mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages » Lost Boys and Golden Girls

View Poll Results: Well???
Justin Avery 22 78.57%
Mark Alexander 6 21.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06 Sep 2011, 01:52   #1
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...

Default Being as the Hang Cool Tour is finished. Who did you prefer: Justin or Mark?

Last year, just like Kasim a thread was made comparing Justin with Mark, and it drew criticism that all of the UK fans hadn't had a chance to see Justin in action to compare him to Mark fairly.

For me its no contest: Justin.
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2011, 01:54   #2
snider22

Justin is a beast on that piano, IMHO one of the best piano players that I have ever had the opportunity to see.
snider22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2011, 02:29   #3
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

i have thoroughly enjoyed mark on piano/keyboards many times through live performances, albums and dvd's... i've only seen justin live once, so it would be unfair for me vote, other than to say i've always enjoyed the band in the different incarnationions ive seen
duke knooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2011, 08:28   #4
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarioLoaf View Post
Being as the Hang Cool Tour is finished... THE FINAL VERDICT: Danny, Kasim, or Steve? [...] Last year a thread was made comparing Danny with Kasim, and it drew criticism that all of the UK fans hadn't had a chance to see Danny in action to compare him to Kasim fairly.

So now, with the Hang Cool Tour in the can and the GP tour underway in a month, who is the better bassist.

For me: Danny is a bassist like no other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarioLoaf View Post
Being as the Hang Cool Tour is finished... THE FINAL VERDICT: Justin or Mark? [...] Last year, just like Kasim a thread was made comparing Justin with Mark, and it drew criticism that all of the UK fans hadn't had a chance to see Justin in action to compare him to Mark fairly.

For me its no contest: Justin.
You could at least have been a little more creative and change the wording a bit. Will we have to read these sentences every time now when the lineup of the band changes or when it comes to comparing current NLE members to their predecessors? And what's the use of FINAL (!?) VERDICTS? Why do you always have to exaggerate? Are you really interested in other forum members opinions or do you just want them to confirm your own "verdict"? You could at least have bothered to explain what exactly it is that you like about Danny and Justin and why you think they are better than Kasim and Mark. (E.g. when it comes to playing skills, showmanship and the like.) That would have been more interesting than just stating dry "verdicts".

I haven't had the chance to see Danny or Justin live, so I cannot make any "final verdicts". Even if I had, I wouldn't do it. Judging by the YouTube videos I've seen I can say that Justin is amazing and that his style of playing appeals more to me than Mark's. That said, Mark had been a long-time member of the band, I've seen him live a couple of times and I enjoyed the shows he was part of. The same goes for Kasim. I believe such "final verdicts" are a bit unfair to ex band members. The NLE has had some good musicians over the years who all have their merits. Liking new members better than previous ones is okay but calling your personal preferences "FINAL VERDICT", is a little odd and arrogant, in my opinion.
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2011, 09:04   #5
stretch37
Mega Loafer

hands down, justin. He is amazing....there is no comparison imo

And after the things i saw Mark say about Meat, well that was a bit of a turn off as well.....so yeah i factored that into my choice, but the piano skills were the main comparison :P Justin has nothing but great things to say about Meat.
stretch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2011, 09:37   #6
melon
Long Distance Loafer

OTT.
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2011, 09:54   #7
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch37 View Post
Justin has nothing but great things to say about Meat.
Well it would be a bit stupid of him to start slagging off his boss in public.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2011, 11:48   #8
AndyK
Relentless

Thread title changed to encourage a better discussion of opinions rather than having personal opinion stated as fact. Don't just vote, give us a mini essay (without going over the old ground ...) as to why you prefer who you prefer.

Also, what have Paul or Dominic done to upset you Chris?
AndyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2011, 11:55   #9
allrevvedup
"Most things that i worry about, never happen anyway"

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke knooby View Post
i have thoroughly enjoyed mark on piano/keyboards many times through live performances, albums and dvd's... i've only seen justin live once, so it would be unfair for me vote, other than to say i've always enjoyed the band in the different incarnationions ive seen
agreed
allrevvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2011, 11:55   #10
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Or Tom Brislin? I think I've stated before that if he'd done a longer stint in the NLE then he'd rate higher than Mark. If I haven't then I have now.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2011, 12:01   #11
AndyK
Relentless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
Or Tom Brislin? I think I've stated before that if he'd done a longer stint in the NLE then he'd rate higher than Mark. If I haven't then I have now.
I knew I'd forgotten someone!

I've always thought that Tom's playing, whilst great lacked the fluidity and feeling of Paul, Mark or Justin. To me he always seemed to be playing the notes, rather than playing the music.
AndyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2011, 15:20   #12
LucyK!
The Monster Is Luce

For me it's Mark, 100%.

Justin is a phenominal piano player, within the first 5 minutes of the first show it was so obvious to me why Meat had chosen him and likes him so much, his style actually reminds me a lot of Jim's.

For me though that's what it comes down to, the style. Justin's style is very Steinman, very staccato, whereas I find Mark's style to be a lot more fluid, which personally I prefer.

Mark, to me, will always be top, but in his absense then Justin's been a stunning band member.
LucyK! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2011, 15:45   #13
Monstro
Promoted to Wario's spellchecker

Excellent post Lucy, couldn't explain it better myself, exactly how I feel as well.
Monstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2011, 15:50   #14
LucyK!
The Monster Is Luce

Thank you!

To anyone reading this, when Monstro refers to me as "Lucy", that means his serious, so he really does agree with me!
LucyK! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2011, 15:42   #15
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Justin for me (though his own music doesn't interest me whatsoever, completely different style which is strange I think as he does manage to capture the Steinman feel perfectly like no other despite that, even better than Steinman himself!). Mark got very close and added nice touches here and there but I think Justin is pretty amazing and I love the 2 out of 3 solos I heard. Hope to catch him again with the Loaf on tour.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2011, 17:50   #16
glamourgirl
Super Loafer

Justin is talented but the piano solos (and the guitar solos) were too long on this tour. If they cut the solos in half, it would still be plenty long.

I rather prefer Tom Brislin.
glamourgirl is offline   Reply With Quote