mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » Tyre Tracks & Broken Hearts

Old 29 Jan 2003, 21:41   #1
White of High
Nature's Siegfried

Default 48. Rock And Roll Dreams Come Through

This is the START OUT OF HELL & ARRIVE TO HEAVEN topic.
Let's Go to Rock 'n' Roll!!!!!!

Rock And Roll Dreams Come Through (9)

This is the most mysterious song by Jim Steinman! The live versions show us this side of this song.
The video is confused to me. I don't understand has the girl's story to do with Rock 'n' Roll Dreams? The mood is good but I don't understand. Could you help me what does it mean?
I think original Steinman's video is better. A typical dancing musical clip!

My score: 9

Average: 9.83+ (177/18 )
White of High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2003, 09:30   #2
Tim
The Butcher

Rock and Roll Dreams.........yes, a very, very nice, great, blow me away song!!

That lyrics, so mysterious but great. That video, ML as a gippy kind of person, that angel that came from the sky, beautifull!!

Live the song is even better, with that text of "There is one word....". So very true, or the other live version, with that Spanish guitar were it start with. Meat's voice is so superb on this song!

The song is to true, you must believe in things, if you don't do that, well, what have you got. Stop believing, hoping, and nothing will come through.

Also a 10+/10 !!!
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2003, 15:30   #3
Michel
Mega Loafer

The best lines of this song:

And when you really really need it the most
That's when Rock And Roll Dreams Come trough.

This song is a magic song. Steinman at his best. I hope Meat will perform this song when I'm visiting a show from Meat. Because this one of my favourites.

Great music, and mysterious lyrics.

Someone must have blessed us when he gave us this song!!

My score: 9
Michel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2003, 20:49   #4
Garrett
Super Loafer

10+/10

P.S. I also love the appearance of Angelina Jolie in the video!
Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2003, 09:40   #5
Anonymous
Guest Post Container

I love the song, too (though I actually prefer Jim's version). Where do you get the video of this song? Can you buy it somewhere or even better download it?
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2003, 13:00   #6
Tim
The Butcher

You can buy it on a tape, get it from the internet, visit our (michel and mine) site
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2003, 20:57   #7
MjP2
Rookie

Thanks, Tim! Nice video. Meat looks a bit stupid, though...

the obnoxious (now registered as MjP2)
MjP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2003, 23:43   #8
MeatBall
Loafer

10/10 no doubt a fabules song
MeatBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2003, 15:24   #9
The Flying Mouse
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.

A great triumphant song.
It's a song that says no matter what you might come up against,and no matter if the rest of the world let's you down,there is always one thing you can believe in.One thing you can always depend on.
If your feeling down or beaten,you listen to this and it's like having a pep talk from the man himself .
It's like a message from Meat.Believe in me,i'm never gonna let you down.I believe .
I think the video put's the message across brilliantly.
10/10 A gift from the gods.
The Flying Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2003, 04:47   #10
sherrie87
Mega Loafer

I know I'm dropping in a bit late here, sorry. I just finally saw this video yesterday, after bidding on the darn tape on Ebay for months. I'm a bit confused by the video, I have to say. This is one of my favorite ML songs, by far. Doesn't it really just scream out for a live performance video, rather than a "story" video? I get the Angelina Jolie bit, where she's run away from home, but what's up with the kid in the car and the guy who's TV explodes? And why was Meat a genie/gypsie? Maybe I don't have enough imagination, but to me the video just doesn't seem to fit the song.

Sherrie
sherrie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2003, 10:58   #11
White of High
Nature's Siegfried

Doesn't matter when you are writing here your opinion about this song. But wait the the video setion! I think some videos and the net will be it!
White of High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2003, 19:49   #12
Evan
Super Loafer

Rather then calling this song "Rock And Roll Dreams Come True" Steinman choose to substitute the word true with through for one valid reason which explains the point of the entire song. Rather then having rock and roll dreams come true for you, it's more important to have them come through. The girl in the song isn't gonna have any of her dreams come true, but they're gonna come through, meaning they're always gonna be there for her. It's much more important to just have the dreams and have the beat be your's forever! She'll always have a rock and roll dream to escape into. This is one of my all time favorite songs just because what kid doesn't actually dream of one day becoming a rock star and standing on the stage and having thousands of people chant your name. For all the times that you put on a Meat Loaf record and just completely escaped into it, this song is for you. I always think of this song as a form of structured alcholic relief, as you put it on and it takes away your sorrows for one night. I know that's a rather odd example but I just love this song.

