mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » Tyre Tracks & Broken Hearts

Old 17 May 2012, 17:36   #1
White of High
Nature's Siegfried

Default 119. Another Day

This is the START OUT OF HELL & ARRIVE TO HEAVEN topic.
Let's Go to Rock 'n' Roll!!!!!!!

Another Day (5)

Everybody is in a state of swoon because of the lyrics of HIAHB. I'm not, and I think Another Day is more than simple. The melody sounds forced to me and the tempo of vocal is bad. The only good thing in this song is Meat's vocal. He is far from good but this tone is okay for him. Very average song!

My score: 5
White of High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2012, 17:54   #2
MarkS
Super Loafer

This song does nothing for me. Don't love it, don't hate it, middle of the road for me.

5. The vocals just don't mesh well with me on this one

Last edited by AndyK; 17 May 2012 at 21:53.
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Dislike This Post.
Old 17 May 2012, 17:56   #3
Monstro
Promoted to Wario's spellchecker

The beauty of music is that a song means different things to different people and to me this one means a lot, really like the lyrics, vocal etc etc so it's a 9 for me
Monstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2012, 18:27   #4
DJLeen
Super Loafer

Well I love the song !!! So there...again... a well deserved 10 !!!!!! The song is brilliant and emotional, it's about a girl who suffers from depression and struggles to get through the day. And you hear Meat's emotion in his voice. That makes the song so strong and powerful !!!
DJLeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2012, 19:06   #5
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Dislike This Post.
Old 17 May 2012, 20:28   #6
CarylB
Mega Loafer

A haunting song with powerful lyrics about overwhelming sadness and the poignant necessity to simply carry on even when things seem hopeless, and the real anguish of watching this in someone else. Meat's delivery enhances the feelings of sorrow and despair. If there was one song that I think those who have lived through or experienced real and life-numbing tragedy or despair either themselves or with another, and has the power to touch and hold their souls, this is it. Beautifully crafted, sung and produced. 10

Caryl
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2012, 21:07   #7
BostonAngel
Super Loafer

It is my favorite song on the album. Love the melody - slow and haunting. Love the lyrics - I can undertand exactly what this song is about. It made me cry the first time I heard it and it still makes me feel that way. And I love the Meat's vocals on it. it doesn't showcase his huge powerful. it is slower and more understated, which given the meaning of the song, for me, is exactly what is called for. I usually don't care for rating songs. Since I love this one so much, I want to give it a 12.
BostonAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
8 Users Like This Post.
Old 17 May 2012, 21:32   #8
Meat Loaf_fan
Super Loafer

Definitely the best song on the album. I love it! So you won't be surprised when you see my score (below). This track is so powerful (although is not poweful ballad) and has so strong meaning that blown me away from the moment I heard it first time.

Quote:
For me I think the hardest part
Is just watching while she falls apart
I try but we both know it's true
There ain't a damn thing I can do
I sometimes cry, but also I know that sometimes it's true.

My score: 10/10
Meat Loaf_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
7 Users Like This Post.
Old 17 May 2012, 21:46   #9
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Yes. I think what makes this such a powerful track for me, and why it fits with the over all theme of HIAH, is that it is not delivered by the person suffering. This is not someone telling others of their enduring sadness and sense of hopelessness, but a compassionate observer who sees someone quietly and privately embracing their pain, yet also the accepting that the next day must inevitably be faced, because that's what we have to do.

Caryl
5 Users Like This Post.
Old 17 May 2012, 21:54   #10
AndyK
Relentless

Off topic posts which could potentially lead to more pointless arguing deleted, please stay on topic.
AndyK is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 18 May 2012, 00:05   #11
Paul Richardson
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarylB View Post
Beautifully crafted, sung and produced. 10
Just interested why this is a 10. If it's a 10 where does this leave the classics ? 30 ? 50 ? Just don't believe this is remotely close to the best track Meat has ever done - if you start at 10 - where does it end ?

And ... I know you will say this is your opinion - but even you must think some of Meat's output is flawed ? In such a long career of enormous highs and enormous lows - and its the highs and lows which make him a unique and such an interesting artist - some songs have the mark of genius others are just rubbish and this - frankly - is one of them ... ?
Paul Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
7 Users Dislike This Post.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 18 May 2012, 00:08   #12
Adje
trying to be realistic

This song has lost it's power the more I listen to it. When I first heard it I liked it better then I do now. Still above average score
Adje is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Dislikes This Post.
Old 18 May 2012, 00:48   #13
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Richardson View Post
Just interested why this is a 10. If it's a 10 where does this leave the classics ? 30 ? 50 ? Just don't believe this is remotely close to the best track Meat has ever done - if you start at 10 - where does it end ?
Paul, you can roll your eyes at my views as often and as much as you want, but I have already explained my reasoning when rating songs on another thread. I will, however, recap. I don't compare songs to others, nor to whatever you include as "the classics". I rate them on their own merits, and if they are, TO ME, in no need of any change or improvement I rate them 10, because I use all the numbers on any rating scale, and if 10 is appropriate in my view, that's what I use. Just as I would rate ANY piece of work, on its merits and NOT in comparison to others. This is not a thread asking where does this song rate against every other damn song Meat has ever recorded.

Quote:
And ... I know you will say this is your opinion -
Yes it is. And I don't comment and question others' ratings, not even those that simply and dismissively say "3" or some other low number. Nor do I just post "10". I explain why I love this song and consider it perfect. I have also said that I rate this album a resounding 10+ .. and that's because I rate all the tracks brilliant and in no need of alteration or improvement.

Quote:
but even you must think some of Meat's output is flawed ? In such a long career of enormous highs and enormous lows - and its the highs and lows which make him a unique and such an interesting artist - some songs have the mark of genius others are just rubbish and this - frankly - is one of them ... ?
IN YOUR VIEW. I have explained why in my view the song is great. Twice.

I have no intention of challenging your view that it is "rubbish", nor requesting you to justufy that view. I disagree, and would pass it by, simply posting my view. Why you seem to have some need to question my views (for this is not the first occasion by any means) I do not know. At least 3 others have rated it highly .. a 9, a 10, and a 12. They clearly do not consider it rubbish, yet you challenge my rating.

I consider it to be an outstanding song. I have never heard a song capture so perfectly what I felt for a long time after my child died. I have also said that what makes it stand out for me is that it is from a compassionate observer, watching the despair but also the commitment to face yet another day. It is not the person who feels the pain and the despair going on about how desperate they feel. It is the on-looker who sees the grief and pain felt privately and quietly, and who despite that knows they will carry on and face the day that will follow, and each day after that. That is different approach to so many songs about feelings of loss or despair, and in my view makes the song even stronger for it.

Paul, you have previously implied I am mad to rate Meat's current work as highly as I do, and that I consider it as great as BOOH, Bat2 etc. Meat's current work calls to me and touches my soul far more than BOOH, however much I still enjoy listening to those early songs. If you are unimpressed with my ratings of songs and my reasoning for them I can only suggest you simply ignore me and challenge others. I always say why I like any piece of Meat's work, so if I shock you I suggest you simply don't take any note of my posts and preserve your heart muscles.

Caryl

ps Thanks Ninia for liking what I wrote It's gone now because I edited it

Last edited by CarylB; 18 May 2012 at 01:07.
5 Users Like This Post.
Old 18 May 2012, 05:02   #14
Elijah's way
Soul Auctioneer

I love this song!!! It's most definitely the best song on the album and it is very powerful. 10/10 More please.
Elijah's way is offline   Reply With Quote
7 Users Like This Post.
Old 18 May 2012, 07:57   #15
RSG
Mega Loafer

Sounds like Meat really cares about this girl enough to put it on an album about her.
RSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2012, 10:09   #16
Mr. Happy

To me, this is unquestionably the weakest song Meat has released since Special Girl, and I agree with everything White of High said. It sounds so, so forced. 3/10.

Last edited by Mr. Happy; 18 May 2012 at 10:36.
Mr. Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2012, 10:09   #17
Monstro
Promoted to Wario's spellchecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyK View Post
Off topic posts which could potentially lead to more pointless arguing deleted, please stay on topic.
Please see above, if you have issues with an answered question please take it to PM and not clutter the thread with off topic bickering
Monstro is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 18 May 2012, 11:10   #18
JennaG
Mega Loafer

I never give songs a numerical rating because I feel that that they don't allow for the fact that feelings about a song from day to day but if I was into rathing songs this as well as most of the songs on Hell In A Handbasket would get a 10 from me because I enjoy listening to them. I, like Caryl will rate them as individual contributions rather than put them up against any other and if it means I'd end up giving a lot of 10's then so be it.

Another Day wasn't a song that really stood out on the first few plays of the album but was one that I grew to really like the more I played it. As someone already said, it's not often you get a song about an onlooker's perception of the despair that someone else is going through.
JennaG is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Like This Post.
Old 18 May 2012, 13:36   #19
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Happy View Post
To me, this is unquestionably the weakest song Meat has released since Special Girl, and I agree with everything White of High said. It sounds so, so forced. 3/10.

I just listened to it again and and it still fails to stick in my memory. Some people think it's the best song on the album, with great lyrics and a lot of emotion, that's okay, but Another Day leaves me totally indifferent. Maybe the lyrics are indeed not bad but that's insignificant to me because the vocals as well as the music don't grab my attention at all.

Last edited by AndyK; 20 May 2012 at 12:04. Reason: moderation decision discussion removed
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Dislike This Post.
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 18 May 2012, 14:12   #20
allrevvedup
"Most things that i worry about, never happen anyway"

The song doesn't do much for me, 4
allrevvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2012, 14:52   #21
White of High
Nature's Siegfried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
My original post was removed by the mods although it was neither off topic nor violating forum rules.
Few moderators don't understand metaphora. If you say you don't remember the tune of the song means it's not your cup of tea, because it's average, nothing special.

I could not sing a line from Special Girl because that song is boring as hell and no words I remember. The same with Another Day and most of the songs of HIAHB. I have listened the album 20 times and I remember the melody of Live Or Die only.

Last edited by White of High; 18 May 2012 at 15:01.
White of High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2012, 17:08   #22
LisaT
Super Loafer

I'm with all those giving this one a 10! This became my favourite song on the album the first time I heard it and it still is. It's one of those songs that gives me butterflies in the stomach every time I listen to it. I can really relate to the lyrics and I absolutely love the melody and Meat's vocals. It's right up there with '2 Out Of 3' and 'For Crying Out Loud for me.' But then, I always have been a sucker for Meat's ballads!
LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 18 May 2012, 21:15   #23
glamourgirl
Super Loafer

This song makes me cry every time. A really heartfelt performance from Meat. I give it a 9.
glamourgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 19 May 2012, 16:06   #24
chairboys
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by White of High View Post
I have listened the album 20 times and I remember the melody of Live Or Die only.
One song per 20 plays? Another 220 listens and you'll have the album nailed.
chairboys is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 20 May 2012, 10:23   #25
robgomm
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by White of High View Post
The same with Another Day and most of the songs of HIAHB. I have listened the album 20 times and I remember the melody of Live Or Die only.
Perhaps more fish in your diet? I have heard it helps improve memory.
robgomm is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.