PDA

View Full Version : Use of language

The Archangel Gabriel
03 Apr 2004, 21:15
I Gabriel am probably in a minority here, but i dislike the use of bad language in posts on the forum, and simply substituting the middle few letters with******* doesn't make it any better, it's still swearing, and not necessary ......i personally find no enjoyment in reading endless posts full of expletives!!

Think before you post

Gabriel

Chris
03 Apr 2004, 21:17
I'm with the angel on this one.

black dog
03 Apr 2004, 22:28
CHSIB

The Flying Mouse
04 Apr 2004, 03:11
:twisted: How about a poll? :idea:

RSG
04 Apr 2004, 04:24
of course, a poll would be a great idea.
i know exactly what Gabriel means but I
feel it is a great forum the way it is. there
is no tollerant for flaming and certain bad
words, but I feel personally its a great
site full of wise moderators who know when
something should be deleted. i feel the use
words we already use is rather small meaning
my point?

if i were to call one a bad name, then yes, that is wrong, and shouldn't be said on the forum. but if its a joke with such a minor word, i don't think it should matter much. so if there were a poll i would be on the side where, the forum is great as it is. but if there was a message where it was constantly swearing then yes, that is a rather big issue. an odd word, shouldn't hurt. but thats just me :) no hard feels Gabriel :P

its rock n roll after all. :wink:

DIZZY DRUMMER
04 Apr 2004, 09:09
I agree that swearing for the sake of swearing should not be tolerated, especially if it is aimed at any one/group of individuals.

I do not use foul language in my normal conversation, but have been known to let slip the odd thing. I must admit that I have used a word in my Blog, but it was in context to my anger at a situation I found myself in and definately not aimed at any individual.

As RSG wote:

I feel personally its a great
site full of wise moderators who know when
something should be deleted. i feel the use
words we already use is rather small meaning
my point?

If the mods thought that there was a problem - then they would soon sort it out (like they have in the past)

I also think it depends on the actual swear word/phrase it's self - some are just foul and I would never dream of using them - whereas others are (to me) an expression that highlights a point and no offensive. I would give examples, but won't out of principle. I'm sure people know which words are which.

Yes - why not have a poll, see what others think :wink:

The Flying Mouse
04 Apr 2004, 14:49
:twisted: I've set a poll up to see what people's opinions are on this.

The Archangel Gabriel
04 Apr 2004, 18:10
Thankyou for doing the poll o wise and revered flying one of rodent persuasion :lol:

...i'll translate that, thankyou Flying Mouse, appreciated. :D

...but i still thinkest i am in a minority......

Yours faithfully
Gabriel

KebLou
04 Apr 2004, 18:16
I don't think it matters that your in the minority, I don't really mind the swearing I hear it everyday but I try not to swear as I know it causes offence to some pleople.

LostSoul
05 Apr 2004, 04:45
Some 'well-turned phrases' without any swearing can be much more offensive than the swearing itself.

Patricia

Pudding
05 Apr 2004, 12:52
As daft as it sounds all a swear word is a word. It's the person who reads it or hears it who interprets it as a bad word. Is ~~~~~~ a swear word?, what about sod? or damn or balls or even Jesus! They can all be used in the exact same way as S***, F***, T***, A*** or C*** but not be classed as swear words.

If somebody decides to use a word that is in the Oxford English Dictionary to emphasise a sentence or phrase, then why should it matter what that word is?

Who decided that poo was good, crap was OK but shit was just not on in everyday language? it's just a word that somebody decided was bad, when really it's just the same as poo but spelt differently.

If somebody decides to use a swear word in the correct manner to emphasise something then so be it, we're all adults and unless we're priests or nuns we hear this sort of language everyday. If somebody doesn't decide to use a swear word then fair enough it's up to them but at the end of the day it's just another word in the English language.

Spud :twisted:

SueW
05 Apr 2004, 23:05
I know I'm showing my age but I think that unfortunately with constant use swear words lose their shock value. If I hear two youngsters and every other word is a swear word, I don't tend to notice it but it certainly has more effect when someone who doesn't swear much, utters a swear word. And I certainly don't like it when anyone swears in front of a young child and yet frequently I hear young mothers doing so.

It does make me laugh though when I read the newspaper and I keep seeing f**k written - it's blantanly obvious what word they are not printing so why do it? Maybe "expletive deleted" (as was used on the Watergate transcripts) would make the paper reading more interesting as we could guess what was said!

I do swear on occassions (mainly when I'm provoked) but I think that the English language is so rich that to describe everything as f**king this and f**king that just isn't neccessary. But then I don't use smilies for the same reason... IMHO the English language has managed perfectly well for 1,000 years or whatever without a smiley so why start now?!

KebLou
05 Apr 2004, 23:11
I know I think it is very wrong when mothers tell off there children and everyother word is a swear word.

Winston
05 Apr 2004, 23:55
This is not a creche

black dog
06 Apr 2004, 00:18
This is not a creche

It may not be a creche Winston but what is there to stop children who are interested in Meat Loaf coming to look at this site? My son quite often looks at the posts when I am on line

KebLou
06 Apr 2004, 00:23
This is not a creche
It may not be a creche but that doesn't mean adults might not like language being used so losely my nan hates swear words and she goes mad when she reads or hears them, I know plenty of people who are like this.

AndyK
06 Apr 2004, 00:29
Swearing is an emotive issue. Everyone has an opinion of some sort on this, and you're going to be able to please all of the people all of the time.

The automatic censoring software on this forum is pretty effective, and those that do slip through that are thought to be too offensive are editted by the moderating team... that's one of the reasons why we're here.

If you see soemthing you think is offensive, let one of us know.

Winston
06 Apr 2004, 00:31
show a little faith there's magic in the night

AndyK
06 Apr 2004, 00:33
I'm getting a strong sense of deja vu here :D

Pudding
06 Apr 2004, 01:03
When and who decided that a word was bad?

When in society or in history past did someone say "You can't use that word because it's bad"? and who said it? and who agreed that it was bad? and which people in society said yes that's a bad word?. I tell ya it's the church goers the do-gooders and the people of society who think they're better than somebody else - that's who!.

Who decided saying ~~~~~~~ was bad when it's said in the Bible numerous times?
Who said saying shit was bad even if it has the same meaning as poo?
Who decided that f*ck was a bad word when nobody knew what a f*ck was?
The list is endless but who decided that they were bad words?

Who told YOU that f*ck was a bad word? probably your parents! and who told them? probably their parents! and who told them? their parents, school or Church and then who told them? - you get the picture!.

You have information that's past down from generation to generation that certain words are bad but nobody knows why they're bad, they've just been told that they are. It's probably because they've been programmed to believe that they are by certain members of society who no doubt themselves was told by other certain members of society that a word was bad.

I suggest that you don't blame someone for using a swear word but you blame people like keb's nan (no offense keb) and other older members of society for deciding that a word was bad in the first place! Because if they didn't then perhaps that particular word might have been fogotten or not used at all.

Winston
06 Apr 2004, 01:06
Personally I learnt all my swear words from Meat....WHICH I READ OF HERE....I don't see anyone on the thread mentioning his use of words.

Ooopss what was I thinking......one rule for one......

LostSoul
06 Apr 2004, 01:11
Personally I learnt all my swear words from Meat....WHICH I READ OF HERE....
Most of you may know I'm a foreigner. I know a few but since then I've learnt a LOT more as well. 8O

Patricia

Pudding
06 Apr 2004, 01:17
Personally I learnt all my swear words from Meat....WHICH I READ OF HERE....

Most of you may know I'm a foreigner. I know a few but since then I've learnt a LOT more as well. 8O

Patricia

Very, very good points. I was at a Meat Loaf concert years ago in Sheffield and he must have said the word f*ck at least a good few dozen times AND there were children there.

Perhaps we should have a moderator to edit Meats concerts and live recordings :bicker:

LostSoul
06 Apr 2004, 01:25
Meat pays for the right of swearing on stage! :twisted:

Btw, how much does he pay for every four letter word (i.e. f*ck)? :P

Patricia

LostSoul
06 Apr 2004, 03:20
Unless it is a swearing ticket he pays for? :roll:

Patricia

KebLou
06 Apr 2004, 19:00
You have information that's past down from generation to generation that certain words are bad but nobody knows why they're bad, they've just been told that they are. It's probably because they've been programmed to believe that they are by certain members of society who no doubt themselves was told by other certain members of society that a word was bad.

I suggest that you don't blame someone for using a swear word but you blame people like keb's nan (no offense keb) and other older members of society for deciding that a word was bad in the first place! Because if they didn't then perhaps that particular word might have been fogotten or not used at all.

None taken Spud, but spud you can't change peoples opinions on whether a word is acceptable or not, because I know plenty of people who swear without a second thought but even some words the will never say because they class it as unacceptable, like my nan will say S--- but not other words and my mums friend will nearly every word which can be classed a swear word but won't say one or two.
I agree it is everyones perception, but everyone is allowed an opinion and they might not like to hear it, like would you really like to hear a 5 yr old walking around saying any of those words, I know I wouldn't and when my little brother said F--- in front of me I went crazy, yeah I may have used the word once or twice before but never in front of him. It all depends on the person.
Kebbie 8)

Pudding
06 Apr 2004, 22:35
I agree, I think some people over-use the word to a point where it becomes boring.

But you clearly made my point by the way you reacted to your little brother saying f***. If you hadn't reacted the way you did then he probably wouldn't know it's a swear word he? and maybe he'd have forgotten about it until the next time he watched TV. I think it's through pre-programmed reactions and actions like yours that has turned an average ordinary word into a swear word.

I know everyone has an opinion about swearing but just because somebody does swear, it doesn't make them a bad person. ~~~~~~ never swore and despised anyone who did and look how he turned out. :bicker:

Pud :twisted:

KebLou
06 Apr 2004, 22:42
Yeah I see what you mean, he hasn't ever said it again, I've heard nearly all the words so much now that I don't flinch like I used to.

DIZZY DRUMMER
06 Apr 2004, 23:15
Just the way society is going - not necessarily for the best :twisted:

I am proud that my 15 yrs old daughter may have her faults - but swearing is not one of them - she hates it if I say Bloody.

black dog
06 Apr 2004, 23:23
When and who decided that a word was bad?

When in society or in history past did someone say "You can't use that word because it's bad"? and who said it? and who agreed that it was bad? and which people in society said yes that's a bad word?. I tell ya it's the church goers the do-gooders and the people of society who think they're better than somebody else - that's who!.

Who decided saying b*st*rd was bad when it's said in the Bible numerous times?
Who said saying shit was bad even if it has the same meaning as poo?
Who decided that f*ck was a bad word when nobody knew what a f*ck was?
The list is endless but who decided that they were bad words?

Who told YOU that f*ck was a bad word? probably your parents! and who told them? probably their parents! and who told them? their parents, school or Church and then who told them? - you get the picture!.

This is very true Spud as we learn all our ideas about right and wrong from other people.

Most people appreciate it when people say 'Please' and 'Thank you' but why should people use these words except that we are taught it is polite by our parents.

Overall the information we are given by our parents about right and wrong has a positive effect on society. Therefore, so what if some of it isn't beneficial

Alex
22 Apr 2004, 20:48
Personally I learnt all my swear words from Meat....WHICH I READ OF HERE....I don't see anyone on the thread mentioning his use of words.

Ooopss what was I thinking......one rule for one......

This is about the forums :roll: I believe you're talking about concerts. If Meat was to come here f'in and blinding (after a no-swear policy was in place, maybe we'd see the 'eavy mob come down upon him).

I understand your point that we 'ignore' Meat's stage vocab, but that is a) part of his act at times, and b) not (as i've just said) relevant to here.

Just a side note, (veering back onto topic, if I may). How far would you take this? Which words would you 'block', how would we decide these? Do you take out only the 'strong' words, or do you go for some of the 'weaker' ones also? Do you bridge the boundary of religion and say that blasphamy (sp?) is not allowed.... these two rules take out quite a few acronym's. OMG! OMFG!! ROFLMAO!! LMAO!!....

I'm all for keeping to 'polite' conversation. (nice post previous to this about 'politeness' inheritance). However I don't believe that we could impose any rules on swearing. Maybe post some language 'guidelines', asking people to refrain from it where unnecessary (how to determine that? ;) ). I personally reached a stage where I decided I swore too much for my own liking (not in comparrison to others of my age though I'd say) and so am widing my used vocab. :)

:D :) :( :o :lol: 8) :? 8O :x :P :oops: :cry: :wink: :roll: :twisted: :evil: :!: :??: :idea: :arrow:

p.s. Smilies added for the pleasure of Sue ;) (and nah, I sha'nt be cutting down my use of these little babies ;) ).

Winston
22 Apr 2004, 22:08
This is about the forums :roll: I believe you're talking about concerts. If Meat was to come here f'in and blinding (after a no-swear policy was in place, maybe we'd see the 'eavy mob come down upon him).

No I wasn't talking about his concert! I was talking about his choice of words on here...and the heavy mob have NOT come down on him for insults towards other fans here.

DIZZY DRUMMER
23 Apr 2004, 18:17
Winston wrote:

No I wasn't talking about his concert! I was talking about his choice of words on here...and the heavy mob have NOT come down on him for insults towards other fans here.

That is old news now and finished with why drag it up again?????

Anyway - I think the language on the chat is terrible at times - especially by some individuals. Even when asked to refrain they continued. What about that being monitored randomly not just the forum ?????

We like to go on there after a hard day and unwind with friends - have a laugh and a joke - share the day - not listen to such obscenities and be abused 8O

KebLou
23 Apr 2004, 19:21
Anyway - I think the language on the chat is terrible at times - especially by some individuals. Even when asked to refrain they continued. What about that being monitored randomly not just the forum ?????

We like to go on there after a hard day and unwind with friends - have a laugh and a joke - share the day - not listen to such obscenities and be abused 8O

I think you are right there FA, and I know I have sworn on the chat once but that was after enduring at least a few hours of someone calling me names, and even so it was a repeat of what they said. I feel sorry for the people who came on and didn't know what had happened and wanted to come on to relax.

Winston
23 Apr 2004, 21:02
I was replying to Alex..........the thread is about use of language on the board isn't it?

black dog
23 Apr 2004, 23:03
Surely though if people do not want bad language on the forum that would go for the chatroom as well as it is the same people in there that are on the forums.

I have been in the chatroom a few times when people have come in there to just be obusive to other people. This is not the purpose of the chatroom which is there for people to share experiences, have a laugh and get to know each other better.

DIZZY DRUMMER
23 Apr 2004, 23:14
Here here BD

Surely bad language anywhere on the site should be considered an issue

[RDH]draconia
24 Apr 2004, 21:50
im not much for the forum lately reading it that is :oops: :oops: , but i do go into the chatroom an di also admit that i do sometimes swear in there :oops: but most of the people in there know what im like :oops:
and i do try and curbe it
I also play on-line games and the group that i am with have kicked and banned a member for the abuse and swearing that he done
It wasnt a decision that was made lightly and he was warned many times
and all he said was i am only 16
the sad point is english is his second language he is german and as he was pointed out if he could spell/type the word he knew what it ment and he also put off a lot of new members to the group because of it, as well as fellow members

i am sorry if this offends anyone

draconia

DIZZY DRUMMER
24 Apr 2004, 21:59
Drac

the odd swear word in the chat to express an opinion is not a problem - but constant abuse at people is not acceptable.

[RDH]draconia
24 Apr 2004, 22:01
phew thats oh ok then :twisted: :twisted:

KebLou
27 Apr 2004, 12:22
Drac

the odd swear word in the chat to express an opinion is not a problem - but constant abuse at people is not acceptable.

I think thats fair, although I try not to swear as it can cause unnessary offence. Maybe I'm to considerate, :twisted:

heat
03 May 2004, 15:30
Having not been around for a while, i thought i'd just comment on this.

Personally, i don't mind swearing. That's not to say that i do it in front of my kids, or that i'd like other people to swear in front of them, but lets be realistic here. We live in a society, that rightly or wrongly has decided that some words aren't 'good' and looks down on people that use them. It's like Sheffif Spud said, it's how a person interprets what another one says that causes offence.

I really don't mind if people here on the forum swear or not. Yes, i swear sometimes. But that's just me. If it offends anyone, then don't read what i write. Simple as that.

Dave
06 May 2004, 04:33
*blah*

The Archangel Gabriel
07 May 2004, 14:23
Interesting to read people's views

we'll agree to disagree, each to his own, live and let live :D
no further comment from me.

Yours faithfully
Gabriel

Kathy
09 May 2004, 23:06
Some 'well-turned phrases' without any swearing can be much more offensive than the swearing itself.
Patricia

My feelings exactly, Patricia.
-Kathy

Rob The Badger
12 May 2004, 22:49
Having not been around for a while, i thought i'd just comment on this.

Personally, i don't mind swearing. That's not to say that i do it in front of my kids, or that i'd like other people to swear in front of them, but lets be realistic here. We live in a society, that rightly or wrongly has decided that some words aren't 'good' and looks down on people that use them. It's like Sheffif Spud said, it's how a person interprets what another one says that causes offence.

I really don't mind if people here on the forum swear or not. Yes, i swear sometimes. But that's just me. If it offends anyone, then don't read what i write. Simple as that.

Spot on. I've got no qualms about it. I try to use other language where possible, but I don't look down on people who use the occasional 'naughty' word.