mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » Tyre Tracks & Broken Hearts

Old 04 Dec 2006, 19:32   #1
White of High
Nature's Siegfried

Default 89. Cry Over Me

This is the START OUT OF HELL & ARRIVE TO HEAVEN topic.
Let's Go to Rock 'n' Roll!!!!!!!

Cry Over Me (4)

This song is the reason why this album is not a real Bat Out Of Hell album. I really don't understand why Meat Loaf starts with Diane Warren. On Welcome To The Neighbourhood were 2 Warren songs. Not A Dry Eye In The House was okay, I'd Lie For you was a copy of Anything For Love, I never liked and I'm not alone with my emotions. On CHSIB there was You're Right, I Was Wrong what is one of the worst song on the album (Let's read Standing) and now here is another "pearl". This song is crappy, the story is simple and boring. Meat's voice is one of the best on this album but this song is about nothing interesting. I heard it million times. Almost I heard Ms. Warren's cliches and themes (like this one) in million ways on his career... Bad choice!

My score: 4

Last edited by White of High; 04 Dec 2006 at 19:43.
White of High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Dec 2006, 19:35   #2
geordieloaf
Can't You See My Faded Geordie Jeans Bursting Apart

I actually like it. I know the lyrics are a bit sappy but Meat's vocals are really good. For me it's not the weakest song on the album.
7/10
geordieloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Dec 2006, 19:52   #3
Monstro
Promoted to Wario's spellchecker

Shame on me but I really like this one, vocally it's great and it's a really emotional song - what I like in a song.

8/10
Monstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Dec 2006, 20:00   #4
mszee
Mega Loafer

Don't like it, don't like it, don't like it...

Tried very hard...still don't like it...not enough that it's very pop...it's also grossly overproduced in my opinion...

5/10
mszee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Dec 2006, 20:14   #5
luk.out.of.hell
Senior Loafer

the worst song on the album

4/10
luk.out.of.hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Dec 2006, 20:17   #6
LucyK!
The Monster Is Luce

Without knowing it, it turns out that the majority of my least favourite Meat songs are by Diane Warren, but this has got to be the exception, I love it, Meat's vocals at the end just get me every time!
LucyK! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Dec 2006, 20:52   #7
robgomm
Mega Loafer

Exclamation

Sounds to me like White Of High just has a vendetta against Diane Warren. Not A Dry Eye is widely viewed as one of Meats best ever songs (although there's many of those) and I absolutely love it, and the same goes for I'd Lie For You, which sounds nothing like Anything For Love by the way.

I actually like this song, in an interview Meat said it's the most emotional he's ever got singing a song and you can really hear the emotion in his voice as he sings this one. Maybe he's relating to his personal marriage breakup in this song but he really sings it very powerfully and emotionally, there's alot of anger in his voice. The song itself isn't the greatest ever written (still better than 99% of stuff written in the charts) but Meat makes it an excallant song, I love lsitening to it.

8 out of 10
robgomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Dec 2006, 21:11   #8
Bap
Super Loafer

9/10
Bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Dec 2006, 22:54   #9
evil nickname

Meh. Boring song, nothing noteworthy, and whoever wrote the vocal melody of the pre-chorus ("It's so easy for you-oooo-oooo-oooo / to feel nothing for meee-eeee-eeee-eeeee") should appologise to everyone who has the had the unfortunate pleasure of hearing that.

4/10 because I'm feeling generous.

(On a side note, of all the songs mrs. Warren wrote for mr. Loaf, I can only appreciate I'd Lie For You and Not A Dry Eye. Don't get me started on the others.)
evil nickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Dec 2006, 23:47   #10
JanT
Mega Loafer

I love this one, very angry, very emotional. (Reminds me of how I felt when I got dumped on my birthday.) So why do I love it?... 'Cause I got over it and moved on
10/10
JanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2006, 00:48   #11
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

id give it a 6.5, nice song.
duke knooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2006, 07:39   #12
sunneke
Mega Loafer

oeps you can delete this one, sorry
sunneke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2006, 07:40   #13
sunneke
Mega Loafer

A mistake song i would call it, although it's a nice song, nice lyrics, but not a meat song 7/10
sunneke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2006, 08:06   #14
Pudding
I'm A Prize Fight Lover...

Dianne Warren should have been beaten away with a large stick when Bat3 was being recorded, this song serves no purpose on the album.

2/10

Pud
Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2006, 14:06   #15
Bart
Bald Mega Loafer

I don't like this threats Pud. It'sd scary.
But this song is horrible. The intro is weak an indeed like Evil said the Easy for yououo-ououou-ououou part is so , just so, so.. so... boring, cheap and...and....unforgivable. Unforgivable that this song is on a Bat album. The intro, the music, the verses, the chorus, everything, just everything is so damn cheap and boring.
1/10.
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2006, 15:07   #16
MissAsh
Super Loafer

I love it. The emotion in the song, the anger... as soon as I heard it it became one of my favourites on the album and was stuck in my head for aaaages. Perhaps it's because it describes so perfectly how I've felt at one time or another, I dunno. I think it's amazing anyway, I'd love to hear it live but I know that won't happen.
10/10.
MissAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2006, 15:31   #17
Eddie's Teddy
Super Loafer

I really did not like this the first time I heard it but I have to confess it has grown on me. I like the end of the song where he gets higher and higher. Can really feel the emotion in there. Until that point it's ok and nothing more.

7/10
Eddie's Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2006, 15:56   #18
Hypnobabe
mszee's Mistress with sexy goddess boots

Sorry, I love this song... like others here, I love the emotion in it, and the sentiment behind it - comes down to having been abandoned by someone who said they loved me and would do for ever I suppose - it's like the Alanis Morrisette song, You Oughta Know...

10/10 from me
Hypnobabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2006, 19:21   #19
samurai7
Rock Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by White of High View Post
This is the START OUT OF HELL & ARRIVE TO HEAVEN topic.
Let's Go to Rock 'n' Roll!!!!!!!

Cry Over Me (4)

This song is the reason why this album is not a real Bat Out Of Hell album. I really don't understand why Meat Loaf starts with Diane Warren. On Welcome To The Neighbourhood were 2 Warren songs. Not A Dry Eye In The House was okay, I'd Lie For you was a copy of Anything For Love, I never liked and I'm not alone with my emotions. On CHSIB there was You're Right, I Was Wrong what is one of the worst song on the album (Let's read Standing) and now here is another "pearl". This song is crappy, the story is simple and boring. Meat's voice is one of the best on this album but this song is about nothing interesting. I heard it million times. Almost I heard Ms. Warren's cliches and themes (like this one) in million ways on his career... Bad choice!

My score: 4

Actually, Warren had THREE songs on WTTN. You forgot 'If This Is The Last Kiss'.
samurai7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2006, 20:17   #20
White of High
Nature's Siegfried

Yep... that's too bad for calling a song. :)
White of High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2006, 21:56   #21
needmoremeat
Mega Loafer

Don't like this one. Sounds like a B-side for CHSIB at most, never a Bat song. Like White of High said, heard it before. COM should not have been on album at all, not least after such a rip-roaring song like BFG, it really brings you crashing back down after being on a high from BFG, and you long for the next Steinman song to come on. Don't like the aforementioned pre-chorus lyrics, nor the Crrrrrrryyyyyy-eye-eyes.
However, do like Meat's vocals at the very end. One, because they're really powerful, and two, you know the song's nearly finished and we can get back to the good stuff
needmoremeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2006, 22:06   #22
Pudding
I'm A Prize Fight Lover...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
I don't like this threats Pud. It'sd scary.
What threat? It's a figurative saying that's supposed to be taken metaphorically and not literally. It's like if someone said "I wouldn't touch her with a 10 foot barge-pole" how many people do you know of that actually walk around with a barge-pole? It's only a saying.

Whilst we're on the subject of Dianne Warren and Cry Over Me, I thought her effort on CHSIB was pretty piss poor.

Pud
Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2006, 13:22   #23
Bart
Bald Mega Loafer

. Okay, sorry.

CHSIB is a well produced and very fine album. Don't know why Meat didn't choose Mokran for Booh 3. you're right I was wrong is pretty awfull but way better than the crap she wrote for Bat 3.
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2006, 14:56   #24
DanielF
Steinfan

Cry Over Me is the only song on the album I really don't like. I always switch to the next song when it starts lol
DanielF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2006, 15:51   #25
Lord Kagan
On the other hand, You have different fingers

Very emotional, powerful song, 8/10
Lord Kagan is offline   Reply With Quote