mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages » Coupe de Ville

Old 16 Dec 2011, 04:07   #1
melon
Long Distance Loafer

Default RIAA GOLD RECORD LP AWARD - PRESENTED TO MEAT LOAF - found on Ebay

Just wondering, because of the price of this, is it legit? Also, is it possibly one of the stolen items?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MEAT-LOAF...item19cbc7f972

Last edited by melon; 16 Dec 2011 at 04:13.
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2011, 13:10   #2
Kev
Just Kev

Looks real to me. We've quite a few of these here presented to Townsend Records and our MD etc. Ours are the UK ones of course, but they tend to follow the same official format.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEAT-LOAF-BA...-/120704948950 - another.
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2011, 13:42   #3
melon
Long Distance Loafer

Wow, if only I had a few bucks.
Old 16 Dec 2011, 16:21   #4
Tri.somethin
Banned

Anyoen want to buy me a really nice xmas present? XD
Tri.somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2012, 02:41   #5
BoyBehindBars
Rookie

Default Bat sales award

Unfortunately I haven't seen this thread earlier...but I hope none of you bought this award. It is not legit.

1. it has the wrong label. There was no such thing as a red label. The first Bat label was orange.
2. the font on the plaque is not authentic.
3. the frame has not the usual red primer used unter the gold paint. Usually, it always shines through.
4. the sticker on the back of the award says that it was made by the frame shop New York Frame&Picture. Indeed, the real awards were manufactured by a framer named Creative Glassics. Even though there were Bat awards by NY F&P the would have other frames.

On the attached link you can see an authentic Bat award. So you can compare the differences.

As far as I know Meat doesn't care much about his sales awards (neither does Steinman) but he still owns his RIAA gold award for Bat.

I am an award collector and I'd really love to make some contacts here. Maybe some of you share the same hobby.
Currently I have two 12xplatinum RIAA awards for Bat and two 4xplatinum for Bat II and I'd like to trade them.

http://honormusicawards.com/meat-loa...ues/#more-1477
BoyBehindBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2012, 06:20   #6
melon
Long Distance Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyBehindBars View Post
Unfortunately I haven't seen this thread earlier...but I hope none of you bought this award. It is not legit.

1. it has the wrong label. There was no such thing as a red label. The first Bat label was orange.
2. the font on the plaque is not authentic.
3. the frame has not the usual red primer used unter the gold paint. Usually, it always shines through.
4. the sticker on the back of the award says that it was made by the frame shop New York Frame&Picture. Indeed, the real awards were manufactured by a framer named Creative Glassics. Even though there were Bat awards by NY F&P the would have other frames.

On the attached link you can see an authentic Bat award. So you can compare the differences.

As far as I know Meat doesn't care much about his sales awards (neither does Steinman) but he still owns his RIAA gold award for Bat.

I am an award collector and I'd really love to make some contacts here. Maybe some of you share the same hobby.
Currently I have two 12xplatinum RIAA awards for Bat and two 4xplatinum for Bat II and I'd like to trade them.

http://honormusicawards.com/meat-loa...ues/#more-1477
Thanks, definately not purchased by me! I don't have that sort of money anyway!

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Forum Runner
Old 10 Sep 2012, 16:35   #7
The Flying Mouse
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
Thanks, definately not purchased by me! I don't have that sort of money anyway!
Do you remember what it went for?

It's a nice enough placebo piece.
The owner will get a lot of pleasure from that disc, just so long as the poor ~~~~~~ doesn't read this thread
The Flying Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2012, 16:50   #8
melon
Long Distance Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Mouse View Post

Do you remember what it went for?

It's a nice enough placebo piece.
The owner will get a lot of pleasure from that disc, just so long as the poor ~~~~~~ doesn't read this thread
It was 1 or 2 thousand from memory, was definately a 4 figure sum

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Forum Runner
Old 10 Sep 2012, 18:43   #9
The Flying Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
It was 1 or 2 thousand from memory, was definately a 4 figure sum

Right, i'm, errrrrrrr, just off down to the shed with my record collection, a tin of gold car paint, and an assortment of picture frames
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 10 Sep 2012, 19:36   #10
Sebastian.
Biggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Mouse View Post
Right, i'm, errrrrrrr, just off down to the shed with my record collection, a tin of gold car paint, and an assortment of picture frames
A piece of toast that look like the Virgin Mary sold for $28,000. So take a toaster as well.
Sebastian. is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 10 Sep 2012, 19:57   #11
The Flying Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
A piece of toast that look like the Virgin Mary sold for $28,000. So take a toaster as well.
I don't know, toast is kind of yummy
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 12 Sep 2012, 10:04   #12
BoyBehindBars
Rookie

Yes, indeed. I was thinking about writing the comment anyway...
As far as I remember it went for 550 euros. Although it is less than the half of the original price (seller offered me the award for 1300 euros!!! before putting it on ebay) but still a lot of money, even for a real award.
Perhaps some people have wrong imaginations about the value of a real industry award. One example: I bought a Canadian platinum award from 1978 for about 60 dollars. Shipping was almost as much as the award itself....=)
Old 12 Sep 2012, 15:48   #13
Monstro
Promoted to Wario's spellchecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyBehindBars View Post
Perhaps some people have wrong imaginations about the value of a real industry award. One example: I bought a Canadian platinum award from 1978 for about 60 dollars. Shipping was almost as much as the award itself....=)
Depends, they're worth what the purchaser is willing to pay for them, I've never bought any memorabilia thinking about a resale value only thinking about how much I personally want something for my pleasure.

As far as "real value" goes I'm sure I've got stuff cheap as much as I'm sure I've overpaid for other items. Then again I'm a Meat Loaf collector not a music memorabilia collector with an eye on a profit.
Monstro is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 12 Sep 2012, 20:13   #14
BoyBehindBars
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstro View Post
Depends, they're worth what the purchaser is willing to pay for them, I've never bought any memorabilia thinking about a resale value only thinking about how much I personally want something for my pleasure.

As far as "real value" goes I'm sure I've got stuff cheap as much as I'm sure I've overpaid for other items. Then again I'm a Meat Loaf collector not a music memorabilia collector with an eye on a profit.
Yes,that's absolutely right. It is about the personal value and not the price tagged on it by others. Just like you I bought both overpriced and quite cheap memorabilia. But everytime I look at the overpaid awards I never think about the price, I am delighted by these unique pieces of memorabilia and don't regret having bought them.
2 Users Like This Post.