mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » Tyre Tracks & Broken Hearts

Old 05 Dec 2016, 02:45   #1
White of High
Nature's Siegfried

Default 126. Loving You's A Dirty Job (But Somebody's Gotta Do It)

This is the START OUT OF HELL & ARRIVE TO HEAVEN topic.
Let's Go to Rock 'n' Roll!!!!!!!

Loving You's A Dirty Job (But Somebody's Gotta Do It) (5)

Meat Loaf said it's not a cover, it's a total different song. I don't get it. They just changed the roles and that's it.

I like the synth intro and bridge but that's all. Meat's voice is very weak in this one, and Stacy Michelle is forgettable too. The last lines in the last verse are disaster, one of the weakest point of the entire album.

Bonnie Tyler's version was much better, even if Todd Rundgren's voice didn't fit the song. But Meat's voice either... anymore.

The song is 8, performance 2, so...

My score: 5
White of High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2016, 03:11   #2
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by White of High View Post
This is the START OUT OF HELL & ARRIVE TO HEAVEN topic.
Let's Go to Rock 'n' Roll!!!!!!!

Loving You's A Dirty Job (But Somebody's Gotta Do It) (5)

Meat Loaf said it's not a cover, it's a total different song. I don't get it. They just changed the roles and that's it.

I like the synth intro and bridge but that's all. Meat's voice is very weak in this one, and Stacy Michelle is forgettable too. The last lines in the last verse are disaster, one of the weakest point of the entire album.

Bonnie Tyler's version was much better, even if Todd Rundgren's voice didn't fit the song. But Meat's voice either... anymore.

The song is 8, performance 2, so...

My score: 5
How did i know this would be a negative review
stretch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 05 Dec 2016, 03:16   #3
nikox1
Mega Loafer

Really like this song, one of my favourites. Meats voice is fine and staceys vocal on this is off the charts
nikox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 05 Dec 2016, 03:36   #4
White of High
Nature's Siegfried

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch37 View Post
How did i know this would be a negative review
I hate hit covers, find it pointless and lazy.
White of High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2016, 12:00   #5
Meat Loaf_fan
Super Loafer

Loving You's A Dirty Job (But Somebody's Gotta Do It)

Great, really great duet done by Meat and Stacy Michelle. I love it from start to finish. In the past I thought that Bonnie Tyler's version lacks of something. Now we have new male voice, new female voice and new melody. New version is better than the previous one! Meat is better singer than Todd Rundgren, Stacy voice is maybe not characteristic (as Bonnie voice) but it is super; the new melody is even better than the version from 80's (thanks to Paul Crook production). In other words: I like it nearly on the same level as "Going All The Way ...".

My score: 10,5/10
Meat Loaf_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 05 Dec 2016, 18:22   #6
besty
Greek Loaf - Bat Out Of Hellas!

I LOVE the intro. It's Paul Crook putting his stamp on the song, an atmospheric build up and much more current than the Bonnie version. Very similar to his reworking of the intro to frying pan live. I also love the campy, almost vaudeville sound to the backing vocals and the "triple AHHH's". I think Meat's voice is pretty good on this and Stacy's voice is incredible. Only negative's are "From the heavens on down to the dives" (which is an amazing line), is kind of wasted and thrown away, and I agree with the OP that the final lines of the song are really weak, surely they could have done another take. Other than that, this is up there with GATW for the best track on the album. 9/10. (Would have been a 10 if Meat resang the last couple of lines).
besty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2016, 19:29   #7
MarkS
Super Loafer

One of the shining moments on the album, Meat stays low for the most part but it really doesn't affect the feel of the song. I had not heard the other versions of this song before, so this is and will be my definitive version for the song.

3rd favorite from the album being GATW and Tongues

9/10
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2016, 23:13   #8
Tina.K.
Braver than she is 🤔

I absolutely love this song! IMO the best of the album, although it is not sung with Meat's best voice (especially the last part). Meat's best voice of the whole album is on Souvenirs which I also like very much. But LYIADJ is my favorite. I really like the composition of this song. The intro is stunning by Paul and Justin and Stacey's vocals are very good.

10/10
Tina.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2016, 23:43   #9
anotherday
Super Loafer

Great song, great album.

ALL TRACKS 10/10 from me.
anotherday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2016, 00:01   #10
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

It's good but I prefer the original a little bit more.

I'm glad however they tried something very different rather than cover it exactly the same as the original (the Celine Dion All coming back to me now is like that, now THAT is pointless but appreciate the stardom of Dion helped to make the song popular and a success)

No offence to Stacy Michelle but I'd wish Loving you had been recorded with Ellen or Karla instead though. Their voices suit Meat's music better. GATW is out of this world. I feel the other female vocals on the album including those on Loving You (and some of the background vocals too) bring the album somewhat back down to earth.

7/10
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 06 Dec 2016, 00:01   #11
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Wonderful track .. and Meat never "does covers", he takes any song and makes it his own. How anyone can consider Stacy "forgettable" defeats me. I think her voice is perfect counterpoint to Meat's rich baritone .. and the final lines simply serve to emphasise the poignancy of the song to me.

10/10 .. (but you should add at least 3 for the comments made by WOH)
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Dislikes This Post.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 06 Dec 2016, 01:54   #12
Monstro
Promoted to Wario's spellchecker

I like this one, one of three on the album I listen to though I probably agree with Andrew regarding the female vocal
Monstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2016, 12:56   #13
Moonlight shadow
Super Loafer

I thank is one of the three Best song of the album. Meat voice is like always, powerful and very emotional. Better than Bonnie's versión, for me.
10/10
Moonlight shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 06 Dec 2016, 18:38   #14
nightinr
Super Loafer

Really like this song. Reminds me of Good Girls Go to Heaven and Couldn't have said it better.

The vocals aren't great and obviously would be so much better if Patti was singing but you can really feel the passion.

I am however uncomfortable with it being a cover from a we'll known star.

8/10
nightinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2016, 19:09   #15
Evil One
Mega Loafer

It's mostly excellent. Meat's very first line is a bit rough and I think the ending is a bit Desmond Child. The rest of the song has been reworked really well, but it seems the creativeness fizzled out right at the end. It's much, much better than listening to Todd's droning on Bonnie's version though.

I give it an 8.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Dec 2016, 00:25   #16
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

good song, good version. 7
duke knooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2021, 22:06   #17
Frying Bat
Loafer

(From this moment) The Average Score is 7.75
Frying Bat is offline   Reply With Quote