Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Life » Off Topic

Old 28 Dec 2016, 18:17   #6476
Adje
trying to be realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicLord View Post
Actually having thought about it some more I think 3/5 is more accurate.
For a second I thought you were correcting your LOTR rating
Adje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2016, 18:36   #6477
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adje View Post
For a second I thought you were correcting your LOTR rating
Lol no. Can't give it more than I already have 😂
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 28 Dec 2016, 18:39   #6478
Adje
trying to be realistic

Quote:
Lol no. Can't give it more than I already have 😂
Old 29 Dec 2016, 01:23   #6479
Sebastian.
Biggles

Star Wars - A New Hope.

This was one of my childhood films and I love every aspect... esepcially the Dambusters inspired Death Star Raid.. We will miss you Princes..
Sebastian. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2016, 05:11   #6480
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

The BFG 2016

A very sweet film, beautifully designed. The dream tree is a sight to behold. Well acted by both main leads although the actress playing Sophie does remind me of Early Hermione from the Harry Potter films from time to time.

The only problem with it for me is there is not a lot of drama to it. Children going missing, snatched from their beds in the middle of the night... you would think there would be grieving parents demanding action, frantic efforts by the authorities to get things under control, or at least give that impression. But no just one small headline. I couldn't massively invest in the mission to stop the giants given that we do not see or really hear about the bad things they do. Also, it doesn't really build to a finale. A series of mildly awkward situations arise and are dealt with largely without any particular challenges or mishaps.

The whizz popping scenes are however very funny and well handled, Penelope Wilton is as expected wonderful as the Queen, and Mark Rylance is moving as the BFG.

But ultimately while it is a nice film and entertaining enough it doesn't make a lasting impact due to the lack of drama.

3/5
Old 29 Dec 2016, 22:53   #6481
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

The Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King Extended Edition

Just stunning. A superb closer to the trilogy that brings the story of the ring full circle (sorry).

5/5.
Old 30 Dec 2016, 02:21   #6482
Adje
trying to be realistic

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls (2008 )

This and the Star Wars prequels are the reason that I am glad George Lucas sold Star Wars to Disney.

What the heck was Lucas thinking, while writing the story? I can screw up Indy more than I screwed up Star Wars?

Not the worst adventure movie in history, but this has nothing to do with Indiana Jones.

4,5/10
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 01 Jan 2017, 19:33   #6483
Adje
trying to be realistic

Star Trek (2009)

JJ Abrahams returned Star Wars to the fans and reinvented Star Trek for a large audience.

Basically Abrahams brought back the original characters, used a few inside jokes and stereotypes as a wink to the fans but most of all took all the boredom out of it.

I understand many Trekkies don't like the reboot. Because in all honesty they are nothing like Star Trek or Next Generation. The reboots are actually fast paced movies instead of those dragging pseudo science nonsense. I never liked the Star Trek movies. They always came across to me as a long tv episode without any extras. Abrahams approached the movies in an entire different way and created a 'larger than life' mythology for the characters and the Star Trek Universe.

Finally Star Trek has become something to enjoy. Thanks to the Steven Spielberg of the 21st Century.

7.5/10
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 02 Jan 2017, 04:42   #6484
Adje
trying to be realistic

Passengers (2016)

I understand it is meant to be a psychologic morality quest. But the movie failed on so many aspects.

First the movie was very predictable.

But there also were so many issues that make no sense at all. Just to maintain this plot the writers threw every logic overboard. The entire mission set up was so stupid even the toilet cleaners at NASA would shake their heads about it.

And finally the acting was nothing I expected from Jennifer Lawrence. So many 'key scenes' where she looked anything but convincing. Pratt of course can only play one role: Pratt.

I wanted to like this movie. But common sense prevented me from doing so

3/10
Old 02 Jan 2017, 09:23   #6485
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
Passengers (2016)

I understand it is meant to be a psychologic morality quest. But the movie failed on so many aspects.

First the movie was very predictable.

But there also were so many issues that make no sense at all. Just to maintain this plot the writers threw every logic overboard. The entire mission set up was so stupid even the toilet cleaners at NASA would shake their heads about it.

And finally the acting was nothing I expected from Jennifer Lawrence. So many 'key scenes' where she looked anything but convincing. Pratt of course can only play one role: Pratt.

I wanted to like this movie. But common sense prevented me from doing so

3/10
I actually thought this was ok. Saw it in the cinema yesterday. Gave the 3D version a miss as I just can't be arsed with it anymore.

Some stuff didn't make sense.

**SPOILERS**
Probably needed the following to be more memorable:

Far more character build up of the Laurence Fishburn character, more jokes. An interaction with him and the Michael Sheen bartender character possibly would have been the best acted scene in the whole film yet it was missing totally. Perhaps he should have been injured by the failing ship rather than weird unexplained waking from hibernation sleep malarky. Also the fact the sickbay pod thing can help resuscitate someone but not any of Fisburne's 61 problems made no sense. I would have had him injured terribly during the failing ship. Lawrence and Pratt get him to sickbay but the pod keeps failing because of electricity problems on the ship and then he dies. Pratt gets mad at the ship and this would have highlighted the significance to his later mission which seems a bit unimportant. Perhaps also show the hibernation pods in general are starting to fail etc. given more weight to the 5000 passengers thing...

How Lawrence could remember Fishburne's ID after I think he mentioned it only once was a bit far fetched. Maybe if he had said it 3 or 4 times in the movie, fair enough...

Some robots looked horrendous, for example during the birthday scene. And then they have an android bar tender that is indistinguishable from a human. Hmmm. Quite a few technology inconsistencies in the movie. Also the bartender can whip up any drink for free but Pratt has to make do with designated shit breakfast. Seems weird. Funny but totally unnecessary in the end. Different class passengers system made no sense to me and didn't add anything.

Some type of romantic tagline malarky that the actors kept repeating to make the movie more cohesive and poignant towards the end...
Jennifer Lawrence when she found out what Pratt did "So I saved you?! How could you do this to me."
Pratt should have saved Lawrence during the anti gravity scene Pratt "I saved you."
Lawrence after the blow out scene "I saved you."
Lawrence at the very end during narration when she explains what she eventually chose to do... "So... we saved each other."
etc...

Some scenes really reminded me of The Martian and Gravity. This movie borrowed a lot of ideas from other sci fi films for sure.

Other than that I'd rate it 7/10.
Pretty good effects.
The film was pretty much what I expected and I didn't expect too much.

Last edited by AndrewG; 02 Jan 2017 at 09:35.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2017, 10:23   #6486
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Star Wars Rogue One

An excellent film. Although we know the ending, how they get there is cleverly plotted and full of convincing challenges. This is emphatically not one of those films that the BBFC would describe as "sustained mild peril".

Initially lots of new characters and planets are introduced in a bit of a whirlwind and then the film spends a bit of time getting to know them and setting up their various parts in the whole. This is time well spent given the events of the third act which I will come to shortly.

The film looks gorgeous and has a lot more character background than you may be used to in a Star Wars film. The acting is also uniformly excellent and the dialogue is overall a little more natural.

Ultimately it doesn't quite have the sense of breezy fun that The Force Awakens had but then I don't think it intended to.

The third act, which is the actual plan stealing bit, is probably the best actual fight we have seen so far in Star Wars films and is worth the admission ticket price alone. Quite refreshingly it is not a blatant set up for a sequel, unless in the increasingly complicated Star Wars film franchise time line you count A New Hope as it's sequel.

Either way it's a fun, well acted, imaginative, visually impressive spin off that keeps you entertained and maintains your sense of excitement for the next Star Wars film.

4/5
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 03 Jan 2017, 16:54   #6487
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Suicide Squad.

Meh. A dark film with little wit. Ooh look no lighting and shadows everywhere to emphasise the darkness. Largely uninteresting characters... Harley Quin and the Joker were intriguing but the rest just bland.

It's a bit like the difference between the Fantastic Four films and Marvel. Sure it ticks all the boxes studios seem to think we want ticking but never really adds up to anything special.

For example... there's some sort of fiery fellow who is working with the films main baddy, Then one of the members of the Suicide Squad turns into another fiery fellow. And says "Bring it bitch". Would have been toe curling in a cheesy 90s B movie. Here it's just rubbish.

Marvel films and Christopher Nolan's superb Bat trilogy feel like they have been crafted by intelligent people who are at the top of their game and know what they are doing.

This film feels like it has been designed by a committee and then given to a safe pair of hands.

Sorry but not for me.

2/5.
Old 04 Jan 2017, 03:27   #6488
Adje
trying to be realistic

Quote:
Suicide Squad.

Meh. A dark film with little wit. Ooh look no lighting and shadows everywhere to emphasise the darkness. Largely uninteresting characters... Harley Quin and the Joker were intriguing but the rest just bland.
Sorry but not for me.

2/5.
Yup, the movie had potential but quickly got trapped in it's own chaos.Very underwhelming
Old 07 Jan 2017, 06:01   #6489
Adje
trying to be realistic

Sherlock - The six Tatchers (2017)

Big fan of the series but in all honestly I didn't like this one as much as the other Sherlock movie episodes.

7/10
Old 07 Jan 2017, 09:04   #6490
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Sherlock - The six Tatchers (2017)

Big fan of the series but in all honestly I didn't like this one as much as the other Sherlock movie episodes.

7/10
Agreed... seemed to be missing something. To be honest though I always tend to like the ones written by Steven Moffat better then the Mark Gatiss ones.
Old 07 Jan 2017, 09:09   #6491
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Psycho (the Alfred Hitchcock original of course!)

Still an excellent film with strong acting all round. Anthony Perkins is terrific as the sweet and bumbling Norman with the split personality. The film has an excellent aura of creepiness and dread about it, which many modern "horror" film makers would do well to learn from.

It's hard to see how it could be improved really which is why remaking it remains baffling to me.

5/5.
Old 07 Jan 2017, 15:05   #6492
Meat Loaf_fan
Super Loafer

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
To me (and not only to me) - it's better than Star Wars part 1,2,3. It has less force, more shooting.

Score: 8/10
Meat Loaf_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2017, 20:03   #6493
Adje
trying to be realistic

Star Trek Into Darkness (2012)

Good cntinuation of the reinvented Star Trek franchise. JJ Abrahams did good but I slightly prefer the first movie. The nod to the original story with Khan was a nice one. And it reminds me to never piss off Sherlock

7/10
Old 08 Jan 2017, 23:09   #6494
AndrewG

The Witch (2015)
Very meh, glad I skipped it at the cinema.
4/10
Old 09 Jan 2017, 12:12   #6495
AndyK
Relentless

Last few I've watched were :

The Grand Budapest Hotel - great film, live the stylised cartoon like feel to it and the performances by the all star cast were ego free and on point.

The Big Lebowski - how have I messed this all these years, the Country brothers at their best.

Sausage Party - what can I say, certainly not a family film and not one to watch if you shock easily probably best watched when you've had a few drinks! The Meat "cameo" is interesting and well done,
AndyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2017, 23:16   #6496
Adje
trying to be realistic

Star Trek Beyond (2016)

Third movie in the ST Reboot. Fun rollercoaster

7/10
Old 09 Jan 2017, 23:50   #6497
Cherry.Loaf
Los Angeloser

Watchmen again
Cherry.Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2017, 22:37   #6498
Adje
trying to be realistic

The Goonies (1985)

This movie just gets better and better. One of my top 5 of all time.

9,5/10
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 10 Jan 2017, 23:01   #6499
AndrewG

London Has Fallen (2016)

Pretty stupid. Dialogue was awful in places. Gerard Butler to president "Don't know bout you but I'm thirsty as F*ck". Cone on now...
Long shootout scene with Butler in streets of London was awesome though. Well done.
Movie was not good enough in the end. Poor CGI in places. 5/10
A third is on its way next year minus Eckhart "Angel has Fallen". Meh...
Old 13 Jan 2017, 01:18   #6500
Adje
trying to be realistic

Sully (2016)

Didn't really feel like watching the movie but, well I am married. It doesn't matter what I feel like

I have to admit that I enjoyed the movie. Hanks is performing as well as we know he can.

7/10