Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages

Old 03 Jul 2016, 17:14   #101
Danny L
Super Loafer

We know that new songs like Body are expected - I think a publicity thing somewhere confirms it. I admit I'm surprised Dead Ringer is in there - oit was a bonus track on bat 1 rereleases. I am please as it is a favourite of mine.

I could be completely wrong but I question if Objects and Paradise in particular fit this world? Are we getting all songs from Bat 1and2 with others? Anything from Braver, Bat 3 (well the website confirms It's All Coming Back To Me Now) No doubt there will be a few surprises from down the years.

People are already talking as if this is going to be Bat Out of Hell: The Album(s) live on stage with characters and scenes but this is going to be so much more by all accounts - like TWG said not just a jukebox show ala Mamma Mia or We Will Rock You. Songs have new arrangements and different characters, male, female etc will be singing them.

This is Jimmy's baby he has been working towards for HALF A CENTURY, his world, his vision finally coming to life. All those records with Meat Loaf, Bonnie Tyler, Fire Inc have been concept pieces to test these songs. Steve Steinman's Vampires Rock/THe ML Story does closer tho what people are expecting and they are good shows but this beast is a different species all together.

There are apparantly over 20 tracks and some may be shortened, we don't know - but this may be more like an opera with very little dialogue/scenes in between, judging by both confirmed venues.

TheWriterGuy, if you can speak without 'spoilers' I would LOVE to hear more about your involvement in the run up! Is there any word on recordings yet or is it a bit early?
Danny L is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 03 Jul 2016, 17:29   #102
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

Great post! And I think if enough people are interested, I'll talk with Jim and if he says it's okay, I'll start a thread and we can go from there.
ThatWriterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jul 2016, 20:40   #103
renegadeangel
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWriterGuy View Post
Great post! And I think if enough people are interested, I'll talk with Jim and if he says it's okay, I'll start a thread and we can go from there.
Jim should be interested. Hype needs to start and as much as his truly loyal fans will support him, the general public needs to feel the magic to want to see it.
renegadeangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jul 2016, 20:42   #104
rockfenris2005
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Hype needs to start and as much as his truly loyal fans will support him, the general public needs to feel the magic to want to see it.
Take it from someone too who knows personally how much of a nightmare that can be.
rockfenris2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jul 2016, 20:43   #105
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadeangel View Post
Jim should be interested. Hype needs to start and as much as his truly loyal fans will support him, the general public needs to feel the magic to want to see it.
Patience. It's not like it's opening 'next week'.
Old 03 Jul 2016, 20:51   #106
Danny L
Super Loafer

8 months.

Is this what being pregnant is like?!
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 03 Jul 2016, 20:58   #107
proctorloaf
Super Loafer

Quote:
Just because this is BAT OUT OF HELL: THE MUSICAL, it doesn't mean that those songs are exclusively LIMITED to BAT OUT OF HELL. Anything in Jim's oeuvre is on the cards. It's his musical, after all
ALL of Jim Steinman's songs are BAT songs. They are from the same world. They all fit into Neverland.
proctorloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 03 Jul 2016, 21:09   #108
Danny L
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by proctorloaf View Post
ALL of Jim Steinman's songs are BAT songs. They are from the same world. They all fit into Neverland.
Exactly, it's his world.
Old 03 Jul 2016, 22:41   #109
ashkent7
Super Loafer

Quote:
I remember in a documentary - I'm sure it was one of the retrospective Bat ones but can't remember if it was Meat or Jim who said the line - it being said that everything Jim writes goes into Neverland. It's all parts of one story. The more i think,it was Meat who says it. But yes, i think to Jim everything he has done has in some way fit in with that story so any of his songs could turn up in one form or another.

If you listen to all of his work you can almost hear it as a musical because lyrically and musically there are so many connections between them - riffs, chord progressions. You can tell they were always meant to be part of one thing. I think the hardest part for Jim was deciding which to use. I can imagine Paradise would fit as it is as part of a flashback or a vision of the future. Objects quite easily could be a retrospective piece by a character reminiscing about their past.
ashkent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 03 Jul 2016, 22:53   #110
Danny L
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkent7 View Post
I remember in a documentary - I'm sure it was one of the retrospective Bat ones but can't remember if it was Meat or Jim who said the line - it being said that everything Jim writes goes into Neverland. It's all parts of one story. The more i think,it was Meat who says it. But yes, i think to Jim everything he has done has in some way fit in with that story so any of his songs could turn up in one form or another.

If you listen to all of his work you can almost hear it as a musical because lyrically and musically there are so many connections between them - riffs, chord progressions. You can tell they were always meant to be part of one thing. I think the hardest part for Jim was deciding which to use. I can imagine Paradise would fit as it is as part of a flashback or a vision of the future. Objects quite easily could be a retrospective piece by a character reminiscing about their past.
It was Meat in VH1 Storytellers. Jim wanted him to play Tink. And yes, musical and lyrical phrases have been reused by Jim many times over the years in various projects here, there and everywhere else in between! I for one love that continuity.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 03 Jul 2016, 23:52   #111
renegadeangel
Super Loafer

Quote:
Patience. It's not like it's opening 'next week'.
That is true but outside of a few small circles Jim is not very well known. The more it gets talked up the more people might become interested.
renegadeangel is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 04 Jul 2016, 00:10   #112
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadeangel View Post
That is true but outside of a few small circles Jim is not very well known. The more it gets talked up the more people might become interested.
However, the songs and 'Bat Out Of Hell' are.

Having been in the industry since the 70s, written 18 number one hits, with a budget of over $25m and some of the smartest people in the business working on it and helping Jim out ... I don't think you need to worry about promo!
Old 04 Jul 2016, 00:30   #113
Danny L
Super Loafer

Agreed there are just 3 news articles talking about it online! Although I guess more people will be interested in the London run?

Mor publicity needed, no doubt they will weave it in with Braver promo
Old 04 Jul 2016, 12:23   #114
ashkent7
Super Loafer

[QUOTE=Danny L;614751]There are apparantly over 20 tracks and some may be shortened, we don't know - but this may be more like an opera with very little dialogue/scenes in between, judging by both confirmed venues.QUOTE]

If you go back to the Dream Engine and Neverland productions, it could also work like those where there are parts of the songs split - like the intro from Bat being separate from the words, the "On A Hot Summer Night" speech being interwoven with Heaven Can Wait rather than Took The Words. I know that is because these were the originals before they were reworked to become the album tracks we know, but knowing Jim then it would be entirely possible that he will have done the same here and completely reworked the songs, as we know there are new arrangements which could also mean who new versions - which for me would make the whole thing even better than the other musicals-based-on-one-set-of-songs, and considering it has already been said that this isn't like a Mamma Mia or We Will Rock You paint by numbers musical - then dismantled and reassembled songs is what I would expect.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 04 Jul 2016, 15:24   #115
Danny L
Super Loafer

[QUOTE=ashkent7;614786]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny L View Post
There are apparantly over 20 tracks and some may be shortened, we don't know - but this may be more like an opera with very little dialogue/scenes in between, judging by both confirmed venues.QUOTE]

If you go back to the Dream Engine and Neverland productions, it could also work like those where there are parts of the songs split - like the intro from Bat being separate from the words, the "On A Hot Summer Night" speech being interwoven with Heaven Can Wait rather than Took The Words. I know that is because these were the originals before they were reworked to become the album tracks we know, but knowing Jim then it would be entirely possible that he will have done the same here and completely reworked the songs, as we know there are new arrangements which could also mean who new versions - which for me would make the whole thing even better than the other musicals-based-on-one-set-of-songs, and considering it has already been said that this isn't like a Mamma Mia or We Will Rock You paint by numbers musical - then dismantled and reassembled songs is what I would expect.
Oh the monogues! I expect them to be there
Old 04 Jul 2016, 22:22   #116
nightinr
Super Loafer

Looking on the ticket sites it looks like ticket sales have been extremely poor so far.

I know its not for 8 months or so but I would have expected better.

Saying that £60 is a lot of money for people in the north west and I don't mean that in a patronising way.
nightinr is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 04 Jul 2016, 22:47   #117
Danny L
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightinr View Post
Looking on the ticket sites it looks like ticket sales have been extremely poor so far.

Saying that £60 is a lot of money for people in the north west and I don't mean that in a patronising way.
the first Saturday looks nearly sold out, other days less so.

A Lot more promo will help that and it is 8 months
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 04 Jul 2016, 23:01   #118
eddy<meat-loaf>rocky
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightinr View Post

to be honest with you my opinion is there should of been a big press launch about it as there was nothing about tickets being on sale or not even any big news about the show on the stage newspaper website i found it a bit of a shock and surprise when i saw it announced on facebook that they were on sale so soon and felt a bit that its gona be on that soon i had to go and get tickets before they sell out when i got thire thire was loads when ghost the musical premiered it was advertised all over manchester city center and the whole of the greater manchester on bus stops and buses they had a good marketing and had big build up about tickets going on sale there was facebook post doing a day countdown until tickets went onsale i was kind of hoping if bat out of hell became a musical it would be something more of a big build up for when tickets go on sale my personal view the theater could of done something for bat out of hell the musical
eddy<meat-loaf>rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 04 Jul 2016, 23:07   #119
Danny L
Super Loafer

There'll probably be a press launch when they have a cast? Again we're just over 8 months away so hopefully something will happen a bit later, I reckon around the time Braver Than We Are is released?

This is the WORLD PREMIERE and millions of dollars are being spent on this show.

Last edited by Danny L; 04 Jul 2016 at 23:16.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 04 Jul 2016, 23:15   #120
nikox1
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny L View Post
There'll probably be a press launch when they have a cast?
Yes I'd say so
nikox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jul 2016, 23:18   #121
Danny L
Super Loafer

It seems weird - BroadwayWorld, Mancester Evening News and LondonTheatre.co.uk are the only Google News results. Not even The Stage!

Bit worrying or not at this stage? look how Dance of the Vampires was P155ed on in New York.
Old 05 Jul 2016, 00:27   #122
proctorloaf
Super Loafer

calm down Danny. This is a soft launch. Manchester is like an off broadway try out where they'll test the show and make sure that all is good. Then the major press will happen in London.

The press is just to say that tickets are on sale. ATG (who run the Opera House in Manchester) are the biggest theatre company in Europe. They aren't going to let the show down with publicity. Although they might be a bit too commercial for Steinman. Time will tell.
proctorloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 05 Jul 2016, 01:08   #123
Danny L
Super Loafer

Quote:
calm down Danny. This is a soft launch. Manchester is like an off broadway try out where they'll test the show and make sure that all is good. Then the major press will happen in London.

The press is just to say that tickets are on sale. ATG (who run the Opera House in Manchester) are the biggest theatre company in Europe. They aren't going to let the show down with publicity. Although they might be a bit too commercial for Steinman. Time will tell.
We shall see and yes I went ott. It will be interesting to go to Mancs then go to another performance/watch/hear recordings and see what if anything has changed; nevertheless it is exciting to see the very beginning of the journey - the great thing about musicals is if they're succesful they become 'legacy pieces - Queen's music will be performed over and over around the world probably forever as part of We Will Rock You, for example. It was WWRY which made me go buy Queen CDs!

That happens a lot on Broadway - Spamalot had a couple of months in Chicago and Disney have opened shows in Seattle. Things change - Spamalot had a sequence and lovely little song (by Eric Idle's standards anyway!!) 'We have found a witch, may we burn her?' 'She turned me into a newt... I got better' etc (if you know the film). but they decided it was inappropiate to burn a young woman as a witch on stage every night. Apparantly. So if a similar thing happens with BAT Manchester audiences may get to see 'deleted scenes!!'
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 05 Jul 2016, 01:13   #124
ashkent7
Super Loafer

Quote:

I think as well, you rarely get massive releases (no pun intended) so far ahead when they haven't got anything to promote other than the fact it is by Jim and called Bat Out Of Hell The Musical. If you go back to when some of the biggest musicals out there were first released, it was the few months leading up to the premier when you started to see adverts appearing. Coming attractions are usually only advertised in theatre magazines by the season or quarter (other then well established shows and Pantomimes which are advertised like a year before), so this will fall into the Winter/Spring coming attractions which won't get a massive amount of attention until Autumn.

I know when Rocky Horror was on tour recently most of the tickets were sold in the month leading up to the performance, and a lot of them ended up sold out.

I would expect there to be a steady stream of ticket sales here and there for the next few months and then it will start to book once they have a cast, more information on the website and such as that.
Old 05 Jul 2016, 03:41   #125
eddy<meat-loaf>rocky
Super Loafer

i would be willing to distribute some flyers to promote the show around the area were i live in greater manchester as a fan of anything steinman and meat loaf i really want this to be a success for jim and all involved in this exciting new musical venture :) i would do anything for love and i love bat out of hell and musical theater :)
eddy<meat-loaf>rocky is offline   Reply With Quote