Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages

Old 14 Nov 2012, 10:08   #1
uksongwriter
Rookie

Default How do we submit songs for Meat's consideration?

Hi everyone

I'm a forum newbie! I am a mid-morning radio show presenter but also spent many years as a record producer, including a stint as in-house producer at Gary Numan's Rock City Studios. I also have my own TV chat show on one of the 'lesser' Sky channels lol!

I am a published songwriter and keep being told that a couple of my songs would be 'ideal for Meat Loaf' and wondered if anyone can tell me the best way to get the tracks to him to have a listen to?

As a big Meat fan, I also hope to catch him in 2013 on tour in the UK.

Ross Hemsworth
P.S. A few years ago I had CC Coletti as my guest on one of my radio shows, someone who spent many years touring with Meat as a backing vocalist!
uksongwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2012, 10:39   #2
White of High
Nature's Siegfried

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksongwriter View Post
P.S. A few years ago I had CC Coletti as my guest on one of my radio shows, someone who spent many years touring with Meat as a backing vocalist!
Than I think you have a great contact to him.
White of High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2012, 16:33   #3
uksongwriter
Rookie

Apparently CC is not working with Meat at the moment
Old 14 Nov 2012, 16:49   #4
Vickip
Mega Loafer

Hi Ross

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately CC is no longer with the band
The only thing I can suggest is that you try contacting Meat via PM either on here (Fireball) or on his FB page.

Good luck.
Vicki
Vickip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2012, 17:54   #5
Evil Ernie
Super Loafer

This is like getting your demo played on the radio. It's not as simple as PM'ing him or Facebooking him. He probably gets stuff like this all the time.

He most likely has someone who listens to them first and then filters them down to ML, who then decides. This is all speculation.

I would suggest getting a talent agency to distribute your music. If you want JUST ML to record, than it'll be harder. Put it out there for everybody.

Also, a demo would be suggested. Since ML doesn't know anything about music (by his own admission) it's not like he would just go to the piano and sight read it, he would need to get someone to perform it for him. That's something that would be a long shot for an unproven song writer.
Evil Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 14 Nov 2012, 19:16   #6
uksongwriter
Rookie

Hi Evil

Thanks for the advice, but as someone who spent several years producing at top studios, including Gary Numan's Rock city recording studio, and as a published songwriter, I do have a little bit of experience in the game lol!

The songs are up at www.reverbnation.com/rosshemsworth and the track that several people have identified as a possible for Meat Loaf, is 'ROCKSTEADY'. But please bear in mind that many of the demo's posted have my crappy voice on them

So Meat, if you happen to read this and have a few spare minutes, please pop over and have a listen!

Cheers

Ross
Old 14 Nov 2012, 19:45   #7
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ernie View Post
It's not as simple as PM'ing him or Facebooking him.
Yes.

For a published songwriter with experience, wouldn't his management company be the logical route? I've seen Meat's reaction when someone tried to push a CD into his hands Polite, but not prepared to accept it.
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2012, 20:00   #8
TheDoode

I would say, if you want a more direct route than approaching his management, send the link to Paul (meat's current producer/guitarist) - MetalLoaf on this forum - who might take a listen if he has a few mins.

TheDoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2012, 20:16   #9
uksongwriter
Rookie

Yes, I didn't have a contact at the management company, and most managers and label A & R's won't accept unsolicited material, so getting a new song to an artist is a lot more difficult than it once was.

Thanks for the tip re his producer/guitarist.

Ross
Old 14 Nov 2012, 22:06   #10
The Flying Mouse
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.

Hi Ross, welcome to the forum
As The Doode says, Paul (Metal Loaf) is Meat's guitarist, and produced Meat's last album.
If you are serious about having a song considered for Meat Loaf, he could well be worth a try.
I have no idea how Paul feels about people submitting their songs too him, but he's a very nice guy, and i'd say the very least you could expect is a polite refusal, and perhaps redirection to where you should send your song for submittion.

Good luck
The Flying Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 15 Nov 2012, 00:11   #11
uksongwriter
Rookie

Cheers for this. I have now managed to send a PM to Metal Loaf, much appreciated.

Thanks for all your help people :)

Ross

Last edited by uksongwriter; 15 Nov 2012 at 00:24. Reason: Changed format
Old 15 Nov 2012, 00:24   #12
Sebastian.
Biggles

Quote:
Cheers for this. Did try sending him a private message but his account doesn't seem to accepts PM's, either that or I'm doing something wrong lol!

Thanks for all your help people :)

Ross
They certainly can receive PM's, especially Meat!

Paul:

http://www.mlukfc.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=216

Meat:

http://www.mlukfc.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=189
Sebastian. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2012, 01:59   #13
Evil Ernie
Super Loafer

Quote:
Hi Evil

Thanks for the advice, but as someone who spent several years producing at top studios, including Gary Numan's Rock city recording studio, and as a published songwriter, I do have a little bit of experience in the game lol!

The songs are up at www.reverbnation.com/rosshemsworth and the track that several people have identified as a possible for Meat Loaf, is 'ROCKSTEADY'. But please bear in mind that many of the demo's posted have my crappy voice on them

So Meat, if you happen to read this and have a few spare minutes, please pop over and have a listen!

Cheers

Ross
I guess I didn't read your post carefully enough.

However, as a veteran of the music industry you should know how to get these songs out there. An internet fan forum isn't the way for the advise.

Great name drop BTW.... never heard of it.
Old 15 Nov 2012, 12:08   #14
uksongwriter
Rookie

Hi Ernie

As I had said earlier, it is more difficult to use the old traditional submission routes these days as they don't accept 'unsolicited material' so i came on here to ask if anyone knew of other ways to submit. To that end, I have have been given some useful advice.

Cheers
Ross
Old 15 Nov 2012, 21:49   #15
RSG
Mega Loafer

Songwriting can be a enjoyable time! My cous'n and I have a few of our own. One in particular, not a lot of lyrics, but I imagine hearing Meat & Co. playing. Another Cous'n says the same. I'm not sure why this is, but one of the lines '...there's always magic' may be why, haha

*whistles RnR Dreams Come Through*

Cheers
Anthony
RSG is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 17 Nov 2012, 22:46   #16
uksongwriter
Rookie

Just had a lovely compliment from a Nashville country artiste Joy Collins, who says that my latest composition, recorded today with session singer Melanie Martin, reminds her of Pat Benetar. As a fan of Pat's (as well as Meat Loaf) I'm well chuffed! :)

If anyone is interested in having a listen, it's called Temptation Road and is online at www.reverbnation.com/rosshemsworth

Ross
Old 20 Nov 2012, 18:58   #17
The Flying Mouse

Quote:
Just had a lovely compliment from a Nashville country artiste Joy Collins, who says that my latest composition, recorded today with session singer Melanie Martin, reminds her of Pat Benetar. As a fan of Pat's (as well as Meat Loaf) I'm well chuffed! :)

If anyone is interested in having a listen, it's called Temptation Road and is online at www.reverbnation.com/rosshemsworth

Ross
No offence, but this thread was concerning how to submit a song for Meat's consideration.
You've been given advice on that.

If you want to shamelessly plug your work, do it in the forum section Other Rock & Roll Heroes rather than here in General Messages
Old 21 Nov 2012, 06:02   #18
Evil Ernie
Super Loafer

Quote:

Ross
If you're gonna drop names... choose better names.
Old 22 Nov 2012, 00:20   #19
uksongwriter
Rookie

And there was me thinking this was a friendly forum. Goodbye all!
Old 22 Nov 2012, 02:35   #20
nikox1
Mega Loafer

Friendly???
nikox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2012, 10:46   #21
olblueeyes
Senior Loafer

Quote:
Given the presence here of an 'armed ba$tard' and another with 'Evil' in their name, I think the relatively gentle ribbing given here was pretty friendly.

Plus, you should never name drop - people don't like it. Mick Jagger taught me that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
olblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 23 Nov 2012, 19:52   #22
The Flying Mouse

Quote:
Sorry the "no offence" and the wink smilie were not enough for you

As for telling you to promote your work in Other Rock & Roll Heroes, we have a lot of music makers here on the forum, and the place for them to talk about their work (as well as the work of well known artists) is in that forum.

General Messages is the place to discuss Meat.
I've no problem with you asking how to submit a song to Meat, but the thread should not become a running commentery on your own projects on the most high profile forum on the board

All but one of your posts have been on this thread, talking about your own career in what is supposed to be the main Meat Load discussion area of the forum. That's going a little beyond self promotion and heading into spam country.

If you can't respect a request asking you to talk about your work in the correct forum from a site mod...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblueeyes View Post
Given the presence here of an 'armed ba$tard' and another with 'Evil' in their name, I think the relatively gentle ribbing given here was pretty friendly.
Just in case you've never seen the TV show, the quote "armed ba$tard" and the quote in my sig about the year and dinner plans are from Gene Hunt from Life On Mars. He's also the pic in my avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblueeyes View Post
Plus, you should never name drop - people don't like it. Mick Jagger taught me that.
I like that one

Last edited by The Flying Mouse; 23 Nov 2012 at 20:17.
Old 24 Nov 2012, 05:24   #23
olblueeyes
Senior Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Mouse View Post
Just in case you've never seen the TV show, the quote "armed ba$tard" and the quote in my sig about the year and dinner plans are from Gene Hunt from Life On Mars. He's also the pic in my avatar
:
Yes I knew where it was from - the genius of Mr Hunt. "1973, dinner time - I'm 'avin 'oops". :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
olblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2012, 18:59   #24
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
Goodbye. If you can't take criticism I don't think you are cut out for the music industry.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote