10 Jun 2009, 05:36
Medium rare, rare, or well-done?

i prefer Meat in the 1985 - 1988 form :D

RadioMaster
10 Jun 2009, 09:33
Id say 93 to 95, but that doesnt appear in your list lol

howlerformeatloaf
10 Jun 2009, 13:53
I'd have to say the 95 to 98 area. Love the long hair at that stage.

MeatGrl1
10 Jun 2009, 14:21
OK this has to be the most horrendous poll on the forum !!

Elijah's way
10 Jun 2009, 14:42
From 1967 to Present. :D

Sarge
10 Jun 2009, 14:53
1985 - 1996 and I hope I can add 2009 - ? one day. ;)

RadioMaster
10 Jun 2009, 15:18

why's that?

AndrewG
10 Jun 2009, 15:25
why's that?

Cuz it leaves out Meat Loaf's Johnny Depp period?? :?

mszee
10 Jun 2009, 18:12
What is perferred???

AndrewG
10 Jun 2009, 18:14
Don't know, maybe someone who pronounces the R a bit too often? Perhaps R. can shed some light on this... ;-)

Betty
10 Jun 2009, 20:24

Is it?
Itīs only another poll actually :shrug:
You donīt have to post or vote here as well as we donīt have to reply to your most recent Happy Birthday thread. Itīs as easy as that!

Back on topic, I canīt really name a time when I preferred him the most (do we talk about concerts, his voice on the records or generally? lol), his voice was amazing and powerful years ago but also during the tours from the last 2 years there were some brilliant performances...
Iīd say, ups and downs all the way thru

AndrewG
10 Jun 2009, 20:28
Iīd say, ups and downs all the way thru

Definitely agree with that. I heard him sing pretty well last year in Nottingham especially. I couldn't pick an exact time but I don't think it is wrong asking people for their opinions either.

WhenItComes2LovingU
10 Jun 2009, 21:37
Be warned: frank opinion ahead. I don't claim to take any sides in a debate about Meat Loaf's voice, this is merely my reporting of what I hear and my own personal opinion. If you don't like honesty about my personal opinion, then please skip my post and have a cookie content in having your own opinion unchallenged by my post.

I'd have to say that I actually like pretty much all the different aspects of Meat's voice through the years until it reaches about 2006/07 or so. That's right around where he started having serious trouble the likes of which we'd not heard since '78 or so, which I assume was due to the cyst.

Since the cyst popped, he just hasn't sounded right to me. At times he talks his way through a song, and I'm no judge because some of those notes are hard to hit, especially for someone his age, but when he does try to sing, it doesn't sound right, and reviewers have been pointing this out for a while during and since cyst time. It sounds unhealthy, and at times he starts to lose his sense of melody and go into this weird one-note sort of warbling that reminds me of Lou Reed or Bob Dylan mumbling their way through a song in such a way that the melody becomes unrecognizable. This is not to say that he's not still great given a little time off, but I think a little time off isn't enough if we want to have Meat in serviceable voice and ready to roll. Perhaps a qualified doctor should check to see if there is any residual effect left from this cyst, if only to explain this phenomena. I'm not a fan of Meat Loaf getting 0, 1, or 2-star reviews any more than you guys are, and if this would help, I'm in favor of it.

And if he's not willing to get it checked, I hope I'm not out of line in saying that he really should stick to the studio at this point, like it or not. Live, maybe it's different for you, but for me, showmanship doesn't always make up for the fact that you're supposed to be singing, and to me it's questionable as to whether or not he's actually been singing lately. He's one of my favorite performers, but I don't want to have to be in the position of one day going to a concert where I'm made to feel I should leave if I actually expect him to sing.

Sarge
10 Jun 2009, 23:12
Since the cyst popped, he just hasn't sounded right to me.

You mean he would have been better off with the cyst? ;)

I'm neither his doc nor an expert on vocal chord cysts, that's why I can't say anything about what actually caused his voice problems. In 2007, I noticed that he appeared pretty weary in general. He was often much too slow, totally lost track of the melody during some songs and did not seem to enjoy what he was doing. When I heard him in 2008, he obviously was in the mood to go on stage, sounded much better and even managed to impressively perform difficult songs he had botched a few months back. Don't know what's really causing the frequent ups and downs, I hope he'll sound fine on the next record and will do some good shows again. :-)

WhenItComes2LovingU
11 Jun 2009, 02:55
Okay, I admit I worded that badly. Let's try "Since the cyst came along and left a trail of destruction in its wake, he hasn't sounded the same."

RSG
11 Jun 2009, 03:16
I can't vote, Meat's voice has always been different many times through out his long term career.

MeatGrl1
11 Jun 2009, 03:21
I can't vote, Meat's voice has always been different many times through out his long term career.

Agreed :up:.

Sarge
11 Jun 2009, 04:29
Since the cyst came along and left a trail of destruction in its wake

Do we know for sure whether it really did?

There are many "old" singers whose voices have changed over the years (I just listened to Joni Mitchell, for example). He already sounded different on CHSIB. The guy has been on stage for about four decades. What he's done over the years is pretty hard work, it doesn't come as a surprise that his voice has suffered.

There is something I noticed at some recent Meat Loaf concerts. Whenever his voice was about to fail, he started screaming instead of singing which apparently seemed to cost a lot of strength. Furthermore, he tends to heavily hunch when singing which I think is not good. I wonder how someone can sing in such an exhausting posture at all. I suspect you can't sing well when you're tense, no matter whether a cyst is ailing you or not.

Evil One
11 Jun 2009, 05:41
There is something I noticed at some recent Meat Loaf concerts. Whenever his voice was about to fail, he started screaming instead of singing which apparently seemed to cost a lot of strength.
That's nothing new. He used to do that on the original Bat tour in 1978. That's how he ruined his voice the first time!