mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages » Lost Boys and Golden Girls

Old 09 May 2013, 13:43   #26
LucyK!
The Monster Is Luce

Completely agree - Todd is an acquired taste, you may not like his humour or his delivery of what he says, but without him we quite possibly wouldn't have had Bat as we know it, and that doesn't bear thinking about!
LucyK! is offline   Reply With Quote
6 Users Like This Post.
Old 10 May 2013, 01:49   #27
Benny
Massive Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyK! View Post
Completely agree - Todd is an acquired taste, you may not like his humour or his delivery of what he says, but without him we quite possibly wouldn't have had Bat as we know it, and that doesn't bear thinking about!
Agree 100%. And Jim even said on classic albums I think, that Todd is very sarcatic. Guess thats who he is... But a GENIUS! - I'm a big TR/Utopia fan too
Benny is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 11 May 2013, 08:21   #28
Evil Ernie
Super Loafer

I don't see why Todd's comments have sparked such a storm. He didn't say that it was a spoof, the interviewer did. He just sort of agreed, but this is something that I swear that I've heard both ML and JS say as well.

I don't think spoof is the right word for it. I would say that inspired is more like it. I've never heard of music being referred to as a spoof. Are Oasis a spoof of The Beatles? I don't get it.

Todd has been involved in a lot of music. Forgive him for not worshipping these songs like we do.
Evil Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 11 May 2013, 08:43   #29
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...

well jim produced Bat 2 himself, so maybe bat wouldve been even better if Jim produced it.
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2013, 08:58   #30
Paul Richardson
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario View Post
well jim produced Bat 2 himself, so maybe bat wouldve been even better if Jim produced it.
Except Jim had no experience of / didn't know how to produce at the time, so perhaps not.
Paul Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2013, 11:25   #31
LucyK!
The Monster Is Luce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ernie View Post
I don't see why Todd's comments have sparked such a storm.
I'd imagine because it's not the first time comments like that have come up, seems Todd does this a lot!

Quote:
well jim produced Bat 2 himself...
With Bittan
LucyK! is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 11 May 2013, 11:46   #32
Evil One
Mega Loafer

If Jim produced Bat 1 it would have been very country-ish.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2013, 12:35   #33
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

Or show tune ish
duke knooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2013, 12:39   #34
Monstro
Promoted to Wario's spellchecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
If Jim produced Bat 1 it would have been very country-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke knooby View Post
Or show tune ish
Or still in production lol
Monstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2013, 16:39   #35
TheDoode

Quote:
I don't see why Todd's comments have sparked such a storm. He didn't say that it was a spoof, the interviewer did. He just sort of agreed, but this is something that I swear that I've heard both ML and JS say as well.

I don't think spoof is the right word for it.
I think 'spoof' is often misused. I think 'satire' would be a better word to describe Bat.
TheDoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2013, 17:02   #36
The Flying Mouse
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyK! View Post
I'd imagine because it's not the first time comments like that have come up, seems Todd does this a lot!
Todd's sense of humor seems to be a rather aquired taste.

I'm not a fan myself (a little too dry at times) but it just goes to prove that you don't need to like a guy to appreciate the work he's done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstro View Post
Or still in production lol
POTD
The Flying Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2013, 20:46   #37
White of High
Nature's Siegfried

