mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » Tyre Tracks & Broken Hearts

Old 29 Oct 2016, 16:20   #1
White of High
Nature's Siegfried

Default 124. Going All The Way (A Song In 6 Movements)

This is the START OUT OF HELL & ARRIVE TO HEAVEN topic.
Let's Go to Rock 'n' Roll!!!!!!!

Going All The Way (A Song In 6 Movements) (6)

This is a great song, one of the best of Jim Steinman. I liked Karine Hannah's version, except the disco part what was perfectly worked over by Paul Crook. So, why is it only 6 from me? The answer is complex.

1) I don't understand why it's a trio. The song is a little bit pointless to me with 3 singers, it would be much better as a duet.

2) Meat is breathless in the entire song, except the end where they've used too much auto-tune.

3) Karla and Ellen still has voice but they are over of their best. At 4 minutes Karla sounds in 'the fears are never very far' part very bad. Ellen's voice was auto-tuned various parts of the song, but it's 2016, everybody does.

4) Production. I like how Paul Crook has worked over the disco part, but that's all. I never liked his work on HIAHB and I think he couldn't reach the level of Bat1, Bat2 or Dead Ringer. Todd Rundgren could produce and arrange Jim Steinman songs, Paul Crook or Desmond Child cannot. That's my opinion.

So... This song is great but they missed the goal.

My score: 6
White of High is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Dislike This Post.
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 30 Oct 2016, 00:27   #2
anotherday
Super Loafer

10/10
anotherday is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 30 Oct 2016, 02:01   #3
CarylB
Mega Loafer

A mini opera in itself, just beautiful and multi-layered. The whole concept of feeling, being, brave, strong, able to be all we can be and change the world, and the inner voice that knows how much uncertainty lies beneath that, the recognition that it can be easy to see others as brave and strong when they may not feel like that, and that others see us in that way too.. I love the vocals, Ellen and Karla and the way Meat's voice comes to the fore at times and recedes at others, conveying the desires, the fears with such poignancy .. at one point his solo made the hairs stand up on my arms. Epic, emotional, grandiose .. yet the poetry resonates with our feelings. Love every one of the twelve minutes. To me it holds the soul of the album, and so fitting that in this final collaboration we again have at the heart a great epic that conveys a Meat/Steinman masterpiece so perfectly.

10/10
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 30 Oct 2016, 05:00   #4
MarkS
Super Loafer

Still my favorite song on the album and IMO the best Meat/Jim collaboration since AFL. This song really brought back the roller coaster style epics that people associate with Meat and Jim. My only complaint is the "you think I fly" lyric that meat sings that just isn't good.

Outside of that one small complaint this song is great and it is a lot of fun to hear Meat, Ellen, and Karla all back together again.

9/10
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2016, 13:28   #5
Meat Loaf_fan
Super Loafer

Going All The Way - is example of pure genius. It's long (but not boring), it has Meat (with voice full of emotions), it has Ellen Folley and Karla DeVito (and it's better than duet - at least in my opinion ), it has piano (I very like this instrument in rock songs). It's enough to say that it's kind of music poetry.

Score: 10/10 (or maybe 11/10, because it is so good to me )
Meat Loaf_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 31 Oct 2016, 14:55   #6
Adje
trying to be realistic

One of the better songs on the album but also one I got bored with pretty fast. These days, when I play it, I tend to skip parts. Like most of the songs on the album it is not necersarly better than earlier versions but at least this one stands its ground.

I give it a 7 out of 10
Adje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Nov 2016, 13:05   #7
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Overall I really like this but the ending is too long and as MarkS has already pointed out, Meat's 'You think I fly' part is not good. Also it takes too long to get going and the tempo of the second verse is too slow.

I understand why it was done as a trio, but is it any better than a duet? Would a duet with Karla, and Meat singing in a higher key have been better? Save Ellen to duet on Souvenirs.

Overall though it gets an 8.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 03 Nov 2016, 12:46   #8
ashkent7
Super Loafer

10/10 all the way for me.

It has the stop/start structure and build up to a climax flow of Anything for Love.

It brings something new with every movement.

The last six minutes is like the coda of Lemon....completely unnecessarily long but the best thing about the song.

The piano piece between the last chorus and the say a prayer section is effective what is always missing from non-Steinman songs of Meats. Whatever instrument - be it saxophone, guitar or piano - solos always have melody and feel like they go somewhere (I'm thinking the guitar into the last verse of Frying pan, the sax in the more recent live versions of Rock and Roll Dreams, the live and original break in Good Girls, Surf's Up, Lost Boys and Golden girls...it goes on) and the last few seconds seamlessly lead you back to the words.

The power of the song, the melodies, the drag you along whether you like it or not feel of the whole thing.

The opening line just to hit me as out...not because it is flat or out of tune because it's not. it's just the timbre of Meat's voice now. And if you try to sing that opening in that key it sounds the same because it is so low, but that has all fallen by the wayside for me now and just become part of the song. I don't feel any of it is out of place.

So deserves an equally epic video so bring it on.
ashkent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 03 Nov 2016, 13:04   #9
stretch37
Mega Loafer

There's 2 or 3 parts that make me cry. I don't usually cry when I listen to music unless it is profound. I savour the energy throughout the song, except maybe the last 30 or 40 seconds of it, which seems drawn out a bit.

That to me makes this song feel like 10/10 in the moment.

On days where I'm more impatient, the sheer length of it drives me nuts. The end seems to go on forever. Some parts are so slow and drawn out. "You see me cry like a-n-a-n-g-e-l w-i-t-h-o-u-t a-n-e-y-c-a-a-r-e". Those are the days I switch to Motorhead and scream to it. Those days it feels like a 7/10.

Overall I'd say 8.5-9/10. Damn near impossible to rate a Meat Loaf song on BTWA with a single rating. I have more than 1 emotional state...Meat's songs take on different meanings different days and in different situations.

Great song and I can't wait for the music video. Well actually, I can, and I have no choice but to do so. But I have a feeling it's going to be better than the Los Angeloser video
stretch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 13 Nov 2016, 16:09   #10
nightinr
Super Loafer

Really enjoy this song. Although Meat's vocals aren't great it is worthy to be on any Meat Loaf album.

9/10
nightinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Dec 2016, 13:36   #11
JennaG
Mega Loafer

Without a doubt this has to be my favourite track on the album. It literally captured my attention from the first play and is amongst one of the most frequently played tracks on my Meat Loaf playlist.

I appreciate that some people are not liking the lower key that Meat is using on this track but I feel that it is a perfect contrast to the higher voices of Karla and Ellen. I feel that the trio works and gives an additional depth and variety to the song that it may not have had as a duet.

Love it! 10/10
JennaG is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 07 Dec 2016, 16:51   #12
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

I agree with Jenna.
To me this is one of the best songs Meat has ever recorded.

The feeling I had when I listened to it the first few times to me conjured up everything I've ever loved about Meat's music. It took me back to Anything for Love & Bat (also Paradise). To me it is act 3 or act 4 in that series. Bat, Paradise, AFL, GATW. or just Bat, AFL and then GATW. In that way it is then interesting that Meat sings solo on Bat, duet on AFL and trio on GATW.

Love the heroic Top Gun-esque intro, the stunning strong vocals from Ellen & Karla (by far the best vocals on the album), the anticipation waiting for Meat's "You think I fly...." solo followed by relentless repetition of the final chorus which to me acts as a way of flicking through Meat's entire music history. "Going all the way is just the start..." indeed!

Perfection.

A billion / 10.

Such a shame many will never hear the long version / longer with the crap radio edit that was online and was used for the disappointing video
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 07 Dec 2016, 21:53   #13
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

this one hasn't connected with me at all. neither like, nor dislike, so a 5.
duke knooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2017, 04:04   #14
Elijah's way
Soul Auctioneer

My opinion has completely changed on this song and the entire album. After 4 months of listing off and on this song has become very boring to me and it seems to last for ever. The producing is lacking in grandeur. And Meat's voice is painful to listen to as well as Ellen's. Karla's voice and the background vocals are the only good thing about this song.

3/10
Elijah's way is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 24 Nov 2021, 22:06   #15
Frying Bat
Loafer

(From this moment) The average score is 8.69
Frying Bat is offline   Reply With Quote