PDA

View Full Version : This ring a bell?

The Flying Mouse
28 Feb 2007, 19:10
:twisted: Came accross this before, thought i'd share.

http://media.mlxxfc.net/ss16.jpg

LucyK!
28 Feb 2007, 19:12
Ohhh Mr Whelan...they've made a right mess of that pic haven't they!

RadioMaster
28 Feb 2007, 19:29
very interesting....
wonder why they used the same picture for two different releases...
Only explanation that springs to mind is that the RNRD cover is unknown enough to used it a second time....

wierd tho, thouht there we´re publishing rights or trademarks or similar...

The Flying Mouse
28 Feb 2007, 19:45
:twisted: Supose it raises the point of who owns the copyright?

Did Meat buy the art off Whealan (and the copyright with it), or did he pay for the right to use the piece in his album booklet and on the single?

LucyK!
28 Feb 2007, 19:49
I'd imagine the second one - after printing the pic in the album and using it to promote R&RD, Meat had no need for the copyright on it

mszee
28 Feb 2007, 20:16
I'd say the copyright belongs to the artist...at least that's how it works in America...whoever uses the copyrighted material just pays royalties

The Flying Mouse
28 Feb 2007, 20:43
:twisted: From what I gather, this book was released in 1999, so it's DEFFINATLY post Bat II

mszee
28 Feb 2007, 20:44
I guess they didn't buy exclusive rights...that artist must have one hell of a lawyer...

Bubbles
28 Feb 2007, 21:25
and did you notice that "marion zimmer bradley" is actually written in the meat loaf font? i mean this definitely is THE font, look at the capital m and the a.....

Monstro
28 Feb 2007, 21:27
It's a bit close to the original.

mszee
28 Feb 2007, 21:30
I don't know...but is there such a thing as Meat Loaf font? I mean...does anybody know for sure that it's something copyrighted or even eligible for copyright?

Monstro
28 Feb 2007, 21:34
I don't know...but is there such a thing as Meat Loaf font? I mean...does anybody know for sure that it's something copyrighted or even eligible for copyright?

Apparently yes

LucyK!
28 Feb 2007, 21:38
There absolutely is a Meat Loaf font, there's fonts that come close but there is "the one" that's Meat's logo, and without going into detail I'm sure some people here will remember him not being impressed with anyone using his copywritten logo...

Bubbles
28 Feb 2007, 21:42

now that youve said that i think i never saw this little c for copyrighted on any of the merchandise stuff......but i always assumed that it is owned by someone (i remeber the strange case of an argument about the ownership on a mere album title....but i'll shut up on that :lol: ;) )

mszee
28 Feb 2007, 21:47
now that youve said that i think i never saw this little c for copyrighted on any of the merchandise stuff......but i always assumed that it is owned by someone (i remeber the strange case of an argument about the ownership on a mere album title....but i'll shut up on that :lol: ;) )

No, mine was really a question...I don't know myself much about it...

RadioMaster
28 Feb 2007, 22:16
Didnt Michael post a thread about the whole ML font thing a few days ago?
Or am I getting old? :confused:

duke knooby
28 Feb 2007, 22:43
http://www.galleryone.com/whelan_prints.htm

appears the piece is called verge, and according to his own web site (shop section) was one of the first pieces he did. others pieces used in the bat booklet date from the early 80's so i imagine michael wheelan owns the copyright for all his pieces

AndyK
28 Feb 2007, 22:52
If I remember correctly there isn't a Meat Loaf font as such. The "Meat Loaf" logo is made up of aspects of a small number of Gothica type fonts, and as such is copyright as a logo.

duke knooby
28 Feb 2007, 22:54
i believe so andy, its made up of many different fonts

mszee
28 Feb 2007, 22:56
If I remember correctly there isn't a Meat Loaf font as such. The "Meat Loaf" logo is made up of aspects of a small number of Gothica type fonts, and as such is copyright as a logo.

So the logo is copyrighted...but not the font itself?

AndyK
28 Feb 2007, 22:59
No there isn't a "font itself" ... the characters that make up the words "Meat Loaf" were drawn based on aspects of existing fonts, the characters that don't make up those words weren't. For example there isn't a "Z" in the mythical Meat Loaf Font which doesn't exist :))

mszee
01 Mar 2007, 02:10
No there isn't a "font itself" ... the characters that make up the words "Meat Loaf" were drawn based on aspects of existing fonts, the characters that don't make up those words weren't. For example there isn't a "Z" in the mythical Meat Loaf Font which doesn't exist :))

1. WHY?
2. Did you have to rub it in???

The Flying Mouse
01 Mar 2007, 09:45
There absolutely is a Meat Loaf font, there's fonts that come close but there is "the one" that's Meat's logo, and without going into detail I'm sure some people here will remember him not being impressed with anyone using his copywritten logo...

:twisted: I remember it well, although Meat's problem was not with the fact it was his logo used.

Many trib acts either use, or have used the "Meat Loaf logo" without any problems.

Unfortunatly one trib artist used the logo, and on nowhere on the advertising material did it say that the act people were paying to see was a trib.

The trib in question was at that time doing a tour run by the same people who had just run Meat's summer tour, and although, the trib artist says, he pulled the company up about the fact the word trib wasn't mentioned, he was assured that everything was fine.

Got quite messy in the end and ended up featuring in a program on Sky 1 :shock:

AndyK
01 Mar 2007, 10:31
1. WHY?
Who knows ... marketing people I guess :))

2. Did you have to rub it in???
There isn't an n d y or K either :(

Monstro
01 Mar 2007, 10:38
Gonna change my name to "Tame Foal" just to gloat lol

AndyK
01 Mar 2007, 10:50
The paperwork is already in for me to become Emo Fatal :))

Monstro
01 Mar 2007, 10:52
The paperwork is already in for me to become Emo Fatal :))

Please please please make that Elmo Feet lol

Cult Of Byron
01 Mar 2007, 14:13

I think this has been established before, maaaany times, it's a resized Bradley Gratis. Some of my local papers use the exact same font so it is out there, just that Meat (or Meat's DESIGN PEOPLE :p) make it taller for the Meat Loaf (c)(tm)(r) logo. Trust me, it's Bradley Gratis.

AndyK
01 Mar 2007, 14:24
I can see your point about Bradley Gratis being the basis for the font used for Meat's logo, but that doesn't take away the pedantic point that there isn't strictly speaking a "Meat Loaf" font type.

Found this (http://www.dafont.com/font.php?file=bradley_gratis&page=1&nb_ppp_old=10&text=Meat+Loaf&nb_ppp=10&psize=m&classt=alpha) site on the web where you can preview the font using any text string you like ...

RadioMaster
01 Mar 2007, 14:26
That font looks REALLY like the ML font :shock:

here´s what I found about it:

Bradley is an 1895 typeface credited to Joseph Warren Phinney (1848-1934). It was based on lettering by Henry William Bradley (1869-1962) for a Christmas cover of Harper's Bazaar magazine. Bradley was the basis for logotypes such as Firestone and Ketel One, and has been used more recently by Disney on theme park signage.