Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Mouse View Post
Try a drinking contest with the Merchant
I could take them.
Sebastian. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2014, 00:53   #56102
JennaG
Mega Loafer

There were lots of lovely shiny mac laptops on the train home from work today. I come home to do work of a different type (unpaid) on a computer that is definitely not a mac and rather disappointing.

On the desktop wallpaper of said disappointing computer is a photo of the person I spent my money on seeing in concert instead of buying the computer.
JennaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2014, 01:26   #56103
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaG View Post
There were lots of lovely shiny mac laptops on the train home from work today. I come home to do work of a different type (unpaid) on a computer that is definitely not a mac and rather disappointing.

On the desktop wallpaper of said disappointing computer is a photo of the person I spent my money on seeing in concert instead of buying the computer.
But at least you have your memories of the show(s)- that's worth more than any old computer! :)
(Says the woman with the ten-year - old desktop )
Julie in the rv mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 01:36   #56104
JennaG
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie in the rv mirror View Post
But at least you have your memories of the show(s)- that's worth more than any old computer! :) (Says the woman with the ten-year - old desktop )
If a computer still does what you need it to do then I don't think age matters. The laptop I'm referring to is less than a year old but it's a far inferior computer than my dad's four year old desktop.

I had to lower my expectations for a computer after last year but I still look at the macs sometimes and think 'if only'.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 02:29   #56105
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:
If a computer still does what you need it to do then I don't think age matters. The laptop I'm referring to is less than a year old but it's a far inferior computer than my dad's four year old desktop.

I had to lower my expectations for a computer after last year but I still look at the macs sometimes and think 'if only'.
I was never much of a Mac fan- the only Apple product I own is an iPod.

My computer has been pretty sufficient until lately- it's getting to be time for a new one soon. I'd probably already have one if it weren't for certain priorities...

1 User Likes This Post.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 02:46   #56106
JennaG
Mega Loafer

Ooh is that Microsoft XP?

That was one of Microsoft's most loved operating systems and they ended up losing money in it in the long run, hence the removal of the support for it.

My newest laptop is on Windows 8.1 and that was quite a strange operating system to begin with. I actually prefer Windows 7 to 8.1 but I didn't have much choice in that.

Part of me is thinking about getting one of my older laptops looked at and using that instead and eventually buying a desktop that can do what I need. At least I won't have to buy new programs and some of them are pretty pricey.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 03:06   #56107
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:
Ooh is that Microsoft XP?
Yep, I haven't upgraded, and don't really want to, though I know I'll have to eventually. I didn't like Windows 7 at all; I don't have much experience with 8 as of yet.

You might be better off putting a little money into your old machine- the parts aren't so expensive, especially if you know someone who can install them for you.

Laptops have gotten so powerful these days, I don't think I'll buy another desktop.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 03:52   #56108
JennaG
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Yep, I haven't upgraded, and don't really want to, though I know I'll have to eventually. I didn't like Windows 7 at all; I don't have much experience with 8 as of yet. You might be better off putting a little money into your old machine- the parts aren't so expensive, especially if you know someone who can install them for you. Laptops have gotten so powerful these days, I don't think I'll buy another desktop.
The newest laptop would be pretty hard to upgrade from what I've read as things like the graphics on that one are integrated but I'm not sure what my three year old laptop would be like. My dad's desktop would be brilliant for upgrading as it's still a great computer on a whole although I think he's miss it if I were to put it in my study as he doesn't really do laptops.

If you didn't like Windows 7 then Windows 8 isn't going to be much better IMO. They're working on Windows 9 which works to improve on some of the things that people disliked about Windows 8. There's also rumours that it might be free although I'm not sure on the reliability of that information.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 04:19   #56109
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:
If you didn't like Windows 7 then Windows 8 isn't going to be much better IMO. They're working on Windows 9 which works to improve on some of the things that people disliked about Windows 8. There's also rumours that it might be free although I'm not sure on the reliability of that information.
Free is always good (unless it's a U2 album ), though it sounds too good to be true, so it probably isn't.

I was afraid of that, re. Windows 8; maybe I'll be able to hold out for 9.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 04:23   #56110
Monstro
Promoted to Wario's spellchecker

Quote:
Hate 8, my laptops run Vista or 7 though both will be retired soon as my already upgraded Sony Vaio just can't handle Photoshop & Lightroom. Afraid I'm biting the bullet and moving to Apple, bit pissed I can't get a macbook pro in 17" but with what the 15" retina is gonna cost it would probably be too expensive for me anyway.

On another note I thought they were jumping to Windows 10 and missing 9

edit, yup, straight to 10....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29431412
Monstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2014, 11:39   #56111
Sebastian.
Biggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstro View Post
Hate 8, my laptops run Vista or 7 though both will be retired soon as my already upgraded Sony Vaio just can't handle Photoshop & Lightroom. Afraid I'm biting the bullet and moving to Apple, bit pissed I can't get a macbook pro in 17" but with what the 15" retina is gonna cost it would probably be too expensive for me anyway.

You won't regret it. Made the jump to Apple with a 13 inch retina MacBook Pro. They're lightning fast, the screen is a thing of beauty and OSX puts windows to shame and it's so easy to upgrade to each new OSX. Free and it doesn't format your Mac.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 12:08   #56112
JennaG
Mega Loafer

Quote:
I quite like the Sony Vaio but I can imagine how a fair few computers would struggle with Lightroom and Photoshop. I've not used Lightroom myself but knowing its capabilities, I can imagine why so many computers can't handle it. My dad's desktop used to be able to run Photoshop and Dreamweaver CS6 together (I say used to because I don't use Dreamweaver much any more) but this newest laptop of mine won't run just Photoshop CS6 without a lot of lagging. I might put CS2 on it and see if it co-operates better with that.

I didn't buy this computer, The Disabled Students Allowance did (and put all this assistive technology on it for my Open University work). The last one I bought is about three years old but needs looking at. On a whole it's a better computer but still not all that close to what I'd like. I've got an eleven year old laptop sitting around somewhere and that was a brilliant computer in it's day but I don't really know what to do with it now.

Quote:

I'm not all that up to date with the developments with Windows. I used to be but have fallen behind a bit because I've been doing this unpaid website stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian. View Post
You won't regret it. Made the jump to Apple with a 13 inch retina MacBook Pro. They're lightning fast, the screen is a thing of beauty and OSX puts windows to shame and it's so easy to upgrade to each new OSX. Free and it doesn't format your Mac.
So I'm not wrong to sit and look at these things in awe then?
Old 25 Oct 2014, 12:46   #56113
tonyloaf
Metal Head

Quote:

apple shop Bangkok is the way forward :)
tonyloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 16:29   #56114
melon
Long Distance Loafer

Quote:
Free is always good (unless it's a U2 album ),
Lol

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Forum Runner
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2014, 00:24   #56115
JennaG
Mega Loafer

Argh! No more getting distracted by expensive computers. My savings priority has to remain the same.

Maybe I will own an iMac or a MacBook Pro one day but on my budgets it'll have to be either second hand or reconditioned.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 00:37   #56116
Monstro

Bought Anji two, both second hand, got our Imac second hand too off a facebook group, £2k 2yrs earlier when new and he accepted £400 for a quick sale, just got to look for the bargains.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 00:38   #56117
tonyloaf
Metal Head

Jenna, fly from Heathrow to Bangkok, take taxi to siam siam. taxi cost 500 bt (cheap) apple shop on left, again very cheap. you can also buy a carry case ....... happy face....... then have some pad thai food (cheap) call a taxi back to the airport (cheap) then fly home ....... happy face :)

Last edited by tonyloaf; 26 Oct 2014 at 00:47.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 00:44   #56118
Monstro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyloaf View Post
Jenna, fly from Heathrow to Bangkok, take taxi to siam siam. taxi cost 500 bt (cheep) apple shop on left, again very cheep. you can also buy a carry case ....... happy face....... then have some pad thai food (cheep) call a taxi back to the airport (cheep) then fly home ....... happy face :)
Tony, click on link
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Collins-Ge...item5406fe2d1a
click buy it now (CHEAP), free postage (CHEAP), gives you ability to check spelling (PRICELESS)............taking the piss face lol
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 00:47   #56119
tonyloaf
Metal Head

lool love it!!! ...... i got 3
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 01:28   #56120
Sebastian.
Biggles

Damn my love for Ralph Lauren Clothes. Quick £92.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 01:46   #56121
tonyloaf
Metal Head

Seb also for you bangkok-- you can get Ralph brother Ronnie. ..... and a free game of ping pong
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 28 Oct 2014, 14:39   #56122
Sebastian.
Biggles

Aircraft recognition test today. Refused to revise for it.

25/25.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 28 Oct 2014, 20:53   #56123
tonyloaf
Metal Head

29th nov gatwick hotel is Emirates day :)
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 29 Oct 2014, 00:20   #56124
Sebastian.
Biggles

Looking forward to next Sunday. I'll be on parade in Shrewsbury for Remembrance Day. Feeling very proud to be part of it.
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 29 Oct 2014, 09:45   #56125
Guy
Super Loafer

Wow. The BBC to get a "super computer"
Super?
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote