PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » mlukfc.com » Feedback Central

Old 03 Nov 2016, 19:54   #1
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...

Default "tribute Talk" should put put on the front page

Just saying, I feel like the "Tribute Talk" section should be put on the front page.

Just food for thought. Their seems to have always been a stigma around here that I dont enjoy about tribute acts. Sucks, itd be great to have Pete loaf and Maet Loaf and others come back and we could all promote each others shows.

But the lack of interest and negative responses here is just a pity.

We should start embracing it as a part of the Meat Loaf general discussion, not shove it in with off topic and freds world. its more than that now, we are also keeping Jims songs alive.

food for thought.
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Dislikes This Post.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 03 Nov 2016, 20:17   #2
Adje
trying to be realistic

LOL I posted this in the other thread. But to clarify, I say NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario View Post
the stigma around here of tributes is appalling. The tribute section of the forum isnt even shown on the main page. Other fansites are much more supportive of tribute acts.
First of all Chris, I really enjoy to see you being able to do things that you are pasionate about. That said, I belong amongst those people. For a few simple reasons:

- For me it's not about a song but about the combination with the artist performing. It is very rare for someone to make an existing song 'their own' (although there are exceptions of course) and Meat Loaf is the kind of artist that is hard to replace in that matter. That doesn't mean there aren't performers who can sing a song -vocally- better, butter the 'package' is missing. So Meat Loaf tribute bands are simply a hit and miss to me.

- Other fansites are more positive etc. Perhaps that is true. But most of these artist 'just' sing a song. This is the reason I became a Meat Loaf fan and not a Rod Stewart fan, so to speak. I love Rod's songs but he doesn't perform them as Meat performs his songs. Or Billy Joel, who is more up your alley. Meat isn't the only artist who brings that passion, even to his album tracks, not just live, but a big majority of the artist are 'just' singers. And tributing them is merely being able to sing their songs well.

- Why is a tribute band needed anyway. For example, you work hard on creating a set. Why not put that effort in songs of your own and add cover songs for the crowd so they have some songs they recognize. Because even with all the hard work you're doing, a tribute act just sound lazy and being unable to be creative yourself, to me. I know those are harsh words and I know you aren't lazy or uncreative at all, but that is what 'Tribute act' sounds like to me. I rather see a band do something original

I know what meat Loaf looks and sounds like. I don't need to see what some ordinary bloke looks like as Meat Loaf. But that is just my opinion
Adje is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 03 Nov 2016, 20:32   #3
Wario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adje View Post
First of all Chris, I really enjoy to see you being able to do things that you are pasionate about. That said, I belong amongst those people. For a few simple reasons:

- For me it's not about a song but about the combination with the artist performing. It is very rare for someone to make an existing song 'their own' (although there are exceptions of course) and Meat Loaf is the kind of artist that is hard to replace in that matter. That doesn't mean there aren't performers who can sing a song -vocally- better, butter the 'package' is missing. So Meat Loaf tribute bands are simply a hit and miss to me.

- Other fansites are more positive etc. Perhaps that is true. But most of these artist 'just' sing a song. This is the reason I became a Meat Loaf fan and not a Rod Stewart fan, so to speak. I love Rod's songs but he doesn't perform them as Meat performs his songs. Or Billy Joel, who is more up your alley. Meat isn't the only artist who brings that passion, even to his album tracks, not just live, but a big majority of the artist are 'just' singers. And tributing them is merely being able to sing their songs well.

- Why is a tribute band needed anyway. For example, you work hard on creating a set. Why not put that effort in songs of your own and add cover songs for the crowd so they have some songs they recognize. Because even with all the hard work you're doing, a tribute act just sound lazy and being unable to be creative yourself, to me. I know those are harsh words and I know you aren't lazy or uncreative at all, but that is what 'Tribute act' sounds like to me. I rather see a band do something original

I know what meat Loaf looks and sounds like. I don't need to see what some ordinary bloke looks like as Meat Loaf. But that is just my opinion
Than get that off your mind, thats not what a tribute act is.
respectfully disagree whole heartidly.

By that definition Tyce is a tribute act, yet hes treated as a general messages kinda thing.

Its easier to get gigs as a tribute act and its more fun, i dont have the passion of creating my own music.

its fans celebrating the music. some people just cant get that thru their heads.

Im done with this site for good.
Old 03 Nov 2016, 20:46   #4
Adje
trying to be realistic

Quote:
Because of this? Chris, you do showbusiness. This is going to happen to you more than often, dude.

Besides it is not just 'celebrating' the music. If that was the case all those tribute folks like that Steve Steinman guy and such wouldn't charge what they charge. it's a living for them. In my eyes they are basically parasiting on the succes of an artist that had to work his ass off to become where he is now (and that goed not just for Meat but any artist).

The fact that I wholeheartly disagree with you shouldn't matter to you though. As you said, you have fun with it. You don't carry the ambition to make your own music. You just want to celebrate those songs. And again, I am happy you are able to do so. But, just like that bat musical, I am not your targeted audience and i don't share the same opinion. That happens but in the end it's nothing more than 2 different opinions.

You have people visiting your gigs, you have fun on the stage. That is what should matter to you. Why do you care if I -or others- enjoy tribute acts.
Adje is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 03 Nov 2016, 21:04   #5
Wario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adje View Post
Because of this? Chris, you do showbusiness. This is going to happen to you more than often, dude.

Besides it is not just 'celebrating' the music. If that was the case all those tribute folks like that Steve Steinman guy and such wouldn't charge what they charge. it's a living for them. In my eyes they are basically parasiting on the succes of an artist that had to work his ass off to become where he is now (and that goed not just for Meat but any artist).

The fact that I wholeheartly disagree with you shouldn't matter to you though. As you said, you have fun with it. You don't carry the ambition to make your own music. You just want to celebrate those songs. And again, I am happy you are able to do so. But, just like that bat musical, I am not your targeted audience and i don't share the same opinion. That happens but in the end it's nothing more than 2 different opinions.

You have people visiting your gigs, you have fun on the stage. That is what should matter to you. Why do you care if I -or others- enjoy tribute acts.
Since Billy hired a tribute act, Mike DelGudice, as guitarist and vocalist the billy community universally has embraced any and every tribute around with undying love and support.

Maybe im spoiled from the billy FB group and fan community im apart of, or maybe that fanbase just has more respect than overthinking things and putting a negative connotation over something that's supposed to be positive.
maybe it has to take meat hiring steve steinman or Tyce.

it costs money to do anything, yes its a living. and Steve isnt being a parasite.

Meat and Jim worked their asses off to get their album heard, regardless if they played their music or someone else. the fact is the music is being heard and enjoyed.

The Meat Loaf community just does not get it. We are gonna eventually do GOING ALL THE WAY soon, and bring that to live audiences Meat can't at the present time.

And yes, ive made the decision months ago. i just lurke now. a shadow of my former self.
Old 03 Nov 2016, 21:04   #6
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

Quote:
some people just cant get that thru their heads.

But -- that was your best impression of Meat Loaf yet!!! You can't leave now Chris -- you've nailed it

I am of course just teasing. Their should be plenty of room here to discuss tribute acts (though I'd argue that Tyce definitely DOESN'T fall into that category -- record label, record deal, face time with Jim, etc.).
ThatWriterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
7 Users Like This Post.
Old 03 Nov 2016, 21:08   #7
Wario

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWriterGuy View Post
But -- that was your best impression of Meat Loaf yet!!! You can't leave now Chris -- you've nailed it
That is actually a REALLY good one.
I tell everyone to not tell me their teasing. ruins the punch line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWriterGuy View Post
though I'd argue that Tyce definitely DOESN'T fall into that category -- record label, record deal, face time with Jim, etc.).
No he does, Love what Tyce is accomplishing. but we are in the same category. He, like us, is keeping jim and meats music alive. record label or no record label.
1 User Dislikes This Post.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 04 Nov 2016, 00:34   #8
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

I have to say I have no issue with tribute acts. From memory I have seen a Madness one and an ABBA one and they were both excellent.

