mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » Tyre Tracks & Broken Hearts

Old 13 Aug 2002, 00:15   #1
White of High
Nature's Siegfried

Default 5. Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad

Sorry, in Hungary we had got a little problem with Internet... I try to continue.

This is the START OUT OF HELL & ARRIVE TO HEAVEN topic. Let's Go to Rock 'n' Roll!!!!!!!

Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad (6)

This song doesn't arouse consideable feeling inside. It's too kind to me. It doesn't take after Heaven Can Wait or For Crying Out Loud. Where is the real and famous Steinman-power? The music very good, if you are listening with a girl on beach, but don't follow it with deep attention.

My score: 6

Average: 8.89 (124.5/14) [07/08/05]

Last edited by White of High; 07 Aug 2005 at 18:09.
White of High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2002, 10:05   #2
Tim
The Butcher

Two out of three is a beautifull song. You think that it's to sweet. Man, it's great. The feeling that i get by this song.....

Don't give it a 6, you underestimate the power of this song. It's at least worth a 9.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2002, 16:16   #3
The Flying Mouse
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.

Two Out Of Three is such an emotional song,that if it wasn't such an anthem it would be depressing as hell.
The amount of heartbreake Meat puts into this song shows just how versitille he is.When he sings that line"I'll never be able,to give you something,something that i just havn't got",it's like the world could end.
I love singing this song at work because I really let myself go on it,and the reaction it gets is great.
Two Out Of Three by name.
Ten Out Of Ten by nature.

P.S.The version on Meat Loaf Live (Wemberley 1987 on the Arista label) is unbelievable.Meat really pushes the boat out on the high notes.
The Flying Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2002, 18:20   #4
Michel
Mega Loafer

This is just a great song. It has everything in it. A great intro, a typical Steinman intro. I give it a 8/9, I can't choose.

I have three different versions of the Bat II tour, and they are all great. The solo in the song, and the high note at the end.
That are great Live versions. Now he doesn't the high note at the end anymore.
Michel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2002, 18:39   #5
Meatles
Super Loafer

Location: Toronto, Ontario (born and raised in London England)

Two Out Of Three is a great song! it has the Steinman style, a depressing
song with underlying humor.

1. I want you
2. I need yo
3. But there aint no way I am ever gonna love you

so that means the character in the song can only provide 2 out of the 3
characteristics of a good relationship. Now if anyone reads the lyrics, they would know that it took a lot of thought to write it!

Also Meat always gives his best on this song, my favourite version (vocally) of this song is on the Cleveland Music Hall recording from 1978.
Meatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2002, 03:13   #6
Jaymze
Super Loafer

I think if Steinman had been a poet his songs would have went down in history- really people should sit back and read them they really are quite complicated and are full of double meanings. I mean if he'd used his songs as poetry he'd be up there with Shakespeare, Milton and Poe.
Jaymze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2002, 05:00   #7
Meatles
Super Loafer

Location: Toronto, Ontario (born and raised in London England)

Oh Yes!!!! You are so right about the poet theory. I think Steinman would be a mix between Shakespere and Edgar Allan Poe!
Meatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2002, 22:17   #8
ChoccyBat
Yorkie

This song is just awesome - the intro, like so many of Steinmans - is so simple yet so powerful. The acoustic version he often does now is very good, but I prefer the full-on powerful version.
ChoccyBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2002, 03:06   #9
Jaymze
Super Loafer

I think you're right Meatles about the Shaespere and Poe thing, actually The Raven does sound a lot like something Steinman would write.
Jaymze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2002, 20:07   #10
The Flying Mouse

Couldn't agree more,Jim is a great poet.
The poems Nocturnal Pleasure'Wasted Youth and the intro to Took The Words are fantastic.
I think it was a very brave move to put poetry on a heavy rock album(it's not exactly an obvious combination) but trust Jim Steinman to not only do it,but to make it work so well.
I'm not that hot on Shakespere(although I would have liked to see Meat's performance),but I do like Edgar Allan Poe.
Old 19 Aug 2002, 19:38   #11
Premacy
Rookie

The emotional value of 2 out of 3 is great. It really got me. The first time i'd heard it I was allready very pleased with it, but after hearing more often it more and more got me more and it still does every time i hear it.

