mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages » Lost Boys and Golden Girls

Closed Thread

Old 27 Mar 2012, 17:31   #1
Dave
Mega Loafer

Default I Regret Every Dime I Ever Spent On Rundgren

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/...e_of_blues.php

If Todd Rundgren indeed said what the reporter claims he said, Todd Rundgren really is the douche I have always thought he was.

Quote:
Early on, Rundgren appeared weary. He apologized for his voice, saying, "Just pretend you're at a Meatloaf show."
Really Todd...you are sounding desperate for a dig there.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 18:14   #2
mediameat
Loafer

Ouch, below the belt. I agree with you on that Dave, wonder if 'unprofessional' among several other choice words is in his dictionary.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 18:16   #3
CarylB
Mega Loafer

I've never liked what I've seen of Rundgren as a person; rude, sarcastic and dismissive of others. And a comment like that is typical imo, although I agree rude, unnecessary and wholly inappropriate. Those who abuse the name of fellow professionals simply show they themselves are unprofessional as well as being pretty appalling human beings in my view

Caryl
Old 27 Mar 2012, 18:39   #4
Dave
Mega Loafer

I will never forget the "Liars Tour" show I saw. Todd had a stage full of road hardened professional musicians, yet felt the need to count them in and conduct them during all of their instrumental solos.... I believe the word pompous comes to mind.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 19:11   #5
The Flying Mouse
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.

I don't think it was all that bad.
I must admit I laghed when I read the comment (even though it was a shocked laugh, but then again I like pannel shows like News For You & Buzzcocks that are always taking the piss ).
A bit cheeky perhaps, a bit naughty, but nothing too offensive, perhaps just an affectionate dig at an old friend.
Especially since nobody knows how it was said.

If it was said with any venom, I agree that it wasn't a nice thing to say, but i'm not going to get overheated about an attack that might well not have been an attack.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 19:16   #6
2jaxx
Senior Loafer

Thumbs down

Why would anyone make such a remark and not mean it? If he didn't mean it, why didn't he choose any random pop singer?
Old 27 Mar 2012, 21:27   #7
Evil Ernie
Super Loafer

Is everyone on this forum a weak kneed wimp? Or a soccer (sorry, football)Mom who doesn't want anything negative ever said? I mean THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN!

So he took a dig at Meat Loaf, so what? He KNOWS and worked with ML.

Last edited by The Flying Mouse; 27 Mar 2012 at 22:12. Reason: off topic
Old 27 Mar 2012, 22:40   #8
RSG
Mega Loafer

I think anybody and their dog would get tired from performing the sets Meat does. When I seen the show it was apparent he goes 100 percent from his entrance. Captivating.
Vague I know but anyone who see him perform will understand exactly what I mean. He is a hard worker. I am sure Todd always had a 'sour' perspective of Meat.

Last edited by RSG; 27 Mar 2012 at 22:48.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 22:44   #9
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...

his latest album RUINED two outta three

Last edited by R.; 27 Mar 2012 at 22:49. Reason: crap comment removed.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 22:46   #10
The Flying Mouse
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario View Post
I can't argue with that.

I'd still like to know how he said it though.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 22:51   #11
Evil Ernie
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario View Post
Without TR and Jim Steinman ML would be just another theatre guy who never went anywhere.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 22:55   #12
RSG
Mega Loafer

Note that Meat had opportunity to join successful group Foreigner. I'm sure Meat would've had success in whatever he pursued.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 23:07   #13
Evil Ernie
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSG View Post
Note that Meat had opportunity to join successful group Foreigner. I'm sure Meat would've had success in whatever he pursued.
I stand by what I said.

Without Jim and to a lesser degree Todd, you don't have Meat Loaf. Just another actor who can sing. He would never have been given a chance. Plus he was almost 30 by the time he did actually make it.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 00:44   #14
allrevvedup
"Most things that i worry about, never happen anyway"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ernie View Post
I stand by what I said.

Without Jim and to a lesser degree Todd, you don't have Meat Loaf. Just another actor who can sing. He would never have been given a chance. Plus he was almost 30 by the time he did actually make it.
tis your opinion and to a certain extent I would agree with the fact that Mr Rundgren and Mr Steinman helped to thrust Meat into the spotlight but in fairness he's worked long and hard to show that he can perform good songs without them.

Also, i don't really see what the issue is as the age of a person when they 'make it', it's all about what you do with the time you're in the spotlight rather than the age you are.

As Mouse says, I'd rather know the context that it was taken in as it could easily be tongue in cheek rather than insulting. I seem to remember a genuine quote from Mr Rundgren about recording Renegade Angel/Dead Ringer and that Meat's voice was basically gone.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 01:03   #15
robgomm
Mega Loafer

Quote:
I stand by what I said.

Omg

Meat Loaf was a very successful stage actor in his early career, and had he not met Jim, in all probability (because no one can say for sure although you claim to) he would have carried on being a very successful stage actor and would possibly have become and even bigger film star than he is already. Without Jim you don't have Meat Loaf? Well duh he's always been called Meat Loaf even in his early acting career so chances are that, duh, you would still have Meat loaf but as a famous actor instead of musician.

Seriously, why did you even join?
Old 28 Mar 2012, 01:06   #16
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrevvedup View Post
tis your opinion and to a certain extent I would agree with the fact that Mr Rundgren and Mr Steinman helped to thrust Meat into the spotlight but in fairness he's worked long and hard to show that he can perform good songs without them.

Also, i don't really see what the issue is as the age of a person when they 'make it', it's all about what you do with the time you're in the spotlight rather than the age you are.
Exactly. Meat may have achieved initial iconic status in collaboration, but put huge effort into getting the album to take off, has kept the songs alive for over 30 years, and has proved himself over and again as a rock singer/performer.

And had he remained an actor? I think it's an insulting assumption to suggest he'd have not got anywhere. Had he devoted all his efforts to the theatre, who knows what success he might have had. This is a man recently inducted into the Texas Film HoF, and who has shown himself to be an intelligent, thoughtful and excellent actor.

Caryl
Old 28 Mar 2012, 01:14   #17
suzieq
Mega Loafer

Quote:

Without Jim and to a lesser degree Todd, you don't have Meat Loaf. Just another actor who can sing. He would never have been given a chance.
I do not agree.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 01:20   #18
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...

Quote:
Without TR and Jim Steinman ML would be just another theatre guy who never went anywhere.
THATS BS.

Meat still wouldve done hair, still made his mark in rocky horror, and he would've toured with Ted Nugent and would've gone in a different direction.

Meat loves jim, but his success is reliant on him. Even less is Todd. Meat and jim would've found another producer at some point.

Most of Meat's best work is without Jim: bad ATtitude, Blind Before I Stop, and A Time For Heroes to name a few things.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 01:38   #19
youngJB
Senior Loafer

Considering Bat Out Of Hell is hands down the biggest album Rundgren ever produced, I don't think he would really make a fool of Meat to such a degree as everyone thinks. It was just a playful dig at his old buddy. Also, Jim had far more insulting comments about Meat in the 1980s that everyone seems to have let pass.

In the end, it doesn't matter. Rundgren seems like a cool guy, but a bit of an asshole. And I'm sure Meat understands. After all, he knows the man pretty well.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 01:42   #20
nikox1
Mega Loafer

Quote:
why did jim and todd not just sing it themselves? WAIT!!! thats right they could never sing the way that just another singer sang it haha, i have all the respect in the world for Jim, todd has made a very good living off Bat 1, so whats he got to complain about?
Old 28 Mar 2012, 02:11   #21
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

I think it's a testament to Meat Loaf's undisputed creativity that without Kasim Sulton who supposedly was the "musical director" of the live band for years the arrangements, sound, excitement were all even better in Dec 2010 at the shows I went to. I certainly think it has always been Meat who has "directed" the show yes. That doesn't mean to say he doesn't need help but he certainly is the driving force.

Yes Steinman wrote amazing songs, but Meat had/has a vision (and I believe he probably did inspire Steinman to write certain songs yes), a persona and most importantly he has a special connection with everyone in the audience, which you cannot teach or become, you simply are.

As for Todd, well I would never go to one of his shows. The only really interesting thing he did solo to me were the great vocals in "Loving you's a dirty job". All his solo music is stuff I really don't like. I totally don't get how you go from producing Bat/the backing vocal arrangements he does/"getting" that type of music perfectly to the stuff he actually does himself, it seems very far removed (some of the music I've heard at least). But each to their own.

I'm sure it was just a joke but I can see fans would get disappointed at what he said. It's a silly thing to say I think and unnecessarily alienates fans.

Last edited by AndrewG; 28 Mar 2012 at 02:38.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 02:21   #22
MarkS
Super Loafer

Quote:
I stand by what I said.

Meat would have had succes as an actor and most likely a broadway performer.

Quite frankly I thank the reverse of that statement may be the actual truth. Without Meat, BOH would have never been made because no one else could have sung it. Certainly not Jim (see Bad for Good) so I think Jim would have never gotten anywhere if it were not Meat. Without Meat Loaf, no one would even know who Jim Steinman is in 2012
Old 28 Mar 2012, 02:26   #23
BostonAngel
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkeaholic View Post
Meat would have had succes as an actor and most likely a broadway performer.
Quite frankly I thank the reverse of that statement may be the actual truth. Without Meat, BOH would have never been made because no one else could have sung it. Certainly not Jim (see Bad for Good) so I think Jim would have never gotten anywhere if it were not Meat. Without Meat Loaf, no one would even know who Jim Steinman is in 2012
EXACTLY. I agree with that 100%
Old 28 Mar 2012, 02:59   #24
Evil Ernie
Super Loafer

Number of #1 or #2 songs by Jim Steinman: 3 (or more)

Number of hits by ML outside of JS: ???

Can you compare being a successful stage actor to having your name on one of the highest selling records of all time. Jim would have been successful any way that you look at music because he has the songs. Meat Loaf? I'm not sure that he would have done anything without Jim.

Not saying that ML isn't a great singer and that it would have been AS successful. Who knows, maybe it would have sold more with somebody else. You can't say either way.

Last edited by Evil Ernie; 28 Mar 2012 at 03:04.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 03:15   #25
MarkS
Super Loafer

Quote:
Number of #1 or #2 songs by Jim Steinman: 3 (or more)

Number of hits by ML outside of JS: ???

Can you compare being a successful stage actor to having your name on one of the highest selling records of all time. Jim would have been successful any way that you look at music because he has the songs. Meat Loaf? I'm not sure that he would have done anything without Jim.

Not saying that ML isn't a great singer and that it would have been AS successful. Who knows, maybe it would have sold more with somebody else. You can't say either way.
Number 1 hits for Stienman since 1993?? Yeah didn't think so

Bottom line, without Bat Out of Hell, sung by Meat Loaf, Jim would have never gotten off the ground floor. Good composer or not, there would have been no songs for Air Supply or Bonnie Tyler if there had not been Meat Loaf first. Bat Out of Hell is what launched both men into the stratosphere. It was the perfect storm. Meat has done just fine post Steinman, whereas I haven't seen anything out of Jim in like 19 years. At least Meat continues to act and make some great new music

Last edited by MarkS; 28 Mar 2012 at 03:18. Reason: Add
Closed Thread