mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages » Lost Boys and Golden Girls

Old 09 Apr 2013, 23:37   #1
john walker
Rookie

Default Mrs Loud

From our friend
the voice on I'd do anything for love with Meat Loaf

http://www.reverbnation.com/lorrainecrosby
john walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2013, 23:43   #2
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

She was amazing on the AFL recording and fits the song perfectly, like how Ellen Foley fit Paradise.

No offence and maybe it's just me but I do find her desperation a bit off putting (X Factor and The Voice auditions and the moans about not getting a share from the AFL success). I guess you can look at it from two sides. I do wish her the best of luck but think she should get there without the stupid talent show route.

The Facebook post by Meat kind of made sense. Though the "Mrs. Loud" credit was very interesting/cool in 1993 I agree with Meat that perhaps the nickname hasn't helped her career?
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Dislikes This Post.
Old 10 Apr 2013, 01:04   #3
The Flying Mouse
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I do wish her the best of luck but think she should get there without the stupid talent show route.
I agree.
But those talent shows (thanks to Mr Cowell) are the best chance a singer has these days to get any exposure.
Especially if you're over 14 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
The Facebook post by Meat kind of made sense. Though the "Mrs. Loud" credit was very interesting/cool in 1993 I agree with Meat that perhaps the nickname hasn't helped her career?
I found that very interesting myself.
What Meat said about the royalties makes sense.
For one, I don't think anyone could have expected Bat II to be as big as it was (without the help of a crystal ball) because he'd pretty much vanished off the face of the earth at that time.
So even if it were common practice to offer royalties instead of a flat fee for the performance, there is no way Meat, Virgin, or Lorraine herself could have predicted which would have been more lucrative for her.

As for the name, we all know who she is because we have special interest, but I wonder who else would know who Mrs Loud is without being told?
I can't help thinking Meat was right on that score.
The Flying Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2013, 01:27   #4
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

i really don't know...

im not familiar with her other work, i only know her as the female vocalist on afl
and i guess thats probably the point...

my thoughts are

she did a great job on afl

but ive never actually gone searching for her other work, i dont know why, but i havent.

from an exposure point of view, being the lead female vocalist on the hit song of 1993 should have been enough to get her noticed by the record executives etc.

why she hasnt become a huge star? ive no idea

thats just the industry she is in... there are some amazing talents that work there arses off that never manage to get the acclaim their talent deserves

equally there are those that seem to easily break into the main stream music business, through talent shows or whatever.

as long as she is enjoying what she is doing, and getting by, thats the main thing

i wish her every happiness and success for the future.
duke knooby is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 10 Apr 2013, 04:47   #5
JarethD
Junior Loafer

When my mum was on a camping holiday (Can't remember where) she was performing and my mum bought her album and gave it to me...I haven't listened to it but my mum said that at the show she kept mentioning that she was on AFL constantly. I think going under Mrs Loud was a mistake as most people I know assumed that she didn't want her identity known, then she is credited under her actual name the other 3 or so tracks she did backing vocals on.
JarethD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2013, 04:55   #6
ricgough
Senior Loafer

I know in passing a couple of session guys who have worked with her....

I don't have much sympathy. Her talent is not in question, but anyone that thinks she got a raw deal out of AFL is having a laugh. She's been conistently working for 20 years on the back of that, and made a viable career out of it just not at the "superstar" level she would have liked. It's not as if she hasn't had exposure.

Last edited by ricgough; 10 Apr 2013 at 05:04.
ricgough is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 10 Apr 2013, 07:24   #7
Evil Ernie
Super Loafer

I think she was given a Raw deal. Even though they paid her for the performance it would have been nice if they would give given her more money in retrospect. They didn't HAVE to, but they should have.

It's not much different than what Epic Records did to Meat Loaf and Jim with BOOH, just on a MUCH smaller scale.

If that Ted Nugent album that ML performed vocals on became a HUGE success, with Meat Loaf singing on a #1 hit single and ML got almost nothing out of it than we would have thread after thread on how ML was being screwed. And don't say that it wouldn't happen..
Evil Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 10 Apr 2013, 08:21   #8
melon
Long Distance Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Mouse View Post
I agree.
But those talent shows (thanks to Mr Cowell) are the best chance a singer has these days to get any exposure.
And edited to within an inch of it's life
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 10 Apr 2013, 13:39   #9
renegadeangel
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ernie View Post
I think she was given a Raw deal. Even though they paid her for the performance it would have been nice if they would give given her more money in retrospect. They didn't HAVE to, but they should have.

It's not much different than what Epic Records did to Meat Loaf and Jim with BOOH, just on a MUCH smaller scale.

If that Ted Nugent album that ML performed vocals on became a HUGE success, with Meat Loaf singing on a #1 hit single and ML got almost nothing out of it than we would have thread after thread on how ML was being screwed. And don't say that it wouldn't happen..

Welcome to the music business. People are paid for the talents on a scale basis. If the song they performed on goes on to be something great then perhaps the AFM union should have a rider in all contracts.
She followed Jim Steinman's advice as he was trying to create an image for her. Meat advised against this and the rest is history.
She has made a living in a very tough business and that is a tribute to her.
renegadeangel is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 10 Apr 2013, 23:03   #10
Smithie
Super Loafer

I thought she was ok on the album track, but I think that song would have been a hit no matter who sang it. It was brilliantly written by Jim, and Meat & Patti's live performances is what really took it to another level for me.
Smithie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2013, 23:28   #11
Cherry.Loaf
Los Angeloser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie View Post
I thought she was ok on the album track, but I think that song would have been a hit no matter who sang it. It was brilliantly written by Jim, and Meat & Patti's live performances is what really took it to another level for me.
I agree can't remember the last time I listened to a version of that song that Patti didn't sing on
Cherry.Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2013, 07:48   #12
Evil Ernie
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadeangel View Post
Welcome to the music business. People are paid for the talents on a scale basis. If the song they performed on goes on to be something great then perhaps the AFM union should have a rider in all contracts.
She followed Jim Steinman's advice as he was trying to create an image for her. Meat advised against this and the rest is history.
She has made a living in a very tough business and that is a tribute to her.
Oh I agree. It may have been her own fault, I just think that she should have gotten more of a kickback AFTER it became a huge hit. I don't believe in Karma or anything like that, but I do believe in what's fair.

She sang a lead vocal on a massive #1 hit single and the backup singers probably made more cash than her.
Evil Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote