Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages

Old 16 Jul 2016, 02:25   #151
Danny L
Super Loafer

By the sounds of things it's Manchester test bed then a tour starting in London. I hope that doesn't mean Mancs will be a rough as hell prodution/crap haha!! I saw last year's production of Beautiful Thing in a 'dress rehearsal' (with invited guests) then a few months later the final production (three times, my work did a Q&A afterwards on LGBT issues as it's a popular gay romcom) and you could see how the cast had evolved into it even though it was the precise same script.

Jim must be thinking of what a recording would sound like given his experience, and what he'd want it to sound like. Surely him and Meat have discussed it in great detail? If the show is a great success, Jim's last masterpiece, they'll want it recorded (would a visual recording do harm to ticket sales?)

In fact on his blog 10 years ago Jim said how he wanted to sell Bat Out of Hell, the 'lost songs' meant for Bat 3, new recordings and A Capella stuff arranged by Rundgren. Obviously thse are desires of an artist, it's up to record labels and producers to cough up make it happen.

AS for Tanz, I truly hope DOTV hasn't killed any chance for a faithful English production. Outside of his work with Meat (and to some degree Bonnie) TdV is Steinman's most prominent body of work, some amazing melodies.
Danny L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2016, 15:16   #152
Danny L
Super Loafer

Updated crew list from Scaramouche at Rockman Record, from what they've read and the workshop:

Producers: Michael Cohl, Elva Corrie and David Sonnenberg
Book, Music, Lyrics: Jim Steinman
Director: Jay Scheib
Artistic Consultants (?): Barry Keating & Steven Rinkoff (both in photos at workshop)
Orchestrations: Steve Margoshes (as always)
Musical Supervision/Arrangements: Michael Reed
Music Director: Kasim Sulton
Vocal Arrangements: Todd Rundgren
Staging/Set Design: Steven Kaplan
Old 14 Aug 2016, 03:52   #153
eddy<meat-loaf>rocky
Super Loafer

any more news do we know when will the casting be revealed and will there be a press launch with real life album cover with a motorbike a bat and a tombstone outside the opera house theater ? maybe meat loaf could lend them bob the bat to put on the canopy of the theater for the press night hehehe
eddy<meat-loaf>rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2016, 14:17   #154
Danny L
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy<meat-loaf>rocky View Post
any more news do we know when will the casting be revealed and will there be a press launch with real life album cover with a motorbike a bat and a tombstone outside the opera house theater ? maybe meat loaf could lend them bob the bat to put on the canopy of the theater for the press night hehehe
I asked one of the production assistants on Twitter an he said wait a littole longer - they begin rehearsal December so its' just a little longer to wait.

This is the first production in the world, a tryout I believe before London, so they won't want major promo before London, tickets have sold OK now and there will be more promo as we go towards opening, which is little over 6 months away.

This is a big multi-million dollar show. Todd Rundgren & Kasim Sulton are involved. This is not going to pass by without notice!

As for the Bat - I'd be surprised if it's not a big mythical creature in the show, it's called Bat Out of Hell and it's on the poster.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 16 Aug 2016, 01:36   #155
eddy<meat-loaf>rocky
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny L View Post
I asked one of the production assistants on Twitter an he said wait a littole longer - they begin rehearsal December so its' just a little longer to wait.

This is the first production in the world, a tryout I believe before London, so they won't want major promo before London, tickets have sold OK now and there will be more promo as we go towards opening, which is little over 6 months away.

This is a big multi-million dollar show. Todd Rundgren & Kasim Sulton are involved. This is not going to pass by without notice!

As for the Bat - I'd be surprised if it's not a big mythical creature in the show, it's called Bat Out of Hell and it's on the poster.
really! they begin rehearsal December and it opens in february not long to the opening night in feb a bit ambitious when chitty chitty bang bang was first opening it had 6 months before it opened to previews knowing they are starting rehearsals in december thats not long enough for a musical to be ready in time from experience i am worried as an audience member now they aren't gona be ready for the opening in feb
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 16 Aug 2016, 01:43   #156
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

Quote:
i am worried as an audience member now they aren't gona be ready for the opening in feb
Don't be.
ThatWriterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2016, 02:03   #157
Danny L
Super Loafer

You'd be surprised! A lot of big shows have 6-8 weeks rehearsal before previews.

Anyway as of Wednesday there are just 6 months to go! It's already going fast .Opening night we reckon is in March while Feb is 'previews' (is there a difference?! When a show is on its on)

I reckon by mid-October we'll know the cast.
Old 16 Aug 2016, 02:23   #158
proctorloaf
Super Loafer

Quote:
really! they begin rehearsal December and it opens in february not long to the opening night in feb a bit ambitious when chitty chitty bang bang was first opening it had 6 months before it opened to previews knowing they are starting rehearsals in december thats not long enough for a musical to be ready in time from experience i am worried as an audience member now they aren't gona be ready for the opening in feb
Blood Brothers rehearses in 4 days. Most musicals get 3 weeks rehearsal. Chitty took so long because the car didn't work.
proctorloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 16 Aug 2016, 02:33   #159
Danny L
Super Loafer

Actors have to learn stuff quickly - look at soaps EastEnders films about 12 scenes a day.
Old 17 Aug 2016, 13:58   #160
Danny L
Super Loafer

6 months til opening !! it's actually going quick...
Old 26 Sep 2016, 13:36   #161
eddy<meat-loaf>rocky
Super Loafer

looks like its confirmed as a tour they are looking for staff http://batoutofhellmusical.com/recruitment/
Old 26 Sep 2016, 13:43   #162
ashkent7
Super Loafer

Quote:
looks like its confirmed as a tour they are looking for staff http://batoutofhellmusical.com/recruitment/
I read it to be looking for people for the Manchester and London shows with a potential that they may possibly be asked to continue on when it heads further afield to the US and such.
ashkent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 26 Sep 2016, 17:51   #163
Danny L
Super Loafer

Despite the fact I've never worked professionally in theatre I had the audacity to send them my CV lol!
Old 26 Sep 2016, 18:13   #164
ashkent7
Super Loafer

Quote:
Despite the fact I've never worked professionally in theatre I had the audacity to send them my CV lol!
To be fair, I've done things in lighting, camera, scenery, props, scripting but not professionally in theatre and the only thing that stopped me putting one in was family ties and such or otherwise I would have done exactly the same
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 27 Sep 2016, 06:20   #165
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

Quote:
AS for Tanz, I truly hope DOTV hasn't killed any chance for a faithful English production. Outside of his work with Meat (and to some degree Bonnie) TdV is Steinman's most prominent body of work, some amazing melodies.
Not to drag this off-topic, but on this particular point I can offer personal insight not unlike TWG's on Bat: that's more or less exactly the situation as it currently stands. The influence of Broadway is stronger on the West End, in particular, than on continental Europe, which is why Tanz's success throughout Europe has continued unabated but it has never touched London. (And not for lack of trying; some West End luminaries were invited to see the recent Paris production and turned the show down flat.)
letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2016, 10:25   #166
proctorloaf
Super Loafer

The reason why DOTV hasn't touched London is that
1. Vampires in fashion fad is over
2. no-one came up with any decent english lyrics

I love the show, I saw it in Vienna, Berlin and Paris - my favourite musical. We don't need an English version - its the only reason you need to learn German.
proctorloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 27 Sep 2016, 13:12   #167
Danny L
Super Loafer

It's online with english subs - the English demos is one of my favourite things Steinman ever did
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 27 Sep 2016, 15:24   #168
ashkent7
Super Loafer

Quote:
It's online with english subs - the English demos is one of my favourite things Steinman ever did
I do like the English versions with Steve (Barton), but for me the orchestral arrangements of the music takes over the lyrics anyway. The music of Tanzaal is one of the best pieces ever put in front of a theatre audience in my opinion.
Old 27 Sep 2016, 18:59   #169
rockfenris2005
Mega Loafer

I would love to see it no matter what the language, but unfortunately I don't think that's really going to happen around here. Most people would want to see it in English? I'm always in awe of "BRAVER THAN WE ARE" from this musical and so glad that Meat/Ellen/Karla did it and that it got "out there" on CD. The tune for the chorus, and I've said this before, just breaks my heart. It's so awesome.
rockfenris2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 04 Oct 2016, 12:46   #170
eltmatt
Super Loafer

So weird, i've just posted a topic asking how I can get hold of the english demos of DOTV, tbh I'd like the german cast recording in full too
eltmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Oct 2016, 14:05   #171
Danny L
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltmatt View Post
So weird, i've just posted a topic asking how I can get hold of the english demos of DOTV, tbh I'd like the german cast recording in full too
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tanz-Vampir...nz+der+vampire

this is the definitive full German cast recording, nothing official was released in English apart from demos which are here:

http://www.carpe-jugulum.com/mm/english/index.html
Old 08 Oct 2016, 03:11   #172
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

Back on topic: here's the new logo for the next generation of Bat!

letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2016, 03:21   #173
Danny L
Super Loafer

Where did you get that image? Saw the site pretty cool, I think it's good they changed it. The logos more modern and the show has to stand on its own two feet and be it's own beast, not just be a spin off from the albums.

llooking good! Now who's bloody in it, they're meant to rehearse month after next. A halloween reveal would be rather fitting?
Old 08 Oct 2016, 13:05   #174
eltmatt
Super Loafer

wow awesome logo!
eltmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 09 Oct 2016, 15:52   #175
Danny L
Super Loafer

It's now my wallpaper on computer and iPad and phone :)

Last edited by Danny L; 09 Oct 2016 at 16:46.