PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages

Old 25 Aug 2019, 13:24   #1
nightinr
Super Loafer

Default New Storytellers Tour

When and where do we expect Meat to tour? Are we presuming it will just be theatres in the US or do you think he is preparing a UK tour as well?
nightinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2019, 15:24   #2
Adje
trying to be realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightinr View Post
When and where do we expect Meat to tour? Are we presuming it will just be theatres in the US or do you think he is preparing a UK tour as well?
Although it is all speculation at this point, I supose it will be in small venues/theaters. And more like the Comic Cons Q&A settings.
Although Meat is scheduled for a CC visit in Dortmund, Germany in December, I don't see him 'tour' outside the US atm.
Adje is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 25 Aug 2019, 19:55   #3
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

And, as much as he pooh-poohs the notion in his recent long Facebook post where, among other things, he explained why Caleb and the band hit the road (in short, for those who didn't read it: the band wanted to keep working, and it was Paul's idea to use Caleb after every story about his American Idol stint compared him to Meat looks-wise; Meat was never going to be part of the tour, contrary to early press)...

...I kind of think I wouldn't mind if Caleb did the singing and Meat did the storytelling. (Don't shoot. This opinion should surprise no one.)
letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2019, 04:41   #4
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightinr View Post
He said " I am hoping that I will start doing some shows this year , some storytellers type shows not too many though."

That's not a tour. So it looks as though he's dipping his toes in the water with a FEW shows, Storytellers style, and my guess would be perhaps using some dates/venues the band have booked on their US tour.

Depending on how it works out he might well look at touring, although I'd expect this style of show to be in theatres, and in the USA. Promoters in the UK see him as an arena artist, and he'd need to change that perspective .. although the onus of travel is less, and would be better. A new album might focus their minds though.

His voice is well rested .. a year ago he told me his voice was really strong again. It matters so much to him to get back to working. I'm delighted he feels he is getting there. Last week on stage in NYC he looked like a man who'd finally fought his way home But at this stage he's made it clear I think that this is a cautious start to see how things go.
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 24 Sep 2019, 22:00   #5
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Meat drops a few very interesting items in this article.

“I’m in physical therapy. I’ve gone through bankruptcy so I have to work. I’m now planning a tour. Small arena. A storyteller kind of show.”

https://pagesix.com/2019/08/28/meat-...nally-settled/
loaferman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2019, 22:17   #6
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loaferman61 View Post

“I’m in physical therapy. I’ve gone through bankruptcy so I have to work. I’m now planning a tour. Small arena. A storyteller kind of show.”

AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2019, 23:21   #7
anotherday
Super Loafer

Its PageSix.
They aren't known for their accuracy of reporting...
anotherday is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 25 Sep 2019, 02:45   #8
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherday View Post
Its PageSix.
They aren't known for their accuracy of reporting...
I realize from a few different people who I trust from our community that the reporting may not be accurate from the organization nor necessarily the reporter, but that is a quote from Meat, and I mean, it kind of makes sense - Why else would he subject himself to a tour so soon...He seems a bit too frail
still to do it just because he wants to and that's the end of it. I'm a bit concerned for his safety going out there on stage. I really hope for his sake that the article is wrong, but if it is not, that is so sad. If someone like Meat has to go bankrupt just because he couldn't work for a few years due to disability, that is tragic. I remember reading about Leonard Cohen having to go back to work due to being broke in his elder years, and I was surprised. The entire time he was doing his last decade or so of performing, i'd thought it was just because he wanted to. I think someone close to him betrayed him, such as a financial adviser? In any case, he did put out some great Art and performances in his 70's...He definitely made Lemonade. I really hope Meat does too. Be smart about this my man. Love ya...
stretch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2019, 07:59   #9
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Even if the quote is accurate, I think we need a bit more context to it to fully understand Meat's meaning. He did go through bankruptcy in the 80s so he could be saying he is driven to work to avoid going through it again. I would have thought if he had gone bankrupt for a second time that would have been made explicitly clear. Let's not jump to conclusions, eh? :)
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 25 Sep 2019, 20:22   #10
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicLord View Post
Even if the quote is accurate, I think we need a bit more context to it to fully understand Meat's meaning. He did go through bankruptcy in the 80s so he could be saying he is driven to work to avoid going through it again. I would have thought if he had gone bankrupt for a second time that would have been made explicitly clear. Let's not jump to conclusions, eh? :)
Oh totally, and I thought of that right away when I read that quote, and was (and still am) careful not to jump to too many conclusions. The reason that I am leaning towards Meat meaning he went through a recent bankruptcy is the way he worded it. Again, if the quote is, you know, *actually a quote*, then Meat does seem to indicate that this next tour that he is planning is a direct result of having to work now - with that reason being that he has gone through bankruptcy.

The other reason that lends me to believe this is plausible is that the US healthcare system is tragically terrible. It is possible that the cost of his surgeries and long stretch of being unable to work has caused bankruptcy.

Until I hear otherwise, this is the only the information I have go to on. I still treat it with a grain of salt, so please don't suggest I'm jumping to any conclusions. I am however, reading words, understanding their possible meaning, and coming to my own conclusion of what has very possibly happened. Things aren't always black and white

For my own sanity's sake, because I have heard from people say the reporting media organization is not very reputable, I will be waiting to hear from Meat directly to clear the air on the matter before I let myself 100% believe that this tragic occurrence has happened to someone so wonderful.

All the Best,
Matt

Last edited by stretch37; 25 Sep 2019 at 20:27.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 26 Sep 2019, 18:33   #11
CarylB
Mega Loafer

I think the issue is that whilst Meat may well have said during the interview "I’ve gone through bankruptcy so I have to work" that this is not necessarily directly related to "I'm now planning a tour" as the way she has chosen to link them together in her article suggests. That's always the problem with interviews .. the interviewee talks, the interviewer takes notes, and later cobbles them together to suit their article and often their assumptions, or indeed agenda. This interviewer posted a highly critical piece earlier when Meat didn't make an arranged date, despite the fact she knew he had suffered injury at a ComicCon .. I don't trust her accuracy at all.

Bankruptcy when not used by the unethical to avoid debt leaves a spectre that haunts those who have been through it .. but Meat is driven to work by other motivations imo .. work ethic and his continuing desire to perform, to keep doing what he loves to do, to be on stage and entertain. He is prudent, financially cautious, but not penniless and driven to work because he is bankrupt. However I doubt he will feel the need to make a statement to that effect because a "journalist" who is not much more than an on-line blogger has implied it

Matt says "Why else would he subject himself to a tour so soon...He seems a bit too frail"

Throughout the issues he has been battling over the past few years, he has consistently maintained a desire to get back to doing what he does and loves to do. That is who he is. When he had to stop recording Braver for his first back surgery, even when he feared he might never be able to sing again he was holding on to the idea of doing speaking tours; he NEEDS to be in front of an audience. Now, despite further punishing surgeries, he knows he can still sing.

I'm sure he knows the days of the big arena tours with him charging round a huge stage like a man possessed are gone .. but there is no reason he can't find another way of doing something he loves and that gives his life purpose, and that is what he is planning and working towards.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 26 Sep 2019, 21:31   #12
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarylB View Post
I think the issue is that whilst Meat may well have said during the interview "I’ve gone through bankruptcy so I have to work" that this is not necessarily directly related to "I'm now planning a tour" as the way she has chosen to link them together in her article suggests. That's always the problem with interviews .. the interviewee talks, the interviewer takes notes, and later cobbles them together to suit their article and often their assumptions, or indeed agenda. This interviewer posted a highly critical piece earlier when Meat didn't make an arranged date, despite the fact she knew he had suffered injury at a ComicCon .. I don't trust her accuracy at all.

Bankruptcy when not used by the unethical to avoid debt leaves a spectre that haunts those who have been through it .. but Meat is driven to work by other motivations imo .. work ethic and his continuing desire to perform, to keep doing what he loves to do, to be on stage and entertain. He is prudent, financially cautious, but not penniless and driven to work because he is bankrupt. However I doubt he will feel the need to make a statement to that effect because a "journalist" who is not much more than an on-line blogger has implied it

Matt says "Why else would he subject himself to a tour so soon...He seems a bit too frail"

Throughout the issues he has been battling over the past few years, he has consistently maintained a desire to get back to doing what he does and loves to do. That is who he is. When he had to stop recording Braver for his first back surgery, even when he feared he might never be able to sing again he was holding on to the idea of doing speaking tours; he NEEDS to be in front of an audience. Now, despite further punishing surgeries, he knows he can still sing.

I'm sure he knows the days of the big arena tours with him charging round a huge stage like a man possessed are gone .. but there is no reason he can't find another way of doing something he loves and that gives his life purpose, and that is what he is planning and working towards.
There is far too much in here to reply to while I am at work

Let me just reiterate Caryl...I do not believe this journalist at face value. But I found it concerning nonetheless. Concerning if she accidentally revealed some truth in what was obviously a tabloid-style article and what were definitely low quality journalism/sensationalism/headline-grabbing attempts. Time will tell whether some of what Meat said is the truth. I wish him nothing but safety, health, and happiness, and look forward to his shows and new album. I hope very much he is doing all of this because he *wants* to and his pain level is low enough that it enables him to go back to work. More when I'm not at work...
Old 27 Sep 2019, 05:35   #13
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

I was going to comment on this further, but realized I was writing something akin to the preamble to the Constitution trying to pre-apologize for every possible scenario so I just said screw it. Who knows what is true unless they were there? Since the internet especially so. I personally just hope to see one of these small venue shows.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 27 Sep 2019, 19:47   #14
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:
I was going to comment on this further, but realized I was writing something akin to the preamble to the Constitution trying to pre-apologize for every possible scenario so I just said screw it. Who knows what is true unless they were there? Since the internet especially so. I personally just hope to see one of these small venue shows.
That's exactly how I feel...Well said...
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 07 Oct 2019, 02:00   #15
Jaymze
Super Loafer

Default Law suit?

I’ve googled a few articles published by this ‘journalist’ and that’s a very loose use of the term. Although I hope his claims are fictitious as he seems to harbour considerable animosity towards Meat Loaf without good reason (missing interviews I do not regard as good reason). I have however came across an article in which a ruling stated parties were to pay their own legal fees about the AFL plagiarism suit:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/meat...wsuit-settled/

I sincerely hope if there is any truth in poor excuse for journalism that Meat Loaf comes out of this fine.
Jaymze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2019, 02:31   #16
mdhrln
Rookie

Default dont buy it

I dont buy it, Meat Loaf has been an in demand performer since 93, would be getting union benefits from his singing and acting. Plus recieve medicare from the government.
mdhrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2019, 23:53   #17
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymze View Post
I’ve googled a few articles published by this ‘journalist’ and that’s a very loose use of the term. Although I hope his claims are fictitious as he seems to harbour considerable animosity towards Meat Loaf without good reason (missing interviews I do not regard as good reason). I have however came across an article in which a ruling stated parties were to pay their own legal fees about the AFL plagiarism suit:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/meat...wsuit-settled/

I sincerely hope if there is any truth in poor excuse for journalism that Meat Loaf comes out of this fine.
I thought the writer was a woman.
Old 08 Oct 2019, 23:59   #18
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhrln View Post
I dont buy it, Meat Loaf has been an in demand performer since 93, would be getting union benefits from his singing and acting. Plus recieve medicare from the government.
I don't think their was any indication that he is destitute. Isn't his wife an attorney? Here in the US long stays in the hospital can cost literally a million or more. I think Meat was in for 30 days last time. There are so many technicalities involved it may come down to just how high those medical bills were. Medical bankruptcies as a general statement are quite common.
Old 09 Oct 2019, 21:28   #19
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:
I don't think their was any indication that he is destitute. Isn't his wife an attorney? Here in the US long stays in the hospital can cost literally a million or more. I think Meat was in for 30 days last time. There are so many technicalities involved it may come down to just how high those medical bills were. Medical bankruptcies as a general statement are quite common.
That's exactly the point I had been trying to make before I was kind of bashed into silence. Thank you for explaining that better than I did.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 09 Oct 2019, 22:39   #20
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch37 View Post
That's exactly the point I had been trying to make before I was kind of bashed into silence. Thank you for explaining that better than I did.
While that is just my theorizing, I think it just shows that under the current US Healthcare system very few are immune from the specter of losing their life's savings because they get sick. Might be Meat's case, just as well may not be. But I assume even people we think of as famous and/or wealthy can be about as likely as the average working Joe to have to file. Meat is really a working Joe himself, he just has a different type of work. I had a feeling many people especially in countries with different healthcare systems might not understand. So really if he did take bankruptcy it was a smart move, he protects his main assets and gets a clean start. There is absolutely no shame in it, and I just felt like some here may think there was.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 18 Oct 2019, 16:46   #21
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
I don't think their was any indication that he is destitute. Isn't his wife an attorney?
No, Deborah was in PR :)
Old 20 Oct 2019, 10:56   #22
nightinr
Super Loafer

When can we expect the UK tour to be announced? Are we expecting it in 2020 before the new record or after?

I suspect Meat may be persuaded to play the arenas rather than the smaller venues.
nightinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2019, 02:44   #23
proctorloaf
Super Loafer

Meat has already teased a Birmingham arena concert in 2020 - tbc.
proctorloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2019, 16:24   #24
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by proctorloaf View Post
Meat has already teased a Birmingham arena concert in 2020 - tbc.
I like your attitude 😊 here's hoping he's feeling up for that. I did just hear him on a recent interview saying he wasn't ready to tour yet, but he will be working in his album because he has something left to say. Come to think of it, I'm not sure exactly when the interview is from.

Edit...Ah, it's this one. https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-95-daybreak-alberta/clip/15741043-daybreak-hour-3

Looks like it aired Oct 12. I mean I suppose, and this is pure speculation, that he could be choosing to keep any planned shows a secret until the details are finalized?

Last edited by stretch37; 21 Oct 2019 at 16:30.