However Meat is so much more than just a singer or a performer. Meat creates MAGIC on that stage. There is something spine tingling and soul stirring about what he does that I think would be extraordinarily hard for any tribute to capture.

That's not to say I wouldn't enjoy a tribute. I'm sure I would.

But even most other live acts don't capture that same magic. Or maybe I should say just don't connect directly with my soul in the way Meat does.

Robbie Williams... great entertainer, fun sore, toe tapping tunes. But not that x factor (believe me I wish there was a better word for it!)

The Beach Boys... brilliant fun, stonking tunes, but they are just singers.

Jools Holland... amazing musicianship. But not that connection.

Interestingly enough the one performer who came damn close was Michael Ball. That man can sing and knows how to own a room.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I love hearing other people take on Steinman or Meat tunes as a tribute or a cover our whatever.

But Meat adds so much more to the performance that is hard to describe and extremely difficult to replicate.
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 04 Nov 2016, 03:14   #9
Wario

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicLord View Post
I have to say I have no issue with tribute acts. From memory I have seen a Madness one and an ABBA one and they were both excellent.

However Meat is so much more than just a singer or a performer. Meat creates MAGIC on that stage. There is something spine tingling and soul stirring about what he does that I think would be extraordinarily hard for any tribute to capture.

That's not to say I wouldn't enjoy a tribute. I'm sure I would.

But even most other live acts don't capture that same magic. Or maybe I should say just don't connect directly with my soul in the way Meat does.

Robbie Williams... great entertainer, fun sore, toe tapping tunes. But not that x factor (believe me I wish there was a better word for it!)

The Beach Boys... brilliant fun, stonking tunes, but they are just singers.

Jools Holland... amazing musicianship. But not that connection.

Interestingly enough the one performer who came damn close was Michael Ball. That man can sing and knows how to own a room.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I love hearing other people take on Steinman or Meat tunes as a tribute or a cover our whatever.

But Meat adds so much more to the performance that is hard to describe and extremely difficult to replicate.
regardless of how different meat is or not, tributes are all one and the same.
And should be respected as such
Old 05 Nov 2016, 16:09   #10
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

Quote:
tribute (n.) -- an act, statement, or gift that is intended to show gratitude, respect, or admiration.
Who, reading the definition of that word, could argue that what Wario, or Sean Maloney, or Steve Steinman, or Peat Loaf, or All Revved Up or Anything for Loaf (both based in NY), to name a few, are doing is not created with the best of intentions?

The band or performer to which these acts pay tribute is highly popular, or else why would they? They must admire the original performer, or else why would they play their songs, and sometimes even go so far as to dress in their style?

As of September 11 this year, Meat stated on this forum that Braver was his last record, and he doesn't believe there will be any more tours. So who's going to carry that torch forward? The Bat musical will help, but whilst incorporating many of the songs that Meat made famous on his records, it involves a fictional story entirely unrelated to Meat Loaf. Tyce's record will help, but as we learned when his own guitarist and co-producer posted here, some people liked it for what it was, but most dismissed it with "not my cup of tea" (read: it's not Meat).

Who carries the banner forward? Who gives us a glimpse, however hazy, at the Meat that used to be? The tribute acts. Sooner or later, that's as close as we're gonna get to Meat in the flesh. Soon, all we'll have is the tributes. And I understand why we (and probably Meat as well) are gun-shy about it. One tribute act created such a negative impression that Meat had to sue him for domain squatting, and his name is still on the swear filter list. I get it. But they're not all him. Some of them (Wario in particular) clearly have a passion and love for the man's work, and they aim to help carry the torch forward. So why don't we offer them a proper place? No one's even saying "pride of place," they don't want undue attention. They just want attention, period. Is it so hard to accord them that, happily or otherwise?
letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 05 Nov 2016, 20:16   #11
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

I don't have any problem with people discussing tribute acts, but I'm not personally a big fan of them. I enjoy them more if the artists in question aren't around anymore, such as Elvis or the Beatles, but if it's an artist I know well and/ or love, it just makes me miss seeing the real thing. There is a Springsteen tribute act I have seen a couple of times, and they are very good- to the point that the lead singer has Bruce's moves down so well that I find it a bit creepy. Just my reaction.

I totally understand about wanting to keep the music alive, but I would rather see a great band just play the tunes while being themselves. Chris, you are a talented singer, and I would love to see more Chris and less Meat in your performance. Just be yourself!
Julie in the rv mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 05 Nov 2016, 23:37   #12
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

Is that a reason why Tribute Talk shouldn't be featured on the front page, though?
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 05 Nov 2016, 23:58   #13
Wario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie in the rv mirror View Post
I don't have any problem with people discussing tribute acts, but I'm not personally a big fan of them. I enjoy them more if the artists in question aren't around anymore, such as Elvis or the Beatles, but if it's an artist I know well and/ or love, it just makes me miss seeing the real thing. There is a Springsteen tribute act I have seen a couple of times, and they are very good- to the point that the lead singer has Bruce's moves down so well that I find it a bit creepy. Just my reaction.

I totally understand about wanting to keep the music alive, but I would rather see a great band just play the tunes while being themselves. Chris, you are a talented singer, and I would love to see more Chris and less Meat in your performance. Just be yourself!
The thing is tho, if the Springsteen act is so good due to having Bruce's mannerisms down what's the difference if I have meats?

Thanks for the compliments tho, I get that a lot.
Old 06 Nov 2016, 01:37   #14
robgomm
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Just saying, I feel like the "Tribute Talk" section should be put on the front page.

Just food for thought. Their seems to have always been a stigma around here that I dont enjoy about tribute acts. Sucks, itd be great to have Pete loaf and Maet Loaf and others come back and we could all promote each others shows.

But the lack of interest and negative responses here is just a pity.

We should start embracing it as a part of the Meat Loaf general discussion, not shove it in with off topic and freds world. its more than that now, we are also keeping Jims songs alive.

food for thought.
Personally I don't care for tribute acts as if I want to see or hear the music I love I want the real thing, so I can either a) go see the actual artist, or b) delve into my vast archive of the real thing.

I get that there is a market for it and good luck to you Chris, but I think it's insulting to say you are now 'keeping Jims songs alive'. Perhaps you have forgotten there is a new album out with Jims songs on it that had a lot of interest? Or that Jim has a certain upcoming musical which will drum up massive interest yet again in his genius? I think Jim and Meat are doing a super job of keeping their songs alive wouldn't you say?

Good luck to you Chris, but please don't use phrases like that. You're better than that.
robgomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2016, 02:14   #15
Wario

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgomm View Post
Personally I don't care for tribute acts as if I want to see or hear the music I love I want the real thing, so I can either a) go see the actual artist, or b) delve into my vast archive of the real thing.

I get that there is a market for it and good luck to you Chris, but I think it's insulting to say you are now 'keeping Jims songs alive'. Perhaps you have forgotten there is a new album out with Jims songs on it that had a lot of interest? Or that Jim has a certain upcoming musical which will drum up massive interest yet again in his genius? I think Jim and Meat are doing a super job of keeping their songs alive wouldn't you say?

Good luck to you Chris, but please don't use phrases like that. You're better than that.
What's wrong with saying that? Has meat stopped touring ? Yes. Tyce has even said that. It's not meant to be insulting.
Old 06 Nov 2016, 03:38   #16
CarylB
Mega Loafer

I took Rob to mean that others are keeping, and will keep, the songs alive in terms of the Steinman compositions, and he has a point. Tributes I guess arguably keep sound and feel of the original performer singing them going .. and even when Meat was touring people would say they liked tributes because they never got a chance to see the real thing (alhough I found that harder to accept on this small island )

Meat has said he can't think about whether or not he will tour again for some considerable time because of his back surgery. Whether he will or not is debatable .. but let's not write him off as a stage performer just yet
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 06 Nov 2016, 04:36   #17
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Of course Chris is helping keep the songs and energy alive. Every tribute act does that as a service...I don't see how it is insulting at all.
stretch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 06 Nov 2016, 05:50   #18
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:
The thing is tho, if the Springsteen act is so good due to having Bruce's mannerisms down what's the difference if I have meats?
No, that's not exactly what I meant; the band plays the songs well, but the way the singer imitates Bruce's every move kind of creeps me out. Seeing him just makes me miss the real Bruce, which is kind of the opposite of what a tribute act is supposed to do (isn't it?).

The last time I saw them, I happened to be standing right next to the soundboard, and I could see a copy of the handwritten setlist. Whoever had written it was obviously trying to copy Bruce's handwriting, which I thought was just weirdly over-the-top. I don't think I'll be seeing them again.

Then, there was the Led Zeppelin tribute band where the singer looked more like David St. Hubbins than Robert Plant.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 11:40   #19
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

+1 support for Wario's idea here.

I only come to this site to really look at the forum.
Not having access to see tribute band stuff straight away seems unfair when others can place artists such as Tyce Green under LBAGG (THAT link got added to the home page after I requested it years ago). Perhaps that was a mistake in hindsight since:
I see no difference between Tyce Green and Wario and what they are doing at all. Just because Steinman liked Tyce makes no difference to how I perceive the "tribute" music whatsoever. No music was written for Tyce. He isn't one of Steinman's "children" imo.

The complete forum index could be the home page as far as I am concerned (from my user experience's pov). The "news" on the home page is usually quite old.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 13 Apr 2017, 19:16   #20
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgotoofar View Post
Is that a reason why Tribute Talk shouldn't be featured on the front page, though?
I must have missed this post the first time around, and I'm not sure if the question was directed to me, but in any case, the answer is no, and I didn't think that my post was saying it shouldn't be on the front page- quite the opposite, actually. It doesn't matter to me where the threads are. I likely won't take part in them, but if others like having them on the front page, it's fine with me.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 13 Apr 2017, 20:00   #21
tonyloaf
Metal Head

I enjoy seeing Chris play and having fun on stage
tonyloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 12 Jul 2018, 16:43   #22
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgotoofar View Post
Who, reading the definition of that word, could argue that what Wario, or Sean Maloney, or Steve Steinman, or Peat Loaf, or All Revved Up or Anything for Loaf (both based in NY), to name a few, are doing is not created with the best of intentions?

The band or performer to which these acts pay tribute is highly popular, or else why would they? They must admire the original performer, or else why would they play their songs, and sometimes even go so far as to dress in their style?

As of September 11 this year, Meat stated on this forum that Braver was his last record, and he doesn't believe there will be any more tours. So who's going to carry that torch forward? The Bat musical will help, but whilst incorporating many of the songs that Meat made famous on his records, it involves a fictional story entirely unrelated to Meat Loaf. Tyce's record will help, but as we learned when his own guitarist and co-producer posted here, some people liked it for what it was, but most dismissed it with "not my cup of tea" (read: it's not Meat).

Who carries the banner forward? Who gives us a glimpse, however hazy, at the Meat that used to be? The tribute acts. Sooner or later, that's as close as we're gonna get to Meat in the flesh. Soon, all we'll have is the tributes. And I understand why we (and probably Meat as well) are gun-shy about it. One tribute act created such a negative impression that Meat had to sue him for domain squatting, and his name is still on the swear filter list. I get it. But they're not all him. Some of them (Wario in particular) clearly have a passion and love for the man's work, and they aim to help carry the torch forward. So why don't we offer them a proper place? No one's even saying "pride of place," they don't want undue attention. They just want attention, period. Is it so hard to accord them that, happily or otherwise?
Interesting to look back on this post now that Meat and the NLE themselves are helping put together what is essentially (at least until Meat joins the tour with the storytelling aspect) a tribute act... I mean, hate to say "I told ya so"...
Old 10 Sep 2018, 21:51   #23
greg
Super Loafer

Very True. I enjoy Tributes
greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2021, 00:06   #24
greg
Super Loafer

Any new tributes about anyone recommend
greg is offline   Reply With Quote