mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages » Coupe de Ville

Old 27 Jul 2016, 14:03   #1
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Default Meat Loaf vinyl collection

Continuing with my vinyl Meat Loaf collection since I finally bought a record player. I'm just really starting out from scratch. Have a few albums but not much.

This latest haul from eBay this week seemed really good value for less than £10 including postage!

6 singles and a whole host of clippings from the eighties.
Singles are:
1) Anything for Love (7.50 min version) B side: Back into Hell (becoming rare I think)
2) Two out of three ain't bad / For Crying out loud (short versions. Seems to be a common Bat sampler going by logo. Same tracks as common Dutch single but this one without sleeve. )
3) Bat out of Hell single: Bat (short version), B Side: Read 'em and weep (Rare? not sure. Must be later re-release because of Read 'em)
4) If you really want to single. B side: Keep Driving (quite common to get hold of)
5) Piece of Action. B Side: Sailor to siren (common)
6) 4 track greatest hits 33 1/3 7 inch single: Bat / I'm gonna Love her / Dead Ringer / Read 'em (common)

Interesting the 4 track single is indeed a single 7 inch vinyl disc but meant for 33 1/3 speed, so will see how that sounds. I've never seen one of these before I think. AFL vinyl seems hard to come by on eBay now if I'm not mistaken but have only check last few weeks.

Will play all this stuff later. Look in good condition. Can't wait

Haven't look through all clippings but some interesting things I reckon.

Last edited by AndrewG; 27 Jul 2016 at 14:26.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 27 Jul 2016, 15:19   #2
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

Andrew: if you're looking for vinyl that SOUNDS good (and trust me, there are some EXCELLENT sounding ML pressings out there), always be sure to ask the seller before you buy if it's AUDIBLY GRADED. Especially when buying from eBay (note: Discogs is your best friend -- you'll pay more, but you'll get 'better'!). Be aware of the MATRIX NUMBERS and which pressing you're buying, as later pressings won't sound half as good as genuine first pressings, as a rule (there are exceptions). I have a UK first pressing of Bad Attitude that was a complete and utter REVELATION. Sounds NOTHING like the previous CD releases. Absolutely incredible. And not a pop, click, or scratch to be heard anywhere.

What's your vinyl set up consist of?

Good luck with your collection!

PS -- AFL 7 inch is, (un?)fortunately, still quite common to come across.
ThatWriterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 27 Jul 2016, 15:33   #3
AndrewG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWriterGuy View Post
Andrew: if you're looking for vinyl that SOUNDS good (and trust me, there are some EXCELLENT sounding ML pressings out there), always be sure to ask the seller before you buy if it's AUDIBLY GRADED. Especially when buying from eBay (note: Discogs is your best friend -- you'll pay more, but you'll get 'better'!). Be aware of the MATRIX NUMBERS and which pressing you're buying, as later pressings won't sound half as good as genuine first pressings, as a rule (there are exceptions). I have a UK first pressing of Bad Attitude that was a complete and utter REVELATION. Sounds NOTHING like the previous CD releases. Absolutely incredible. And not a pop, click, or scratch to be heard anywhere.

What's your vinyl set up consist of?

Good luck with your collection!

PS -- AFL 7 inch is, (un?)fortunately, still quite common to come across.
Thanks for the tips. Wasn't sure about AFL, but given how big the song was surprised at lack of auctions on eBay for it. There seem to be more versions and auctions for Blind Before I Stop! Have been on Discogs before. Bizarrely the 12 inch version for AFL still doesn't include the full length song.

Have the basic AT LP-120USB playing through my computer via USB and Yamaha studio speakers. But will get a proper amp with dedicated speakers later when I sort out another room in the house for music listening.
Old 27 Jul 2016, 15:36   #4
evil nickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
2) Two out of three ain't bad / For Crying out loud (short versions. Seems to be a common Bat sampler going by logo. Same tracks as common Dutch single but this one without sleeve. )
Looks like it's the UK version. I've got a copy of the US version, which has the album version of TOoTAB. That Bat Label was also used on various other singles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
3) Bat out of Hell single: Bat (short version), B Side: Read 'em and weep (Rare? not sure. Must be later re-release because of Read 'em)
Bat was re-released as a single in 1993 (as was Paradise). Not that hard to find.
evil nickname is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 27 Jul 2016, 15:39   #5
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

The AT-LP 120 isn't a bad beginner TT at all, but you might want to upgrade the cart to get the max benefit out of the medium. Shoot me a PM sometime if you need any advice, and I'll try and help you navigate through the minefield of first time (??) TT/vinyl usage/buying/care.

In the meantime -- enjoy!! And listen to ML for what will sound like the FIRST TIME all over again!
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 28 Jul 2016, 00:20   #6
proctorloaf
Super Loafer

Desperately seeking Welcome to the Neighbourhood LP if anyone comes across it :) ax
proctorloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2016, 00:46   #7
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by proctorloaf View Post
Desperately seeking Welcome to the Neighbourhood LP if anyone comes across it :) ax
Picked one up from a Virgin megastore in Edinburgh in 2002 ... for £1.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 28 Jul 2016, 01:12   #8
AndrewG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWriterGuy View Post
Picked one up from a Virgin megastore in Edinburgh in 2002 ... for £1.
You should have bought 100. You could make a tasty profit now I bet for unopened ones. Funny how back then records were regarded as useless by so many.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 28 Jul 2016, 09:42   #9
proctorloaf
Super Loafer

I was 15 and all into CDs in 2002 :P
proctorloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 28 Jul 2016, 10:55   #10
AndrewG

Quote:
I was 15 and all into CDs in 2002 :P
I agree with what I read somewhere last night that CDs are quite office like. They can give off a cold, businessy feeling looking at them.

Looking out some vinyl fairs to go to, but there are not many in my direct area it seems. Need to get to the bigger cities.
Old 28 Jul 2016, 11:05   #11
Guy
Super Loafer

Being collecting ML stuff since I was about 15
Vinyl will always be king in my eyes
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Like This Post.
Old 31 Jul 2016, 11:32   #12
Monstro
Promoted to Wario's spellchecker

Quote:
Keep checking ebay, discogs, expect to pay between £10 - £35. It comes up quite often.
Monstro is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 31 Jul 2016, 12:18   #13
tonyloaf
Metal Head

CHSIB is the one in after
tonyloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2016, 22:07   #14
samurai7
Rock Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyloaf View Post
CHSIB is the one in after
Apart from I think two people here maybe, it's the same for us all. Been after that one a while now.
samurai7 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 02 Aug 2016, 23:02   #15
LucyK!
The Monster Is Luce

I know of about 6 people that have chsib...and one of them is me so really it's only 5 lol
LucyK! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2016, 23:38   #16
Monstro
Promoted to Wario's spellchecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai7 View Post
Apart from I think two people here maybe, it's the same for us all. Been after that one a while now.
Insert smug faced emoji "here"
Monstro is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 02 Aug 2016, 23:40   #17
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

Better add me to that pile .... twice!!
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 03 Aug 2016, 00:05   #18
Vickip
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyK! View Post
I know of about 6 people that have chsib...and one of them is me so really it's only 5 lol
You can count me as one of those 5 I even had Meat autograph the cover for me and it looks amazing hanging on my wall
Vickip is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 05 Aug 2016, 16:11   #19
tonyloaf
Metal Head

So the hunt continues !
tonyloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2016, 17:31   #20
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

So Andrew - how does that little haul sound?
Old 06 Aug 2016, 01:13   #21
Guy
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyK! View Post
I know of 1 person....I think, that has 2
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 26 Aug 2016, 17:22   #22
rockfenris2005
Mega Loafer

I was offered a copy of CHSIB (LP) by someone HERE. But in the end I couldn't take it as I was just beginning to go through a rough patch where I couldn't afford it. If that had happened today, I would have taken it. But even then, it would feel weird without Hell in a Handbasket on vinyl. Couldn't they release one now? Sigh.
rockfenris2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2016, 17:47   #23
AndrewG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfenris2005 View Post
I was offered a copy of CHSIB (LP) by someone HERE. But in the end I couldn't take it as I was just beginning to go through a rough patch where I couldn't afford it. If that had happened today, I would have taken it. But even then, it would feel weird without Hell in a Handbasket on vinyl. Couldn't they release one now? Sigh.
I guess it will depend on all album sales but quite a few classic albums are re-released on Vinyl now I've noticed since the resurge in vinyl interest. I got Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill which was re-released on vinyl a few years ago. Sound quality is excellent. Springsteen's first 7 albums were re-released in a box set and all of Phil Collins' studio albums were re-released too. I'm looking to also get some of the re-released albums of Michael Jackson on vinyl. And I'm sure tons of stuff I'm not so fussed about is re-released too.

I could see them re-releasing Bat 2 (the original is a single atrocious vinyl. I've not even tried playing it but doubt there is much point. If it is as bad or worse than the 8 minute crammed copy of AFL on 7inch 45 I got it's just unbearable) and maybe Bat 3 but the others I'm not so sure about. Obviously it would be nice if everyone who wanted could get CHSIB and Handbasket on vinyl too.

I just got a second hand vinyl copy of Welcome to the neighbourhood. Even that seems a little tricky to get now.
Hope I can get CHSIB one day but I'm certainly not counting on it.
Old 26 Aug 2016, 18:01   #24
AndrewG

It's actually surprising it was much easier to get the likes of Bad for Good and Pandora's Box on second hand vinyl. I guess the interest isn't as competitive but then surely the amount of vinyl pressings should/would be lower than these major Meat Loaf releases? Bizarre.
Old 26 Aug 2016, 22:58   #25
rockfenris2005
Mega Loafer

WttN felt tricky to me about 7 years ago when I bought it... from Japan? It was some place like that. It just came up one day in a search. It was in Japan importing worldwide. I thought, well WOW. I'll grab that then!! Wasn't inordinately expensive either!! And there it was. What a sight to see getting that package and opening it up, I can tell you now. I never bought Bat 3. I was going to get that if I ever got CHSIB haha.
rockfenris2005 is offline   Reply With Quote