PDA

View Full Version : The best of the 21st century

White of High
08 Sep 2011, 15:40
Meat Loaf's voice changed a lot after WTTN. The last official Best Of was published in 1998 with Kiss, No Matter What and Is Nothing Sacred. I was happy when I heard them because I noticed Meat's voice changed dramaticaly and the rockopera and orchestral style would have been perfect for him. After the Very Best Of I didn't get what I expected but I think Meat had a few good songs in the last 10 years. I would be happy if Hell In The Handbasket would be rockoperatic or great orchestral but I'm sure it won't be. Anyway, what do you think which Meat Loaf song in the last 10 years would be good enough on a Best Of album?

White of High
08 Sep 2011, 15:49
I've voted to CHSIB, Blind As A Bat, Land Of The Pigs and Song Of Madness. I would happy to vote to Seize The Night (because it's the strongest song of Jim in the last 15 years) but the arrangement and Meat's voice was weak...

melon
08 Sep 2011, 16:02
Song of madness, cos I'm mad.

2jaxx
08 Sep 2011, 16:35
I've voted to CHSIB, Blind As A Bat, Land Of The Pigs and Song Of Madness. I would happy to vote to Seize The Night (because it's the strongest song of Jim in the last 15 years) but the arrangement and Meat's voice was weak...

Why does no one like Seize The Night? I think his vocals are particularly strong on this song (e.g. the line "set your fantasy on fire" and the like.)
The arrangement is great in my opinion because it turns the operatic song into a rocker. The arrangement choices all make sense to me.
Even the "good girls" reprise fits. Just look at it as a hommage.

Blind As A Bat on the other hand is the opposite case. It is just edited to death. Why is the second verse so short and why is this song one single, endless chorus? The lyrics are just placative and weak.

Evil One
08 Sep 2011, 17:16
Why does no one like Seize The Night?
Because Desmond Child's arrangement sucks. Compare it to one of Jim's demos (I'm pretty sure there's one on Youtube somewhere) and see what could have been. :twisted:

2jaxx
08 Sep 2011, 17:31
I don't like the kyle gordon version very much. It is too operatic for my taste. Did you actually read my post?

Evil One
08 Sep 2011, 17:38
Did you actually read my post?No I just chose to reply without reading.:roll:

Irrespective of the operaticness :bleh:, Meat's version lacks the same sense of urgency and the less said about the boy soprano the better. :shock:

Also I would have used the riff from 'The Storm' instead of the GGGTH riff, although I may be alone in this thought.

Wario
08 Sep 2011, 19:00
Should have waited a few more weeks until Hand Basket

For me:

Couldn't Have Said It Better, Did I Say That?, Testify, LA, California Isn't Big Enough, Elvis In Vegas, and Blind As A Bat

tribrats
08 Sep 2011, 19:09
I voted for all of them plus other because I can't seem to be able to pick "the best" since I love them all.

Oh, and I absofrigginlutely LOVE Seize The Night.

unbekannt
08 Sep 2011, 19:17
CHSIB, Blind As A Bat, Song Of Madness.

I love Seize The Night, but not Meat's version. To me, the best arrangement is Carpe Noctem from Tanz der Vampire.

Sebastian.
08 Sep 2011, 19:26
CHSIB, DIST, BAAB, ITLOTPGTBIK, Monstro/Alive, PoE, Los Angeloser, SoM, and Elvis in Vegas.

2jaxx
08 Sep 2011, 19:48
No I just chose to reply without reading.:roll:

Irrespective of the operaticness :bleh:, Meat's version lacks the same sense of urgency and the less said about the boy soprano the better. :shock:

I actually liked the boy soprano.

Also I would have used the riff from 'The Storm' instead of the GGGTH riff, although I may be alone in this thought.

Would that sound good sped up? I am not so sure.

Sarge
08 Sep 2011, 20:08
CHSIB, Blind As A Bat, Song Of Madness.

That - plus Testify.

TheDoode
08 Sep 2011, 21:46
I went for CHSIB, DIST, Elvis in Vegas, Seize the Night, and What About Love. Surprised that Maddness has so many votes - personally I've never been that into that track. I prefer Land of the Pigs.

PanicLord
08 Sep 2011, 21:59
I voted for

CHSIB
DIST
BAAB
WAL
POE
LA
SOM
EIV and
other - If It Rains! Love that song.

duke knooby
09 Sep 2011, 00:39
why is this song one single, endless chorus? The lyrics are just placative and weak.

i agree... its a reasonable 3 min song, but they really took the piss dragging it out to the length they did... made it yet more boring repetitive james michael drivel :twisted:

Elijah's way
09 Sep 2011, 02:45
Blind As A Bat
Peace One Earth
Song Of Madness
Couldn't Have Said It Better
Man Of Steel
Did I Say That?

Other:
It's All Coming Back To Me
Cry Over Me
Monster Is Loose
Let's Be In Love
Did You Ever Love Somebody
Love Is Not Real
Prize Fight Lover
All Of Me

Adje
09 Sep 2011, 02:55
Wow that's pretty hard to do.

CHSIB
Did I Say That
Blind as a Bat
(to be honest that's it)

There's no HCTB song that makes it in my list but if I had to add one I guess it would be Los Angeloser. But only because that one has a videoclip and might be known by some people outside the fan base.
For that reason I'd also include IACBTMN (although just like Los Angeloser it doesn't deserve a "Best Of" place, imo)

Smithie
09 Sep 2011, 16:31
I would include CHSIB, DIST, BAAB, WAL, LOTO, POE. I'm sure there will be some HIAH songs to add to the list.