10/10

Also, Rory Dodd's version on "Bad For Good" is very good as well but no where as good as Meat's.

Rory Dodd's Version
8/10
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2003, 00:53   #13
sherrie87
Mega Loafer

Evan said:
Quote:
Rather then having rock and roll dreams come true for you, it's more important to have them come through
Kind of like the Rolling Stones "you can't always get what you want/but if you try some time/you just might find/you get what you need". Is that sort of what you mean?

Sherrie
sherrie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2003, 10:55   #14
dottie
queen post- whore extraordinaire

Love this song 10/10

Remember where I was first time I heard it, driving around Clapham,looking for cafe under the arches.

Rock and Rolls Dreams do come through if you have enough faith
dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2003, 22:44   #15
Bren
The Bat

Love this song, been listening to it today
This was the song that got me really into Meat Loaf's music
Beautiful song
10/10
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Aug 2003, 22:21   #16
original sin
Sinner

10/10
Evan I thought your summary hit it just right. To me it's a mix of hope and something to hang on to. A bit simpler I know but the same essence
original sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2003, 00:42   #17
Wild_Honey
Super Loafer

I love it. 10/10
Wild_Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2003, 02:36   #18
Sue K
Mega Loafer

... i remember exactly where i was and what i was doing when i first hear this song... i was in the building where i pick up my newspapers to deliver..had my walkman on...with the BOOH 2 in...and when Meat got to the lines...

"You've been through the fires of hell And I know you've got the ashes to prove it...

and...

"You've been through a lot of pain in the dirt..And I know you've got the scars to prove it..."..

i was won immediately over to the song..it made me think of my ex-husband...the abuse i had allowed him to put me through both mentally and physically...and..lol..yasss...i felt Meat was singing jimmy's words...to ME...lol...

the balance of the words...the music...flowed through me like a soothing .magical potion..and i was literally brought to tears...

10/10

tink..XO

tink...XO
Sue K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2003, 01:09   #19
One Last Trip
Rookie

This is one of my favourite ML songs, great from the beginning to the end.

10/10
One Last Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2003, 04:38   #20
Vickip
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Last Trip
This is one of my favourite ML songs, great from the beginning to the end.

10/10
I agree ... it's my favorite song from Bat II, and absolutely wonderful from the beginning to the end. And as much as I enjoy listening to it on the CD, I just can't describe how amazing it is to see Meat sing it live ..... the starlit background and the level of emotion he brings to the song is absolutely breathtaking.

10/10 --- CD
20/10 (if that's possible) -- Live

Vicki
Vickip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2003, 13:33   #21
Crystal Eyes
Super Loafer

I always put this song on when I'm feeling scared or down. I turn up the volume and sing with Meat. And I always feel better after. It's a beautiful, inspirational song with great lyrics, great vocals and great tune.

Definetly 10/10
Crystal Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2003, 06:25   #22
shadow1000001
Mega Loafer

I absolutely love it!!
10/10
shadow1000001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2003, 20:08   #23
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

I love this song.

If you've seen the VH1 Storytellers dvd / video, you'll know that he swapped it for something else with someone else... Anyone know who or what? :)

Anyway, the lyrics are inspirational, the tune is great, and I just can't help singing along.

Especially at the end...

That's when Rock'n'Roll dreams come through... aah... or youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

9/10!
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2003, 20:28   #24
evil nickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2003
If you've seen the VH1 Storytellers dvd / video, you'll know that he swapped it for something else with someone else... Anyone know who or what? :)
When Meat was recording the Dead Ringer album in '81, Jim Steinman was also busy recording Bad For Good. Meat traded RN'R Dreams for I'll Kill You... and Dead Ringer, or so I've read recently...
evil nickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2003, 20:43   #25
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

I never knew they recorded them at the same time!

That's interesting though - I think Meat is a better singer all round than Jim (although Dance In My Pants is his best effort!). Talking about DIMP, how about having Bat3 as a double album (seeing as it's Meat's last, allegedly) - 1 CD of brand new Jimmania, and 1 album of songs that Meat should have sung by now - e.g. DIMP, All Coming Back To Me Now, Total Eclipse etc.
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote