mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 16 Sep 2021, 21:10   #1
nightinr
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 04.09.2011
Posts: 315
Default Terrible tickets sale for Bat out of Hell musical

Just looking at ticket sales and it isn't looking good at all.

Some of the midweek dates next week appear to have only sold just over a hundred tickets

A combination of rip off tickets, Covid "fear factor" and lmited appeal for Meat Loaf music?
nightinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2021, 08:27   #2
FrancineCyclesTheUS
Junior Loafer
 
Join Date: 15.07.2015
Location:  
Posts: 31
Default

I can only talk for myself..

For several reasons, I won't get vaccinated.
And I don't want to be tested all the time.
I won't wear masks in a theatre, because with them on I can't breathe properly.

This is why I am not over there rocking with the BOOH crew.
FrancineCyclesTheUS is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Like This Post.
Old 17 Sep 2021, 11:22   #3
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 19.10.2015
Location: UK
Posts: 606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightinr View Post
Just looking at ticket sales and it isn't looking good at all.

Some of the midweek dates next week appear to have only sold just over a hundred tickets

A combination of rip off tickets, Covid "fear factor" and lmited appeal for Meat Loaf music?
I would cast my eye towards another two elements which contribute to the above:

1. The talent.

2. The Script (and 'adjusted' genre).
ThatWriterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2021, 16:51   #4
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 12.09.2016
Location: In front of a computer, duh.
Posts: 358
Default

I dunno, I kinda thought Zahara and Jagwire sounded better than the original lot...
letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2021, 17:48   #5
nightinr
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 04.09.2011
Posts: 315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWriterGuy View Post
I would cast my eye towards another two elements which contribute to the above:

1. The talent.

2. The Script (and 'adjusted' genre).
Good to get your view on this...

Do you think the script has been dumbed down?
nightinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2021, 18:31   #6
amethyst
I know that i'll be bad for good.
 
Join Date: 15.11.2003
Location:  South UK
Posts: 887
Default

Can't say i'm that surprised. I had my rescheduled tickets for the front row in Oxford on 9th October re-rescheduled to the next week for row M .... a) I couldn't make that date and b) no way was I moving from front row to row M!! Their loss.
amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2021, 20:23   #7
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 19.10.2015
Location: UK
Posts: 606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightinr View Post
Good to get your view on this...

Do you think the script has been dumbed down?
Having spent three years working on it, trust me when I say - yes, it has. Enormously. Mercilessly.

"More songs, less dialogue."

More to say on this at a later date.

Last edited by ThatWriterGuy; 17 Sep 2021 at 20:42.
ThatWriterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2021, 22:38   #8
nightinr
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 04.09.2011
Posts: 315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWriterGuy View Post
Having spent three years working on it, trust me when I say - yes, it has. Enormously. Mercilessly.

"More songs, less dialogue."

Would love a couple of episodes of the Kitchen Sink on the musical and Steinman

More to say on this at a later date.
nightinr is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 17 Sep 2021, 23:57   #9
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 19.10.2015
Location: UK
Posts: 606
Default

It's coming.
ThatWriterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2021, 15:57   #10
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!
 
Join Date: 18.01.2004
Location:  Northamptonshire
Posts: 6,996
Default

On The Bat out of Hell Show
I see what you mean. Even for tonight (Saturday!) most of the gallery seems available. But it's a large theatre in Manchester, no?

I've not seen the show so I can't really judge it but I will probably catch it when it comes to Milton Keynes next year (IF it still comes with Covid probably still around and possibly kicking up more fuss etc).

It looks song heavy from the outset so I really don't know how that can flow as a story and the fantasy setting (from what I can gather) I'm not so sure about. But to be fair something like Wicked I thoroughly enjoyed too so maybe that factor is ok. For me I've just often never really enjoyed anyone else other than Meat Loaf singing most of these songs. I actually didn't enjoy Meat Loaf singing All Coming Back so it works both ways in fact. So I'm not sure how that is all going to work for me. Will see. I will give it a chance.

But I always thought it was going to be a bit of a hard sell long term and surprised at its initial success. Whistle Down The Wind had the same problem perhaps. I enjoyed seeing it but never thought it was something I had to see again (have seen Les Mis almost 10 times btw and several other shows at least twice Chicago, Lion King, Evita, Phantom etc etc).
I honestly think it is possible for Jim Steinman to just have been the best song writer in the world but perhaps not the best musical creator. That's my view at the moment anyway.
In comparison I just think the creators of Les Mis did something with music and drama I've not really been able to see done that well elsewhere but some things have come close. Certainly not Whistle Down The Wind however.

Unrelated
I saw Back To The Future The Musical two weeks ago and I truly thought it was the best show after Les Mis (I rate that a 10 and BTTF a 9.5). Really funny, great new songs (plus the existing ones), amazing effects and a superb cast. I'd recommend checking it out if you like the movie.
The flow of the musical seems perfect. I can't really understand how some things are actually done. It's quite overwhelming upon first viewing.
I was actually about as sceptical about the BTTF musical as I now am about Bat out of Hell. Didn't bother with the initial Manchester run of BTTF either but maybe that's also a good thing as I've heard it has been trimmed down a bit.
Never thought the movie would lend itself so well to something on stage.
Some of the best entertainment I've seen I would have to say.

Ironically the star of the BTTF show caught Covid last week so is out. I was actually going to see my second viewing of the show tonight but it has been cancelled as apparently some of the rest of the cast is ill with something else.
Not a good time to be running shows of any type I think. But the London ones do seem quite resilient at the moment and seem to be doing well.

On Covid vaccines, passports, tests & shows:
Only have to show the (free for now at least) later flow test result text message on entry for shows in the UK btw. It's not a big deal for me whilst that is possible.
But it won't surprise me if they eventually mandate vaccination.
I disagree with that for sure. Nena cancelled her entire tour I saw yesterday because of the passport thing in Germany.

In The Netherlands it's unclear. The government wants to implement it but most of the country does not seem to give a shit. 6 months after they had an election in the country there is still no formed coalition in government. Why should anyone listen to any of these bozos who can't even agree on simpler things themselves?! Politicians I think have lost trust of citizens all over the west by also partly politicising Covid and the vaccinations.
Joe Biden last year "If the vaccine comes, are you going to take the shot? Are you? Who is going to be first in line?". Last week: "I'm tired with people who do not want to take the vaccination."
Ridiculous.

In the UK the rules are up, down and change like a jojo.
The fact that they want to vaccinate children, even after the JVCI not recommending it, and then say well we will only give them 1 jab because indeed there is heart inflammation risk did ring alarm bells with me over the entire vaccination roll out to be honest.
Another disturbing fact is that the supposedly medical professionals suggested "well it's not their health risk but means children won't have to isolate and miss school". Huh, so you are rolling out vaccination in children so that they don't have to follow your own made up rules. That's convenient, isn't it? Not in the slightest way strange?
Always thought it was only going to help those individuals at risk from the virus and never a way to control the virus at all. The virus so far has not given a damn about what most of the west has done it seems to me.
At first they said in the UK herd immunity will be achieved with 70% vaccination. That did not happen. Now it is 80% according to some sources (because supposedly of the Delta variant) even though other sources suggest 90% of Brits have Covid anti bodies. Nothing makes sense anymore. But I also don't think an average 20-30-40 and even 50 year old actually stands much risk from Covid. The figures do not suggest that at all in fact, it is still the elderly dying and mostly those who have had vaccines now as the risk is not gone completely. This is my opinion and not medical advice.
In the UK I think what happens over the winter will be key to determine what rules will be implemented and could stay with us.
Indeed I thus think mandatory vaccination could come within a few months.

But I can certainly understand how the situation and the crazy rules would put off people from seeing a show, especially outside of the busy London West End setting at the moment.
Would have thought cinemas are empty as well right now. There is nothing worth while on to see it seems to me.
Bond is finally coming out in a few weeks. Doubt it will do extremely well as the covid passport thing Scotland and Wales want to implement is just so vague as hell.
I think people will just not bother and watch Netflix instead.

