mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages » Lost Boys and Golden Girls

Old 31 Jul 2016, 00:11   #26
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikox1 View Post
He's a decent singer, and he's bringing some Steinman music forward I guess.
Best of luck to him, but yeah I agree Meat gets Jims songs like no other.
Ps Matt keep up the good work
Thanks bud. PS From what I've seen from Tyce Green he sounds great. He brings his own thing to the songs.

Tribute acts are fun and are supposed to be nostalgic, but artists who are true to themselves but still sing those older songs to their own convictions are wonderful, and I encourage it.

Some cover songs I've heard as a nieve younger person I've actually mistaken for the original! For example, about 10-15 years ago I heard Limp Biscuit's cover of Behind Blue Eyes, and it was the first time I ever heard the song. I LOVED IT! (yelling intended baha)

Later on I become a huge David Gilmour/Roger Waters fan and I thoroughly enjoy the originals more now, but at first I liked that aholes version better

I also love Johnny Cash's cover of One by U2. He brings something else to the song.

So it just goes to show you, covers can be a great thing.
stretch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 01 Aug 2016, 21:30   #27
mindnick1
Sound Guy

Great discussion!! And thanks for all the great comments about Tyce, i will see that he sees this...

Couple things....

As many of you said, this is in no way a tribute act, and nor can you compare his vocals to Meats, he is not trying to be Meat and nor should he, Tyce is 24 years old and was singled out by Jim from the 54 Below shows, (which Jim was at) for his amazing vocal performances of some of Jims gems....The videos posted are great, but those players were all NYC session players and did that with almost no rehearsal, the album is a HUGE jim Style production, lots of piano, synths, drama, loud guitars(ME), emotion, tears, laughter etc etc....this is TYCE bringing Jim's music to a new generation of listeners..

So far you can expect to hear, Left in the Dark, Gonna Love her, Holding out for a hero plus at least 8 more to be announced soon.....follow on facebook if you like..and again thanks for all the great comments

https://www.facebook.com/HeroTyce/

and here is a link to an acoustic show we did for Jim...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsvs...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by mindnick1; 01 Aug 2016 at 22:14. Reason: add link
mindnick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Like This Post.
Old 01 Aug 2016, 22:14   #28
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindnick1 View Post
Great discussion!! And thanks for all the great comments about Tyce, i will see that he sees this...

Couple things....

As many of you said, this is in no way a tribute act, and nor can you compare his vocals to Meats, he is not trying to be Meat and nor should he, Tyce is 24 years old and was singled out by Jim from the 54 Below shows, (which Jim was at) for his amazing vocal performances of some of Jims gems....The videos posted are great, but those players were all NYC session players and did that with almost no rehearsal, the album is a HUGE jim Style production, lots of piano, synths, drama, loud guitars(ME), emotion, tears, laughter etc etc....this is TYCE bringing Jim's music to a new generation of listeners..

So far you can expect to hear, Left in the Dark, Gonna Love her, Holding out for a hero plus at least 8 more to be announced soon.....follow on facebook if you like..and again thanks for all the great comments

https://www.facebook.com/HeroTyce/
Going for some awesome choices! IGLHFBOU is my favourite song so has a lot to live up to. Looking forward to hearing it all
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 02 Aug 2016, 21:48   #29
samurai7
Rock Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch37 View Post
For example, about 10-15 years ago I heard Limp Biscuit's cover of Behind Blue Eyes, and it was the first time I ever heard the song. I LOVED IT! (yelling intended baha)

Later on I become a huge David Gilmour/Roger Waters fan and I thoroughly enjoy the originals more now, but at first I liked that aholes version better
Sorry to rain on your parade, but Behind Blue Eyes is a Who song written by Pete Townshend, not a Pink Floyd song by Gilmour & Waters. But agreed that Fred wossname is an Ahole :)
samurai7 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 02 Aug 2016, 23:38   #30
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai7 View Post
Sorry to rain on your parade, but Behind Blue Eyes is a Who song written by Pete Townshend, not a Pink Floyd song by Gilmour & Waters. But agreed that Fred wossname is an Ahole :)
Lol, yeah, I knew that. Unfortunately, that didn't dissuade me from writing something so inaccurate in my post.

