Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages

Old 01 Mar 2017, 11:58   #501
proctorloaf
Super Loafer

Is it awful that I didn't notice LOL - I didn't note down the songs on the opening night, I just took it all in. I really think that The Future Aint What It Used to Be should be in the show. I'd even push for a We're Still the Children/Future number.

I think that the pace of Act 2 is great!

Bringing my sister tomorrow :)
proctorloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 02 Mar 2017, 01:57   #502
eddy<meat-loaf>rocky
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWriterGuy View Post
Good Girls was cut, too!
that was a good song in the show why have they cut that for? each time i go i will see a different version of the show lol i suppose they want to get it right for the 14th march all these changes dose this mean the original programs are going to be worth more later on
eddy<meat-loaf>rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 02 Mar 2017, 16:14   #503
eltmatt
Super Loafer

Well, that was amazing. The amount of time and thought gone into the set is amazing with all the special effects, the water, the bike , the car, the bats, live action being filmed on different levels onto screens, this like no other musical ive ever seen and ive seen all the top ones. The songs are obviously amazing, my only criticism is some of the vocals are not as powerful as I'd like, Strat (Andrew), and Sloane (Sharon) are the strongest imo.

I was sat front row and couldn't actually see half of the stage due to the set coming right forwards, also the dialogue was quite quiet as was the whole thing? There was a lot more talking than I expected, not a bad thing. I do feel some of the choreography needs taming, the songs and their narratives are powerful enough without 10 people doing the macarena in the background. Good Girls go to heaven wasn't missed, id rather that was cut than Dead Ringer. I think Lemon should be in, its listed on the song lists in the foyer with the top hits? Was Making love out of nothing at all ever in?

Anyway Andrew is amazing and this musical has to be a hit! I will be going back ASAP
eltmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 02 Mar 2017, 21:01   #504
Michael Marxen
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltmatt View Post
Was Making love out of nothing at all ever in?
so thats cut too?
Michael Marxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2017, 00:03   #505
eltmatt
Super Loafer

Seems that way, theres no need to cut anything else, if anything I want more in!
Old 03 Mar 2017, 12:38   #506
ashkent7
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Marxen View Post
so thats cut too?
Which is a shame as I would have liked to hear the stage arrangement/version of that.
ashkent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2017, 14:26   #507
K1ttycat
Super Loafer

Location:  Orig. from Milwaukee, WI now in Cheadle Hulme,ENG for 21 years

Oh no! I loved Good Girls and especially Making Love Out of Nothing at All - I've had that stuck in my head for the past week. The lines "I know just where to touch you" from there on was incredibly moving and sent tingles through me. It made a huge impact seeing/hearing those lines been sung to RavenI thought that scene was beautiful. I loved the intimacy that came with it. Was looking forward to having that on the soundtrack.

Last edited by K1ttycat; 03 Mar 2017 at 14:32.
K1ttycat is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 03 Mar 2017, 14:35   #508
nightinr
Super Loafer

It's very strange they are cutting songs...if anything I think the show could have done with another 10 mins in the second half.
nightinr is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 03 Mar 2017, 15:12   #509
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1ttycat View Post
Oh no! I loved Good Girls and especially Making Love Out of Nothing at All - I've had that stuck in my head for the past week. The lines "I know just where to touch you" from there on was incredibly moving and sent tingles through me. It made a huge impact seeing/hearing those lines been sung to RavenI thought that scene was beautiful. I loved the intimacy that came with it. Was looking forward to having that on the soundtrack.
Good Girls and Making Love plus Lemon could all still be on the soundtrack or at least bonus tracks.

Most cast albums include the cut songs. Little Shop, Hairspray, Sweeney Todd to name a few
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 03 Mar 2017, 16:58   #510
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

If we included every song that's been in and out of this show in writing, pre-production, and rehearsals, you'd have an album at least four hours long.
letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 03 Mar 2017, 17:02   #511
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgotoofar View Post
If we included every song that's been in and out of this show in writing, pre-production, and rehearsals, you'd have an album at least four hours long.
songs that made it to the stage in front of an audience tho is a different story

BFG and Lemon were cut late game so they could very well be included on a soundtrack if its already been recorded
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2017, 17:41   #512
eddy<meat-loaf>rocky
Super Loafer

i saw it week it first opened and it was amazing and i saw it yesterday afternoon and loved the new graphics at the beginning and opening of all revved up introducing the characters i knew before going about the songs what were cut but once i was watching totally forgot about it and i dident miss them not being in even though i love them songs
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 03 Mar 2017, 19:26   #513
K1ttycat
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario View Post
Good Girls and Making Love plus Lemon could all still be on the soundtrack or at least bonus tracks.

Most cast albums include the cut songs. Little Shop, Hairspray, Sweeney Todd to name a few
Oh I hope so! I guess I just felt that the Making Love scene brought to light more of an emotional connection between Strat and Raven. It's late at night, the moonlight is glowing, they are all alone... It brought a sense of maturity to the relationship and gave their relationship more depth. I think every woman/girl dreams of hearing such honest yet emotional words come from someone they love and at the same time it can be difficult for the man to bring himself to say them ... so when he does it's like YES!!! :)
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 04 Mar 2017, 10:10   #514
proctorloaf
Super Loafer

*Spoilers and opinion*

Making Love should go back in please! PLEASE! Really looking forward to what show the team choose to present for press night. Act 2 is phenomenal! Act 1 still has some work to do IMO.

Also I'm very sorry to admit this but for me the choreography in Act 1 just doesn't work at all. The only dance number that works for me is Took the Words - it has a clear storyline.

This Capoeira-style doesn't work for me, the meaning isn't clear in most of the pieces and in Act 1, it's distracting from the amazing vocal performances.

The solo before Just Won't Quite needs to go - it looks like bad break dance.

*I'm getting critical - I love it so much - these are just my opinions. Fully aware that I didn't get the directing gig this time LOL. As Jay said to me. The show is BANANAS*

I think that the set up in Act 1 could do with a bit more clarity.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 04 Mar 2017, 11:33   #515
nightinr
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by proctorloaf View Post
*Spoilers and opinion*

Making Love should go back in please! PLEASE! Really looking forward to what show the team choose to present for press night. Act 2 is phenomenal! Act 1 still has some work to do IMO.

Also I'm very sorry to admit this but for me the choreography in Act 1 just doesn't work at all. The only dance number that works for me is Took the Words - it has a clear storyline.

This Capoeira-style doesn't work for me, the meaning isn't clear in most of the pieces and in Act 1, it's distracting from the amazing vocal performances.

*I'm getting critical - I love it so much - these are just my opinions. Fully aware that I didn't get the directing gig this time LOL. As Jay said to me. The show is BANANAS*

I went with two people who were musical regulars, they liked Meat Loaf music but weren't real fans. They enjoyed the musical but I asked how does it compare to Lion King, Wicked etc. They smiled and both said the show isn't as good as the top musicals.

This is the problem the show has...it can't just rely on Meat Loaf fans because in all honesty there isn't that many of us!
nightinr is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 04 Mar 2017, 12:29   #516
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightinr View Post
I went with two people who were musical regulars, they liked Meat Loaf music but weren't real fans. They enjoyed the musical but I asked how does it compare to Lion King, Wicked etc. They smiled and both said the show isn't as good as the top musicals.
Yet they charge the same/more than those shows.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2017, 13:03   #517
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

Well, when you can finance a musical inexpensively, we'll be glad to hear what you have to say about the price of stalls seats.
letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 04 Mar 2017, 14:15   #518
K1ttycat
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightinr View Post

This is the problem the show has...it can't just rely on Meat Loaf fans because in all honesty there isn't that many of us!
That's interesting! I've seen Lion King and to be honest, while it was good, it didn't blow me away - and the film is my second favorite Disney film. I've seen Wicked twice, once in NY and when it was last at the Lowry. Again, enjoyable but it lost me along the way and neither of them made everything in my life vanish for those 2.5 hours like Bat Out of Hell did.

I am a big ALW fan and am usually very impressed with the staging and the whole production of his shows (so maybe that's why Lion King and Wicked didn't quite do it for me), and I think Bat tops that - with the camera work and the staging, it was just a new element that I've never seen before.

I do agree re: ML fans. I desperately want to go again, but finding someone to go with is proving difficult because none of my friends are Meat Loaf fans, and people seem to have the idea that this is a Meat Loaf tribute show and don't realise that it is a full theatrical production that features songs that Meat had once performed. Big difference! I've noticed on FB that even people who are fans seem to be going into the performance not realising what they are actually going to see. Perhaps more theatrical aspects need to be promoted rather than just the Bat Out of Hell cover. I have one friend who just sees the words "bat" and "hell" and I think she's convinced it's some sort of dark cult show. :)
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 04 Mar 2017, 14:34   #519
proctorloaf
Super Loafer

Bat out of Hell is a top musical - Wicked, The Lion King (I've worked on the UK Tour of both of these) didn't become great musicals over night. They were in development for years. Bat isn't finished. The music is better than both Wicked and Lion King IMO.

I think the show is treading the line between Opera form and Musical Theatre and it needs to choose which one it is. It's more an opera to me. I think that the whole thing should be sung through.

I'm confident that this show will stand next to Tanz Der Vampire (for me the best musical in the history of Musical Theatre)

Why is a ticket so expensive? Because the producers have invested millions in the show and need to recoup the cost for their investors. Why is the show more expensive than Les Mis? Because in 25+ years Les Mis has made millions of pound of profit, now it has lower running costs than a brand new show and has a better profit margin.

Theatre set up costs are MASSIVE. I worked on a Panto in 2008 that cost a million pounds to put on.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 04 Mar 2017, 15:31   #520
eltmatt
Super Loafer

It's ok the ticket price is worth every penny to see this, only problem is drawing in the non-Loaf/Steinman fans. People may think its more of a We Will Rock You/Mamma Mia type cash in.

I agree about the choreography, the songs are that strong they dont need a cast of people waving their arms behind. It adds nothing, if anything it takes away from the songs imo!
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 04 Mar 2017, 17:17   #521
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by proctorloaf View Post
*Spoilers and opinion*

Can't discuss -- but some of the points above -- you're not wrong Just so glad that everyone is enjoying it (last week people we re-booking on their way out -- the response has been incredible).
ThatWriterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 05 Mar 2017, 03:02   #522
eddy<meat-loaf>rocky
Super Loafer

i also have experience in theater and producing and writing my own play it took my not as long has jim to get it put on and when i did it ran for 3 nights and the the first night was okie over ran but the 2nd night had a few changes and the 3rd night there was a lot of changes and theater shows dose cost a lot of money to put on and thirs factors what an audience's dosent think about too from room hire for the auditions to set to light sound costume rehearsal space getting all equipment pat testing and venue hire to and thirs the electricity of the building to what the company/show uses and any other things a show need and a hell a lot of work has gone in to bat out of hell and thats why tickets are so expensive and i saw lion king and that dident impress me i have seen over 50 musical shows since 2004 and my first being whistle down the wind another jim steinman show and out of all them bat out of hell is the best ever i have seen you know why they have gone so far out from the start to announcing the big launch in london and manchester witch i attended i have felt i have been on the same journey with the cast from day 1 of rehearsal to now. they have been doing post in rehearsal showing fans whats going on make fans feel part of their rehearsal process to giveing us live facebook videos to pics of the get in in manchester and thats very rear for a show to let the fans be part of the whole process thats why this is different to any other show what has been staged o is being staged
Old 05 Mar 2017, 20:50   #523
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltmatt View Post
Seems that way, theres no need to cut anything else, if anything I want more in!
more... now there's a song I didn't expect to appear

(Only messing)
duke knooby is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 01:12   #524
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Just got back from seeing it tonight and I'm delighted to report that the musical is an absolute blast. The set is genius, the songs of course sublime and brilliantly performed, it's colourful, loud, fun, and inventive.

Body is awesome and it was a real treat to see that live. Bat is staged superbly. Paradise ends with something I've never seen before or will again.

Seeing the songs I / we love interpreted in this way was an absolute joy and brings new insight and meaning to the songs. And as opposed to e.g. mamma Mia where you think oh that song works surprisingly well in that setting, it is clear that these songs were designed for these characters and situations. You know like a REAL musical.

Any constructive suggestions? Well only a very small number of very minor things, being really picky. I have no expertise in musicals either so I may well be talking out of my arse lol. But just some thoughts as an audience member.. oooh and I will try and avoid spoilers.

1. Agree with the comment on some bits of choreography in Act 1 especially on Paradise. Either needs a big injection of energy OR to maximise the quirkiness of it to make it a feature. It reminded me and the Mrs of Rocky Horror in style a little. I guess either play it large for laughs or dance the hell out of it. It just came across as a bit under done. Loving the swim wear though 😍 oh and the song itself is delivered brilliantly with a hilariously cool thing that happens at the end.

