mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » Tyre Tracks & Broken Hearts

Old 08 Jul 2003, 22:15   #1
White of High
Nature's Siegfried

Default 79. Tear Me Down

This is the START OUT OF HELL & ARRIVE TO HEAVEN topic.
Let's Go to Rock 'n' Roll!!!!!!

Tear Me Down (7)

This song is a cover of an Hedwig & The Angry Inch song. You can find some differences between the lines. I have to say the Hedwig version is a little bit better cause Meat's voice is very raw. The melody is good but I don't like the speech in the middle of the song. Hey Meat! Are you an exhibition?

I think Meat has sholud covered Wig In A Box by Hedwig cause that is so much better...

My score: 7

Average: 8.61 (163.5/19)
White of High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2003, 22:24   #2
Taipan
Junior Loafer

not sure about this one...the speech in the middle, whilst amusing to meat's existing fans, doesn't really do much for anyone else...it comes across as being a bit self-promotional. other than that, i really enjoy the song.

so, 8/10 for the song, deduct 2 for the speaking...

6/10
Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2003, 22:35   #3
mariella
Mega Loafer

Really like to play this song VERY loud. Reminds me of the first time I heard it at Hyde Park. My first concert.
A song that can really 'lift me up' when I am not feeling to good.
And make me feel 'even better', when I am feeling good!

Great song, not too crazy about the 'speaking-part', but that is 'fun' on stage.

8,5/10

Mariella
mariella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2003, 23:16   #4
Cathie
Sweet But Sadistic

I think that the song itself is good but i don't like the speaking part, it makes the song sound like an advert. I'd rather hear Meat sing than the woman talk. Meat, of course, sounds great.
7/10
Cathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2003, 23:42   #5
Michel
Mega Loafer

Great song. I absolutely like this one. Great melody and great tekst. The spoken part is funny.

My score: 8/9
Michel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2003, 00:31   #6
Testify
ragamuffin

8/10. i like it. simple as that
Testify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2003, 00:36   #7
Tim
The Butcher

isn't it more euh... how do you say it..... isn't it better to wait a while to rate these songs, cause the album is only in stores for a couple of months.... so.... just my humble no commentary advice???

Tim
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2003, 02:30   #8
Evan
Super Loafer

This is an average song. I consider it to be better then anything else on "Couldn't Have Said It Better" however. John Cameron Mitchell's (Hedwig) version is much better and musically there's no comparison between the too, JCM's has much more of a punk rock live concert vibe to it, while I find Meat's version very complicated musically, especially coming out of the monologue. Also, I'll add that JCM's version has the chorus of "enemies and adversaries, they try and tear me down" while Meat's for some reason changed to the dreadful "and I'm easy and I'm serious" which just sounds ridiculous. I don't mind that Steve Trask changed the song to fit it to Meat's story, but changing the chorus ruined it for me.

6/10
Just for the record, I give JCM's version 10/10.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2003, 13:28   #9
Puritan
Super Loafer

Well I have never heard the original Hedwig & The Angry Inch version - if I had perhaps I would feel differently

I think this is a great song performed live - I saw it last summer in Hyde Park and Cardiff and was very impressed. The spoken part was perfect for a live performance when the crowd is pumped up.

Must admit that the studio version does not quite have the same impact and I can understand some of the above comments about the spoken part in that context.

However I still think it is one of the better tracks on the album. I give it 8 out of 10
Puritan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2003, 15:40   #10
Crystal Eyes
Super Loafer

Never heard the Hedwig version so i can't compare.
Meat loaf's version is great though and I like the speaking part. I almost always feel like playing it.
My score 9/10
Crystal Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2003, 19:20   #11
Em
Super Loafer

Not keen on the version on the cd. Liked it much better when he performed it on the janice long show on radio 2 perhaps its' better live.
Really like the first part but do not like the spoken bit, in fact I find the voice of the speaker irritating and now I usually skip this bit.

Quote:
Also, I'll add that JCM's version has the chorus of "enemies and adversaries, they try and tear me down" while Meat's for some reason changed to the dreadful "and I'm easy and I'm serious" which just sounds ridiculous
I agree with this, the original words make much more sense.

