Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Life » Off Topic

Old 11 Apr 2016, 18:16   #57526
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG
Sure I get that but would she ever have been travelling to North Carolina in the first place.
Maybe or maybe not, but does that matter? Can a person not feel one way or another about a law unless it affects them personally?

Quote:
Why is the culture not allowed to be different in North Carolina?
This isn't about the culture, it's about the law. North Carolina isn't a sovereign nation.
Julie in the rv mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 12 Apr 2016, 03:21   #57527
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie in the rv mirror View Post

Andrew, you state that you "can't stand" religion, which is your right; the Mississippi law allows businesses to deny services based on religious grounds. As such, opposition of the law seems in line with your own views (IMO).
Just because I don't like religion doesn't mean to say I would want to see all
Christian owners of B&Bs in Mississippi be forced to burn their bibles and forced to have transgenders run naked through their toilets as punishment. There was a guy in the 1930s who started a quick movement against a religion over here in Europe and blamed its believers for everything wrong in society. That didn't end so well for everyone.

The truth of the matter is transgenderism, religion, laws about toilets and laws in general and their interpretation are immensely complicated. Whether the NC law was written up with real malicious intent I do not know. I think again media tries to paint a skewed picture of that. One will say it is good and the other will say it is the worst thing in the history of the USA. Promoting nuclear family is not wrong either, in fact evolution shows that it helped mankind tremendously. So there are a lot of things covered in the bill, the reaction to it, the supporters and the protests that won't simply change through the abolition of the bill itself I reckon. I can sympathise with the against camp if one is a member of the LGBT community this law perhaps marginalises him/her in specific ways. I can also sympathise with some of the law support camp who say they wouldn't want a man go into the women's toilets when your 10 year old daughter is in there just because he feels like he a woman that day. I know this is an extreme scenario but I have no idea what toilet rape statistics are etc. I'm just saying there is something there that the bill seems to cover so makes sense to me, also the example of a Christian B&B owner perhaps having to put up with (what they would perceive as) abuse just because the law allows a potential transgender festival to take over the hotel for a while doesn't seem 100% right either. You get my drift I hope...

The media (and some on the left) treat this as like the broadcast of the X Factor auditions. It tries to force us to make a quick judgement whether something is absolutely right or absolutely wrong. So on the X Factor they will show all the atrocious singing auditions and the ones who can sing like angels and leave out around 90-95% of the normal, average, decent stuff.
Society is nothing like the X Factor auditions with binary qualities in my opinion. It's an organic, ever changing thing. Having said that the best thing for the USA would be to not introduce any further laws on top of the constitution and bill of rights at all. Who needs a flipping law for carrying an ice cream cone in your back pocket? I guess this would put a lot of people out of a job and that is sad too... Jeez... Changing a contract mid way through a job isn't fair either. As long as the original laws do not discriminate and are not open to abuse the less there are laws the better probably.

The issues (including transgenderism) are complex. Doing people out of their weekend concert travel plans and any associated costs isn't going to fix it. Sure you may conclude it's better than nothing but I'm convinced I would never buy a ticket again for a Bruce show if it happened to the one I was going to (fingers crossed it doesn't). Sickness is very different than a silent protest for a concert cancellation reason.

If Bruce, Bryan, Stevie etc all want to start boycotting their shows for reasons to get a movement going I personally would rather see them do so for the more extreme areas where LGBT people are treated badly.
The NC law (which I agree with you is completely unenforceable) is like a teddy bear with a nasty smell whereas anti LGBT laws in areas such as Saudi Arabia are like self detonating barbed wired monsters. Any change in these areas would probably be better than small token, principled changes over here in the west.

Anyway these are my opinions and everyone else can disagree. But starting to talk about this and being made out for a racist or a bigot (as I was done immediately on another forum) is absolutely mental... Again I think people judge too quickly.

Mostly though I think 90-95% of society mean others no harm and that includes transgenders, those who practice a religion, Bruce & the band, their fans and non fans and even those who were involved in probably setting up this law. Just because the latter see things differently or are possibly afraid or do not know etc doesn't mean they deserve a whole tirade of hate / abuse just like Bruce doesn't (the hateful messages on his FB are absolutely insane, one even wished for the rape of Bruce's wife!). NC even losing out on jobs (PayPal) seems a bit wrong to me but we will see if they overturn the bill I guess because of this pressure.

The first thing I reckon that will come out of this is an optional LGBT law related cancellation insurance charge TicketMaster will probably try to add to ticket sales soon....!

Last edited by AndrewG; 12 Apr 2016 at 03:45.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2016, 05:53   #57528
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

When I first heard about the "Bathroom Law" on television, my immediate thought was WTF???, followed very quickly by, "Good luck to them trying to enforce that one." And then, I'll admit, I didn't give it much thought, because I didn't know the full implications of the bill. As a result of Bruce cancelling this show, I've read more about it in the last few days than I ever would have otherwise, so I guess the boycott accomplished its purpose in that regard. The more I think about it, it makes me angry. There's still a lot of hatred and bigotry in this country, it's just not out in the open. I agree with Steven- I think it's time to shed some light on it, and hopefully by doing so, try to stop it before it spreads.

(Some further reading: http://wunc.org/post/sifting-through...ill-2#stream/0)

Quote:
I can also sympathise with some of the law support camp who say they wouldn't want a man go into the women's toilets when your 10 year old daughter is in there just because he feels like he a woman that day. I know this is an extreme scenario but I have no idea what toilet rape statistics are etc. I'm just saying there is something there that the bill seems to cover so makes sense to me
Right, and there's the rub; they snuck the other civil rights issues in attached to a piece of legislation that makes sense to many people, apparently, a tactic which is not uncommon in legislation. Lawmakers contend it's a matter of "safety", which if you look at it from a logical standpoint is rather ridiculous (not to mention, as a woman, I find somewhat condescending). I have no idea what toilet rape statistics are either, but I'd surmise they are rather low. A sex offender, unfortunately, is going to find ways to commit their crime regardless of what restrictions are placed upon them. Truthfully, I'd be more worried about males who would prey on young boys in the men's room. Just because someone is transgender, that doesn't make them a sex offender.

I would think that most young girls (and likely many adults) would not know a trans woman if they saw one (not to mention ladies' bathrooms have private stalls, so no one is watching the person next to them), but I could see a girl feeling uncomfortable seeing a person in the restroom with the outside appearance of a man. Under the current law, Caitlyn Jenner would not be allowed in the ladies' room, but this person would be:

Now, does that make sense?

As far as changing a birth certificate, that's not as simple as it sounds. In North Carolina, in order to have their birth certificate changed, a transgender person would have to have a doctor certify that they have completed gender reassignment surgery, which not all transgender people do, for various reasons.

Quote:
I'm convinced I would never buy a ticket again for a Bruce show if it happened to the one I was going to (fingers crossed it doesn't)
Well, that's certainly your prerogative to feel that way- you wouldn't be alone. And, for your sake, I hope it doesn't happen to you. As it happens, I have a ticket to see Bruce in Michigan this Thursday, and I'm not worried he's going to cancel. If he did by some chance, I'd be very disappointed (I wouldn't be out money- to the contrary, I'd have more in my pocket), though I'd get over it.

Quote:
Just because the latter see things differently or are possibly afraid or do not know etc doesn't mean they deserve a whole tirade of hate / abuse just like Bruce doesn't (the hateful messages on his FB are absolutely insane, one even wished for the rape of Bruce's wife!).
Seriously?! That's disgusting. That's why I avoid reading a lot of crap that's out there on the net- the fan boards are bad enough! As I said, lots of hate...

Last edited by Julie in the rv mirror; 12 Apr 2016 at 06:00.
Julie in the rv mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2016, 23:46   #57529
tonyloaf
Metal Head

Heading to Brazil !
tonyloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2016, 21:14   #57530
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Awesome guitarists I can think of: Hendrix, May, Clapton, Knopfler and then there was Prince. But there is a big difference with Prince. He could also sing well (!) and had one of the largest male vocal ranges of any populair artist ever.
Vocal Range Link
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2016, 15:06   #57531
tonyloaf
Metal Head

Leaving Portugal heading to Dubai for a week of exams
Old 24 Apr 2016, 16:44   #57532
Skeleton
Mega Loafer

Me and my spouse went to see Dance of the Vampires yesterday. It was amazing. Helsingin kaupungin teatteri's (Helsinki city theather) productions was excellent.

I'm still amazed how good the translation was and the intensity the cast and crew delivered.
Skeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 25 Apr 2016, 21:22   #57533
Sebastian.
Biggles

Springsteen sign request planning.
Sebastian. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2016, 17:20   #57534
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

Carl seems to be having a good time in London
duke knooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2016, 21:23   #57535
tonyloaf
Metal Head

Hello Australia
Old 07 May 2016, 19:17   #57536
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

Was there any April fools mischief on the site this year?
Old 08 May 2016, 23:47   #57537
Monstro
Promoted to Wario's spellchecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke knooby View Post
Was there any April fools mischief on the site this year?
Everyone who visited got a £50 Amazon voucher, looks like you missed out m8
Monstro is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 09 May 2016, 22:07   #57538
R.
You dig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstro View Post
Everyone who visited got a £50 Amazon voucher, looks like you missed out m8
That's just cold.
R. is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 11 May 2016, 16:23   #57539
Sebastian.
Biggles

Today I learned that I'm scarily good with a shotgun
Old 15 May 2016, 12:59   #57540
chairboys
Mega Loafer

Yummy. A full plate of sausage, bacon, mush, beans, fried egg and tomato.
Just a shame it wasn't much bigger than a saucer.
chairboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2016, 18:08   #57541
tonyloaf
Metal Head

Just saw MJ in San Fran
Old 20 May 2016, 12:21   #57542
tonyloaf
Metal Head

Middle East chicken is really not that good
Old 20 May 2016, 12:22   #57543
Sebastian.
Biggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyloaf View Post
Middle East chicken is really not that good
Neither is the "pork".
Old 20 May 2016, 19:36   #57544
tonyloaf
Metal Head

pork? did someone say pork??
Old 21 May 2016, 01:49   #57545
Sebastian.
Biggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyloaf View Post
pork? did someone say pork??
I hear San Francisco does good pork!
Old 29 May 2016, 20:54   #57546
chairboys
Mega Loafer

You Reds!
chairboys is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 03 Jun 2016, 07:38   #57547
Sebastian.
Biggles

Boys will be boys, and girls have those eyes, that'll cut you to ribbons sometimes, and all you can do is wait by the moon, and bleed if it's what she says.
Old 03 Jun 2016, 09:32   #57548
tonyloaf
Metal Head

On route to Vietnam ! Time to rock this place
Old 04 Jun 2016, 14:09   #57549
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

I'm not sure which is worse, that White Christmas is on the tv in June, or that I've started watching it.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 04 Jun 2016, 14:55   #57550
anotherday
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke knooby View Post
I'm not sure which is worse, that White Christmas is on the tv in June, or that I've started watching it.
great movie
anotherday is offline   Reply With Quote