2. Tink. I wasn't entirely clear what sort of relationship he had or has with Strat, and why it was so important. A little bit more back story would really add oomph to later events. Don't get me wrong it worked well but could have been given more impact.

3. Objects. Difficult to describe my thoughts without spoilers. But umm I think it would make more sense for them to finish singing before their situation is resolved. You would imagine they would beat a hasty retreat rather than hang around for one more verse. But it is a superbly emotional and beautiful performance of the song which almost brought me to tears. Awesome.

4. Not entirely sure why Falco turns up at the end? I mean I know he has to, but maybe he should get a line or two trying to explain why he came and getting shushed or something.

5. 2 out of 3. Maybe show those characters arguing in the background of various scenes so that they have a legitimate reason to sing the song? Stellar performance of the song though 😀

6. Some of the songs seemed a bit chopped short. No need. Jim's songs are designed long. Sing em long.

That's it, really tiny bits that occurred to me.

Oh by the way please do NOT get rid of Dead Ringer. Yes it's a little gratuitous, but it's brilliantly done and a cracking tune to boot.

Anyway I am delighted that Jim's work is finally out there, and in such brilliant hands. The show is an absolute blast and worth every penny.

Congratulations to everyone involved and I wish you and the show a super long extended run!
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2017, 09:15   #525
Michael Marxen
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicLord View Post
Just got back from seeing it tonight and I'm delighted to report that the musical is an absolute blast. The set is genius, the songs of course sublime and brilliantly performed, it's colourful, loud, fun, and inventive.

Body is awesome and it was a real treat to see that live. Bat is staged superbly. Paradise ends with something I've never seen before or will again.

Seeing the songs I / we love interpreted in this way was an absolute joy and brings new insight and meaning to the songs. And as opposed to e.g. mamma Mia where you think oh that song works surprisingly well in that setting, it is clear that these songs were designed for these characters and situations. You know like a REAL musical.

Any constructive suggestions? Well only a very small number of very minor things, being really picky. I have no expertise in musicals either so I may well be talking out of my arse lol. But just some thoughts as an audience member.. oooh and I will try and avoid spoilers.

1. Agree with the comment on some bits of choreography in Act 1 especially on Paradise. Either needs a big injection of energy OR to maximise the quirkiness of it to make it a feature. It reminded me and the Mrs of Rocky Horror in style a little. I guess either play it large for laughs or dance the hell out of it. It just came across as a bit under done. Loving the swim wear though 😍 oh and the song itself is delivered brilliantly with a hilariously cool thing that happens at the end.

2. Tink. I wasn't entirely clear what sort of relationship he had or has with Strat, and why it was so important. A little bit more back story would really add oomph to later events. Don't get me wrong it worked well but could have been given more impact.

3. Objects. Difficult to describe my thoughts without spoilers. But umm I think it would make more sense for them to finish singing before their situation is resolved. You would imagine they would beat a hasty retreat rather than hang around for one more verse. But it is a superbly emotional and beautiful performance of the song which almost brought me to tears. Awesome.

4. Not entirely sure why Falco turns up at the end? I mean I know he has to, but maybe he should get a line or two trying to explain why he came and getting shushed or something.

5. 2 out of 3. Maybe show those characters arguing in the background of various scenes so that they have a legitimate reason to sing the song? Stellar performance of the song though 😀

6. Some of the songs seemed a bit chopped short. No need. Jim's songs are designed long. Sing em long.

That's it, really tiny bits that occurred to me.

Oh by the way please do NOT get rid of Dead Ringer. Yes it's a little gratuitous, but it's brilliantly done and a cracking tune to boot.

Anyway I am delighted that Jim's work is finally out there, and in such brilliant hands. The show is an absolute blast and worth every penny.

Congratulations to everyone involved and I wish you and the show a super long extended run!
After revisiting and experiencing many ongoing changes - which i.e. brought much more "Frying Pan" in 😀 - I couldn't agree more with your praise!

And your constructive suggestions especially have a point about Tink.

Though more back story and longer songs without cutting any sounds like mission impossible, all the changes they made so far worked for the better IMO.
Michael Marxen is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.