mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » Tyre Tracks & Broken Hearts

Old 18 Aug 2002, 23:30   #1
White of High
Nature's Siegfried

Default 6. Paradise By The Dashboard Light

This is the START OUT OF HELL & ARRIVE TO HEAVEN topic. Let's Go to Rock 'n' Roll!!!!!!!

Paradise By The Dashboard Light (8/10)

I have never been in Meat Loaf concert, but I've got the video of song and some live version. When I have heard this song first I hated. But with picture is fantastic. If you can image the moment it will be great. On the BOOH album it's not so good, but in Bats Out Of Hell or Live Around The World is good. Very-very funny. The music isn't very good, but it's not matter. You have to enjoy the feeling...

My score: in album 8
in concert 10

Average: 9.71 (339.75/35) [07/08/05]

Last edited by White of High; 07 Aug 2005 at 18:28.
White of High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2002, 08:40   #2
Tim
The Butcher

Quote:
Very-very funny. The music isn't very good, but it's not matter.
The music isn't very good? The music is superb! It's great! It's a fantastic, song, great lyrics, an ultimate love song!
On the BOOH album it is already great, but the live versions are even better. Specially the fight between ML and now Patti.

It is your opinion, but i think you must think it over again cause i would give Paradise an 11 out of 10, if that was possible. This is THE song. Everyone knows it.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2002, 18:25   #3
Michel
Mega Loafer

Everybody knows this song, that's why it is great. Its a song with a great impact, a great rock and roll song. I think Patti is the best opposite woman for this song.
The fight at the end on live versions is very great.

The only thing I hate is that some people cut this song.

I will give it a 8/9
Michel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2002, 19:25   #4
Premacy
Rookie

I really don't get this. Paradise is the best known song all over the world, its a timeless song full of good music and voices. I must agree with Tim that when it was possible i'd even give it a 11 out of 10, or perhaps very more.

Still it's your opinion so i can't do much about it, not more than to make you chance your opinion and say that you're really wrong...
Premacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2002, 21:13   #5
The Flying Mouse
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.

Paradise ROCKS.
The music is great (especially the intro),pure rock and roll.
It's really funny to think of this guy getting more and more frustrated (Meat puts the desperation into the voice beautifully),so they get married and spend the rest of their lives cursing each other to hell.
I like the originallity of the concept,as far as I know nobody else has coverd this theme.
It's a funny (and horrible) thought that Paradise very nearly didn't make onto the album.No one could agree on the mix,until John Jensen mixed it.
10/10
P.S. The live versions are great.The arguments get better and better.
The Flying Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2003, 03:47   #6
Peat Loaf
Senior Loafer

White you got 3 diff songs in one here what more do you want LoL

1000/1000
Peat Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2003, 13:38   #7
Tim
The Butcher

Peat Loaf, you took the words right out of my mouth!!
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2003, 23:06   #8
Cloggy
Super Loafer

Well this has to be a 10/10
Cloggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2003, 09:27   #9
Bart
Bald Mega Loafer

Hehehehe, the music isn't very good. very funny. the piano parts are extra ordinary, Superb. The melody is so, just so great. All 3 parts, i am sorry, 4 parts are great melodys. This song is broadcasted too much on the Dutch radio, it is really an overkill here. Nevertheless, this is the one i remember from my childhood, when my older sister played it everyday.
10/10.
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2003, 23:20   #10
JacenSolo
Loafer

Great song, timeless story, we can all relate to it, what else can i say??
My Score : 10
JacenSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2003, 23:27   #11
jcmoorehead
Super Loafer

Excellant Song 10/10
jcmoorehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2003, 22:49   #12
Bart
Bald Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE FLYING MOUSE
:I like the originallity of the concept,as far as I know nobody else has coverd this theme.
Two Dutchies covered the song (paul de leeuw and sugar lee hooper)
Old 22 Apr 2003, 22:58   #13
Cloggy
Super Loafer

You ~~~~ing kidding me, when did they pull that?
Old 22 Apr 2003, 23:00   #14
evil nickname

Would I make myself hugely impopular by saying that I really can't stand Paradise anymore? I think its hugely overrated and overplayed, and I wouldn't mind if it got skipped from the setlist in favor of, let's say, A Kiss... and For Crying Out Loud... but that is never going to happen, since Meat said in an interview with some dutch newspaper (A.D. I think) it is the ultimate Meat Loaf song and they still enjoy playing it... (or something along those lines -- please note: not an exact quote)

If only I could still enjoy listening it... heard it too many times, and mostly, I'm skipping to FCOL....

William

[ps: I'll have a blast with Paradise tomorrowinght anyway, but please... something else next time, okay?]

NP: Empyrium - ...A Wintersunset - 02 - Under Dreamskies
evil nickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2003, 23:10   #15
Cloggy
Super Loafer

It's not just a song, it's a piece of history.

Name any song thats 25 years old or older that still gets played on radio, tv and bars and is still liked by the new generation as well as the older generation. A song that still will be in the top 100 in the upcoming 25 years.

There are not many songs that cover all of the above. This song will never be forgotten. (As the new songs of today are forgotten after 2 months).

The only song that comes close is Bohemian Raphsody (or whatever spelling is ;p and some Rolling Stones songs).

:)
Old 22 Apr 2003, 23:24   #16
evil nickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloggy
It's not just a song, it's a piece of history.
I'm not disputing that, I'm just trying to make the point that I, personally, think it's rather overrated and hugely overplayed. Whenever people find out I like Meat Loaf, they're like "ooh, wait... Paradise By the Dashboard Light" and then I'm like... yeah sure, but he has lots and lots of better songs. To be honest, if I were to rank the song on BOOH, Paradise would come in 6th place, before 2 out of 3.

There's a whole lot more to Meat than just Paradise, Took the Words, Anything for love and I'd lie for you (and you're lucky if you run into someone (non-hardcore-loafer, that is) who knows any other song) and, well, maybe its just me... :-) ...but then that's my problem, and I just don't really like Paradise, so there you have it!

Quote:
The only song that comes close is Bohemian Raphsody (or whatever spelling is ;p and some Rolling Stones songs).
on Bohemian Rhapsody I have a slightly different view, I really like that one, musically and lyrically, but it's overplayed too....

William

Empyrium - ...A Wintersunset - 06 - Ordain'd To Thee [/i]
Old 23 Apr 2003, 00:24   #17
Bart
Bald Mega Loafer

Quote:
You [...] kidding me, when did they pull that?
In 1993. On the album with the hit single Paul de Leeuw covered from Laura Pausini.
Old 23 Apr 2003, 02:39   #18
Vickip
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
Quote:
Very-very funny. The music isn't very good, but it's not matter.
The music isn't very good? The music is superb! It's great! It's a fantastic, song, great lyrics, an ultimate love song!
On the BOOH album it is already great, but the live versions are even better. Specially the fight between ML and now Patti.

It is your opinion, but i think you must think it over again cause i would give Paradise an 11 out of 10, if that was possible. This is THE song. Everyone knows it.
It's got to be higher than 11 How high can we go?

Watching Meat and Patti sing Paradise on VH1 Storytellers is what got me hooked on his music in the first place :) I didn't even know who he was until I saw the show .. and now I'm having a ball making up for lost time.

I agree ... you've got to see Paradise live to really enjoy it. I'll never forget last year when I went to see him in New Brunswick, New Jersey. I was sitting right in front of the stage, off to the right. When they started the makeout scene, Patti pretended to brush him off and he started walking to our side of the stage. I stood up right away .... Meat saw me standing there, pointed and said to Patti "that one wants me". It was such a riot ... I'll never forget the look on either his or Patti's faces when he stood there waving his arms, trying to get me to come up on stage with him Yes .. for a brief seconds I was the "other woman" in Paradise !!

Vicki
Vickip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2003, 03:01   #19
ChoccyBat
Yorkie

I saw Paradise in Liverpool in summer fun tour and the paramedics were dancing in the aisles. Also it came on in the pub back home once on a saturday night full of kids and the place went crazy!
ChoccyBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2003, 11:07   #20
evil nickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart
In 1993. On the album with the hit single Paul de Leeuw covered from Laura Pausini.
1993 may be correct, but the album was "Voor U, Majesteit" (For You, Majesty) and he did it with Imca Marina.... I have it on tape somewhere....

"Ik Wil Niet Dat Je Liegt" (the Laura Pausini cover) was on another album, "ParaCDmol" I think its called
Old 23 Apr 2003, 12:51   #21
Bart
Bald Mega Loafer

Yeah indeed, you are right, i was wrong. Well, i was in the right direction

He Vicky: great story
Old 23 Apr 2003, 13:21   #22
The Flying Mouse
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.

Hi Bart.
I think you misunderstood me before .
I didn't mean that nobody had coverd the song (although what you said was a suprise for me),but that no other writter I can think of has coverd the subject of getting married for the wrong reason and spending the rest of your lives hating each other.But that is terrible news that Paradise has been coverd .Anyone got a noose?
I understand what William (by the way,welcome to the forums) is trying to say.In my job I meet a lot of die hard Meat Loaf fans who for some reason are amazed when I tell them there is actually a Bat II .
It is a shame when great songs suffer from overkill.But without that much exposure new generations might never learn about it.If you ask every Meat Loaf fan what was yout first Meat song?,you would not get many different answers.
I still enjoy Paradise (thankfully) but there are songs by other people which I though got real old real quick .
The Flying Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2003, 21:40   #23
heat
Rampant Loafer...

I love this one - loads of great memories associated with it, but also what a utterly fantastic song - i just love it!!!

9/10

Heat
xxx
heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2003, 22:18   #24
evil nickname

STOP RIGHT THERE!

Actually, there is another cover version of Paradise by the Frisian (region of the Netherlands) group called De Kast. It's in het Fries (as we call it) and lyrics (both in Fries and Dutch) can be found here, amonst places.

Since I utterly detest that band (and as I said before, don't go completely nuts for Paradise) I can't say I like this version, but if you feel like tracking it down... hunt ahead!
Old 11 Jun 2003, 20:15   #25
QT
Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil nickname
STOP RIGHT THERE!

Actually, there is another cover version of Paradise by the Frisian (region of the Netherlands) group called De Kast. It's in het Fries (as we call it) and lyrics (both in Fries and Dutch) can be found here, amonst places.

Since I utterly detest that band (and as I said before, don't go completely nuts for Paradise) I can't say I like this version, but if you feel like tracking it down... hunt ahead!
Nice: A translation in "Fries". Only by read the lyrics I think this is better than the Paul de Leeuw-version. Than version is too short and the lyrics are translated, but the humor and the details of the lyrics are dissappeared Probably it's nearly impossible to make a good translation from a song with Steinman-lyrics, but it seems the "De Kast"-translation is quite good!
QT is offline   Reply With Quote