mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages » Lost Boys and Golden Girls

Old 16 Jan 2015, 23:49   #1
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Default Roy Bittan Interview (Meat/Jim Content)

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, so I figured this would be the best spot. Roy gave an interview with Rolling Stone about some of the (non-Springsteen) albums he played on, and I thought people might like to read a couple of things he said.

On BOOH:
Quote:
"Jim Steinman wrote all the songs for this, and I was real intrigued when he played them for me because they were so theatrical. It was like a rock musical, and of course Meat came out of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. I was also a big fan of Todd Rundgren, who was the producer. They brought in Max [Weinberg] to play drums, I was on piano and Todd on guitar and Kasim Sulton was on bass. We cut the whole thing live as a four-piece up in Woodstock over about two months. The only overdubs were the backing vocals. It was a strange album since some people didn't understand it came out of the theater world. I occasionally hear something from it today and just think, 'Wow, that's some really great playing.'"
On Faster Than the Speed of Night:
Quote:
"Once again, this is a Jim Steinman album. Bat Out of Hell was so huge in England that they reached out to him to produce Bonnie's album. She was another great voice and just a fantastic singer. Any album with Jim is interesting. I remember when we finished Bat Out of Hell I said to myself, 'I have no idea whether this is going to be big or not.' I've always felt that way with Jim. I never judge his music because I love all of it, but it's always either a grand slam or a giant strike out. If it's a strike out, he goes out swinging. I've never been able to figure it out, even when we're making something like 'Total Eclipse of the Heart.'"
Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...#ixzz3P1Tiw82Q

Anyway, I love what he said about Jim!
Julie in the rv mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Users Like This Post.
Old 06 Mar 2015, 02:51   #2
Evil Ernie
Super Loafer

The big hit or big miss comment is right on.

There are some songs that I just don't understand why they weren't bigger than they were.
Evil Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2015, 12:33   #3
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Some Jim songs I still don't understand why they didn't chart (higher) when they were released either due to lack of single release or lack of interest:

The original (and in my opinion still best) version of It's all coming back to me now. (Celine Dion has the name but she is very shouty on her version I think, production almost identical from what I remember)

Loving you is a dirty job. The camp music video didn't help I guess.

More than you deserve

I'll kill you if you don't come back. The two part rock song thing really was invented by Jim I often think. Interesting to hear younger bands use that approach such as My Chemical Romance did with Famous Last Words. Love the Bless all the girls summary thing especially.

Cry to Heaven. The original Jim piano / choir demo is exceptional music. Some of his best music and lyrics I think.

What Part of My Body Hurts the most. In another reality this is sung by Meat on the Jim produced Bat out of Hell 3 album as second to last track. Just so you know.

Left in the Dark - Never got the perfect singer & production treatment either.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2015, 14:07   #4
roomster
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
What Part of My Body Hurts the most.
I am still saddened about the fact that we are not going two get this wonderful song on the new album from Meat ...
roomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2015, 16:41   #5
roomster
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomster View Post
I am still saddened about the fact that we are not going two get this wonderful song on the new album from Meat ...
I am still saddened about the fact that we are not going to get this wonderful song on the new album from Meat ...
Old 06 Mar 2015, 20:07   #6
Evil One
Mega Loafer

As long as Jim pulls his finger out his arse and gets his musical going, What Part Of My Body will be on Meat's final greatest hits album. Once it's been released on an official cast album there is nothing to stop Meat putting out a cover version. Apparently he recorded vocals for the song a few years ago.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2015, 21:54   #7
roomster
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
As long as Jim pulls his finger out his arse and gets his musical going, What Part Of My Body will be on Meat's final greatest hits album. Once it's been released on an official cast album there is nothing to stop Meat putting out a cover version. Apparently he recorded vocals for the song a few years ago.
I hope you're right and that the finger gets pulled out
Old 06 Mar 2015, 22:36   #8
nikox1
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
You know what I know?
nikox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2015, 15:51   #9
rockfenris2005
Mega Loafer

The song I wish was a big hit:

"It just won't quit".

I wish people would cover that now, instead of the umpteenth "Total eclipse" or "Holding out for a hero". Someone has to do this. This song needs more attention.
rockfenris2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2015, 20:55   #10
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikox1 View Post
You know what I know?
I know many things. I'll make a further prediction:

Later on this year Meat will do a bunch of Braver promo shows (which may or may not incorporate Rocktellz & Cocktails, although I suspect that ship might have already set sail.) From whence a few live recordings will be taken for use as b-sides/live CDs/iTunes exclusive downloads. Next year he'll embark on one final Greatest Hits/Braver/Last At Bat tour that doesn't really tour, and then finally hang up the red scarf for good.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2015, 22:29   #11
Evil Ernie
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Left in the Dark - Never got the perfect singer & production treatment either.
Disagreed. The BFG version is Jim's finest moment as a performer. I don't think anyone else sounds right singing it.
Evil Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote