PDA

View Full Version : To Hell And Back

Shadows On The Wall
19 Mar 2003, 18:02
How many poeple here read the biography, i read it last year, and have to say it was great, not just content wise but great layout - They should have made it longer

dottie
19 Mar 2003, 18:33
there are only two kinds of people in the world-good people and evil people.no.wait-there's three kinds. if you count crazy people, who could be either good or bad - or neither. no. wait, wait, wait....

taken from To Hell and Back - rather topical I would of thought considering the current state of the world :cry:

Anonymous
19 Mar 2003, 19:03
good, lol, you know your biography. So whats wrong with the current state of the world, not to change the topic but i agree with the war on iraq.

The Flying Mouse
19 Mar 2003, 19:20
:twisted: It's a great book.
I love the style of writting.Very casual.It's like Meat telling you the stories 8) .
Has anyboby both read the book and seen the film of the same name?
I havn't seen the film,but on another topic,White Of High wrote that in the film Leslie is the one who first gave him a red hankercheif to use on stage.
In the book,Meat says it was Armand Coullet.
Confusing 8O .
Are there any more contradictions like this?

mellis107
19 Mar 2003, 19:54
I don't know what Jim Steinman is like in real life (crazy if you read To Hell and Back!), but in the film, he's sooooo funny.

But let's face it, with the downward slide in Meat's life as played out in the film, the viewer needs some humour!

Oh, and I saw the guy who played Meat in the X Files the other week.

Anonymous
19 Mar 2003, 20:00
Thought the quote at the beginning of the book was written by someone,somewhere who had great hindsight into what our future might be - This is what I mean if you read between the lines

Dottie - cannot sign in - keeps telling me username already taken - yes I know by me - can anyone help me - only way off leaving message thankxs

Tim
19 Mar 2003, 21:12
Very, very cool book!! Read it already twice! And a great cover...very beautifull, and nice pics!

Bart
19 Mar 2003, 21:58
Are there any more contradictions like this?

Yes. Meat is never good in numbers or names. He said in the book that he had een reunion with Jim Steinman in 1989, but it was in the spring of 1987. In those days there was a fanclub. They had a magazine (the neverland express), it came out 3 or 4 times a year. In 1987 they mentioned this. it was something i will never forget so i know the book is wrong. Another reason: in that year Original sin came out. Meat was angry cause there were several songs on it which were written for him (original sin, it just won't quit).

Cloggy
20 Mar 2003, 02:29
The book is great, the movie is utter shit ;/

Fire Ball
20 Mar 2003, 07:07
Never seen it, but it's that good ! Great!!!!!

MeatBall
20 Mar 2003, 11:13
I´m half through the book now and i read in it every day. The best book ever written :D :wink:

Bart
20 Mar 2003, 12:13
It is great to read about the making of BOOH I and II. But do noit forget that it is Meat's version of history. Do you know the other book written by (i am not that good in names) Sandy Robertson? Back in 1981? It is called "the phenomenon of excess"? It is about Meat Loaf and Jim Steinman. It is great!!!!

dottie
20 Mar 2003, 12:18
Haven't heard of this Bart - but am going to do the rounds of secondhand record and book shops when I come home - In Kingston we have a brilliant recordshop called Beggars Banquet if anyones got it they have. Do you know the publishers name?

Bart
20 Mar 2003, 12:30
i look it up for you, grannie! have a nice holiday on tenerife!

dottie
20 Mar 2003, 12:32
i look it up for you, grannie! have a nice holiday on tenerife!
You lovely man :wink:

Shadows On The Wall
20 Mar 2003, 17:02
Yea as i said before, the book is fantastic!!!, but the movie is rubbish - the man who plays meat should be shot. Its unrealistic and boreing (being blunt)

Anonymous
20 Mar 2003, 18:23
To be honest i thought both the book and movie were very good, although they do contradict each other sometimes. Does anyone one know why meat himself didnt star in the movie? I mean come on he's a great actor, did he have any input on the movie at all?

Maybe he could shed some light on this?

The Flying Mouse
20 Mar 2003, 20:01
Meat Loaf Jim Steinman and the phenomenology of excess.
Omnibus Press.
UK order No: OP 41524

Hope that helps.

dottie
20 Mar 2003, 21:16
Omnibus Press.