What I should have said, had I actually been awake enough to comprehend my own thoughts, was that I had heard the cover of behind blue eyes by the Who, and I actually still like it better than the original.

Having said that, when I first heard Wish You Were Here as a cover, I liked the cover version better (It wasn't by Fred Durst btw, can't remember who but If I did some digging I could find it). After I heard Gilmour perform it, that changed things for me. I've thought of his rendition of it as really the best version for me since.
stretch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2016, 01:42   #31
Danny L
Super Loafer

Total Eclipse is teased on the Tyce facebook. Sounds wicked.

Possibly my only distraction from BTWA this autumn!
Danny L is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 03 Aug 2016, 02:01   #32
Adje
trying to be realistic

I wish the guy all the luck in the World but it's not for me.

Good to know the Steinman works are being revisited though.
Adje is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Like This Post.
Old 03 Aug 2016, 09:40   #33
madagascar
Super Loafer

All the luck in the world, like you said Adje, but to be honest, his singing is not rising to the expectations, I'm afraid.
madagascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2016, 11:29   #34
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madagascar View Post
All the luck in the world, like you said Adje, but to be honest, his singing is not rising to the expectations, I'm afraid.
Probably best to wait until you can actually HEAR it before you make a judgement. Tyce has got some surprising vocal chops under his belt. That said, it definitely won't be for everyone (especially if you're expecting ML style vocals ... because that ain't ever gonna happen, by anyone, anywhere!).

Out of curiosity: how would you all feel if LADY GAGA recorded an album of Jim songs, in her own style?
ThatWriterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 03 Aug 2016, 12:03   #35
ashkent7
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWriterGuy View Post
Probably best to wait until you can actually HEAR it before you make a judgement. Tyce has got some surprising vocal chops under his belt. That said, it definitely won't be for everyone (especially if you're expecting ML style vocals ... because that ain't ever gonna happen, by anyone, anywhere!).

Out of curiosity: how would you all feel if LADY GAGA recorded an album of Jim songs, in her own style?
I'm always open to other artists interpreting Jim's work. There have been many over the years, some great, some good, some ok. I can't say I've heard any that I think have been terrible (in the grand scheme of music), but there have been a couple that just haven't been my preferred versions.

I think depending how she did it, Gaga has that grandiose thing of her own going on at times so I could see her bringing something gothically eccentric to certain songs...probably I would say something as her style was between the releases of Bad Romance and the Born This Way album (I thought Artpop was perhaps pushed a little too far into the bizarre at times).

In the end, I remember Billy Joel once saying in a radio interview that when he started he didn't want to be a singer, he just wanted to write for people but was told that the only way to get his music out there was to sing it himself so people could hear it. When Westlife recorded Uptown Girl, he was asked what he thought, and he said that he was always glad to hear other people's interpretations and takes on his songs...so for me, and particularly when I have written anything be it songs, novels, scripts, there are two purposes - to please yourself (your own personal directors cut as it were) and to please other people, who will interpret what you put out in the way that makes them happy. Sometimes you might like it, sometimes you might not, but what it always does is keep your work alive.

Other than the really big players, try and name more than a handful of singers from the 40s or 50s who had decent sized, well loved hits back then that are ever heard of in general discussions now. Then have someone like David Guetta (not sure on the spelling there) put out a remix album of their work and see how suddenly people can name them again.

It can be a double edged sword, but the goal of any songwriter is to have their work live on in some way, and as Jim has heard Tyce sing and had a hand in singling him out, I'm sure he will be happy which is good enough for me.
ashkent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 03 Aug 2016, 12:05   #36
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWriterGuy View Post
I've heard singers do these songs closer to and more in the vein of Meat than Tyce seems to be able to do, that's for sure.
But he's very young I believe. With maturity comes experience, style and ability to capture people so he might well grow into a singer I will appreciate more in the long run.

As others have said, good luck to him and if he entertains audiences a lot with these great songs then that's only a good thing.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 03 Aug 2016, 12:08   #37
Mr. Happy

Those clips sound fantastic to me. I wasn't sure what to make of Left in the Dark or Hero, but this excerpt from Total Eclipse has got me cautiously excited. Steinman songs need a very powerful, melodic voice, and as Braver has demonstrated Meat just can't provide that anymore. It's good to know that there's still artists out there capable of giving us our Steinman fix. Total Eclipse sounds great

Has Jim actually donated some legitimately new songs to this project, or does 'new' mean something like Not Allowed to Love or Only When I Feel?
Mr. Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2016, 14:18   #38
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

For me, if GaGa were to record an album of Jim songs, I'd want to hear her JUDAS/EDGE OF GLORY style production taken one step further into the realms of SONIC GOTHIC POP HORROR!! However, I'd also want - and this is a DEAL BREAKER - at least three tracks (NOT bonus tracks) with just GaGa and a piano, and nothing else.

ALBUM TRACK LIST:

NOCTURNAL PLEASURE
TONIGHT IS WHAT IT MEANS TO BE YOUNG
NOWHERE FAST
FOR CRYING OUT LOUD
GOOD GIRLS GO TO HEAVEN
HEAVEN CAN WAIT
DANCE IN MY PANTS
ORIGINAL SIN
BAD FOR GOOD
HOLDING OUT FOR A HERO
EVERYTHING LOUDER THAN EVERYTHING ELSE

I've tried to omit the more obvious 'this is what a female vocalist covering Jim songs would sing' kind of thing (note: this wouldn't be the running order of the album!).

(And as a follow up album: SURF'S UP,READ 'EM AND WEEP, MORE THAN YOU DESERVE, LOVE DEATH AND AN AMERICAN GUITAR, WHO NEEDS THE YOUNG (PSYCHO MIX!!!), I'LL KILL YOU IF YOU DON'T COME BACK, I'M GONNA LOVE HER FOR BOTH OF US, IT JUST WON'T QUIT, and SEIZE THE NIGHT).

I think GaGa has the potential to produce some of the above songs phenomenally well and to great effect, especially as some of the tracks are tracks that you wouldn't necessarily assume to be a female vocalist's first choice to cover. You can only IMAGINE the videos ...

Last edited by ThatWriterGuy; 03 Aug 2016 at 14:36.
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 03 Aug 2016, 14:47   #39
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

Damn ... missed out MORE and THIS CORROSION!! They HAVE to be on there!!
(too many tracks!)
Old 04 Aug 2016, 00:45   #40
nikox1
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Happy View Post
Those clips sound fantastic to me. I wasn't sure what to make of Left in the Dark or Hero, but this excerpt from Total Eclipse has got me cautiously excited. Steinman songs need a very powerful, melodic voice, and as Braver has demonstrated Meat just can't provide that anymore. It's good to know that there's still artists out there capable of giving us our Steinman fix. Total Eclipse sounds great

Has Jim actually donated some legitimately new songs to this project, or does 'new' mean something like Not Allowed to Love or Only When I Feel?
Im sure Meat can,
nikox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 04 Aug 2016, 16:51   #41
Meat Loaf_fan
Super Loafer

After hearing samples ("Left In The Dark" and "Total Eclipse Of The Heart") on Tyce facebook page, I will change my point of view (from the past post). Of course Meat is my favourite singer, but Tyce is also good . It only means that I will give chance to younger singer (and I will buy his CD).
Meat Loaf_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2016, 01:21   #42
mindnick1
Sound Guy

Hi, so i am the Co Producer of this project and have pretty much played ALL the guitars.....

There is another teaser coming out today I hope, this one is 4 mins plus and gives a proper idea of production etc, then there will be a release date set for the first single Hero....then an album release date for October is likely...were waiting on album artwork and mastering....

Remember 2 outta 3 (sorry) of the teasers have been songs that Meat NEVER recorded, so we cant think about comparing Meats vocals on songs that he never did....and Eclipse and Hero were both female, Tyce is obv male so a completely different take on it......

Love all your comments, remember, this is Tyce, not Meat, he is a young man with a VERY bright future indeed, the gauntlet he HAS been handed is HUGE.......Keeping Jim and Meats music alive for a new generation.......and lastly, after Meat retires, who is going to hold the candle worldwide singing Jims music live exclusively!.....

lets support this as i know you all will!! :)

Nick
1 User Dislikes This Post.
6 Users Like This Post.
Old 06 Oct 2016, 02:19   #43
mindnick1
Sound Guy

Hi All, looks like the album will be out later this year or early next, its done, now just waiting on art and mastering....Jim has been giving us some great pointers on the mixing, not sure if anyone follows me on facebook but yesterday Jim gave us a great public comment saying he loves what we have done!!....very humbled indeed....
Nick
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 06 Oct 2016, 14:27   #44
eltmatt
Super Loafer

Hi Nick, yeh I saw Jim comment! Very cool, also heard the 4 minute sampler, the production sounds awesome so well done! Does Tyce have any plan to do a live show singing these songs with a live band, in the UK?
eltmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 08 Oct 2016, 22:28   #45
mindnick1
Sound Guy

Thanks so much, the production was something we REALLY focused on as we feel Jim's music should be HUGE sounding most of the time......and YES there are plans right now for some UK shows, just trying to make the numbers work...the album is going to be released in FEB 2017 so sometime around March maybe for the UK shows.....we were going to release in Nov but the artist for the album cover wont have it ready in time, by the way the cover is as epic as Braver....again we feel any Jim album should have an epic cover!..lastly, and without giving too much away it may be the only chance the uk will get to here some of the Braver songs live...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltmatt View Post
Hi Nick, yeh I saw Jim comment! Very cool, also heard the 4 minute sampler, the production sounds awesome so well done! Does Tyce have any plan to do a live show singing these songs with a live band, in the UK?
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 09 Oct 2016, 14:39   #46
Danny L
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindnick1 View Post
Thanks so much, the production was something we REALLY focused on as we feel Jim's music should be HUGE sounding most of the time......and YES there are plans right now for some UK shows, just trying to make the numbers work...the album is going to be released in FEB 2017 so sometime around March maybe for the UK shows.....we were going to release in Nov but the artist for the album cover wont have it ready in time, by the way the cover is as epic as Braver....again we feel any Jim album should have an epic cover!..lastly, and without giving too much away it may be the only chance the uk will get to here some of the Braver songs live...
oh fantastic!!
Danny L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Oct 2016, 19:22   #47
eltmatt
Super Loafer

Awesome! Thanks, hope to get to one of the shows.
Old 12 Oct 2016, 14:32   #48
Meat Loaf_fan
Super Loafer

Good news! It's good idea that we will have songs from Jim Steinman next year.
Meat Loaf_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Dec 2016, 20:23   #49
mindnick1
Sound Guy

So PR starts today for Tyce-Hero......fyi Julie Bell is doing the art for the front cover, the album is being released Feb 17 on Broadway Records out of New York City!!!

The Album will have 9 songs fully produced and will be available worldwide on Itunes etc etc, there will also be a double CD version available with an additional 7 songs from a live recording session in LA of Piano and Vocal only versions of the album tracks....inc Everything is Permitted, a Crazy slow version of Hero, and an amazing version of Im
Gonna Love Her...plus way more.....

scroll down in this article for the Tyce info

http://www.themacwire.com/today-in-t...sses-and-more/

Nick
4 Users Like This Post.
Old 04 Dec 2016, 17:05   #50
eltmatt
Super Loafer

Awesome, Ill be getting this
1 User Likes This Post.