And for Shakespear?? I think that he could really lurn form Jim at some parts.
Premacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2002, 19:40   #12
Premacy
Rookie

The emotional value of 2 out of 3 is great. It really got me. The first time i'd heard it I was allready very pleased with it, but after hearing more often it more and more got me more and it still does every time i hear it.

And for Shakespear... I think that he could really lurn form Jim at some parts....
Old 19 Aug 2002, 19:41   #13
Premacy
Rookie

And for Shakespear... I think that he could really lurn form Jim at some parts....
Old 19 Aug 2002, 19:47   #14
Premacy
Rookie

sorry for the many replys, but my computer did a little wierd so excuses for my many replys....

premacy
Old 26 Aug 2002, 09:30   #15
heat
Rampant Loafer...

For me, the best time to listen to 2 out of 3 is when i've had an argument with the hubbs, i can get right into the song, and it always makes me bawl and i realise just how lucky (??) i am to have hubbs. That song has saved our relationship more than once... .
I think it's definately the combination of steinmans fantastic lyrics and Meat's performance that makes this such a great song, and as for the shakespere comparison....shakespere who??????? 8/10 for me.

Heat
xxx
heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2002, 09:30   #16
heat
Rampant Loafer...

For me, the best time to listen to 2 out of 3 is when i've had an argument with the hubbs, i can get right into the song, and it always makes me bawl and i realise just how lucky (??) i am to have hubbs. That song has saved our relationship more than once... .
I think it's definately the combination of steinmans fantastic lyrics and Meat's performance that makes this such a great song, and as for the shakespere comparison....shakespere who??????? 8/10 for me.

Heat
xxx
Old 26 Aug 2002, 09:31   #17
heat
Rampant Loafer...

Heat
xxx
Old 26 Aug 2002, 09:33   #18
heat
Rampant Loafer...

sorry bout thoses extra posts....methinks puters bout to have a nervous breakdown......perhaps it needs therapy....

Heat
xxx
Old 11 Dec 2002, 22:43   #19
White of High
Nature's Siegfried

Anybody's listened this song by Bonnie Tyler?
Hey, Bonnie! What did you do?
It's terrible! 8 and half minutes horible!
Maybe just my ear is not used to techno, but it's aaaaaah!

This version's score: 2
White of High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Feb 2003, 13:19   #20
Bart
Bald Mega Loafer

Does anybody knows what he is saying before he starts singing 2 outta 3 on the Live at Wembley CD? I just cannot hear what he is saying and i have this cd already from the first day it came out (thursday, 26th oct '87). So if anybodyu knwos the answer, please reply.

This version of the song is the best i have ever heard. 9/10.
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2003, 18:46   #21
dottie
queen post- whore extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart
Does anybody knows what he is saying before he starts singing 2 outta 3 on the Live at Wembley CD? I just cannot hear what he is saying and i have this cd already from the first day it came out (thursday, 26th oct '87). So if anybodyu knwos the answer, please reply.

This version of the song is the best i have ever heard. 9/10.
Sounds like" Thank you Tommy Hall" - just found this - having a wander
dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2003, 18:49   #22
dottie

Default Two out of Three

This is mine and my hubbies song - no one is allowed to dance with when this is played - I have requested this so many times atdances, discos, functions etc., still take my own copy with me in case they do not have it.
I RATE TWO OF THREE 10/10 THE PERFECT RECORD
Old 07 Apr 2003, 23:05   #23
Bart
Bald Mega Loafer

Thank you Dottie-girl, but why is he saying that? (by the way it was a monday, 26 oct 87).
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2003, 00:35   #24
The Flying Mouse

Hi Bart.
It says on the album that it was recorded at Wembley Stadium 1 and 2 March 1987.
Old 08 Apr 2003, 11:50   #25
dottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart
Thank you Dottie-girl, but why is he saying that? (by the way it was a monday, 26 oct 87).
Lord knows! I do not know if I am correct even - I was there- but still none the wiser