mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages » Lost Boys and Golden Girls

Old 28 Jun 2010, 17:31   #51
Sarge
Mega Loafer

I never understood why there have to be opening acts that have hardly anything to do with the main act. Which criteria are they chosen by? Pearl's presence obviously had a positive impact on some of the Casa De Carne shows. There was an especially nice atmosphere at the concerts that were opened by her.
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2010, 17:40   #52
The Flying Mouse
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke knooby View Post
ignoring the past, (which aint easy), ignoring you know her musical history, the real questions are...

do you like her songs?
do you think shes a great singer?
do you think she deserves much more success than she has got?
do you think she should have a much bigger following?

and the answers to the above could probably be applied to millions of performers through out the world!

my question is why do you think pearl deserves success above the thousands of other great acts??
Fecking hell.
Jonty has posted the most sensible post on the thread.
OK, pass my hat and the mustard

One way or another you can't hold Pearl's past/origins against her.

She may have done her first back up singing with her dad, but many mechanics will tell you that the first engine they built was in their dad's garage.

It's the old "why don't you have a go at this" family business thing.

My dad was in insurance, but that doesn't mean that I am naturally born to be a good insurance agent, but I know that if I was inclined to try my hand at insurance, and a position opened in my dad's firm, he would have put my name forward.

Just like (to use the mechanic metophore again) if a guy owns his own garage and needs to take on help, his son/daughter will get to try the job if they are interested.

Meat might have opened doors for Pearl, even if it's just his name that opens it, but that's only true assuming that the people Pearl auditioned for knew it was Meat's daughter, but door opened or not, it's Pearl who has to walk through the door.
If she wasn't up to the job then she wouldn't have lasted.

Wjhere she came from is really irrelevant, judge her on her own merit and what she's doing now.
The Flying Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2010, 17:56   #53
AndyK
Relentless

and to add to Mr Mouse's ramblings ...

In every piece of press I've read about Pearl she tries her damndest to play down her family connections, despite what the journalists may try and spin into the story, she may have a famous dad and a famous husband in rock circles but as I see it she's doing her best to make it on her own and she should be applauded fo rthat in my opinion.

Like virtually every other industry out there in this day and age, rock and roll is a very cut throat, competitive industry where it's not always what you know (or what you can do) that makes the difference but who you know. Rock and roll is also like everfy other industry out there in that if you're punching above your weight you'll soon get found out ...

Who can really blame Pearl (or anyone else who finds themselves in a similar situation) for taking an opportunity to get a foot up the ladder or at the very least some impetus to get that foot on the rung to start with?
AndyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2010, 18:57   #54
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Something not mentioned so far, but would being Meat's daughter actually make things harder for Pearl in the long run? Yes he has the ability to open doors for her, but many more seem to slam back in his face (especially recently) and therefore possibly hers too?
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2010, 21:22   #55
AndyK
Relentless

True it could be as much of a hindrance as a help perhaps.
Old 28 Jun 2010, 22:04   #56
glamourgirl
Super Loafer

Pearl is a good singer and I wish she was opening the first shows instead of that Lisa girl. However, I also wish Patti was given the opportunity to open some shows. She certainly deserves a shot too and she has written some amazing songs that I'd love to hear live. Hopefully, Patti will atleast get a solo spot in the show.
glamourgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2010, 01:37   #57
Pudding
I'm A Prize Fight Lover...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
Something not mentioned so far, but would being Meat's daughter actually make things harder for Pearl in the long run? Yes he has the ability to open doors for her, but many more seem to slam back in his face (especially recently) and therefore possibly hers too?
At the start I think it helped, coming off the phenomenally successful Bat2 tour and then WTTN, but now, I think you make a valid point.

Putting 2+2 together and making 5, perhaps she plays down her family connections like Andy said because of the doors being closed on Meat like Evil said. Maybe Pearl doesn't want to be seen in the same light as Meat is
Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2010, 11:16   #58
AndyK
Relentless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudding View Post

Putting 2+2 together and making 5, perhaps she plays down her family connections like Andy said because of the doors being closed on Meat like Evil said. Maybe Pearl doesn't want to be seen in the same light as Meat is
I got 7, which equates to the other possibility that she want's to be perceived has having made it on her own rather than being accused of nepotism.
Old 29 Jun 2010, 22:24   #59
glamourgirl
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage Against View Post
She was a back-up singer for Motley Crue too. I wouldn't consider being a back-up singer, a head start. I guess it's in your definition of head start. If being a back-up singer since 1994 and then releasing your first album in 2009-2010 is your definition of head start, I'd hate to see your definition of paying dues. 16 years as a back-up, yeah she REALLY got the silver spoon on that one.

Technically, she hasn't been a backup singer for 16 years. Didn't she go to college and pursue writing for a while? And since she left Meat's band in 2003, she's been working on her own material. Her first album was Broken Thorny Crown, released a few years ago, which I really enjoyed.

I guess the children of celebrities always get judged because their parents have money so they don't have to struggle and sacrifice the way some "starving artists" do.
glamourgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2010, 00:20   #60
The Flying Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post

Sorry if i've missed a page (wouldn't be the first time ) but what doors are being shut to Meat?

Good reviews from the press (for a change).
Lots of TV interviews.
Judge on Opera Star.
Possibility of Celeb Apprentice.
Still doing movie work.

I know the album hasn't sold the figures hoped for, but I don't see many doors closing.

Last edited by The Flying Mouse; 30 Jun 2010 at 00:27.
Old 30 Jun 2010, 00:24   #61
Monstro
Promoted to Wario's spellchecker

You in the right thread Mousey?
Monstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2010, 00:27   #62
The Flying Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstro View Post
You in the right thread Mousey?
Added a quote for clarification
Old 30 Jun 2010, 05:31   #63
Pudding

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Mouse View Post
Sorry if i've missed a page (wouldn't be the first time ) but what doors are being shut to Meat?
You are correct. Meat is on talk shows all the time, the radio can't stop playing his songs and the record company is going absolutely cucking frazy with all the promotion they're doing.
Old 30 Jun 2010, 06:23   #64
Elijah's way
Soul Auctioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Sheryl Crow was a back up singer for Michael Jackson and thus got to work with Bill Bottrell which helped her launch her solo career with great songs as he is a fantastic song writer. Definitely a head start.
I know this is irrelevant but Sheryl Crow sucks ass.
Elijah's way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2010, 08:34   #65
A Slice Of English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah's way View Post
I know this is irrelevant but Sheryl Crow sucks ass.
Unfortunately it IS irrelevant because she is also very, very successful. Whether you like her or not.
A Slice Of English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2010, 08:58   #66
cujo
Senior Loafer

This thread was meant to be about how Good (or not) a performer Pearl is. Personally I think she is fantastic. I have seen her both as an opening act for Meat Loaf, and in several solo shows she has performed.
Somehow the thread has degraded into a discussion of whether or not she had a leg up from her dad, and whether or not that is good or bad, and whether or not someone said something or just thought it, or implied it but didn't mean it.

WHAT A LOAD OF OLD S**T.

I am a big Meat Loaf fan, and I come on here on a daily basis but the way this thread has lost the plot is the very reason I rarely post. Can we not just get back to talking about how good (or not if that is your view) Pearl is as a singer / performer. FFS!!!
cujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2010, 09:22   #67
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...

Pearl is great on her own.

But if she wants to separate herself from her dad professionally so much she wouldn't be opening for him in his home state.

The way I see it, if shes not a success, Pearl Aday and the Neverland Express will be erected after meat retires.
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2010, 11:05   #68
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarioLoaf View Post
The way I see it, if shes not a success, Pearl Aday and the Neverland Express will be erected after meat retires.
No
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2010, 11:11   #69
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Quote:
But if she wants to separate herself from her dad professionally so much she wouldn't be opening for him in his home state.
Have you actually ever seen a Meat Loaf concert with Pearl?

Quote:
You also foresaw a Meat Loaf / Miley Cyrus duet...
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2010, 11:47   #70
Pudding

Quote:
A very good point Mr.Wario
Old 30 Jun 2010, 12:08   #71
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudding View Post
A very good point Mr.Wario
Hence I brought this point up as I only ever saw Pearl when she opened for Meat but apparently I am talking old shit. In my opinion these things are interconnected. To force people to separate the issues is all well and good but isn't this a Meat Loaf forum anyway?
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2010, 12:21   #72
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...

ITD BE GREAT TO SEE HER GO NUMBER ONE
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2010, 00:36   #73
Pudding

Quote:
Hence I brought this point up as I only ever saw Pearl when she opened for Meat but apparently I am talking old shit. In my opinion these things are interconnected. To force people to separate the issues is all well and good but isn't this a Meat Loaf forum anyway?
I thought it was all relevent and interconnected. Maybe the interconnection was too mindblowingly uncomplicated for some people to cope with

Quote:
ITD BE GREAT TO SEE HER GO NUMBER ONE
In my opinion, that'll never happen with the songs she's singing.
Old 02 Jul 2010, 06:08   #74
Elijah's way
Soul Auctioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Slice Of English View Post
Unfortunately it IS irrelevant because she is also very, very successful. Whether you like her or not.
Your point is?

Last edited by Elijah's way; 02 Jul 2010 at 06:17.
Elijah's way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jul 2010, 19:32   #75
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Nobody picked out you as saying you talk a load of old shit, it was a general comment on the thread, not a personal one ! You are not quoted in it, but now you mention it LOL.....
24K is offline   Reply With Quote