mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages » Lost Boys and Golden Girls

Old 14 May 2008, 07:25   #26
citydweller
Loafer

I keep telling myself I have to draw the line somewhere. Then I think I do, but I must be using some sort of invisible ink and then I forget where that line is I justified this one because of the incredible need this charity struggles to fulfill.............but in all honesty, I really wanted to see the show. This one was so close I could even walk home. No tolls, no airlines, no passport woes or customs officials. It was a rare opportunity I couldn't pass up!

Rob Evan opened the show with the song, "Oh What A Night," and was joined on stage one by one by each of the performers. The show included songs from Jersey Boys, Les Mis, Jekyll and Hyde, Wcked, Sound of Music, and Phantom of the Opera. Patti sang two numbers. She had the opportunity to sing the song "No Fence Around My Heart" again, which she sang at the China Club for the preview of Neil Berg's newest production, The Twelve. The audience loved it. There's a youtube version floating around and I thought THAT was good (the performance, not the camera work ). Tonight's performance of that song was even more outstanding and people couldn't seem to say enough how much they loved it. Rob Evan sang "This is the Moment," from Jekyll and Hyde. I have seen a few versions of this one, as well, but nothing compared to what I had the pleasure of hearing from him or really any of these performers tonight. He also sang a duet with Danny Zolli of the Simon and Garfunkel song, "Bridge Over Troubled Water." That was spectacular!

And now for Patti's other song

Are you sure you want this????

Don't continue unless you're sure.

Ready??????????????????

So Patti sings Steinman and she was there.............

And Rob Evan has been known to sing a little Steinman, too. And he was there.............

Put 'em together and what do you get??????

No, not alchemy (wrong show )

I guess what you have are the makings for a fine Steinman duet. There are so many to choose from. But that Neil Berg, he just couldn't resist.

That's right, they did it.........

THEY SANG PARADISE BY THE DASHBOARD LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just to put everyone's mind at ease, she hasn't forgotten how to sing it.
citydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2008, 08:49   #27
Monstro
Promoted to Wario's spellchecker

Sounds like it was well worth going, glad you had such a good time and thanks for sharing!!!

As if Patti would forget lol
Monstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2008, 09:10   #28
Battybarb
Nutty Tart From Hell

Sounds like a really great show,thanks for posting,glad you enjoyed yourself..
Battybarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2008, 09:48   #29
Deb
Mega Loafer

OMG lol that would have been well worth my airfare My invisible line vanished LONG ago lol.

You couldnt not go to this one Steph It'd be like them playing Knewbworth and me not going

Did you manage to use the camera

I wonder if all 3 shows will be the same or if they'll do another Steinman duet lol
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2008, 09:59   #30
RadioMaster
The German

RadioMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2008, 18:15   #31
Ma.Ra
Trekkie

Will be any kind of records available?
Ma.Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2008, 19:26   #32
Steingirl
Super Loafer

Sounds awesome, Steph. I love "No Fence Around My Heart" and it would definitely be interesting to see the staging of Paradise. How did Rob sound singing that song? Any photos?
Steingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2008, 19:47   #33
AndyK
Relentless

How did I miss this? Thanks for the review Steph! Sounds like an awesome show!
AndyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2008, 20:47   #34
MeatGrl1
No Day But Today

Location:  Sitting on the steps outside looking so restless and reckless and lost!

!!
MeatGrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2008, 22:46   #35
citydweller
Loafer

Okay, a bit delayed, but here it is (still trying to track down some pics):

Setlist from Broadway Night of Stars 2008 benefit for Covenant House PA, May 13 and Covenant House NJ, May 14 and May 15.

December 1963 (Oh, What a Night)
From Jersey Boys
Rob Evan joined by all performers

This Is the Moment
From Jekyll & Hyde
Rob Evan

The Point of No Return
From Phantom of the Opera
Rita Harvey

I Dreamed a Dream
From Les Miserables
Andrea Rivette

Scenes From an Italian Restaurant
From Movin’ Out
Danny Zolli

I Am Changing
From Dreamgirls
Capathia Jenkins

Unchained Melody
Paul Hill

Paradise By the Dashboard Light
Jim Steinman
Patti Russo and Rob Evan

Tap performance and variation on My Favorite Things
From Sound of Music
Ted Levy

Far From the Home I Love
From Fiddler On the Roof
Rita Harvey

The Wizard and I
From Wicked
Andrea Rivette

Cabaret
From Cabaret
Capathia Jenkins

Believe
Written and performed by Paul Hill (this moving song can be heard on Paul’s myspace page. Go here to listen: http://www.myspace.com/paulhillsings )

No Fence Around My Heart
From The Twelve
Patti Russo (slowed it down a bit and this version was magnificent!)

