mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages » Lost Boys and Golden Girls

Old 26 Jan 2017, 20:06   #1
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

Default Ted Neeley still on the road

I frequently forget that my interests in Meat Loaf/Jim Steinman and musical theater overlap. (I know, I know, for some people it's hard to forget, but I have so much in my head that it's hard to keep it all in.) In this case, they overlap in the form of Ted Neeley.

You might remember the name... he sang background vocals on Dead Ringer and the ensuing tour (he can be seen in the music videos and the movie as the mustachioed fellow, occasionally with a peaked cap, and as a clean-shaven version of that fellow in the 1982 Wembley video), and co-wrote "If You Really Want To" on Midnight at the Lost and Found.

However, Meat/Jim involvement aside, he is best remembered for a "little musical that could" called Jesus Christ Superstar. He understudied the title role in the original Broadway cast, eventually assumed the part in L.A., and went on to two Golden Globe nominations as the star of the 1973 film version.

If you know of Ted's involvement with JCS, you might also know that, much like it has for other actors who've played the role of Jesus, it left an impact, such that his involvement has never really ended. He appeared in a couple of stock productions back in the late Seventies, and undertook two major national tours of the show in the U.S., one in the Nineties to celebrate the film's 20th (and then 25th) anniversary which ran for four years and grossed $130 million (making it one of the most successful touring shows ever), and one in the mid-to-late 2000's which also ran successfully for four years.

Well, after a few decades of begging, he's finally saddled up the donkey, packed his crown of thorns, and taken the show to Europe. After a couple of successful engagements in Italy, touring has recently expanded to the Netherlands and Belgium, and hopes to take in the rest of Europe. (Our own evil nickname caught this one, and offers a review here.) Yes, folks, he is still screaming high notes as the big J.C. eight times a week at the age of 73! (Now whose determination and skill does that remind you of? )

Wait, wait, I've got proof!

YouTube Video

For those able to make trips to the Continent, tickets are on sale now! Check the official websites for the Dutch and Italian jaunts for more details. He's very grab-able after a show for meet and greets if you stick around, and he loves to hear from people who know he did something other than JCS!
letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2017, 19:10   #2
chansadres
Senior Loafer

Saw JCS about two years ago. Ted still has an awesome voice.
The rest of the cast is also really good. Some have a very Italian accent but it didn't annoy me. Only slightly negative I can think of is the set. It's really modern. Because it must be transportable, it's minimalistic but it didn't breathe the original vibe.

If you can see him, you must. The man is a legend and his voice is just remarkable after all these years.
chansadres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2017, 01:44   #3
Sue K
Mega Loafer

Ohhh ... Ted N is my favorite JC ... I knew of him via the film JCSS before I knew of him as a backup singer for Meat. I was so surprised when I saw in a video ... I would LOVE if he would do JCSS in the States... I never got the chance to see him live... My sisters did... imagine... didn't even ask me... who introduced them to the film and music ... himph ...
Sue K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2017, 01:49   #4
Sue K
Mega Loafer

The pain and the passion ... he hasn't lost it ... my gawd... I weep at this point every time ... Thank you for the share ... xoxo
Old 12 Feb 2017, 05:03   #5
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

I'm always glad to share. Ted's a friendly acquaintance, and I have loved his work from the time I was a kid. I dunno if you were aware, Sue, but he actually just finished another tour of the show in the States seven years ago; it ran for a good four years or so from 2006 to 2010.

Lately, when he's not engaged with the show live in Europe, he (and some of his fellow original cast members, when schedules permit) tours with screenings of the movie on the nostalgia circuit here in the States. It was initially to promote the film's 40th anniversary in 2013, but lots of little art house movie theaters (and a few Comic Con type events) kept wanting it to come back, so the screenings have continued for some time. PM me what area you live in, I'll let you know if he's coming to town!

Last edited by letsgotoofar; 12 Feb 2017 at 05:13.
Old 12 Feb 2017, 17:02   #6
Sue K
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgotoofar View Post
I'm always glad to share. Ted's a friendly acquaintance, and I have loved his work from the time I was a kid. I dunno if you were aware, Sue, but he actually just finished another tour of the show in the States seven years ago; it ran for a good four years or so from 2006 to 2010.

Lately, when he's not engaged with the show live in Europe, he (and some of his fellow original cast members, when schedules permit) tours with screenings of the movie on the nostalgia circuit here in the States. It was initially to promote the film's 40th anniversary in 2013, but lots of little art house movie theaters (and a few Comic Con type events) kept wanting it to come back, so the screenings have continued for some time. PM me what area you live in, I'll let you know if he's coming to town!
Done and again, thanks for the update on Ted N.

Sue
Old 14 Feb 2017, 10:39   #7
stretch37
Mega Loafer

I recognized the name right away. Knew he had worked with Meat but had never seen him perform. After watching that, just WOW. This guy is so talented! LOVE his voice. Thanks for sharing, great performance. I'd love to see him live.
stretch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2017, 00:03   #8
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

And, I might add, that is him at 73 years of age. Not bad for a road warrior -- Meat sure knew how to pick like-minded people!
1 User Likes This Post.