mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages » Lost Boys and Golden Girls

Old 24 Feb 2017, 22:18   #76
madagascar
Super Loafer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario View Post
last time i checked women can't get erections.....
...from you?
madagascar is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 25 Feb 2017, 08:52   #77
GDW
Super Loafer

Nipples!
GDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2017, 08:59   #78
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
Safe Sex, Rebel Without A Clue and Ravishing are definitely women's songs.
Id say they are "People who are interested in Men" songs
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 25 Feb 2017, 09:29   #79
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

With minor changes of lyric from a different POV, maybe those songs could work for men. But that's a very big maybe.
letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2017, 12:17   #80
Wario

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgotoofar View Post
With minor changes of lyric from a different POV, maybe those songs could work for men. But that's a very big maybe.
you arent listening. its songs written for people interested in men, not just women.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 26 Feb 2017, 14:57   #81
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

Yes, because every single person interested in men is a "gullible girl" ("Safe Sex") or has been "learning all the roles" "from Dirty Harry to Madonna" ("Rebel Without a Clue"). As a "person interested in men," trust me when I say, they're clearly written for women. It doesn't negate what Tyce is doing, nor is such a statement intended to. It's just facts. Some stuff that is explicitly written for and about women would need a real stretch to be sung by a "person interested in men," and some wouldn't, and there's nothing wrong with pointing it out.
Old 26 Feb 2017, 16:45   #82
proctorloaf
Super Loafer

*BOOH the Musical Spoilers in this post*

Jim constantly re-uses melodies for projects and re-writes lyrics. Songs are never set, they are remodelled over and over again. So songs can of course be remodelled for male or female performers. Most of the BOOH the musical numbers are duets in one way or another.

'No-one ever said I was a naive guy' would work for the opening line of Safe Sex and I don't think that you'd need to change any other lyric.

In all honestly I can't believe that Meat Loaf fans are talking about 'male' and 'female' songs. Meat always says that a singer just has to own a song. Meat often talks about how Total Eclipse of the Heart was meant to be on Midnight at the Lost and Found.

Heaven can wait was originally sung by Ellen Foley playing Wendy in Neverland. The demo is by Bette Midler. It's sung in the Musical by a female. Is Heaven Can Wait a 'girl's song'?
proctorloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 26 Feb 2017, 17:58   #83
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by proctorloaf View Post
'No-one ever said I was a naive guy' would work for the opening line of Safe Sex and I don't think that you'd need to change any other lyric.
To answer the first, doesn't quite scan does it, and to answer the second, "You're not such an innocent boy" comes to mind.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's impossible, but I am saying it requires more emendation than, say, just letting a guy sing "Holding Out for a Hero" and letting it speak for itself.
Old 26 Feb 2017, 22:02   #84
Wario

Quote:
Yes, because every single person interested in men is a "gullible girl" ("Safe Sex") or has been "learning all the roles" "from Dirty Harry to Madonna" ("Rebel Without a Clue"). As a "person interested in men," trust me when I say, they're clearly written for women. It doesn't negate what Tyce is doing, nor is such a statement intended to. It's just facts. Some stuff that is explicitly written for and about women would need a real stretch to be sung by a "person interested in men," and some wouldn't, and there's nothing wrong with pointing it out.
obviously thatsc ause women are singing them if it was a guy those female things would be changed liked to "gullible girl". madonna can be considered a feminine guy term
Old 26 Feb 2017, 22:41   #85
ashkent7
Super Loafer

I can't help feeling like I've walked into Equality and Diversity PC Police 101.

Over the years there have been any number of things that have been wrong in terms of equality, but I don't believe every single thing should have to be for both a man or woman. There are songs that were written for men, songs written for women, and songs that have no gender about them (I count Heaven Can Wait as the latter). So to me there is nothing wrong in a song being a male or female only song.

If like Safe Sex you have to change words to make it right in context, then effectively the original song is still a song that was written for a woman with a new version that has been written for a man to sing. Two different songs for two different people.

