Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Life » Off Topic

Old 16 Mar 2016, 19:57   #57501
Guy
Super Loafer

Roofer at work today fell 25ft through an asbestos roof.
Broken his back and in a bad way.
HSE day tomorrow.
:0 (
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2016, 21:46   #57502
tonyloaf
Metal Head

That's nasty !
tonyloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2016, 21:46   #57503
tonyloaf
Metal Head

On route to Jakarta
Old 26 Mar 2016, 00:57   #57504
Guy
Super Loafer

Poor and destitute
Old 03 Apr 2016, 14:15   #57505
tonyloaf
Metal Head

Get on the coach in Toronto and AFL is on radio full blast ! Love it!
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 03 Apr 2016, 17:53   #57506
chairboys
Mega Loafer

Carpenter required to build a trophy cabinet
chairboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2016, 23:06   #57507
Guy
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairboys View Post
Carpenter required to build a trophy cabinet
Blow the dust off mine if you like?
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 06 Apr 2016, 01:57   #57508
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

If people are going to post fake reviews on Ticketmaster, they should at least spend five minutes with Google to make sure they get the details right, like the date of the show, or the correct spelling of the performer's name. At least they make for some entertaining reading- I especially liked the one that said they gave the tickets away, but then proceeded to post a one-star review of the show they didn't see.
Julie in the rv mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 09 Apr 2016, 17:20   #57509
Sebastian.
Biggles

People who say Springsteen should quit politics and stick to music probably have never heard a Springsteen song.
Sebastian. is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 09 Apr 2016, 20:11   #57510
Monstro
Promoted to Wario's spellchecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian. View Post
People who say Springsteen should quit politics and stick to music probably have never heard a Springsteen song.
Begs the question though as to why he booked there in the first place?
Monstro is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 09 Apr 2016, 21:29   #57511
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstro View Post
Begs the question though as to why he booked there in the first place?
The law was only passed a couple of weeks ago (long after the tickets went on sale), and, from what I understand, somewhat sneakily.

I agree with the cause, and I'm proud of him for taking a stand (I don't doubt Steve Van Zandt had some significant input), but I feel bad for the fans who are losing out through no fault of their own.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 09 Apr 2016, 21:38   #57512
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:
Look at the comments on almost any article online about Bruce, and you will see people bashing him for his political views who are clearly clueless about his music, and what he stands for. Those are the very kinds of people who get laws like the one in North Carolina passed. I find myself shocked and appalled to find out some of the opinions and attitudes that people hold in this country, at this point in time.
Old 09 Apr 2016, 22:32   #57513
Monstro
Promoted to Wario's spellchecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie in the rv mirror View Post
The law was only passed a couple of weeks ago (long after the tickets went on sale), and, from what I understand, somewhat sneakily.
But as an outsider my understanding was that the idiots that made this law were elected last year and this was part of their mandate?
Monstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2016, 22:40   #57514
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstro View Post
But as an outsider my understanding was that the idiots that made this law were elected last year and this was part of their mandate?
Well, that may be true- I confess that I don't know all the details. Still, wanting to pass a particular legislation and actually doing it are two different things.
Old 09 Apr 2016, 23:09   #57515
tonyloaf
Metal Head

Quote:
tho i do feel sorry for the people who have worked hard to save up and buy a ticket for this show
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 09 Apr 2016, 23:10   #57516
anotherday
Super Loafer

ONE WEEK FROM TODAY: My Fiance and I see MEAT LOAF!!!!!!!
anotherday is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 09 Apr 2016, 23:15   #57517
Sebastian.
Biggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyloaf View Post
tho i do feel sorry for the people who have worked hard to save up and buy a ticket for this show
Same mate! But his really serious fans are so understanding and if I lived in NC I think I would understand too.
Old 09 Apr 2016, 23:20   #57518
Sebastian.
Biggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie in the rv mirror View Post
Look at the comments on almost any article online about Bruce, and you will see people bashing him for his political views who are clearly clueless about his music, and what he stands for. Those are the very kinds of people who get laws like the one in North Carolina passed. I find myself shocked and appalled to find out some of the opinions and attitudes that people hold in this country, at this point in time.
Best comment I saw went like this:

Redneck: Probably cancelled as he sold no tickets!
Real fan: He sold 15,000 tickets
Redneck: Probably too scared of the crowds!!!!

1 User Likes This Post.
Old 09 Apr 2016, 23:54   #57519
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:
Best comment I saw went like this:

Redneck: Probably cancelled as he sold no tickets!
Real fan: He sold 15,000 tickets
Redneck: Probably too scared of the crowds!!!!
Exactly! Too funny! (How sad am I, though, that I'm looking to see if I know anyone in that picture. Lol)

Quote:
Same mate! But his really serious fans are so understanding and if I lived in NC I think I would understand too.
Well, many of them are understanding, but not all. Refunds are being given for the concert tickets, but many people travel to see him, and at this late date are out for flights, hotels, etc. As these people don't live in NC, they don't vote in that state, so don't even have the recourse of voting the bigots out of office. I understand that's the chance you take when you choose to travel to a show, but I also empathize with those who lost out. (I had no plans to go to this show, but something similar could have happened to me.) Some fans don't disagree with the cancellation, but are angry that it didn't happen sooner so that they might be able to change plans and/or recoup some of their travel expenses- I don't blame them. Even for some local fans, this might have been their only opportunity to see a show, or it's too late now for them to make alternate plans. People are upset, and I understand that.

What surprises/scares me are the people who say they are fans, but then put forth narrow-minded, bigoted attitudes. I realize that people are able to separate politics from the music they like, but it's always been present in Bruce's, to some degree, and I know he didn't make this decision lightly.
Old 10 Apr 2016, 00:09   #57520
Sebastian.
Biggles

I understand fans disappointment as I've had cancelled shows on the past. But it's always a risk I know it's less so with Bruce. Maybe that understanding has been drilled into me more being in the RAF as even this week I've been told I may miss Bruce in London (unlikely guys) and will miss other trying due to the force.
Old 10 Apr 2016, 00:38   #57521
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:
I understand fans disappointment as I've had cancelled shows on the past. But it's always a risk I know it's less so with Bruce.
That's true- it's very rare for him to cancel a show, and I only know of one in recent years that wasn't just postponed and made up. I think that's part of the shock people are feeling- I know I was stunned. But yes, it's always a risk.

When this tour was announced, some of us were talking/joking about the wisdom of touring in Northern states in the dead of Winter; sure enough, one of the NYC shows had to be postponed due to a huge blizzard. Many traveling fans lost out that time as well. The difference is, that was circumstances beyond Bruce's control- this is not.
Old 10 Apr 2016, 02:41   #57522
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

cocodamol plus alcohol equals pain gone but a stupid decision
duke knooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2016, 06:01   #57523
chairboys
Mega Loafer

IMO Bruce was wrong to cancel. There is a time and place to make your point and it isn't by cancelling a rock gig.
Imagine the headline "Loaf refuses Wembley show in support of threatened toads on canal development."
chairboys is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 11 Apr 2016, 10:42   #57524
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairboys View Post
IMO Bruce was wrong to cancel. There is a time and place to make your point and it isn't by cancelling a rock gig.
Imagine the headline "Loaf refuses Wembley show in support of threatened toads on canal development."
The problem with the attitude is now everybody is jumping on the cancellation bandwagon:
http://www.itv.com/news/2016-04-11/i...-anti-gay-law/

And soon I'm sure it will be seen if you don't do that you are a bad person yourself like many claim the law makers are.

And also it is a movement obviously orchestrated/directed by the media in many ways I reckon. Had there not been Caitlyn Jenner, Matrix sisters would this even have been happening? No one protested when the UK government went ahead with yet more bombing in Syria. How well has that policy worked out for mankind. No one cares because it is no longer topical to think that way it seems. The media doesn't care anymore because it is an on-going issue, so easy to ignore. Meanwhile there probably isn't a single toilet left in one piece in many places in Syria let alone a unisex one.

They interviewed a transgender about what her thoughts were on Sky News and she lives in Brighton (why the LGBT movement needs to center in one town I don't get) and of course she found the law uncomfortable. Sure I get that but would she ever have been travelling to North Carolina in the first place. How about the prejudice laws in Saudi Arabia? Are those fine for this transgender in Brighton. How come Saudi Arabia is allowed to be on the United Nations human rights council? How many artists are protesting against that one? Is it fine because the culture is different and they pump billions of gallons of oil out of the ground? Why is the culture not allowed to be different in North Carolina? These are complex matters I think. Transgenderism is complex too. The law is about people using the bathroom based on the gender on their birth certificate (doesn't sound unreasonable to me for the majority of people in society and you can change your birth certificate also in NC if you change your gender). If this still harms some people then the quickest solution for those excluded to feel comfortable would be to re-label all disabled toilets as a unisex / privacy / disabled toilet surely and force all larger public venues to have these. Or is that a too practical / discriminative solution?

I just think this is all a bit over the top, the issue (which is complex and you can never satisfy everyone) and the reaction to it. There are uncomfortable places and laws all over the world for everyone. I didn't particularly felt comfortable traveling to Dubai. I can't stand religion. I find it offence, stupid and terrible that children get indoctrinated so young without any choice or counter argument. I feel I'm not allowed to discuss this usually because those words seem to hurt people more than any others at times and you can even get arrested (even in Britain) for simply challenging one's believes. It gets seen as harassment. Hmmm. But I have to put up with that in society and just get on with things too.

Bruce used to stand up for the working man. I think a vast majority could identify with that. If you are going to start standing up for minorities and the majority loses out because of that it really becomes more questionable or less admirable to a lot of people in my opinion. This is to be expected.

But good luck to the social justice warriors and also good luck to those trying to go to shows who live in a more religious/different area. Perhaps it would be best for Bruce to only play in democrat areas near the coast lines in the States? I hope everyone gets what they want in the end regardless. Where that is difficult is in areas of opposing views "I want society to stick to my Bible teachings"/"I want society to not stick to Bible teachings at all".

A Bruce show is more than just a rock show and these days one has to spend a lot more than just rock show money to go and see him.

Last edited by AndrewG; 11 Apr 2016 at 11:13.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 11 Apr 2016, 18:05   #57525
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

People are focused on the bathroom part of the bill because that's what's in the headlines, and let's face it- it's a stupid law because there's no way they're ever going to enforce it. Are they going to ask people to produce a birth certificate in order to enter a restroom? But the bill is also about something far more important- it prevents municipalities within the state from passing laws that prohibit discrimination. For example, it takes away the right of a person to sue if they are fired from their job based solely on their sexual orientation.

Andrew, you state that you "can't stand" religion, which is your right; the Mississippi law allows businesses to deny services based on religious grounds. As such, opposition of the law seems in line with your own views (IMO).

As far as other artists or businesses "jumping on the bandwagon", that's the whole point. This is in effect an economic boycott. If someone doesn't put a foot down at some point, it can become a slippery slope. Steve Van Zandt spoke about this a few days ago:

YouTube Video