mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages » Lost Boys and Golden Girls

Old 27 Jan 2009, 16:11   #1
Couch Potato
DrumBum

Default Would You Pay To See John Do A Drum Clinic

Hello fellow rockers!!

Like John, I myself am a Drummer, and when I go and watch bands, be it a big world tour or the local pub with a band on, and find myself always watching the drummer and I have learned alot from watching.
I also am endorsed by SONOR (LIKE JOHN) and was wondering if you fellew ML fans would pay to watch John give a drum clinic?

Its just an idea in the pipeline ATM, I have not officially approicahed John or his managment to enquire about fees etc, but a freind has his own Dum shop and has put clinics on before (not at the shop) and has generally charge £5-£10 for a ticket.

Would any of you fellow drummers on here AND fans on Meat and the Band pay around £15 for a ticket to watch John give a clinic?
It would be in the South Yorkshire area, and the venue(s) we are looking at hold between 200-400 people.
I would just like toget an idea from some of you if you would come, and if it would be worth me approcahing John and his managment to discuss!

Any feedback/help appreciated.

Thanks

Rich
AKA
Frank Goodness
Couch Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2009, 16:27   #2
*originaldancechick
Senior Loafer

If I could get up there, which is quite possible, of course I would. Luv cx
*originaldancechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2009, 16:34   #3
LucyK!
The Monster Is Luce

My honest feedback would be that you're extremely unlikely to get 200+ Meat Loaf fans who aren't drummers to sign up. Perhaps I'm wrong but although £15 is a reasonable ticket price I can't see that many people travelling to South Yorkshire and back (having arranged time off/baby sitters/transport/possibly even a hotel for a night) purely to sit and watch John drum
LucyK! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2009, 20:25   #4
Deb
Mega Loafer

I would and I know a good few more (not 200 granted) that would as well that don't post here
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2009, 20:47   #5
allrevvedup
"Most things that i worry about, never happen anyway"

Deb, i'm sure on the night you'd make enough noise for 200

but you might have to talk to the bank manager about paying for 200!
allrevvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2009, 20:49   #6
Deb
Mega Loafer

Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2009, 09:54   #7
Battybarb
Nutty Tart From Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrevvedup View Post
Deb, i'm sure on the night you'd make enough noise for 200

but you might have to talk to the bank manager about paying for 200!

now thats not nice,the drums would make all the noise...lol
Battybarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2009, 02:30   #8
Winston
Super Loafer

Hi Debs
Winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2009, 10:43   #9
bobbin
Senior Loafer

i would go and be willing to pay for tickets

And i know of at least 4 other non members who would go too
bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2009, 16:42   #10
Couch Potato
DrumBum

Thanks for the feedback.

Lucy,I appreciate what your saying, and agree, but its not just an event for Meat Loaf fans, this is an event for drumming fans, drumms, music fants etc. Previous drum clinics have sold out at 150 tickets. Im trying to get in touch with SONOR to see if they will sponsor a kit for the evening, I have also been offered the run of a venue for free, so thats a positive and the venue holds 300 people, but 200/250 is cosy, dont want to be cramped like sardines. They wont just be a drum clinic by John, there will also be a live band, plus a buffit. And I am also trying to get the promoter to throw in one free drink per person only IF we sell so many tickets. I am going to get in touch with Johns managment, or approach John direct if he would rather do this without all the hassle of managment. I am also willing to put some people up in my place if this event goes ahead for the night. I have 2 spare beds, a large living room and cook a mean breakfast!!!

Will keep you all posted on updates etc and if the event is actually happening.

Love in a peaceful world

Rich
Old 05 Feb 2009, 16:45   #11
Couch Potato
DrumBum

Forgot to mention the band could possibly a ML tribute...not overly sure yet. The other option is a blues/rock band. One of the best in the area, Voodoo Van Boogie!
Old 05 Feb 2009, 17:26   #12
LucyK!
The Monster Is Luce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch Potato View Post

Lucy,I appreciate what your saying, and agree, but its not just an event for Meat Loaf fans, this is an event for drumming fans, drumms, music fants etc.
Oh I understand that, I think really I meant it might not appeal to regular Meat Loaf fans (if there is such a thing?!) where the only connection between a drum clinic and them would be that they've heard of the drummer running the session.

Otherwise I think the clinics are a good idea, I used to play tuned percussion and we loved it when people came to us to do workshops and such like, really motivational and inspiring
LucyK! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2009, 19:09   #13
The Flying Mouse
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.

Quote:
Im trying to get in touch with SONOR to see if they will sponsor a kit for the evening,
I would SERIOUSLY talk to John direct before contacting his sponsors.
I'm sure the last thing anyone wants is for his sponsor to hassel John over something he might not want to do.
That's not to say he wouldn't be interested, i'm not a mind reader, but at least approach John first before anyone else.
You can mention that you too are sponsored by Sonar, and you think it might be good to get them on board.

Quote:
but 200/250 is cosy, dont want to be cramped like sardines. They wont just be a drum clinic by John, there will also be a live band, plus a buffit.
So that's 250 X &10 = £2500.
And that two and a half grand has got to pay John's expenses (flight, additional travel, hotel, food.As well as leaving a small profit in his pocket.Hey, a guy's gotta eat) and you need a buffet to feed 250 people + to pay for the band who's going to play.
I don't know how much it would take to get John on board, but it looks like the money could be being spread a little thin.

Would I attend?
I'm not sure to be honest.
I'd have to look at the logistics of the whole thing.
No, i'm not a drummer, but I do think it would be cool to see John give an exhibition.
Perhaps it will bore the crap out of me, and the only people who would really enjoy this are the real drum heads (pun intended) but i'd be willing to give it a shot
I don't know how many other non drumming Meat fans would turn up, but I imagine i'm not the only one who would be interested.
And there are plenty of drummers who would be glad to be able to have a demo from Meat Loaf's drummer, so you might well be onto something.

Quote:
I have 2 spare beds, a large living room and cook a mean breakfast!!!
I refuse to rise before 3pm, and I like my bacon crispy
The Flying Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2009, 00:21   #14
Couch Potato
DrumBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy! View Post
Oh I understand that, I think really I meant it might not appeal to regular Meat Loaf fans (if there is such a thing?!) where the only connection between a drum clinic and them would be that they've heard of the drummer running the session.

Otherwise I think the clinics are a good idea, I used to play tuned percussion and we loved it when people came to us to do workshops and such like, really motivational and inspiring
Yea, its very inspirational, and it does give you a sence of a feeling...like people want to hear you. I have done a clinic but made a mess of my drum solo!!

I was'nt going to approach SONOR until I had a few things confirmed, but, even if I did, I would not tell them who was giving the clinic, I dont have to, I could request a kit for recording, or for a tour im doing and use it.

Money is not going to be the biggest problem, we are in talks with other sponsors for the even ie, Zildzian, Sabian, Gibralter harward (im hopeing to get a free set of hardware), Shure drum mics, and other small companies. There is a small wrestling company, 1pw, and I know some of the folks that run the promotion who have offerd a £3000 cheque to me IF I get john and if I promote aload of their merchandice/up coming shows and have a banner made for them for free, Ive also got music shops and venues interested in sposoring the event. So your talking around 20k in sponsors, plus ticket money, plus a % of the money spent over the bar.
i have looked into this before I thought about posting.For me it has to be John, but of cource, the shop owner wants to go with someone British, who is endorsed by another drum manufacturer (spit) and its his call, it all comes down to fees and the sort of sponsors we can nail.

If its not going to be early this year, I can gurantee something before the year is out with John.
I am amazed how approacheable he is, Ive sent him messages/pcis over myspace and he seems to reply within a day or two!! What a nice guy. I would love to meet him actually, talk about drums, as drummers do. I stood next to him at Chatsworth and didnt know it was him until I turned around, and I wasalso amazed at how tiny he was....but he is a great drummer. Ive seen the best in the business play. Ginger Baker, Mitch Mitchell (rip), Steve Gadd, Cozy Powell (rip)..naming a small ortion of a large handful.

Details to follow soon, with info etc.

Keep rockin

Love in a peaceful world
Old 09 Feb 2009, 06:32   #15
Pudding
I'm A Prize Fight Lover...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Mouse View Post
So that's 250 X &10 = £2500.
And that two and a half grand has got to pay John's expenses (flight, additional travel, hotel, food.As well as leaving a small profit in his pocket.Hey, a guy's gotta eat) and you need a buffet to feed 250 people + to pay for the band who's going to play.
I don't know how much it would take to get John on board, but it looks like the money could be being spread a little thin.
I pretty much agree, the cost of the ticket price would have to at least double for it to be worthwhile for him to make the trip.

I can see it being a possibility on the next Meat Loaf tour when the band have a few days off, a bit like when Kasim does a solo gig. Other than that, I can't see it happening.

Pud
Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote