PDA

View Full Version : 1. Bat Out Of Hell

White of High
23 Jul 2002, 21:44
This is the START OUT OF HELL & ARRIVE TO HEAVEN topic. I'm gonna start with Bat Out Of Hell. Let's Go to Rock 'n' Roll!!!!!!!

Bat Out Of Hell (10)

I think this is one of the best Meat Loaf song. This is reality heavy metal. I couldn't draw line between original metal and musical, but I think this is the METAL. I think the story's playing in the Other World in mind of Jim. The free is the most important in the life when you can ride a Harley Davidson. The picture of the end is fantastic. I'm imaging the next act: The boy lies in the bottom of the canyon in blood. The angels are flying above his head. He's closing his eyes so slowly and the last picture is a bat's breaking out of his body and flying away to the light with the angels.
I don't understand why bat, why not a bird? Maybe it's more mystery.
Just a comment: Jim's should written more emotion and mysterious in the music in the end of the song...

My score: 10

Average: 10.00 (290/29) [07/08/05]

Steve
23 Jul 2002, 21:58
Bat Out of Hell is a metaphor for speed and is a relatively common expression in English.

"Then I'm dying at the bottom of a pit in the blazing sun
Torn and twisted at the foot of a burning bike
And I think somebody somewhere must be tolling a bell
And the last thing I see is my heart
Still beating, still beating
Breaking out of my body and flying away"

The crash is also a metaphor for hell (flames, chaos, injury and death) so there is this comparison between the heart (soul) leaving the body for it's onward journey to 'a better place'.

Bearing in mind Jim's passion for Peter Pan, this can be seen as the profane shuffling off the garbage and travelling to a pure new place where nothing ages.

The Flying Mouse
24 Jul 2002, 23:19
:twisted:I like to think of BAT OUT OF HELL as the ultimate requium.It's a song about life after death.this guy's speeding down the highway he,crashes,paints the ground with his blood and has his heart smash through his ribcage to lie beating on the ground.But that's ok because we hear the angels at the end singing him to paradise.The greatest triumph.
Jim however says (on the classic albums video) that he wrote BAT OUT OF HELL because he wanted to write the ultimate crash song in the tradition of tell Lara I love her,Leader of the pack ect.
Either way (in my opinion),BAT is the best song EVER.It's the song that got me into Meat Loaf (after hearing about 10 seconds on a t.v. advert) and iv'e been hooked ever since.
Score out of ten:Need you ask?
P.S. Two more points.
1. My favourite version is the Meat Loaf live at Wemberley (1987)

2. I can't stand it when only the first half is put on a c.d. or played on the radio.It finishes before the crash,and so defeats the whole purpose of the song.

KEEP ON ROCKIN'

Michel
11 Jan 2003, 14:42
I think this is the best song Jim has ever written. And with Meat's voice I think it's the best song ever made.
The solo is the best, and than you have the crash, with a typical Steinman thing. From poerwfull music to quiet music.

My Score: 9,5

Bart
21 Feb 2003, 10:04
i always liked paradise a lot. so borrowed the album from my older sister just to record paradise. i thought that paradise would be the only good song on it. to convince myself about that i just put the first song on and from the very first tunes i was hypnotized. the first 2 minutes are the best minutes i will ever hear on a song. i still can put it on over and over again.
the lyrics of this song were used in a school book i remember. it was alla bout society failures.anyway. what else can i say about this song.
10/10

batloaf
06 May 2003, 02:53
:D This is it , This is the one that made me a FAN.
10 years ago when i saw the videoclip after the first 30 seconds i was hooked.
those first sentence "The Sirens are screaming and the fires are howling way down in the valley tonight" are superb

this will be 10+/10

heat
11 May 2003, 21:36
The BEST....

What else is there to say??

10/10

Heat
xxx

Testify
09 Jul 2003, 15:08
there is nothing to say about this!!

10/10

Evan
09 Jul 2003, 20:09
With the exception of "For Crying Out Loud" this is IT. This is Meat/Jimmy's best song. The song deals with being obessed by an obsession and it hands down the most extreme car crash song ever, sorry Ray Peterson (Tell Laura I Love Her.) In fact, there isn't anything more to say, just put this one on and BLAST it!

1000/10 which equals 10/10

Terri
09 Jul 2003, 21:06
What can I say - for me this is the one that can never be topped :D

TOTALLY BRILLIANT

10/10

Cathie
10 Jul 2003, 00:28
Hooked from the first line
It's still a classic and the ultimate car crash song
Nothing more to be said...
10/10

dottie
10 Jul 2003, 11:42
Ask any new fan which song they heard first which "tuned" them into Meat and I would think all of them would say Bat out of Hell - humongous 10/10

Rob The Badger
10 Jul 2003, 19:51
This is it as far as Steimnan goes. He hasn't bettered this song. 'Nuff sed.

bambi
10 Jul 2003, 19:55
10/10 def no other can compare :lol:

mariella
23 Jul 2003, 00:44
Brilliant!

10/10

RSG
14 Aug 2003, 06:48
This is the first song, I have ever heard by Meat Loaf! I only used to play this at night, even when I was six. When my father played this album, just that one time, and he played Bat Out Of Hell, it was dark outside!!! I love playing this in the dark! Close my eyes, and picture the imagery. This is my favourite song, there is no exception.

"Bat Out Of Hell" is about as going fast as you possibly can. Every bike has a limit. And in this song is about meeting your limit, and the consequence when you hit your "as fast as you can go". I think the character is racing to his girl, and going as fast as he can to get to her, and of course in the end, a terrible crash, but yet, his heart still soars in the air, and its going........soaring pretty fast in the direction of a better place. Now that's the limit, you can't go past that. GO STEINMAN!!! Best reaching your limits song that there will ever be!!!!!!!!! I mention, ever was as well?

When I was 9, I used play this song at night. I would wait, but I would only play this and paradise. But grown up a bit later on, and now they are all, 9.5's and above!!!

Quigmo
17 Sep 2003, 03:29
Rock & roll perfection. 26 years later each listen is like the first time for me. This song just plain blows me away.
10/10 +

RSG
13 Nov 2003, 02:31
This is Austin's review of Bat out Of Hell. (My 8 year old brother)

10\10.

I like the music, and I like Meat Loaf. :twisted: 8) :evil:
:roll: :devil:

Cpl Mickey
16 Nov 2003, 18:43
This song just rocks even after all these years and Meat just gets better and better each time i hear this live. It is my all time favourite Meat song so if i could i would give it 100/10

PanicLord
16 Nov 2003, 19:15
This is an absolutely stunning song, with both Meat and Jim on outstanding top form. I only like two other songs as much as this - IGLHFBOU, and FCOL (sorry, lazy!)

10 out of 10. What else could it be?

ChrissybabezNI
21 Nov 2003, 00:10
Obviously this song deserves a full ten out of ten. The first song I heard of Meatloafs and I spent a long time with my friend talking about the words in the song and it's meanings. Firm favourite of mine and always will be.

10/10

Lauren
23 Nov 2003, 01:07
THE rock classic, nothing can be said about this song that either
a-hasn't already been said or
b-would do it justice
10/10

Skeleton
27 Nov 2003, 09:28
Bat Out Of Hell is brilliant song. Itīs the best song ever. And it will always to be as the best song in world history. 11/10

LostSoul
30 Dec 2003, 01:00
It's a very intense song. Sometimes I just can't stand it... too much for me... and have to skip it! weird, ain't it?

I'm a bit confused with some reviews here talking about "car or bike crash"... I do not see any of those in this song!
For me it's more than that... I mean... of course it's written but I just can't picture it!
But it's my opinion... and maybe I'm talking nonsense... :roll:

10/10 album version
11/10 live!

ps: I still can feel the aura at Wembley last 18 december when Meat was performing... he took my breath way... and I guess... not only mine!

rockfenris2005
31 Dec 2003, 09:54
I think it's sacrilege to rate this song. Get rid of this section, White of High. Anywayz, 10/10.

AndyK
03 Jan 2004, 15:05
Exactly!

A timeless classic WAY ahead of it's time (as witnessed by the recordings on Neverland and Dream Engine)

Either live or recorded it sounds as fresh today as it did 25+ years ago!

a complete and resounding 10/10 as an absolute minium for this one! Any one who gives it less deserves a long and lsow and extremely painful death :twisted:

Renegade Angel
06 Jan 2004, 22:29
What an amazing song - surley a contender for best rock anthem ever?

I never tire of hearing the song and I especially love to hear it LIVE!!
I love the way that when Meat performs it Live he sings the line '..but i can't stop thinking of you' a different way everytime.

DIZZY DRUMMER
06 Jan 2004, 23:54
absolute cracking song - no matter how many times i hear it

Great throu & though - vocals, guitars drums etc

live version at birmingham - brought tear to eye (1st live meat concert) 8O

YOFFIE
09 Jan 2004, 09:06
What can you say? This is the best! 10/10

My daughter has recently moved away and I drive to see her at weekends , needless to say playing Meatloaf and singing along as I drive! On Christmas Eve I was singing along to Bat Out Of Hell when I was stopped at traffic lights. Window open , singing along - you get the picture ! A car pulled up beside me with 2 young guys and they started joining in ! So if that was you at the Brookwood crossroads traffic lights in Surrey - thank you!! :wink:

meat loaf is my god
02 Feb 2004, 21:22
A Land Mark For Music eveywere

10/10

Mr Loaf
08 Mar 2004, 12:27
This is simply the greatest song ever recorded. No discussion. No argument

20,000/10 !!

Period !

M.Bison
27 Mar 2004, 19:45
*Gong* *Gong*

Out of all the Meat Loaf songs out there, this happens to be the best one. If this song never existed, I don't think Meat would be where he is today.
10/10

RSG
31 Mar 2004, 00:25
*Gong* *Gong*

Out of all the Meat Loaf songs out there, this happens to be the best one. If this song never existed, I don't think Meat would be where he is today.
10/10

Everything happens for a reason

if it wasn't for BOOH, there never would have been Bad Attitude, Dead Ringer & CHSIB and Bat2, oh what a quiet world we would live in. musicwise.

Fallen Angel
09 Apr 2004, 22:03
Guys
We alll have diff. intepretatations of >ML songs
and i just wanted to see wot your intep of
Bat was.

KebLou
09 Apr 2004, 22:17
Meats in love with this woman, but he can't love her the wat he knows he should so hes going to leave her, but he knows that he will come back and beg for her to take him back, the last part is easy, hes driving along and hes too wrapped up in thinking about her and he crashes and in the end he dies.
Sorry this is a bit rushed but I will edit it later.

airhead
09 Apr 2004, 23:54
David was at home. He was just sitting there, the light turned off. Tears ran down his cheek, and he heard her come in, tiptoe in the door and shut it softly. David quickly looked at the clock, and realised it was three o clock in the morning. He saw her come in, he wiped his cheek and saw her face. He turned the sheet over, and she got in, and went to sleep without saying a word. And he was left in the dark again.

Sorry thats Left in the dark! Well I've got my story of bat on these boards somewhere...

Fallen Angel
10 Apr 2004, 17:05
O.k heres mine:
The guy knows life in the world is tough.
Hes involved with a girl but cant stay in the one place all his life and wants to get out off town. But he knows that if he goes hes gonna come back anyway. Eventually he explains this and trys to leave..however hes only thinkin about the girl and not watching the road and sadly he crashes. Lying there in the sun as he passes(im being nice 2day) he thinks he sees his heart leaving him.
there ya go!!
leeann

The Flying Mouse
10 Apr 2004, 19:23
:twisted: Over to the Tyre Tracks & Broken Hearts forum and merged with the Bat Out Of Hell thread :wink:

Fallen Angel
10 Apr 2004, 20:20
Thats cool with me flying mouse. :)

RSG
11 Apr 2004, 06:22
Bat Out Of Hell, is about going as fast as you can go, and a bit further!

Gez
13 Apr 2004, 09:10
...........and jumping up and down :wink:

Kathy
24 Apr 2004, 22:31
Bat Out of Hell is the perfect rock song - the best ever - 10 for sure.

There's a live version on Prime Cuts that I love as much (more???) as the original studio version - I often walk to this CD, and in the line "He was starting to foam in the heat", when Meat draws out the word 'heeeat" I have to be careful not to trip over my own feet :lol: The CD insert doesn't say where he sang it live, but gives the date 1987.

-Kathy

Bart
05 May 2004, 15:00
that must have been recorded in Wembley on 1 and 2 march 1987. Its from the Live at Wembley CD.

Kathy
06 May 2004, 00:55
Thanks Bart, that's it! (listening to it right now) :)

-Kathy

Jackoutofhell
29 May 2006, 01:59
It's impossible to describe the superiority of this song to anything else in history. I love it, love it. I always jump up and sing at the last, "like a bat out of hell!"

White of High
04 Jan 2007, 11:34
Average: 10.00 (290/29)

Evil One
21 Jan 2007, 14:05

mszee
21 Jan 2007, 15:39

samurai7
22 Jan 2007, 04:49
10. No need to say any more.

robgomm
22 Jan 2007, 11:13
Easiest song to rate ever.

100 out of 10, and no I didn't mistype.

The ultimate crash song, the ultimate rock and roll story. Best version I ever heard of this was from the Melbourne Concert, such emotion, such effort, I really think when he sang that song he thought he really believed it was the last time he would ever sing it, I really think he intended it to be the last world tour.

Glad he changed his mind though!