7/10 for the first bit and 1/10 for the spoken bit so that makes 4/10 for the whole song.
Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2003, 16:38   #12
Bren
The Bat

This was good performed live at Hyde Park, but when listening to the Cd I find myself wanting to skip the spoken part.personal thing ,i hate songs that have spoken parts to them.I don't mind poetry /verse,included as in Left in the dark, Took the words...that's fine,but this!!!Does not appeal at all. The rest off the song is fine.

Bren
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2003, 00:24   #13
Michel
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
isn't it more euh... how do you say it..... isn't it better to wait a while to rate these songs, cause the album is only in stores for a couple of months.... so.... just my humble no commentary advice???

Tim
That's the reason why I put a question in the topic "The Standing", Tim.
Michel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2003, 03:21   #14
Vickip
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Eyes
Meat loaf's version is great though and I like the speaking part. I almost always feel like playing it.
My score 9/10
I definitely agree with you Crystal Eyes :)
I really enjoy the CD version .... but it's really fantastic live ! I got hooked on it when I first heard him sing it at the Allentown State fair in Pennsylvania last year
My score : 9/10 (CD) 10/10 (Live)

Vicki
Vickip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2003, 04:29   #15
Shane
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan
This is an average song. I consider it to be better then anything else on "Couldn't Have Said It Better" however. John Cameron Mitchell's (Hedwig) version is much better and musically there's no comparison between the too, JCM's has much more of a punk rock live concert vibe to it, while I find Meat's version very complicated musically, especially coming out of the monologue. Also, I'll add that JCM's version has the chorus of "enemies and adversaries, they try and tear me down" while Meat's for some reason changed to the dreadful "and I'm easy and I'm serious" which just sounds ridiculous. I don't mind that Steve Trask changed the song to fit it to Meat's story, but changing the chorus ruined it for me.

6/10
Just for the record, I give JCM's version 10/10.
I listened to the Hedwig version a couple of days ago. I prefer the guitars on the original, but otherwise I prefer Meat's version.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2003, 20:33   #16
dottie
queen post- whore extraordinaire

Definetly one for a live performance - 8/10
dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2003, 13:21   #17
Wild_Honey
Super Loafer

10/10
Wild_Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2003, 04:21   #18
heat
Rampant Loafer...

I really like this one - 8/10
heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2003, 15:22   #19
Jayd
If I could bust into hell....... I would

Great song and I like the spoken part. How is it advertising when you have already got the album, listen to the story of it.10/10
Jayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2003, 16:29   #20
Terri
Super T

A bit predictable is me......like I've said before I like all the tracks on CHSIB album. Perhaps some slightly more than others.
This one I love, the spoken part especially!
I agree with the others tho' this would be great live!

10/10
Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2003, 22:11   #21
evil nickname

I really like the message in the song, most evidently expressed in the chorus:

"I'm easy and I'm serious-
They try and tear me down!
You want me, baby, I dare you:
Try and tear me down"

Kinda "no matter what is going on, I'll be standing strong, and if you want a piece of me -- come and get it", but then with better words.
The spoken part in the middle, well, I like the tongue-in-cheekiness of the last part ("Yeah, everything from Texas is big...") but on the other hand it doen't do much for me. Either way, it's fine with me.
Musically, is a decent rocksong. I could agree on the live-vibe this song has... but then again, I've only witnessed this song once live, in a not so great performance, so I couldn't make judgement on that.

On a side note: I like it better than the Hedwig version, mostly on behalf of the vocals. That guy needs to shut up, or at least, I think he should.

Overall: not too bad... 7.5/10
evil nickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2003, 14:46   #22
Quigmo
Senior Loafer

This is the song I remember from the "having fun for the summer" tour and then again on the last tour. Now that I've heard the album version it ranks a full 10/10 I love this song. You tell 'em Meat!
Quigmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Nov 2003, 01:24   #23
RSG
Mega Loafer

Great song, man is it ever great. Fun really loud, and I enjoy the woman's part in the song. No one can tear this man. I personally love this one more than Hedwig's, I'd give is an 8.5 at the most. and Meat's a 9.5.
RSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2003, 08:59   #24
LostSoul
Got metal?

I do like the spoken part and I do like this song.
It's like an extension to "Testify"...

I'm looking forward to listening to it live!

7/10
LostSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2003, 09:19   #25
BadAttitude
Super Loafer

Lostsoul I agree with you on your evaluation of this one.

I also give it a 7/10
BadAttitude is offline   Reply With Quote