Hope that helps. Thank you Flying Mouse for the info

Bart
20 Mar 2003, 22:06
He Flying Mouse thanx for the help! Now grannie goes happy to tenerife.

dottie
20 Mar 2003, 22:40
Hey Bart
Not so much of the grannie unless of course you mean it in a :wink: way - be leaving you all soon :(

Bart
20 Mar 2003, 22:45
i mean it in the good way. do not get angry on this baldheaded looser please.....

mariella
20 Mar 2003, 22:59
Dottie, you make sure you have the time of your life :bunny:
I love this bunny, just can't help myself :bunny:
Make sure you come back safely and TELL US ALL ABOUT IT!!!

See you soon,

Mariella

Guppie
21 Mar 2003, 00:15
Hey Bart
Not so much of the grannie unless of course you mean it in a :wink: way - be leaving you all soon :(
he he... I think it's GREAT that you still rock at your age. You're a good example for me. I'm almost 42 and not the "average" mommy either :lol:

Guppie
21 Mar 2003, 00:16
i mean it in the good way. do not get angry on this baldheaded looser please.....
Nah... you may be baldheaded but somehow I don't think you're a looser. Not by a long shot. :D

dottie
21 Mar 2003, 00:53

Bart I never ever could get angry with you - you are a sweetie :)

dottie
21 Mar 2003, 00:55
Dottie, you make sure you have the time of your life :bunny:
I love this bunny, just can't help myself :bunny:
Make sure you come back safely and TELL US ALL ABOUT IT!!!

See you soon,

Mariella

Will do Mariella - if I find a computer somewhere - I'll log on

Ben
21 Mar 2003, 02:32
I went to oxford street to buy meats book as he was doing a book signing there. i also got my photo taken with him, it was a great day. i started reading the book on the train on the way home and couldnt put it down. i finished it by the next evening!! Great reading!! i have not seen the film, does anybody know if it is available to buy on video / dvd in the UK?

Overlord
21 Mar 2003, 03:38
Omnibus Press.

Hope that helps.

OH MY GOD! I just read some excerpts from this book on www.jimsteinman.com - if I die now, I hope to have read it before.

Dave.

sherrie87
21 Mar 2003, 17:32
I read the book in December, and I absolutely loved it. It reminded me of another bio I liked called "Mankind- Have a Nice Day: A Tale of Blood and Sweatsocks". That's actually by an American wrestler, but the conversational tone and the vivid recounting of concussions was similar in tone to the Mankind book. I loved the Meat Loaf book, but finding it was a bear. No local stores had it, the online bookstores said it was out of print. Finally my local library borrowed in from a library in another city and I was able to read it. Best of all- I just picked up a hardcover copy on eBay yesterday for a dollar. Yes $1- I could not believe it, as I was willing to pay 20 times that. I eagerly await it's arrival in the mail- I'm glad to have my own copy to enjoy over and over!
Sherrie :lol:

mellis107
21 Mar 2003, 18:46
I picked it up quite easily in WHSmiths.

The film is shown quite regularly on one of the Sky Movie Channels.

mikey

Shane
22 Mar 2003, 01:51
I can't remember exactly when I read it, but it was late 1999 or early 2000. I read it all in one day. I just could NOT put it down until I'd finished.

Dick
22 Mar 2003, 10:15
I was staying with friends for a week in Donegal in Ireland, and my friend bought me the book for my birthday, i didn't put it down for the rest of the week.
It got to the stage when my friend said, "I wish i never bought you that bloody book!" :)

Richard.

tbuck
23 Mar 2003, 07:08
Have to agreed, " To Hell and Back" is a great read, a must for any ML fan. The "...Phenomono;ogy of Excess" book is also very interesting, if you can find it. One went for a crazy amount of money in ebay a while back.

Jaymze
24 Mar 2003, 00:59
the book is great, i loved it, i can't believe what Meat was going through, especially when i watch his music videos from the 80s and see that despite what he was going through he could still get in role and be professional. However the movie is a mediocre, innacurate hack of the book and i would recommend that no one watches or buys it so that it quickly slips out of existence and that insult is forgotten.