Old 21 Apr 2021, 15:28   #26
Frying Bat
Loafer

A Great lost of a Great man, all support for his friends and familiy
Frying Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2021, 21:36   #27
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Sad news, but by most accounts Jim had been in an awful state the last few years so it's probably for the best.

RIP the greatest songwriter in history.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2021, 00:11   #28
Michael Marxen
Super Loafer

A genius is immortal through his art
Michael Marxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2021, 09:35   #29
R.
You dig.

Sad news. Farewell, Jim.
R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2021, 14:45   #30
Meat Loaf_fan
Super Loafer

R.I.P to the best of song writers.
I feel very, very sad.
Meat Loaf_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 22 Apr 2021, 17:34   #31
FrancineCyclesTheUS
Junior Loafer

For Jim I hope RIP means less ''Rest in Peace''
but ,,Rock in Pandemonium''
FrancineCyclesTheUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2021, 21:40   #32
eltmatt
Super Loafer

RIP Jim, hope we get some unreleased stuff perhaps?

btw, was Jim gay?
eltmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2021, 03:30   #33
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltmatt View Post
btw, was Jim gay?
Not that that's especially relevant... but, based on what I knew of him in the time that I attempted to broker work with the man, I would say yes.
letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2021, 11:23   #34
Sabine
Senior Loafer

Default I am so sad

Very sad News, thank you Jim for all your great Songs.
Never forget these.
Sabine
Sabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2021, 14:04   #35
wizardofodd
Super Loafer

A little thing I wrote on the Rockman FB page but something i wanted to share here too:

I’m so sad to see Jim leave this earth. Like many here, his work has had a profound impact on my life. I’ve always felt like Jim wrote every song just for me, that was part of his magic – to touch your heart with his poetry of emotion. Often OTT, outrageous, loud and yes at times a little bit camp. He was the master of the rock opera, Shakespeare with an electric guitar. Often replicated, never beaten – one of a kind.

I sing songs to my kids to get them to sleep (one of my kids is just a few weeks old) More often than not it’s a Steinman track, usually For Crying Out Loud or Rock and Roll Dreams – or might be bold and sing Objects. They are songs dear to my heart. Words I can still muster at any hour of the day no matter how tired I feel, indeed if you hold onto a chorus you can get through the night.

I thank Jim for those words. We are a lucky bunch here. Many don’t ‘get it’ and many never will. We do. How blessed we are.

Thanks for the ride Jim. x
wizardofodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2021, 16:26   #36
needmoremeat
Mega Loafer

Such sad news. :"(

Found out on Wednesday afternoon via MLConcert's YouTube channel and I went straight to Meat's FB page for the confirmation. It's going to take a while before I can put together some coherent thoughts on exactly what Jim's music has meant for me in my life. I know he hasn't been well the past few years, but it's still gut-wrenching to think that he's no longer with us.

"Every golden nugget coming like a gift of the gods. Someone must have blessed us when he gave us those songs."
needmoremeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2021, 16:45   #37
Dick
Super Loafer

RIP JIM

If anythings to come of it, its nice to see some of the older posters here to pay their respects. its the same with the rockman board. very moving.
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2021, 18:06   #38
Danny L
Super Loafer

I know it’s been a few days but I have been thinking about Jim Steinman.

I was being driven home from school by my mum when a song called Bat Out of Hell came on. They played the whole thing. She got the CD out and I went into a new world. Paradise by the Dashboard Light was something else. I loved it and I heard Bat 2. I’m old enough to remember Anything For Love in the charts.

I went deeper into his world thanks to internet research, Bad For Good, Tanz Der Vampire and more. One thing about Jim is he reused musical and lyrical phrases regularly, I liked that. It made it all feel like one big tapestry.

Even demos that made it onto the web were incredible. Like many artists he had so many projects that never happened. One of those was the Bat Out of Hell musical. Far more than another We Will Rock You, this stemmed from 1969’s The Dream Engine, after so many rewrites as stage shows and screenplays it finally opened in Manchester 2017. I saw it 3 times. A fantastic bombastic production.

Steinman often said if you don’t go over the top, you won’t see what’s on the other side.

Well Mr Steinman, now your on the other side, the beat is yours forever. And for crying out loud, we thank you.
Danny L is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 24 Apr 2021, 04:50   #39
EddieJ1984
Rookie

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...TjpxeZa5HIv88E

Warning: You will probably need some tissues after reading this.
EddieJ1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 24 Apr 2021, 15:58   #40
needmoremeat
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJ1984 View Post
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...TjpxeZa5HIv88E

Warning: You will probably need some tissues after reading this.
Wow, thank you so much for sharing this. 💔
Old 25 Apr 2021, 18:03   #41
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

I listened to Bad for Good today. If any of you have read my website, and I know that most of you have, you'll realize that Jim and I had a conflicted relationship, to say the least.

None of that matters today.

Not this week. This month. Or even this year. Whatever you will hear, whatever happens and however things are described in the future or have been described in the past, it will never take away what he meant, what the music meant, how he affected our lives and was instrumental, in some way, in fashioning the people that we turned out to be. For me, Jim was a hand in the dark when I needed it the most, and when I think back to the hours of conversations that we had I can't help but feel the loss and the burden that comes with the passing of someone I cared about.

I will miss him.

It wasn't always easy, and it wasn't always right, but I will miss him. It feels like an alien world without Jim Steinman on the planet. I hope that, if there is more, something else, another reality for the consciousness to inhabit, that Jim finds the peace he never found in life. We were friends, we were colleagues. He was my mentor, he was my tormentor. Wherever he is now, I wish him well.

I miss my friend today.

A tribute and a memory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nz14C0ccOc

Last edited by ThatWriterGuy; 25 Apr 2021 at 18:27.
ThatWriterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Like This Post.
Old 25 Apr 2021, 22:46   #42
nightinr
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWriterGuy View Post
I listened to Bad for Good today. If any of you have read my website, and I know that most of you have, you'll realize that Jim and I had a conflicted relationship, to say the least.

None of that matters today.

Not this week. This month. Or even this year. Whatever you will hear, whatever happens and however things are described in the future or have been described in the past, it will never take away what he meant, what the music meant, how he affected our lives and was instrumental, in some way, in fashioning the people that we turned out to be. For me, Jim was a hand in the dark when I needed it the most, and when I think back to the hours of conversations that we had I can't help but feel the loss and the burden that comes with the passing of someone I cared about.

I will miss him.

It wasn't always easy, and it wasn't always right, but I will miss him. It feels like an alien world without Jim Steinman on the planet. I hope that, if there is more, something else, another reality for the consciousness to inhabit, that Jim finds the peace he never found in life. We were friends, we were colleagues. He was my mentor, he was my tormentor. Wherever he is now, I wish him well.

I miss my friend today.

A tribute and a memory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nz14C0ccOc
Can you put a link up to your website with the stories about Jim?

Looking forward to your work with patti being released. Fo you have a date planned?
nightinr is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 25 Apr 2021, 23:34   #43
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightinr View Post
Can you put a link up to your website with the stories about Jim?
It's probably best to keep this page as a tribute, however, if you should feel so inclined, you can find the site via the description in the podcast drop-down.

Quote:
Looking forward to your work with patti being released. Fo you have a date planned?
We're on hiatus given the circumstances, so let's go with 'coming soon' and see where that path takes us.
Old 25 Apr 2021, 23:42   #44
nightinr
Super Loafer

Can't seem to find anything on the link ...am I looking in the right place?

Last edited by Monstro; 26 Apr 2021 at 02:56. Reason: link removed by request from site owner
nightinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2021, 11:51   #45
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

Jim was heroic.

During the last fifteen years Jim suffered at least 9 strokes. He lost the ability to speak on several occasions, only to double down and relearn the mechanics behind the English language all over again. In 2009 he suffered a near fatal heart attack.

This is a very small part of our conversation:

" Dr Karl Krieger, a Norse "hunk" who was like a Germanic Hi$ler Youth captain! Anyway, I didn't know him, as he was class of 1970, I was '69. But in 2011 I was asked by a "different" quack cardiologist to get an angiogram, where under local sedation, they put cameras up your arteries and SEE WTF is going on! He was worried that my heart was pumping way below normal or minimal amount! This was PRESBYTERREAN MED CENTER, one of the best in the world! And I was told that Dr. Wong, who would be doing it, was "a God! He is NEVER WRONG!". "Jim, I'm actually wishing that he'll say YOU NEED open heart surgery--only way I can see you living." So I had the procedure. Dr. Wong spoke in very broken English. He kept muttering and shaking his head "empathetically". At the end all I got out from him was "No Surgery! Only medicines now! I'll call your cardiologist & explain!" You then HAVE to lie on your back and STILL for 6 hours! I was feeling pretty good! ONLY MEDS! No surgery required! "I got off easy."

After the 6 hours, I talked to Dr Tyberg, my cardio guy. "No Jim, it's NOT good news from Wong! It was the WORST POSSSIBLE news! There IS no surgery to be done! No coronary artery bypass to even try! He was saying, "Just take meds for mental stability and ~~~~ing wait till you die!" I was floored--I was gonna die soon! I went numb! For FOUR ~~~~ing days I didn't reflect or observe or ANY~~~~INGTHING! I was GONNA DIE SOON! That numbness lasted until I got a phone call from a Dr, Karl Krieger, affiliated with the hospital--"Jim? Is this the Jim Steinman from Amherst College? The one who wrote and starred in DREAM ENGINE?---Well I saw that show TWICE!----I saw your name on a form of "daily proceedures, cardiac, at the hospital! I wondered if it was YOU. I'm Amherst '70, and I know they told you it was "fatal" but I need to tell you that--I CAN DO A SURGERY ON YOU! I watched the angiogram tape & I saw what Dr. Wong saw! BUT--I CAN DO IT!!" I muttered some heartfelt, incoherent THANKS & hung up! I was so obsessed that I called him back three hours later!
Me: "Dr Krieger, did you mean you could "open me up" & "fiddle with things" and possibly close me up same as be4?" He said "NO! If I say I can do it, I mean an actual coronary bypass! I know Wong said not, but at least 75% of all cardiac sugeons would agree! BUT I CAN DO IT!". This was the champion wrestler coming thru!!!
I had it on Feb 22 2010--Krieger actually did A TRIPLE BYPASS!" I had asked Tyberg if open heart surgery was painful--he said "Believe me, PAIN is the LAST thing you'll have on your mind!"

And boy, was he right! Pain WAS the last thing on my mind! Afterward (keep in mind that like my song, they took my heart, "still beating, still beating/breaking out of my body" and placed in a large tin, like for roasting ham, where it sat, a machine doing all the work, for SIX HOURS! Then they put it back! And I had "another few years"."

No matter what happened between us on a personal and professional level, I can say that we shared some pretty intense times together. Jim never complained about his ailments. He was always focused on other things.
That sounds pretty heroic to me.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 26 Apr 2021, 12:53   #46
ajf33
Senior Loafer

Quote:
Can't seem to find anything on the link ...am I looking in the right place?
sent you a pm with the link.
ajf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2021, 16:00   #47
aks650
Senior Loafer

Can theses stories be viewed? Be nice to read some of them!
aks650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2021, 16:42   #48
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

Trust me, you don't want to read them right now.
Instead, remember Jim for everything he did within music. Remember him for the mark he left on your life, as I will remember him for the mark that he left on mine.
Maybe the first podcast will simply be 'Jim Steinman'.
Thinking aloud.
You can't deny what he meant to people, how he shaped an entire genre of music and provided the soundtrack to so many people's youths.
Nothing is black or white.
Today I'm grateful for the good times.

Last edited by ThatWriterGuy; 26 Apr 2021 at 17:12.
Old 26 Apr 2021, 18:09   #49
needmoremeat
Mega Loafer

Well, it's safe to say that the past few days, I've felt like Meat in the "Read 'Em and Weep" video: slumped over the typewriter at the desk, head in hands, struggling to find the words to explain exactly what Jim Steinman and his music has meant to me.

I finally finished and published it on my LinkedIn profile this afternoon (was going to put it on my blog, but was having trouble with the formatting of the lyric quotes, and the image - even now the lyric snippets still don't look right).

Hope it's okay for me to share the link here? Let me know if it's not and I'll remove it. Basically it's a tribute piece, with some background info, the story of how I discovered his music, and the impact it's had on my life.

Oh, and it happens to be as long as one of his songs!

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fans-...erine-tuckwell
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 29 Apr 2021, 02:31   #50
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Woah. Never heard this one before. Knew there were demos of an earlier / Steinman music version of A kiss but didn't know about Pandora's Box's one.
Loving all the YouTube recommendations I'm getting.

Pandora's Box - A Kiss Is a Terrible Thing to Waste (Jim Steinman demo 1989)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtCl...l=TheArchivist
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote