mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » Tyre Tracks & Broken Hearts

Old 27 Sep 2010, 10:45   #1
White of High
Nature's Siegfried

Default 103. Love Is Not Real (Next Time You Stab Me In The Back)

This is the START OUT OF HELL & ARRIVE TO HEAVEN topic.
Let's Go to Rock 'n' Roll!!!!!!!

Love Is Not Real (Next Time You Stab Me In The Back) (8)

After Song Of Madness this song is the only one from Meat's real theatrical style. May I like only Steve Vai guitars? :) So, the start of the song is okay but nothing special. The "Stab Me In Back" part is perfect, the slow part in the middle could be better. I like the changes in the song. I hate that they've cleaned and pushed up Meat's voice. Because of it I think Meat will never perform it on concert. I miss a heavy chorus. Not a very best of song, but one of the best on the album.

My score: 8

Last edited by White of High; 27 Sep 2010 at 16:01.
White of High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2010, 17:32   #2
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2010, 22:16   #3
Elijah's way
Soul Auctioneer

9/10

Last edited by Elijah's way; 27 Sep 2010 at 22:33.
Elijah's way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2010, 22:22   #4
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

8.5. Really like this one turned up nice and loud. Great guitars and drums, nice rock tune, and interesting changes throughout the song. Meat sings it superbly too.
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2010, 22:46   #5
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicLord View Post
Really like this one turned up nice and loud
if thats the case you're gonna go deaf.
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2010, 22:52   #6
suzieq
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarioLoaf View Post
I wonder if there are any vids of someone signing Meat Loaf songs for the hearing impaired. Because I think I'm going to be in the same boat with PanicLord.

The song is a 9.5 for me!

Edit: You tube has everything, I just found a few.

Last edited by suzieq; 27 Sep 2010 at 22:57.
suzieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2010, 22:54   #7
Steve6
Batman

Changing the pitch of his voice quiet simply ruined it for me. It doesn't sound like Meat at all. Yeah the guitar work is outstanding, but playing with the vocals like that is all wrong.

I'd give it about 4 out of 10
Steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2010, 04:11   #8
Mr. Happy

It's ok. I guess. Not one of Meat's better songs, but far from his worst, too. 6
Mr. Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2010, 10:15   #9
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieq View Post
I wonder if there are any vids of someone signing Meat Loaf songs for the hearing impaired. Because I think I'm going to be in the same boat with PanicLord.

The song is a 9.5 for me!

Edit: You tube has everything, I just found a few.
Awesome idea - a ROCK boat!

Quote:
Ah, well, never mind. I've already gone blind, although for very different reasons

Failing to eat enough carrots, in case you were wondering.

By the way, how do we know Meat's voice is altered?
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2010, 11:07   #10
Lee B
Senior Loafer

Excellent "!must play extremely loud" tune. Love it. 8.5 out of 10
Lee B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2010, 13:55   #11
robgomm
Mega Loafer

I think it's great, one of my faves, love the changtes in it, love the music. Either an 8 or a 9. I'll go for a 9.
robgomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2010, 21:29   #12
Steingirl
Super Loafer

Steingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2010, 21:31   #13
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

One of the worst Meat Loaf songs I've ever heard. Only interesting part is the riff but it turns into a huge mess later on. On par with Like a Rose imo, so a 2 from me.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2010, 21:44   #14
Sarge
Mega Loafer

I really like the song, except for the spoken part and the fact that it sounds a bit incoherent and unfinished to me, it appears like two or three different songs cobbled together at times.

8 (would give it a 10 if it was composed a little more like a Queen song)
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2010, 02:13   #15
melon
Long Distance Loafer

Quote:
Then Me too I give it a 9, and play it loud
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2010, 18:41   #16
ZodiacManzo
Rookie

where are the so-called manipulated vocals every keeps ranting about?
ZodiacManzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2010, 21:26   #17
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Not in my world :)

Love this track with Meat's voice laden with hurt and bitter regret, backed up by the heavy guitars. It conveys so well that angry sense of loss, confusion and futility when a love that was so important has finally been lost, and the feeling that love is impossible to hold and keep .. Imo the changes in tempo and direction serve brilliantly to emphasise the confusion and desperation, the conflict between the polar opposites of love and hate ..

Another 10 from me .. as I rate all the tracks on HCTB, because for me it is a perfect album. I can not fault any track, each has its place and contributes to the journey it takles me on every time, and each one I love.

Caryl
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2010, 21:32   #18
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarylB View Post
Another 10 from me .. as I rate all the tracks on HCTB, because for me it is a perfect album. I can not fault any track, each has its place and contributes to the journey it takles me on every time, and each one I love.

Caryl
Somewhat off topic and hypothetical but if this time next year Meat revealed that he actually thought this album was pretty shit, would that change your opinion of it?
Old 30 Sep 2010, 21:35   #19
AndrewG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
Somewhat off topic and hypothetical but if this time next year Meat revealed that he actually thought this album was pretty shit, would that change your opinion of it?
I don't know if Meat would change his mind but I definitely don't believe the thing he said about only listening to Bat 3 a few times and HCTB constantly. He came on the board here when Bat 3 was finished but not released yet and said that some of the songs on Bat 3 made him cry when he would listen. I can actually understand that as I think parts of Bat 3 are majestic and great and a very decent non Steinman album attempt (unlike HCTB imo).
Old 30 Sep 2010, 21:38   #20
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I don't know if Meat would change his mind but I definitely don't believe the thing he said about only listening to Bat 3 a few times and HCTB constantly. He came on the board here when Bat 3 was finished but not released yet and said that some of the songs on Bat 3 made him cry when he would listen. I can actually understand that as I think parts of Bat 3 are majestic and great and a very decent non Steinman album attempt (unlike HCTB imo).
Some of the songs on Bat 3 make me cry if I listen to them!
Old 30 Sep 2010, 22:06   #21
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
Not in the slightest; why on earth would it? Unless you're suggesting I only say I love it because Meat does? That would be foolish and demeaning.

I loved Bat3, still do. The fact that Meat has said he was unhappy about the process makes me sad for him, but it doesn't stop me enjoying listening to the album. I don't think he likes Alive .. but doesn't stop me from thinking it sums up Meat's journey and indefatigible drive, and I adore it. Blind As A Bat is wonderful song, which never fails to move me.

I fell totally in love with HCTB when I first heard it in London. I love the sound .. guitar heavy rock beats piano heavy rock hands down for me. I simply adore Meat's vocals, and the live in concert feel of it (the first thing I said to Meat after that one listening), and to me the storyline is strong, and each track takes me through it. The storyline is more one of an emotional journey for me .. but that's OK .. Meat always says we should find our own meaning to his songs.

I doubt he will ever say he didn't enjoy the process .. we watched it and he loved it. I doubt he will ever say he doesn't like it .. I think it's crystal clear he loves it. But my view that it's his masterpiece was formed as I listened to it for the first time, spellbound in my chair; was re-inforced when I finally got the record, and won't change .. although I hope he produces another masterpiece No reason why he can't have more than one

It does not appeal to some .. to me it does, perfectly. I wasn't looking for poetry, for Steinman, for bombastic Wagnerian rock. I was looking for Meat .. and in HCTB I got him, his own creative brand of rock and roll, his musical soul on a plate .. Love it, love every track, and that won't change.

Caryl
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2010, 22:10   #22
AndrewG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarylB View Post
I loved Bat3, still do. The fact that Meat has said he was unhappy about the process makes me sad for him, but it doesn't stop me enjoying listening to the album. I don't think he likes Alive .. but doesn't stop me from thinking it sums up Meat's journey and indefatigible drive, and I adore it. Blind As A Bat is wonderful song, which never fails to move me.
I agree 100%. A shame it was an unhappy process for Meat, but what about these songs though?! Two of the best songs I've ever heard. Simply genius
Old 30 Sep 2010, 22:32   #23
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I agree 100%. A shame it was an unhappy process for Meat, but what about these songs though?! Two of the best songs I've ever heard. Simply genius
Alive and BAAB are great great great songs. But think they just arent "Bat Out Of Hell" songs.
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2010, 22:34   #24
AndrewG

Quote:
Alive and BAAB are great great great songs. But think they just arent "Bat Out Of Hell" songs.
I think they sound more like Bat out of Hell songs than most of the Jim Steinman stuff on Bat 3!
Old 30 Sep 2010, 22:43   #25
snider22

10/10

My second favorite song on the album. Especially love the "Next time you stab me in the back" portion.
snider22 is offline   Reply With Quote