I have never found Bat as a "spoof" of Springsteen. Bat is 10 times better than any Springsten album but Todd grew on me. He was talking about he had done Bat for money. I'm not naiv to believe musicans do music for only their hobby. Bat2 was for money, HCTB was for money and all concert are for money and not for being good. If you are realistic, Todd is right!
White of High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2013, 20:58   #38
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White of High View Post
I have never found Bat as a "spoof" of Springsteen. Bat is 10 times better than any Springsten album but Todd grew on me. He was talking about he had done Bat for money. I'm not naiv to believe musicans do music for only their hobby. Bat2 was for money, HCTB was for money and all concert are for money and not for being good. If you are realistic, Todd is right!
I think you and your buddy Todd are very wrong. If things are only every created for money then why did Todd record the most awful version of 2 out of 3 ever heard by humans? To make money? I think not.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 11 May 2013, 21:00   #39
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Todd was speaking for himself with regard to producing BOOH. That's fine, and right for him. But I think it's a sweeping statement to assert "Bat2 was for money, HCTB was for money and all concert are for money and not for being good." That may be your view .. but personally I don't think for eg Meat recorded HCTB purely for the money. Obviously you need to have an album likely to be financially viable, but in my opinion Meat is driven more by his artistic desire to create than by the money. He has said this, has said he certainly doesn't tour now to make money .. and personally, I believe him.

When Meat and Jim made BOOH, they simply wanted to sell 100K .. for the money? No. It was because back then if you sold 100K you would be able to make another record. They were more driven by creativity, passion, belief, than by making money. HCTB was Meat's opportunity to make the record he had in his head, the music he had in his head. He wanted to record it because he believed in it, believed it was good. For me, and many others, it was!

Bat2 was doubtless wanted by the record company to make money. For Meat and Jim? I think it would have been more about the project, the work. To make an impact, to deliver something special, something that would create passion in those who bought it.

Yes, all artists make their living through their work .. but imo for many the money, whilst necessary to live and feed their families, is often secondary to their creative desire and drive. So is it with both Meat and Jimmy I think .. were they mainly motivated by money they could have churned out album after album .. and had that been the case I think we wouldn't have got the exceptional albums we did.

Caryl
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Like This Post.
Old 11 May 2013, 21:37   #40
Wario

Quote:
Bat2 was for money, HCTB was for money and all concert are for money and not for being good.
Thats getting a rise if I ever saw one. why dont people jump on him?
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 11 May 2013, 21:45   #41
AndrewG

Quote:

Your posts contain an interesting point of view rather than just a dismissive bullet trying to tear down the whole foundation of everything that's been done and why we are here.

Last edited by The Flying Mouse; 12 May 2013 at 21:45. Reason: silly reference
Old 11 May 2013, 21:56   #42
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
I thought I did
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 12 May 2013, 00:40   #43
Wario

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Your posts contain an interesting point of view rather than just a dismissive bullet trying to tear down the whole foundation of everything that's been done and why we are here.
that was said as if it were a compliment then i realized Andrew basically said "the shit you post actually makes sense but is still stupid as all hell even though its interesting, so it's fair game. Plus you're Wario and it just goes with the territory."

I have to commend that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarylB View Post
I thought I did
Touche

And I dont see how Bat 2 nor Teddy Bear was for Money. If HCTB was for the money it wouldve been called Bat Out Of Hell IV: I CAN BARLEY FIT MY PICK IN MY PANTS.

Id like to say of anything meat has done.... arguably Bat 3 was for the money. And that wasn't even Meat that was Desmond and the record company.

Last edited by The Flying Mouse; 12 May 2013 at 21:46. Reason: silly reference
Old 12 May 2013, 01:00   #44
AndrewG

Quote:
Id like to say of anything meat has done.... arguably Bat 3 was for the money. And that wasn't even Meat that was Desmond and the record company.
I think you could indeed argue that's what Bat 3 turned into. A rushed, money making job in the end. I think perhaps Meat acknowledged this afterwards. I honestly don't think it was originally conceived as that as Steinman was on board and writing new songs which if it had only been about money why even bother? Why not just record the remaining Steinman BFG / Pandora songs etc.

I think if anything the whole Meat / Steinman history completely goes against conventions of making money. If everyone tells you to cut songs down to 3 minutes then surely you would do that if you only want money and don't care about the art you are creating.
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 12 May 2013, 04:52   #45
Evil Ernie
Super Loafer

Quote:
You hit the nail on the head.

Even though I do think that there's a saturation point with artists. I mean, how much money do you really need to be happy?