If you want to look at a pop song that sums it up take a look at I Kissed A Girl by Katy Perry. It's a song sung by a woman about kissing a woman. If you run through the lyrics though, that could easily be sung by a bisexual male. Some songs are written that way naturally without any shoehorning, others aren't in which case you are technically creating a new song to make it fit.

That's my simplistic view of it anyway.
ashkent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Users Like This Post.
Old 27 Feb 2017, 18:18   #86
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario View Post
obviously thatsc ause women are singing them if it was a guy those female things would be changed liked to "gullible girl". madonna can be considered a feminine guy term
My signature is the prime reason I don't really give a shit about anything you have to say on the subject. If you can't give it more than the level of thought that goes into "if it's from a person interested in men, that means I could sing it and no one could judge"...

Last edited by letsgotoofar; 27 Feb 2017 at 18:23.
Old 27 Feb 2017, 19:16   #87
anotherday
Super Loafer

Quote:
My signature is the prime reason I don't really give a shit about anything you have to say on the subject. If you can't give it more than the level of thought that goes into "if it's from a person interested in men, that means I could sing it and no one could judge"...
Nice personal attack there, LGTF.
anotherday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2017, 22:20   #88
Wario

Quote:
AHAHAHAHA true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherday View Post
Nice personal attack there, LGTF.
its a (very good) jab. i got a kick outta it. never be afraid to get good ones in, we are all just avatars.
Old 27 Feb 2017, 22:48   #89
CarylB
Mega Loafer

This .. and nothing simplistic about it .. just clear, uncomplicated and unambiguous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkent7 View Post
If like Safe Sex you have to change words to make it right in context, then effectively the original song is still a song that was written for a woman with a new version that has been written for a man to sing. Two different songs for two different people.
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2017, 14:26   #90
eltmatt
Super Loafer

Haha as if anyone here is arguing over the ambiguity of Jim's songs, its very clear he swings both ways.
eltmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 01 Mar 2017, 01:18   #91
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

Yeah, if both ways point in the direction of men... he's never come right out and said it, but his Facebook likes (and the constant emphasis on scantily clad males in his music videos) tell the whole story. (Not that it matters; as I said elsewhere in the thread, I'm a man into men.)
Old 02 Mar 2017, 17:01   #92
eltmatt
Super Loafer

exactly and *BAT MUSICAL SPOILER*

One of the main plots in the musical is Tink being in love with Strat.
Old 03 Mar 2017, 01:27   #93
mindnick1
Sound Guy

ok great, so now thats solved....

Anyone on the east coast want a comp for the Tyce show? March 9th in NYC?

NJM
mindnick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 10:55   #94
proctorloaf
Super Loafer

LOVE the album. In particular what's been done with I'll Kill You if you don't come back - and the piano on the acoustic tracks is sublime but guys WHERE THE F ARE THE BACKGROUND VOCALS???

(And you should really have got Ellen Foley, or anyone else: Aaron Tviet, to do the duet bit in Anything for love')

All in all GOOD JOB tho :)
1 User Dislikes This Post.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 16:23   #95
eltmatt
Super Loafer

When will it be on Spotify?
Old 10 Mar 2017, 17:19   #96
MarkS
Super Loafer

I think Tyce may now have the definitive version of Holding out for a Hero, very rocking version
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2017, 17:49   #97
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Is it available digitally? I don't do itunes, but use the other services.
loaferman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2017, 19:52   #98
proctorloaf
Super Loafer

I've been listening to this all day. It's all coming back to me now OMG what emotion. I've been in tears doing Arts Marketing, all day. Ha!

I LOVE that we now have an album which contains Hero, Total Eclipse and It's all coming back to me now. They are the back bone of the album for me. They are sisters, they belong together and now they're home.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 20:05   #99
nightinr
Super Loafer

When is this out in the Uk? Can't see it in UK Amazon?
nightinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2017, 21:08   #100
Evil One
Mega Loafer

I think it's bland. It doesn't kick me in the bollocks.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote