Old 29 Aug 2019, 05:02   #26
anotherday
Super Loafer

Also sad to see Jim in such a poor state
anotherday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2019, 06:15   #27
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

On a lighter note, it'd be interesting to see Meat duet with Lorraine Crosby or -- funnily enough, given many of this thread's suggestions -- with Bonnie, something he wanted to maybe fit in on the last album and didn't get to do. Maybe that can be accomplished this time around?
letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2019, 17:11   #28
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgotoofar View Post
The new song he refers to, "Sun in Your Eyes," is one I discuss above. Dates from the late Sixties/early Seventies, though the demo he had may have been of a newer version Jim reportedly recorded when he was in better shape. It's "new" like, say, "Going All the Way" or "It Just Won't Quit" were "new."
Probably this. With Jim defining what exactly is a "new" song is difficult, and I am not saying that as though it were a bad thing. There are some pretty poor quality recordings from around 1970-ish and it wasn't that great. But given Jim's recycling of things and if he dabbled with it all since 1970-ish it may be better. Part of the fun with Steinman is you never know what he may have in a file someplace.
loaferman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 30 Aug 2019, 14:12   #29
Danny L
Super Loafer

To be fair though most of the songs from Braver Than We Are were demoed in the 1970s (Who Needs The Young JS wrote when he was 19)
Danny L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2019, 19:32   #30
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

About half of them, yes. Per the fan who gave Meat a new copy of the song since he'd lost his, however, it's based in part on a newer demo mentioned here by Jim's assistant Jacqueline in 2011.
Old 30 Aug 2019, 19:47   #31
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Quote:
About half of them, yes. Per the fan who gave Meat a new copy of the song since he'd lost his, however, it's based in part on a newer demo mentioned here by Jim's assistant Jacqueline in 2011.
That is what I have always thought. Especially when he is healthy, Jim may always be tinkering about with stuff he may have originally written 30 years ago. He recycles from his own work enough to show that. I suspect Jim has jotted down notes on the back of a napkin that would be better than 90% of the garbage they play on a 10 song loop on the "today's hits" radio.
loaferman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2019, 19:38   #32
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

As long as they're still scouring Jim's demos, and this album is supposed to be a concept piece about emotions, why not "Smoke Song"? It's definitely nakedly emotional, very dark, and the lyrics don't need any special alteration to become a solo. If "Who Needs the Young" (equally dark and emotional) could open the last record, this at least merits a spot somewhere on this one. (Really, the only thing that might hold it back is the chorus having a similar chord progression to "More," but if that ever stopped Meat from recording Jim material, we wouldn't have most of the Jim stuff he's recorded since 1993.)
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 06 Sep 2019, 13:43   #33
FrancineCyclesTheUS
Junior Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherday View Post
AHHHHHHHHHHH!

HES DOING BODY!!!!!!

https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmenter...AsodyVamvAJLEo

And a NEW Jim song?!
!!!!!! I am so happy!!
FrancineCyclesTheUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2019, 23:17   #34
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherday View Post
Also sad to see Jim in such a poor state
See where? Far as I've known he's had some struggles in recent years but it hasn't gotten worse recently - he seems to post on his new twitter account (or at least some of the tweets sound like Jim wrote them himself, E.g., All caps lol). Then again, I'm not on the up and up...So Just curious what's going on. I love Jim and his genius creations...Hopefully he's well enough to be involved with Meat's new album, even if it is jotting some lyrics down on napkins and letting Paul and the band do the heavy lifting.
stretch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2019, 17:04   #35
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch37 View Post
See where? Far as I've known he's had some struggles in recent years but it hasn't gotten worse recently - he seems to post on his new twitter account (or at least some of the tweets sound like Jim wrote them himself, E.g., All caps lol).
Emphasis mine.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 10 Sep 2019, 00:51   #36
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Never knew Steinman had a Twitter. He seems to have forgotten about his two Facebook accounts. At least that has led to people mostly stopping to randomly tag him in nonsense unrelated posts for suiting their own self importance. Bunch of twats who kept doing that.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 10 Sep 2019, 00:57   #37
proctorloaf
Super Loafer

I like to think that my post (originally posted in another thread was the catalyst for this new album) although of course I know it wasn't lol.

Post below:

I'd love to think that there could be one more album...

I've written the track list for what it could be and included 5 tracks of songs I've written(*). The concept is very much characters in their twilight years. Down with the ship is a Captain remembering is favourite sea voyage, Bring me my Sword; a old knight riding into what he knows will be is last battle etc...

Here's the track list. What do you think?

Meat Loaf - 

The Graveyard Shift 

The Graveyard Shift
Lone Wolf*

Making Love out of Nothing at All
You’ve Got to Love me with the Sun in your Eyes (until you go blind)

Down with the Ship*

What Part of My Body Hurts the Most?
Vaults of Heaven
Bring me my Sword*

Death of a Salesman*
City Night Feat Ellen Foley

Tonight is what it means to be Young

Not Allowed to Love
Losing My Grip*

We’re Still the Children Feat Ellen Foley, Karla Devito, Patti Russo, Mrs Loud, Bonnie Tyler, Todd Rundgren and Rory Dodd
proctorloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2019, 09:15   #38
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by proctorloaf View Post
I like to think that my post (originally posted in another thread was the catalyst for this new album) although of course I know it wasn't lol.

Post below:

I'd love to think that there could be one more album...

I've written the track list for what it could be and included 5 tracks of songs I've written(*). The concept is very much characters in their twilight years. Down with the ship is a Captain remembering is favourite sea voyage, Bring me my Sword; a old knight riding into what he knows will be is last battle etc...

Here's the track list. What do you think?

Meat Loaf - 

The Graveyard Shift 

The Graveyard Shift
Lone Wolf*

Making Love out of Nothing at All
You’ve Got to Love me with the Sun in your Eyes (until you go blind)

Down with the Ship*

What Part of My Body Hurts the Most?
Vaults of Heaven
Bring me my Sword*

Death of a Salesman*
City Night Feat Ellen Foley

Tonight is what it means to be Young

Not Allowed to Love
Losing My Grip*

We’re Still the Children Feat Ellen Foley, Karla Devito, Patti Russo, Mrs Loud, Bonnie Tyler, Todd Rundgren and Rory Dodd
Like the Steinman choices but Bonnie should also be the duet partner on Body.
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Sep 2019, 01:43   #39
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Emphasis mine.
I wondered if someone was responsible for taking what Jim would like to share and posting for him as part of his team. If you are part of his team, thanks so much for getting the word out. It's great to read something new from Jim

Last edited by stretch37; 11 Sep 2019 at 01:54.
Old 12 Sep 2019, 03:47   #40
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

Oh, dear me... I'm not at all from the team (though I'd argue I virtually was for at least three years back in the early aughts, contrary to what fellow fans may believe), but I am in a position to know that not all of the tweets are him, I'll tell you that much.
Old 13 Sep 2019, 23:18   #41
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Oh, dear me... I'm not at all from the team (though I'd argue I virtually was for at least three years back in the early aughts, contrary to what fellow fans may believe), but I am in a position to know that not all of the tweets are him, I'll tell you that much.
sorry, I think I misunderstood what you meant. That's very interesting though, and it makes sense. Heck, even all of Meat's aren't his own. It's easy to tell when they are not based on grammar alone :P I am happy that you seem to think at least some tweets are Jim's though, great that he can still get the word out after I'd noticed him going pretty quiet on Facebook for awhile.
Old 14 Sep 2019, 04:53   #42
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

...or are made to look like Jim's...
Old 14 Sep 2019, 13:01   #43
proctorloaf
Super Loafer

Have to admit that they sound awesome together on A Kiss is a Terrible thing to waste!

Quote:
On a lighter note, it'd be interesting to see Meat duet with Lorraine Crosby or -- funnily enough, given many of this thread's suggestions -- with Bonnie, something he wanted to maybe fit in on the last album and didn't get to do. Maybe that can be accomplished this time around?
Old 14 Sep 2019, 18:54   #44
proctorloaf
Super Loafer

I hope that What Part of my Body Hurts the Most is not a duet. After recent years, it would be such a personal song which Meat could really put his experience into the character.

Like Jonny Cash's hurt. It would be a poignant comment on the world today.

The songs in the musical were only shared out amongst the cast, because no normal person can sing those songs 8 times a week. The fact it took 6 people to sing Anything for Love, shows just what a powerhouse genius Meat Loaf really is!
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 17 Sep 2019, 22:23   #45
FrancineCyclesTheUS
Junior Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by proctorloaf View Post
I hope that What Part of my Body Hurts the Most is not a duet. After recent years, it would be such a personal song which Meat could really put his experience into the character.

Like Jonny Cash's hurt. It would be a poignant comment on the world today.

The songs in the musical were only shared out amongst the cast, because no normal person can sing those songs 8 times a week. The fact it took 6 people to sing Anything for Love, shows just what a powerhouse genius Meat Loaf really is!
Yes, I think Body is perfect as a duet in the musical,
but on 13 Roads To Bat it was greater to have it sung by Meat alone.
It will sound fantastic...
FrancineCyclesTheUS is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 18 Sep 2019, 13:36   #46
Mr. Happy

For me, the two essential elements of a great Steinman/Meat Loaf song are the piano and the backing vocals. The piano is the lead harmonic instrument, even if it's not the only instrument, and the backing vocals are treated as a separate instrument with distinct parts/melodies rather than just being oohs/aahs. Obviously there's exceptions to that, but generally it greats a raw but powerful sound when done well.

With that in mind, I don't think there's been an arrangement yet that beats the original What Part of My Body. It's just a guy with a great voice singing over a great piece of music with the support of well-arranged, complimentary backing vocals. The Bat musical version is great too, but the duet part and the horns and the strings and everything don't really add anything to the song. I'd love to hear Meat sing Body alone at the piano with his older, weathered voice, along with maybe some tactful BVs like in the original Dream Engine version. I think a simple piano/vocal performance of a song as good as Body would serve as a really beautiful capstone for his career, seeing as Going All The Way apparently isn't that anymore.
Mr. Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 21 Sep 2019, 14:15   #47
proctorloaf
Super Loafer

I totally agree. What we have lost in music generally is the backing vocals. People singing together. it's a key Steinman style. It makes all music better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Happy View Post
For me, the two essential elements of a great Steinman/Meat Loaf song are the piano and the backing vocals. The piano is the lead harmonic instrument, even if it's not the only instrument, and the backing vocals are treated as a separate instrument with distinct parts/melodies rather than just being oohs/aahs. Obviously there's exceptions to that, but generally it greats a raw but powerful sound when done well.

With that in mind, I don't think there's been an arrangement yet that beats the original What Part of My Body. It's just a guy with a great voice singing over a great piece of music with the support of well-arranged, complimentary backing vocals. The Bat musical version is great too, but the duet part and the horns and the strings and everything don't really add anything to the song. I'd love to hear Meat sing Body alone at the piano with his older, weathered voice, along with maybe some tactful BVs like in the original Dream Engine version. I think a simple piano/vocal performance of a song as good as Body would serve as a really beautiful capstone for his career, seeing as Going All The Way apparently isn't that anymore.
Old 22 Sep 2019, 23:37   #48
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

I thought some of the backing vocals really don't sound right on the last few albums. Not sure why they are recorded the way they are. They sound very strange to me.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 22 Sep 2019, 23:41   #49
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I thought some of the backing vocals really don't sound right on the last few albums. Not sure why they are recorded the way they are. They sound very strange to me.
The backing vocals add a lot of the drama and emotion and impact for me. I think a lot of producers see them as just ooohs and ahhhs but done well they are so much more than that... a powerful instrument in their own right. Same with the piano. So much more than just a tinkling of the ivories... it is key to Steinman music.
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 15 Oct 2019, 06:31   #50
proctorloaf
Super Loafer

Meat's planning to sing a song written for him by Dolly Parton. Will we finally get Bat out of Nashville?
2 Users Like This Post.