------

Would I go see a show filled with Aerosmith songs right now? Probably not, unless it is on my doorstep.
So, sure I can understand why a touring version of Bat out of Hell might struggle. Regardless of how good it is.

Once I've seen the Bat show I will review it extensively here probably. Guess I could manage Oxford if I really wanted to. Will think about it.
Sometimes it's good to go in with low expectations. Possibly what made BTTF even better for me if I'm being honest.

Last edited by AndrewG; 18 Sep 2021 at 16:56.
AndrewG is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 18 Sep 2021, 23:25   #11
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!
 
Join Date: 18.01.2004
Location:  Northamptonshire
Posts: 6,996
Default

They probably read my post.
And so it starts:

Free Lateral Flow Tests to end

This will not help musicals or cinemas (if proof of a test or vaccine passports are to be required there too), that's for sure.

I can foresee vaccination will be required for all forms of entertainment outside of your home, especially if covid death numbers rise over the winter.

Last edited by AndrewG; 18 Sep 2021 at 23:36.
AndrewG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2021, 21:30   #12
PanicLord
Mega Loafer
 
Join Date: 18.06.2003
Location:  At The End Of The Line
Posts: 2,640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWriterGuy View Post
Having spent three years working on it, trust me when I say - yes, it has. Enormously. Mercilessly.

"More songs, less dialogue."

More to say on this at a later date.
How intriguing! I saw it not long after it opened originally in Manchester and it was an absolute blast although you could tell they were still making edits.

I actually thought the songs fit into the rock musical structure well, partly I guess because I believe Jim always had the Neverland musical in mind.

I suppose maybe one challenge is when you say Bat Out Of Hell The Musical... it possibly doesn't give you much of a clue what it's actually about.

Anyway I hope it does well because we had a blast.
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 20 Sep 2021, 23:15   #13
Michael Marxen
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 04.02.2003
Location: Cologne, Germany
Posts: 342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWriterGuy View Post
"More songs, less dialogue."

.
That would be great!
Michael Marxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2021, 01:39   #14
proctorloaf
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 28.02.2010
Location:  Liverpool, UK
Posts: 322
Default

Theatres are just reopening after almost 2 years closed. Nothing is selling very well. Consumer trust is low. It's sales across the board, not just Bat. Outdoor events are doing much better.

Also in the first 6 week run, I went to many shows where the dress circle had 20 people in it.
proctorloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 21 Sep 2021, 13:28   #15
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 19.10.2015
Location: UK
Posts: 606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Marxen View Post
That would be great!
Depends upon the lens of which you view it through.
ThatWriterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2021, 15:25   #16
eltmatt
Senior Loafer
 
Join Date: 04.03.2010
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by proctorloaf View Post
Theatres are just reopening after almost 2 years closed. Nothing is selling very well. Consumer trust is low. It's sales across the board, not just Bat. Outdoor events are doing much better.

Also in the first 6 week run, I went to many shows where the dress circle had 20 people in it.
Yup! Totally, I know from first hand experience.
eltmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2021, 15:17   #17
mikeloaf
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 06.11.2005
Location: England UK
Posts: 707
Default

I'm put off attending any events at the moment. Not because of 'Covid' but because of the potential for encountering stress around entry and just generally being comfortable at the venues. I've been out at work over a year now and have not taken a test, in fact I don't really know what the different types are, and I've only worn a mask a couple of times last year and then exempted myself on equality grounds as per the UK Law. I'm not going to use a 'Covid Pass' to gain entry to any venue, which will limit my ability to enjoy previously easily accessed events. It's a shame, but, until all the new normal rules are lapsed I will have to miss out. However, I would prefer that, than to be a new normal!
mikeloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:26.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - mlukfc.com
Made by R.

Page generated in 0.10396 seconds with 17 queries.