Bridge Over Troubled Water
Simon and Garfunkel
Danny Zolli and Rob Evan

Personal stories shared by several former residents of Covenant House followed by musical and dance performances to the song “Stronger” by kids from all three Covenant Houses – Newark, Atlantic City, and Philadelphia

Love Changes Everything
From Aspects of Love
All performers

It was a moving night with brilliant performances and music chosen especially for its power to inspire. With the themes of hope, love, and home, several former residents of Covenant House shared their stories of how this special place and the people who work there brought those three things into their lives. The performers gave their all, many of them performing the showstopper songs for which they are best known, with a few old favorites thrown in. Neil Berg entertained the audience with stories and set up many of the songs with a synopsis of the emotional scene from which they were taken. He accompanied on piano for all songs, and was joined by Dan Walker on keyboard, Greg Lykins on guitar, Alan Greene on bass, and Roger Cohen on drums.
Old 26 May 2008, 09:20   #36
Deb
Mega Loafer

Thanks for that Steph I know you put a LOT of hard work into that setlist

Hope you track down the pics

Funny how most of the other songs are from Broadway shows. How did they come up with Paradise lol.

Deb
Old 01 Jun 2008, 20:00   #37
djfierce
Mega Loafer

sorry for the delay, didnt wanna post till i read everything, sounds like a really cool show Steph, dont think it wouldve matterered too much where you sat, just to be there mustve been cool.
djfierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2008, 23:27   #38
citydweller
Loafer

Thanks, guys. Neil Berg introduced each performer and the show from which their song came, but never the song title. So yes, itunes and I spent a good bit of time trying to figure out song titles. Just wanted it to be accurate for ya, Deb!

And as for where I sat, Anji, here's a funny twist. At the Borgata show, I was shown to my seat, a decent one somewhere in the 8th or 9th row. A very polite gentleman took the usher aside and a discussion occurred where clearly there was a problem with my seat. The usher took me to another empty seat and asked me to wait there for a few minutes while she sorted something out. She returned with the executive director of Covenant House NJ who asked me if I would mind switching my seat if she could find a better one for me? It was a charity event, so I assured her there was no problem and I could sit anywhere. Later I found out they needed my aisle seat for someone who was handicapped. But THAT is how I ended up in the front row trying to blend in with the other representatives of the big companies sponsoring the event

Not quite so lucky at the Philadelphia event, but the venue was much smaller and every seat had a perfect view. I was seated next to a woman who introduced herself as a member of the Order of St. Something or other. I had noticed there were, in fact, a large number of clergy present in the audience. I was having a lovely conversation with this Sister about many things, the mission of Covenant House, what it's like to be the principal of a Catholic School (her, not me ). Just general chit-chat before the show began. Of course all of these thoughts would cross my mind again as Neil Berg played the first notes of Paradise By the Dashboard Light and my entire body tensed up as the thought went through my mind, "Oh no they're not!!" So Deb, I assure you it was completely Neil Berg's decision to perform the song about hormone charged teenagers at this event and thankfully, the audience loved it!. Of course there weren't quite as many people singing along like there are at all the ML concerts. Also, much to my relief as I sat next to the Catholic school contingent, blessedly, they skipped the baseball part.

These are annual events and I hope Patti and Rob both return in the years to come. What would be really great is if they could tap into some of Jim's other songs that might even contribute to the themes of home and belonging. Anything from Whistle Down the Wind, in fact, would be incredible to hear. If Jim's spent his career writing songs about Lost Boys and Girls, I can assure you those are exactly the children this organization is trying to help. My vote's for Home By Now/No Matter What or The Vaults of Heaven!
Old 04 Jun 2008, 23:55   #39
Pudding
I'm A Prize Fight Lover...

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
What would be really great is if they could tap into some of Jim's other songs that might even contribute to the themes of home and belonging. Anything from Whistle Down the Wind, in fact, would be incredible to hear. If Jim's spent his career writing songs about Lost Boys and Girls, I can assure you those are exactly the children this organization is trying to help. My vote's for Home By Now/No Matter What or The Vaults of Heaven!
What would've been fantastic is if The Dream Engine hadn't fallen flat on its ass and they did tours with special guest and Patti being one of those guests. Such is life I guess

Pud
Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2008, 00:52   #40
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudding View Post
What would've been fantastic is if The Dream Engine hadn't fallen flat on its ass and they did tours with special guest and Patti being one of those guests. Such is life I guess

Pud
and someone who could add drama and passion??? unlike rob evan
duke knooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2008, 09:20   #41
Deb
Mega Loafer

LOL that seating problem is the kind of things dreams are made of Steph

OMG you'd have had to cover that nuns eyes and ears if they'd done the make out scene. Although it would have gave Patti a bit of practice for the upcoming tour lol. Don't want her being rusty

Just wish I could have been there with you

Deb
Old 05 Jun 2008, 09:42   #42
RadioMaster
The German

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
LOL that seating problem is the kind of things dreams are made of Steph

OMG you'd have had to cover that nuns eyes and ears if they'd done the make out scene. Although it would have gave Patti a bit of practice for the upcoming tour lol. Don't want her being rusty

Just wish I could have been there with you

Deb
but the question is, would patti want to make out with rob?
(i wouldnt lol)
RadioMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2008, 09:49   #43
Deb
Mega Loafer

I'm gonna refrain from answering that for obvious reasons lolol
Old 05 Jun 2008, 09:52   #44
AndyK
Relentless

Your silence and self control speak volumes Des!
AndyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2008, 11:15   #45
Deb
Mega Loafer

Old 07 Jun 2008, 22:14   #46
djfierce
Mega Loafer

Sounds really cool Steph, yep that seating problem is way better than the ones experienced over here recently lolol
djfierce is offline   Reply With Quote