Realistically they need to be satisfied both artistically and financially. Getting that happy balance is the secret.
Evil Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 12 May 2013, 05:14   #46
AndrewG

Quote:
Really?!

I'd say there is no nail and his aim is way off!
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 12 May 2013, 05:18   #47
Wario

Quote:

Even though I do think that there's a saturation point with artists. I mean, how much money do you really need to be happy?

Realistically they need to be satisfied both artistically and financially. Getting that happy balance is the secret.
I hope ur being sarcastic.
Old 12 May 2013, 05:24   #48
AndrewG

In my opinion Meat is the complete opposite of some of the aqusations that go around and other artists are usually guilty off:
Doing it only for money - no ~~~~ing way. Why perform three hours when you can get away with just an hour which many artists do?
Not crediting the writers/creator / Jim Steinman. I think Meat has proven, especially on this tour how grateful he is for Jim and the opportunity he has been given and the life he has led through it.

Honestly how some people's minds work is really beyond me considering the spelled out evidence in front of them that proves the opposite.

Anyway sorry to go off topic....

The fact that Todd walked away with more cash and doesn't seem to care about the product as much is also further proof that usually the people thinking of the whole creation and working on it so much (did Todd join Meat & Jim in all those board room performances? - I think not) that money isn't always a guaranteed reward anyway.
It's great Todd was there to produce Bat and he did a kick ass job but I have witnessed a lot of people in the industry (touts too btw!) to see there are many people on the ride who are ONLY doing it for the money whilst I sense more a love for the work and fans from Meat himself. I have nothing but respect for him to give us so much for so long and if he can have a bit of a comfortable rest of his life because of that well ~~~~ sake, I'd say he flipping deserves it!
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 12 May 2013, 15:00   #49
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
In my opinion Meat is the complete opposite of some .... Doing it only for money - no ~~~~ing way ... I think Meat has proven, especially on this tour how grateful he is for Jim and the opportunity he has been given and the life he has led through it.
Yes, Meat's actions and way of living, as well as his words, are always entirely consistent with him doing what he does, not for the money, but because he is driven by a need to do what he does, and cares more for those he does it for than by any financial motive.

Quote:
The fact that Todd walked away with more cash and doesn't seem to care about the product as much is also further proof that usually the people thinking of the whole creation and working on it so much (did Todd join Meat & Jim in all those board room performances? - I think not) that money isn't always a guaranteed reward anyway.
Good point

Quote:
It's great Todd was there to produce Bat and he did a kick ass job but I have witnessed a lot of people in the industry (touts too btw!) to see there are many people on the ride who are ONLY doing it for the money whilst I sense more a love for the work and fans from Meat himself. I have nothing but respect for him to give us so much for so long and if he can have a bit of a comfortable rest of his life because of that well ~~~~ sake, I'd say he flipping deserves it!
In complete accord. If Meat has a comfortable home (which he sees little of, he works so hard!), stays in good hotel, has a decent car (and he doesn't have a collection like some wealthy performers) he has damned well earned it. He doesn't flaunt what wealth he has, is one of the least acquisitive successful performers you could ever find. Whilst having the good fortune to be born with a huge talent and meet the right person with whom he could do great things with it, he has worked his ass off to make the most of it, has never failed to show his gratitude, and has consistently made his own "luck". To be admired, not jealously envied imo.

Caryl
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 12 May 2013, 15:33   #50
White of High
Nature's Siegfried

I didn't say Meat did all of his albums for money. Bat1 or Dead Ringer wasn't for money, he had fire. Bat3 was for money and yes, HCTB was for money. The only video (Los Angeloser) was a kitsch, they recorded two rap songs with rap stars and 'celebrities' from a TV show, he had famous guest stars like Jack Black and Dr. House on piano. C'mon, why not his old friend actor-musican Dennis Quaid? Because he is not trendy anymore? All HCTB was about business...

It can be silly but don't be naiv, music is more money industry than hobby in the last 20 years...
White of High is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Dislike This Post.