing on DYELS is awesome, I would have liked to hear it on a more distinctive, outstanding ballad. The song itself does nothing for me. It doesn't touch me emotionally at all and it sounds too much like stuff I've heard a thousand times before. It might appeal to a number of people, maybe it could even become a hit but I have to skip it every time I listen to the album. Having to hear it right after the fantastic Song Of Madness is kind of a letdown.
I am the polar opposite of this view. The one thing I will agree with this post about is the snippet "Meat's singing on DYELS is awesome".
suzieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2011, 05:02   #120
Sarge
Mega Loafer

I knew that you'd say that. Songs like DYELS always appear to me as if somebody said: "Hey, we have to put something on the album that makes women buy it." I just listened to For Crying Out Loud. Now that's what I call a great ballad. Anybody could sing DYELS, but I dare to say that only a few people are able to sing a song like FCOL properly.
Old 18 Jan 2011, 05:40   #121
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Screamed when they wouldn't put out a real single . They said we don't do that!!! I said yes you do , named the artists , they came back with , well we don't for artist like you. meaning old.
It makes me want to pull my hair out.
Thats ridiculous...I hope you keep fighting and get them to take their heads out of their asses.. Maybe you should tell them to go see one of your performances before they tell you your too old to spend time promoting! aaah that makes so mad!
stretch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2011, 06:01   #122
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch37 View Post
Maybe you should tell them to go see one of your performances before they tell you your too old to spend time promoting!
I sometimes wonder if there are still people in the business who are really interested in music or if they focus on numbers only. Maybe it has become more difficult to work with record companies, and maybe it's not easy for people who work for them to make certain decisions, now that many labels belong to large companies like Universal, Sony, Warner...
Old 18 Jan 2011, 06:24   #123
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:
So now, I've come with a Title with Hell in it. Paul is working on the first song." The Devil in me" duet with Patti. It's a rocker... We got some great songs. One we are going to do like NINE INCH NAILS.
Thats really cool !
stretch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2011, 09:38   #124
JennaG
Mega Loafer

Quote:
To them I am nothing but another a can of soup.
I really, really love that quote.

I'm sorry your record company are like that towards you but unfortunately the music industry these days seems to be as much about looking 'right' (young, skinny, with a hollywood smile and a perfect hairdo) than it is to have any real talent. After all who really needs to be able to sing these days when you've got things like autotune?

I believe there are still a few artists who actually care about the music and putting on a damn good show but these people also tend to be the kind of artists who have been in the industry for years and thinking about it now they don't release singles either. Perhaps they're coming across the same thing that you are.

I'm really looking forward to hearing the new album and reading all about how you get on in Celebrity Apprentice (since I'm not sure if it's on over here).

Last edited by JennaG; 18 Jan 2011 at 09:44.
JennaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2011, 12:51   #125
nikox1
Mega Loafer

you are right in doing all the shows you can Meat, because at the end of the day, it keeps you in the public eye. and thats the way the world is these days, you gotta be seen to be heard. 2010 was a good year = HCTB is a strong album, and then the tour was fantastic also!! , so you should be happy and proud. now news of a new album coming, great stuff!!

as for the record company thing? well fair play for clearing it up, but to be fair most people have posted plenty on this subject [ me included ] and its true what you have said. it comes down to ageism, old = no radio play.
nikox1 is offline   Reply With Quote