mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages » Lost Boys and Golden Girls

Old 16 Sep 2010, 18:47   #26
Smithie
Super Loafer

Lorraine is a nice singer and I'd enjoy seeing one of her shows. I have no interest in seeing her sing with Meat though. AFL is perfect on this new tour with Meat & Patti and their fantastic chemistry.
Smithie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2010, 07:44   #27
Pudding
I'm A Prize Fight Lover...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve6 View Post
Lorraine got NOTHING for AFL which was daylight robbery.
It's amazing how you seem to know the financial arrangements of people Meat is associated with. First Patti, now Lorraine...WTF?
Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2010, 09:22   #28
cujo
Senior Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyK View Post
The specific message is here
Thanks for digging that out Andy.

Lorraine was actually in the US at the invite of Jim at the time to discuss with the record company making her own album. Meat was in the studio recording Bat 2, and the studio had booked a session singer to lay down the vocals for Meat to sing to while he recorded his vocals for AFL. At that time they hadn't decided who they wanted to sing the female vocal - but they were looking for a big name (as with Cher in Deadringer).
The session singer never turned up so Jim asked Lorraine to stand in.
Lorraine was later dumped by the record company as part of a cost cutting exercise, despite Jim's best efforts, and she was sent back to the UK.
After she got home she got a call telling her that they could not find a voice that fit the song better than hers so they were going to use her vocal. I think she said that she only actually sang the song twice in the studio! As we all know she wasn't invited back to be in the video!
I believe she was both lucky to happen to be there at the moment the session singer didn't turn up, but also unlucky that she was a victim of the Record label money men. She could have been huge given the right breaks, but she is nothing but grateful to Jim & Meat for all they did for her, and as Lucy has pointed out she makes sure that she uses her "moment in the spotlight" to draw in the audiences. Who can blame her for that.
Best of luck with the show at Newcastle City Hall!

Last edited by allrevvedup; 17 Sep 2010 at 12:31.
cujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2010, 12:35   #29
allrevvedup
"Most things that i worry about, never happen anyway"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo View Post
as Lucy has pointed out she makes sure that she uses her "moment in the spotlight" to draw in the audiences. Who can blame her for that.
Exactly

*I have to stop clicking on edit instead of quote in people's messages *
allrevvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2010, 20:10   #30
Steve6
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudding View Post
It's amazing how you seem to know the financial arrangements of people Meat is associated with. First Patti, now Lorraine...WTF?
I don't know anything about the financial arrangements, but what Mike said was false, I don't "guesswork" anything. I just read and try to validate the facts I have, and if you go to her wikipedia page you'll read the following when it talks about AFL.

"The song was a commercial success, becoming number one in 28 countries. However, as Crosby had recorded her part as guide vocals, she did not receive any royalties from the song". So maybe my statement earlier in this thread is correct.
Steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2010, 20:19   #31
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Wikipedia is the most reliable source on earth, ask Wario.
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2010, 20:32   #32
allrevvedup
"Most things that i worry about, never happen anyway"

Here's the article for anyone that is interested...

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/whats-on-...9310-13701538/

by the way not receiving royalities is not the same as not receiving anything at all for the session, which is not mentioned in the article Steve.
allrevvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2010, 23:03   #33
Steve6
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrevvedup View Post
by the way not receiving royalities is not the same as not receiving anything at all for the session, which is not mentioned in the article Steve.
She received nothing for the song Mike, that's what I'm talking about. Yeah fair enough she did get a record deal after, but imagine the succees she COULD have had,had she been in the music video is what I'm saying. When you hear she went back to the UK with no money as AFL was topping the charts, it's quiet a sad thing to hear. The only card she has to play these days is the fact she sang the female vocals on AFL.
Old 19 Sep 2010, 00:31   #34
Pudding

Quote:
She received nothing for the song Mike, that's what I'm talking about.
Do you actually understand anything that you write, or do you just make shit up for the sake of it?

If someone doesn't get royalties for a song it doesn't mean they got 'nothing' which is what you're trying to suggest. 'LOGIC' would state to me that she got paid a flat fee (and probably not a bad one at that) and signed over any chance of recieving royalties. I believe most session musicians do this and that's all that she was, a session backing singer at best.
Old 19 Sep 2010, 00:34   #35
Evil One
Mega Loafer

When she got the phone call asking if they could use her vocals, if she didn't ask for more money or a better deal then that is her own fault.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2010, 00:41   #36
Steve6
Batman

Quote:
Do you actually understand anything that you write, or do you just make shit up for the sake of it?
Why is everyone snapping at me for? I made a comment that she got nothing for doing the vocals which was on valid grounds. I now accept she DID get something for it. But I just think it's sad she didn't get better looked after when the song came out. I mean she was on a plane back to the UK with no money....NOTHING!! when AFL was topping the charts, a song she sang vocals on. She should have been singing live with Meat Loaf, and helping promote the single and album. But it didn't work out that way for her sadly. That's all I was saying.
Old 19 Sep 2010, 00:55   #37
Pudding

Quote:
I now accept she DID get something for it. But I just think it's sad she didn't get better looked after when the song came out. I mean she was on a plane back to the UK with no money....NOTHING!!.
So now you're saying she did get paid but still ended up with nothing, whose fault is that? If she thinks she's going to hit the big time and started spending her AFL cheque like a shopaholic on crack, then that's nobody else's fault but hers.
Old 19 Sep 2010, 01:17   #38
Steve6
Batman

Quote:
So now you're saying she did get paid but still ended up with nothing, whose fault is that? If she thinks she's going to hit the big time and started spending her AFL cheque like a shopaholic on crack, then that's nobody else's fault but hers.
She's not going to get any cheque for doing the AFL vocals, that case has been done and dusted. She can use it as a tool to promote herself which is what she's doing but that's all. She got a record deal after AFL, but to the value of what I don't know, and I'm not going to speculate either. I'm sure she wishes she had been smarter in the early 90s. AFL was a missed opportunity to catapult her to fame.
Old 19 Sep 2010, 01:19   #39
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
She got a record deal after AFL, but to the value of what I don't know, and I'm not going to speculate either.
Really? You could have fooled me mister.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2010, 01:53   #40
Pudding

Quote:
She's not going to get any cheque for doing the AFL vocals, that case has been done and dusted.
You're stupid aren't you? Obviously she's not going to get a cheque now but she would have at the time of recording the song. You seriously need to keep up with what's being said, because this isn't me making you look like a moron, this is you making yourself look not very bright.