mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages » Lost Boys and Golden Girls

Old 20 Oct 2010, 05:17   #26
Vickip
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Mouse View Post
She'd be better off doing a solo album of her own, promoing it to hell (with the right management behind her) and getting all the praise herself.
I absolutely agree.
Vickip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2010, 16:52   #27
Smithie
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I'd rather just have a good Meat Loaf album next with less song writers attached and better songs. A Patti duet on it I always welcome.
Why isn't Patti a part of the songwriting team? She's a great songwriter. I do hope that Meat's next album has some great duets w/ Patti that give her a chance to shine (unlike LBIL).

As for album sales, HCTB has not sold millions but it is still a creative success for Meat. To me, success is not determined by sales figures but by the quality of the work. With the right hit single, a Meat-Patti album might sell millions. It is impossible to predict. It depends on the song choices and the audience' response to the songs.
Smithie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2010, 21:44   #28
Pudding
I'm A Prize Fight Lover...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie View Post
With the right hit single, a Meat-Patti album might sell millions. It is impossible to predict. It depends on the song choices and the audience' response to the songs.
Can you have a wrong hit single?
Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2010, 21:56   #29
Steve6
Batman

Quote:
As for album sales, HCTB has not sold millions but it is still a creative success for Meat.
If it was a creative success it would have sold millions.

Quote:
To me, success is not determined by sales figures but by the quality of the work. With the right hit single, a Meat-Patti album might sell millions. It is impossible to predict. It depends on the song choices and the audience' response to the songs
I agree with that, but they would need a good songwriter. Meat is surrounded by good ones as it is, but they have yet to pen something truly outstanding, that has the ability to top the charts in my opinion.
Steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2010, 23:12   #30
Pudding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve6 View Post
I agree with that, but they would need a good songwriter. Meat is surrounded by good ones as it is, but they have yet to pen something truly outstanding, that has the ability to top the charts in my opinion.
I'm probably going to get my balls chewed off for this but what the hell. A good songwriter probably isn't going to give Meat their best songs because they'll want a bigger pay cheque through royalties. A bigger pay cheque is only going to come through their song hitting it big time, which means someone who's more popular.
Old 21 Oct 2010, 23:24   #31
Steve6
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudding View Post
I'm probably going to get my balls chewed off for this but what the hell. A good songwriter probably isn't going to give Meat their best songs because they'll want a bigger pay cheque through royalties. A bigger pay cheque is only going to come through their song hitting it big time, which means someone who's more popular.
I wouldn't be so sure about the "not giving him their best songs part", that's a debate to nowhere if you ask me. Singles are like lottery tickets sometimes. A song that's crap can get to Number 1, and make a huge turnover.
Old 22 Oct 2010, 03:41   #32
Pudding

Quote:
I wouldn't be so sure about the "not giving him their best songs part", that's a debate to nowhere if you ask me.
No it isn't, it might be a debate for another thread though. How many of the songs from HCTB were covers of old(er) songs?
Old 23 Oct 2010, 01:00   #33
Steve6
Batman

Quote:
No it isn't, it might be a debate for another thread though. How many of the songs from HCTB were covers of old(er) songs?
They are all new aren't they?
Old 23 Oct 2010, 01:36   #34
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

Quote:
depends what you mean by new
duke knooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2010, 01:38   #35
Monstro
Promoted to Wario's spellchecker

Quote:
No it isn't, it might be a debate for another thread though.
Quote:
Please take the hint.

Back to topic please
Monstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2010, 07:32   #36
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...

You know they could easily make 75 minute compilation album if they wanted to using the four MSO songs with Meat and patti going at it (DRFL, Paradise, Testify, and AFL), CHSIB, Lie For You, Last Kiss, LOTO, and LBIL
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2010, 20:00   #37
The Flying Mouse
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarioLoaf View Post
You know they could easily make 75 minute compilation album if they wanted to using the four MSO songs with Meat and patti going at it (DRFL, Paradise, Testify, and AFL), CHSIB, Lie For You, Last Kiss, LOTO, and LBIL
THat is a very UNexciting proposition
The Flying Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2010, 23:43   #38
Steve6
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarioLoaf View Post
It just wouldn't work Wario. AFL, Paradise, and I'd Lie for you, have been around the circuit many times before. LOTO and LBIL have only been released.
Old 24 Oct 2010, 00:07   #39
allrevvedup
"Most things that i worry about, never happen anyway"

Quote:
Why isn't Patti a part of the songwriting team? She's a great songwriter. I do hope that Meat's next album has some great duets w/ Patti that give her a chance to shine (unlike LBIL).

As for album sales, HCTB has not sold millions but it is still a creative success for Meat. To me, success is not determined by sales figures but by the quality of the work. With the right hit single, a Meat-Patti album might sell millions. It is impossible to predict. It depends on the song choices and the audience' response to the songs.
many albums with quality work have sold next to nothing or remain undiscovered by the large majority of music fans. what record companies react to is whether they can make money from it, be all and end all. they don't want to know what it took to make the album (emotionally) although if there's a handy non complicated story that they can tag on to an album to tug at the heartstrings of the public a little bit more that can drive sales then obviously it's going to be something they want to try.

Unless you have something like Robert Plant (who lets face it is one of the top 5 rock icons) & Alison Krauss releasing an album that gets the publics attention, it's a very tough thing to do a duet album. Chrissie Hynde recently released an album with a singer called JP Jones (they have an on/off relationship) and it's received mixed reviews.

I can't see a record company jumping for joy at idea of a Meat & Patti russo album and putting their backing and their money into it. Maybe an album with Meat and other established artists, like Slash has done recently, would be something to consider but who knows.
allrevvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2010, 04:37   #40
Steve6
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrevvedup View Post
I can't see a record company jumping for joy at idea of a Meat & Patti russo album and putting their backing and their money into it. Maybe an album with Meat and other established artists, like Slash has done recently, would be something to consider but who knows.
Meat did release an album entitled "Meat Loaf and Friends", but that only had Jim, Bonnie, and Ellen Foley if I can remember correctly. I haven't heard it in a few years (I owned a copy but it got broken). It was a compilation CD, but if they released an album with the same people, and had brand new songs on it that might work too. Patti would definitely be involved. To be fair Mike HCTB and Bat 3 had a lot of established artists involved, but I'm guessing you want more duets with the artists, and not just behind the scenes production work and songwriting? Which I'd agree with totally.
Old 24 Oct 2010, 10:26   #41
Pudding

Quote:
Meat did release an album entitled "Meat Loaf and Friends",
Jesus, talk about naive a CD was releases entitled "Meat Loaf And Friends" but it had sod all to do with Meat Loaf.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 15:13   #42
Steve6
Batman

Quote:
Jesus, talk about naive a CD was releases entitled "Meat Loaf And Friends" but it had sod all to do with Meat Loaf.
I know it had sod all to do with Meat Loaf. What I'm trying to say is if you had the same artists involved on a similar record, but had brand new songs instead, that would work my opinion. Have Meat Loaf, Ellen Foley, Patti, Jim, maybe Todd too, it would work better than just a Meat & Patti CD in my opinion.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 17:44   #43
glamourgirl
Super Loafer

Quote:
Pattis has co-written some good songs, using the words 'many' and 'great' is stretching it just a little. Also who's to say Meat wants to sing one of her songs when one of her songs got rejected for Bat3?
I never suggested that Patti write the songs that Meat would sing on the album. I was referring to the songs that Patti would sing on the album. She has already CO-written numerous great songs. Maybe you don't think her songs are great, but I do. Maybe you don't think the HCTB songs are great, but I do.
How do you know that Meat rejected Patti's song for Bat 3? Meat has never said that.

Quote:
But I totally agree, her talent is respected by fans, by Meat Loaf fans, hence she'd still be in his shadow if they did an album together.

Her talent is respected by more than just Meat Loaf fans. My sister first heard Patti's voice on TSO's "Beethoven's Last Night" album. My sister isn't a fan of Meat's music, but if Patti sings on an album, she buys it.
glamourgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2010, 23:55   #44
Pudding

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourgirl View Post
How do you know that Meat rejected Patti's song for Bat 3? Meat has never said that.
I don't always listen to Meat

Quote:
Her talent is respected by more than just Meat Loaf fans. My sister first heard Patti's voice on TSO's "Beethoven's Last Night" album. My sister isn't a fan of Meat's music, but if Patti sings on an album, she buys it.
If an album was made to cater for your sister then great, especially if she's willing to buy a few thousand copies.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 17:29   #45
glamourgirl
Super Loafer

Quote:
I don't always listen to Meat

If an album was made to cater for your sister then great, especially if she's willing to buy a few thousand copies.
There are thousands more TSO fans impressed with her vocals on that album.

As for Bat 3, I doubt it was Meat who rejected Patti's song. Meat dislikes most of the non-Steinman songs on Bat 3, so he clearly didn't get to pick the songs for the album. It was probably Desmond Child's choice not to include her song.
glamourgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2010, 18:17   #46
allrevvedup
"Most things that i worry about, never happen anyway"

Quote:
as well they should be but it doesn't automatically mean those thousands will buy anything that's released of hers.

visions of posts of 'millions of Meat Loaf fans' suddenly rush back to me.

the hardest thing to get anyone to do nowadays os to spend money on things they don't need and I include record companies in that.

You have to have massive earning potential for even a consideration of an album being made. I'd love to see Patti go to an independent label and play the hell out of small venues, around the world, building herself up in the process but it's not easy. you've got to get the right agents, promoters and most important the demand from fans.

If it's not there you won't get anyone wanting to spend money on it. Pearl took a long time to be discovered and is only now starting to make a tiny, but potentially large, dent in the business. Kasim has been trying for years and doesn't do that badly at all for the small group (no offence) of support he has.

More recently i've seen that Marya Roxx, a name that will be familiar to a few here, has finally got a label to release her full album on but it's only the start in relation to fully making it.

A Meat Loaf and Patti Russo album is a nice idea but unlikely
allrevvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2010, 19:08   #47
Smithie
Super Loafer

The music business makes no sense. An excellent album like HCTB has lackluster sales. An excellent singer like Patti doesn't have a record deal. Meanwhile, Taylor Swift is selling out everywhere. I got stuck taking my little sister to her concert and she sounded awful live.
Smithie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2010, 19:34   #48
The Flying Mouse
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrevvedup View Post
If it's not there you won't get anyone wanting to spend money on it. Pearl took a long time to be discovered and is only now starting to make a tiny, but potentially large, dent in the business. Kasim has been trying for years and doesn't do that badly at all for the small group (no offence) of support he has.
Kasim is an excellent example.
He's been in the music business for years, he's a highly respected musician, yet he still goes on the road with Todd and, until recently, Meat.
Why?
Because it pays.
Millions of people know him, he has his own following, but he still doesn't have an album on a HMV shelf or a sell out concert at Wembley.
If he does a solo tour it's strictly of the small venue type.
And he's considered a success.

It's not easy for someone trying to make their way in the music business, especially when you do not fir the mold of what record companies are looking for.
The Flying Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2010, 21:15   #49
Steve6
Batman

Quote:
An excellent singer like Patti doesn't have a record deal. Meanwhile, Taylor Swift is selling out everywhere. I got stuck taking my little sister to her concert and she sounded awful live.
Maybe Patti doesn't want to go solo, and she's happy with doing what she's doing right now. It's not anyones fault that she doesn't have a record deal. You have to push for that yourself and it's not easy. Taylor Swift did, and that's why she's having a lot success.
Old 27 Oct 2010, 01:14   #50
Pudding

Quote:
You only know that there'd be thousands if you'd spoken to thousands...have you spoken to thousands of TSO fans?....I don't think you have. Has Patti ever been on tour with TSO that has visually exposed her to thousands of TSO fans? If so it was 10 years ago.

Quote:
As for Bat 3, I doubt it was Meat who rejected Patti's song. Meat dislikes most of the non-Steinman songs on Bat 3, so he clearly didn't get to pick the songs for the album. It was probably Desmond Child's choice not to include her song.
Like I've said, I don't always listen to Meat