Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages

Old 03 Nov 2016, 19:21   #51
CarylB
Mega Loafer

This musical isn't really my "cup of tea" either. I'm one of those who find it hard to enjoy the songs Meat has owned for so long sung by anyone else; it's why I never have been to see, nor will, a tribute band, however good they are.

But that doesn't devalue what they do. Nor does it mean I don't wish Jim every success in finally realising his dream of bringing it to a stage, nor would I make any negative comment without seeing it .. and even then I'd try and be constructive. Things don't suck because they'e not my taste (except Donald Trump ) .. and I'm sure they have recruited talented people to bring Jim's songs to life on stage in a new setting, the setting that has been Jim's vision for so many decades.
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 03 Nov 2016, 19:39   #52
rockfenris2005
Mega Loafer

Just watched the live feed of the announcement. That was better than I thought it would be, I think.
rockfenris2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2016, 19:49   #53
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarylB View Post
This musical isn't really my "cup of tea" either. I'm one of those who find it hard to enjoy the songs Meat has owned for so long sung by anyone else; it's why I never have been to see, nor will, a tribute band, however good they are.
You seriously miss out. While yes, noone can do jim like Meat, its still worth the time. First hand experience, we put in lots of work.

Not necessarily towards you Caryl, the stigma around here of tributes is appalling. The tribute section of the forum isnt even shown on the main page. Other fansites are much more supportive of tribute acts.
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2016, 19:52   #54
rockfenris2005
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario View Post
You seriously miss out. While yes, noone can do jim like Meat, its still worth the time. First hand experience, we put in lots of work.

Not necessarily towards you Caryl, the stigma around here of tributes is appalling. The tribute section of the forum isnt even shown on the main page. Other fansites are much more supportive of tribute acts.
I love your tribute act, because you play all the rare songs too. I counted your "It just won't quit" last year as a 30th birthday present.
rockfenris2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 03 Nov 2016, 20:11   #55
Adje
trying to be realistic

Quote:
the stigma around here of tributes is appalling. The tribute section of the forum isnt even shown on the main page. Other fansites are much more supportive of tribute acts.
First of all Chris, I really enjoy to see you being able to do things that you are pasionate about. That said, I belong amongst those people. For a few simple reasons:

- For me it's not about a song but about the combination with the artist performing. It is very rare for someone to make an existing song 'their own' (although there are exceptions of course) and Meat Loaf is the kind of artist that is hard to replace in that matter. That doesn't mean there aren't performers who can sing a song -vocally- better, butter the 'package' is missing. So Meat Loaf tribute bands are simply a hit and miss to me.

- Other fansites are more positive etc. Perhaps that is true. But most of these artist 'just' sing a song. This is the reason I became a Meat Loaf fan and not a Rod Stewart fan, so to speak. I love Rod's songs but he doesn't perform them as Meat performs his songs. Or Billy Joel, who is more up your alley. Meat isn't the only artist who brings that passion, even to his album tracks, not just live, but a big majority of the artist are 'just' singers. And tributing them is merely being able to sing their songs well.

- Why is a tribute band needed anyway. For example, you work hard on creating a set. Why not put that effort in songs of your own and add cover songs for the crowd so they have some songs they recognize. Because even with all the hard work you're doing, a tribute act just sound lazy and being unable to be creative yourself, to me. I know those are harsh words and I know you aren't lazy or uncreative at all, but that is what 'Tribute act' sounds like to me. I rather see a band do something original

I know what meat Loaf looks and sounds like. I don't need to see what some ordinary bloke looks like as Meat Loaf. But that is just my opnion
Adje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2016, 20:45   #56
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:

Nothing to do with "stigma". Do what you do and enjoy it to the full. And those who enjoy tributes, go, enjoy, have fun.

I'm sure you put in huge amounts of work, wouldn't deny that. There is clearly a market, but that I'm not part of it doesn't mean I'm missing out. I've never seen a Queen or ABBA tribute either; I don't drink instant coffee. Both are personal choices, just as I wouldn't go to see many artists live that others love.

I suspect Meat tributes have the most difficult task, simply because he has made those songs so much his own, and he IS each song, becomes it, and many I have seen in clips mimic his every movement faithfully .. but that is not the truth Meat brings, almost by definition. They reproduce as faithful a representation of Meat as they can .. but that is of Meat .. not of the character that he becomes. I'm not saying you do this; perhaps you find a character and your truth in the songs .. but I've just watched the live stream of the cast from BOOH The Musical. They are talented .. but it just misses something for me.

Many fans love tributes .. which is great for them. But please don't tell me I'm missing out, because I'm not :) And I don't think that because Tribute Talk is not in the section devoted to Meat Loaf is "stigmatising" either. No tribute IS Meat Loaf ... but I have never seen fans here knocking them (apart from he whose name may not be typed and accepted).
Old 03 Nov 2016, 21:08   #57
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
I'd rather you didn't.
Fortunate for you, then, that none of my posts exists soley for your benefit
ThatWriterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 03 Nov 2016, 21:13   #58
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarylB View Post
Many fans love tributes .. which is great for them. But please don't tell me I'm missing out, because I'm not :)
You're missing out on hearing masculine live the only way you can tho.
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 03 Nov 2016, 21:18   #59
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
You're missing out on hearing masculine live the only way you can tho.
I think you know my answer to that one xx
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 03 Nov 2016, 22:17   #60
ashkent7
Super Loafer

i really don't see Tribute bands as lazy depending how they go about it. There are millions who make a living doing Elvis for example. Perfect for a party atmosphere and for those who want to be able to go to a bar and listen to the songs they like, either in the style of the original artist or not.

From what I've seen, Chris, you bring your own things but keep the integrity of the songs on both the Meat Loaf and Billy Joel count.

Then you have shows like We Will Rock You, Mamma Mia, Rock of Ages, Jersey Boys...there's hundreds of them that focus on one person or group's songs and present them in a format that some genuinely hate. There are many who don't give musical theatre the time of day, but the BIG BIG difference for me with Bat is that this is exactly where it came from. The original Dream Engine and Neverland plays were in one way or another the origins of pretty much every song of Jim's that Meat has ever recorded. Without musical theatre, there would be no Bat Out Of Hell and possibly no Meat Loaf as we know and love him.

I love the late 60s/early 70s versions of Bat, Took The Words, All Revved up et al, from those plays every bit as much as the album versions. And the new musical versions, when they are seated in the set, with the production and everything, then I have no doubt I will love them as well.

I've lived Meat's songs for coming up to 30 years, and I'm not about to abandon those songs now just because it isn't Meat singing them. I have Meat singing them forever on that never-should-have-worked album that is 40 years old next year and I'm more than happy to listen to anyone else who cares to sing them. There's a reason why no-one ever begs him to sing Wolf At Your Door or Clap Your Hands just one more time, and it is exactly the same reason that they do want Bat, AFL, Rock and Roll Dreams, For Crying Out Loud, Objects. The singer delivers the song to the listener, but it is the song that sinks its fingers in and doesn't let go.

Bat The Musical, Jim's vision of HIS songs, is basically back to ground zero for these songs. This is where they came from, and this is the beginning. There are many who have never picked up Bat the album, but may well be curious enough to go see the musical, then they may well discover the album and from there who knows where the journey will end.

I got my last Meat/Jim collaboration with Braver, I'm getting another vision of Jim's songs with Tyce's album, and then the man himself brings it all back home on stage in the spring and summer. After almost a decade of what if's and maybe-not-now-or-maybe-not-ever's, i'm taking every moment of these songs in all their forms and being thankful for the risks that are taken against the industry of today to keep them alive and protentially move them another generation and another 40 years into the future.

However if Trump is elected next week who cares because we'll all going to hell sooner or later. Sign out and turn off the lights.
ashkent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.