mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages » Lost Boys and Golden Girls

Old 28 Jul 2016, 19:43   #1
mindnick1
Sound Guy

Default Tyce Green

I am not sure if you all know yet (or care lol) that Tyce Green has recorded 11 Jim Steinman songs for release this fall, we have re-recored three of the classics from Dead Ringer plus 8 more of Jims gems, they are all full on jim style productions and sound amazing....
NIck
mindnick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
6 Users Like This Post.
Old 28 Jul 2016, 21:23   #2
ashkent7
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindnick1 View Post
I am not sure if you all know yet (or care lol) that Tyce Green has recorded 11 Jim Steinman songs for release this fall, we have re-recored three of the classics from Dead Ringer plus 8 more of Jims gems, they are all full on jim style productions and sound amazing....
NIck
Based on what I've heard - both of the samples and Tyce at the live shows - really looking forward to some re-imaginings.
ashkent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 28 Jul 2016, 21:40   #3
Danny L
Super Loafer

A FULL ALBUM?!! I presumed this would be an EP

Braver Than We Are, Bat Out of Hell the musical, Tyce - amazing times!!
Danny L is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 28 Jul 2016, 21:47   #4
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Looking forward to it... love to hear imaginative new takes on classic tracks.
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 28 Jul 2016, 22:39   #5
LucyK!
The Monster Is Luce

You know how much I'm rooting for you all with this one, Nick! X
LucyK! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2016, 23:53   #6
roomster
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindnick1 View Post
NIck
I have seen some videos on YouTube with Tyce Green now, and I have to say that I really look forward to this album... I'll definately buy it

Do you have some more info? When? How to buy? Which songs?
roomster is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 29 Jul 2016, 04:53   #7
renegadeangel
Super Loafer

I've heard a couple of songs and to be honest they are ok but they are no Meat Loaf. It's just a singer singing a song without the ownership.
Just my opinion
renegadeangel is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 29 Jul 2016, 12:33   #8
roomster
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadeangel View Post
I've heard a couple of songs and to be honest they are ok but they are no Meat Loaf. It's just a singer singing a song without the ownership.
Just my opinion
I think he interpret and sing the songs with just as much ownership as Meat.

I really look forward to this album

Left In The Dark
GSyg0qmLToQ

For Crying Out Loud
j90h0AzZvhY

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

Last edited by Monstro; 29 Jul 2016 at 15:27.
roomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2016, 12:43   #9
renegadeangel
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomster View Post
I think he interpret and sing the songs with just as much ownership as Meat.

I really look forward to this album

Left In The Dark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSyg0qmLToQ

For Crying Out Loud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j90h0AzZvhY

YouTube Video

YouTube Video
I saw both videos and that is why I made the comment. My opinion is simple. Definitely a good singer but as far as making me feel the same way as Meat does when he sings those songs... not even in the same league.
I'll be first to admit that I am a diehard Meat fan but I also like hearing other artists doing Jim's songs. However I haven't anyone cover Meat's version of Jim's material and do it with the same justice that Meat does.

Last edited by Monstro; 29 Jul 2016 at 15:28.
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 29 Jul 2016, 12:49   #10
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

The album will be VERY different to these 'impromptu' live performances (which, personally, I really enjoyed for what they were). However, if you're expecting a Meat Loaf copy -- look elsewhere.

Last edited by ThatWriterGuy; 29 Jul 2016 at 13:27.
ThatWriterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 29 Jul 2016, 15:38   #11
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWriterGuy View Post
The album will be VERY different to these 'impromptu' live performances (which, personally, I really enjoyed for what they were). However, if you're expecting a Meat Loaf copy -- look elsewhere.
Meat Loaf can't be copied. I'm interested to hear someone else singing Jim's songs. He's a good singer, just can't really compare him to Meat. Probably kind of unfair to compare the young man to a rock legend really.

I'm just happy Jim's songs and style will still be carried forward by someone.
loaferman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 29 Jul 2016, 17:35   #12
Meat Loaf_fan
Super Loafer

Voice of Tyce Green can't be compared to Meat. Why? I like Meat's depth and passion in his voice. Tyce Green has good voice but too thin (high - I guess ...).

There is no (at least today) male voice near Meat's voice.

PS. The only singer with good enough voice to carry out (solo) Jim Steinman songs is: Meat ... and maybe Taylor Dayne (this is my opinion, so you have every rights to have your own ).
Meat Loaf_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 29 Jul 2016, 17:42   #13
ashkent7
Super Loafer

I see it like this...

Meat has "covered" a lot of Jim's songs that were recorded and released by others first(Pandora's Box aside you have Barbara Streisand, Bonnie Tyler, Boyzone, Celine Dion etc etc). He has also covered things like Let It Be and Come Together by The Beatles, Forever Young by Dylan.

With marginal exception (Bonnie and 2 out of 3/Barry Manilow and Read Em and Weep, that I can think of off hand), and discounting YouTube bedroom singers/cover bands/sound-alikes...how many songs by Jim that Meat has recorded have been covered on a studio recording? Meat brings something to the songs that renders a lot of attempts DOA from the start. If you record them, you have to bring something completely new to the songs, and that is how I see this album delivering the songs.

I'm not sure how many of the songs are "Meat's songs" (I know a couple that have been mentioned) but one thing they won't be is just copied because as said above, even Meat's non-Jim more mainstream songs just can't be copied.
Old 29 Jul 2016, 22:29   #14
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loaferman61 View Post
Meat Loaf can't be copied. I'm interested to hear someone else singing Jim's songs. He's a good singer, just can't really compare him to Meat. Probably kind of unfair to compare the young man to a rock legend really.

I'm just happy Jim's songs and style will still be carried forward by someone.
If you're going to sing Steinman songs, yeah you definitely need to bring something to the table. The song can't just be 'sung' or it sounds hollow.

I just spent 6 months figuring out how to sing For Crying Out Loud. I was planning on doing it for my 9th anniversary. Believe it or not, the damn video I did overnight, the song took me months to learn how to sing even after knowing it for like 10 years :P

I'm a bass. So I tuned it down. My approach to the song became very simple and obvious near the end. It's all about emotion. It was all about how I feel about my wife and love, and the idea of somehow living without her. You've gotta have a play or something in your head. You have to sing it with feverish emotion that's real, not just acted. What that ended up producing was a softer version of the song. People seem to like it! It got a great response on Facebook. I'm ok with how it turned out.

Getting the right mixture of emotion and living the song along with singing style and not over singing or under singing it was very, very hard.

It really gave me a new understanding of how much Meat puts into his work.

Here's the Wav soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/matthewcprice...rying-out-loud

Video is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2b4wi3nXqU
stretch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 29 Jul 2016, 22:50   #15
nikox1
Mega Loafer

He's a decent singer, and he's bringing some Steinman music forward I guess.
Best of luck to him, but yeah I agree Meat gets Jims songs like no other.
Ps Matt keep up the good work
nikox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2016, 23:50   #16
proctorloaf
Super Loafer

Why are we comparing Tyce to Meat? Meat is incomparable. No-one sings a song like Meat Loaf. Tyce isn't a Meat Loaf tribute act. He's interpreting Jim's songs in his own way. This isn't American Idol. It's not a competition. It's art. Meat is an artist. Tyce is also an artist. Both performers are making new art and we get to experience it! We are so lucky to have new material this year from 3 sources. We should be thankful.
proctorloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 30 Jul 2016, 01:06   #17
nikox1
Mega Loafer

I've listened again, he is very good
nikox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 30 Jul 2016, 01:33   #18
Danny L
Super Loafer

Type is a musical theatre guy - wonder if he or indeed others from Pat's Steinman shows are up for a role in BOOH?

It's great these songs are being revisited and hopefully introduced to a new generation
Old 30 Jul 2016, 01:34   #19
Danny L
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by proctorloaf View Post
Why are we comparing Tyce to Meat? Meat is incomparable. No-one sings a song like Meat Loaf. Tyce isn't a Meat Loaf tribute act. He's interpreting Jim's songs in his own way. This isn't American Idol. It's not a competition. It's art. Meat is an artist. Tyce is also an artist. Both performers are making new art and we get to experience it! We are so lucky to have new material this year from 3 sources. We should be thankful.
Braver Than We Are

Bat Out of Hell

Tyce Hero

Jim Steinman is about to make a thunderous comeback!!
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 30 Jul 2016, 02:15   #20
anotherday
Super Loafer

Tyce is pretty good. He sings the songs with conviction and passion.

He's no Meat, but he isn't trying to be. There is always room in the world for more Steinman.
anotherday is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 30 Jul 2016, 02:20   #21
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherday View Post
Tyce is pretty good. He sings the songs with conviction and passion.

He's no Meat, but he isn't trying to be. There is always room in the world for more Steinman.
That's the main thing!
stretch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 30 Jul 2016, 10:00   #22
rockfenris2005
Mega Loafer

Making a general comment here... but I was tired of hearing that no one could do a Steinman song like Meat, ten years ago. Imagine how tired I am now. YES, no one CAN do a Steinman song like Meat, that is certainly true unto itself. But no one can do a Steinman song like... Steve Barton in "Tanz". Watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpEOnJud8gk

This is sort of HIS "For crying out loud" in my mind. Then there's Elaine, Rory, Holly, Kyle, Karine, Ellen, Karla, Bonnie Tyler. They all bring so much to the table. I'm never going to hear Meat Loaf wail the end of "Faster than the speed of night" the way Holly does. I say this as a massive Meat Loaf fan!!!
rockfenris2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 30 Jul 2016, 21:39   #23
ashkent7
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfenris2005 View Post
Making a general comment here... but I was tired of hearing that no one could do a Steinman song like Meat, ten years ago. Imagine how tired I am now. YES, no one CAN do a Steinman song like Meat, that is certainly true unto itself. But no one can do a Steinman song like... Steve Barton in "Tanz". Watch this video.

This is sort of HIS "For crying out loud" in my mind. Then there's Elaine, Rory, Holly, Kyle, Karine, Ellen, Karla, Bonnie Tyler. They all bring so much to the table. I'm never going to hear Meat Loaf wail the end of "Faster than the speed of night" the way Holly does. I say this as a massive Meat Loaf fan!!!
I've got a couple of versions of Steve's Tanz, and his English Demos among other things, and for me he did Steinman as well as he did for the same reason as Meat. He absolutely owed the character of Krolock the same as Meat owns the characters he envisions as the actual singers of the songs.

There are certain songs that I think it would be virtually impossible to top Meat on, but there are a lot of Steinman songs out there and for various reasons there are some that are much better suited to someone other than Meat. It's a bit like Dylan's Knocking on Heaven' Door is great, but for me Guns and Roses is awesome.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 31 Jul 2016, 00:01   #24
renegadeangel
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfenris2005 View Post

When someone goes out and covers songs that the original artist has already nailed then expect comparisons
Meat can never to TEOTH or FTTSON as Bonnie did a great job and definitely owns them.
Tyce should establish himself first with some new Steinman songs before delving into the back catalogue where the songs were already done to near perfection
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 31 Jul 2016, 00:04   #25
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

New Steinman songs?
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.